Some good boxing matches coming up . .

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Some good boxing matches coming up . .
« Reply #100 on: 14 Jun 2012, 03:47 am »
I thought it was sad, not hilarious... but he has nobody but himself to blame.

And apparently still does.  :duh:

I've never been a professional boxer, and I've never been to prison. I haven't been placed into "solitary" since I was about 8. But, if I was a professional boxer in solitary, I would certainly know how to work out; I would certainly know how to focus my psyche. He's a damned boxer

Move him to the general populace and call it a day.  :evil:

AUDFILE74

« Reply #101 on: 14 Jun 2012, 04:49 am »
Apparently bradley got braindamaged from fighting pac-man. he thinks he won the fight http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/06/11/boxing-beat-bradley-insists-he-beat-pacquiao-i-won-the-fight-28804.html

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #102 on: 14 Jun 2012, 10:44 am »
A little Floyd bragging before he went to jail :""Can't nothing break Floyd Mayweather. Whatever hand is dealt to you in life, you've got to deal with that hand," said Mayweather, 35. "That's called being a real man. When I'm in a fight, and I get hit with good shots, I say, 'no problem,' because it comes with the territory.""

A  quote from the judge who threw out the request "the judge called B.S. on Mayweather’s claim that he’s dehydrated behind bars — saying the boxer’s condition is “self-induced as water is made available to [Floyd] twenty-four hours a day.” As for Floyd’s gripe that he’s only consuming a fraction of the calories he needs — the judge says it’s because “(Floyd)chooses not to eat the food provided.”

jimdgoulding

« Reply #103 on: 14 Jun 2012, 04:04 pm »
The WBO announced today that their championship committee will review video of the Pacquiao fight with five “recognized international judges” and make a recommendation.

In the interim, Bob Arum has filed a formal request with the Nevada Attorney General for an inquiry into "the circumstances surrounding the fight".

Can't say I've ever seen this before...
Interesting.  They will probably make it so close it coulda gone either way to dispel the controversy.  Cover yer own ass, in other words.

paul canady

« Reply #104 on: 14 Jun 2012, 04:27 pm »
Apparently bradley got braindamaged from fighting pac-man. he thinks he won the fight http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/06/11/boxing-beat-bradley-insists-he-beat-pacquiao-i-won-the-fight-28804.html

what does it tell you when he has to watch the video to see if he won? I would have never said that but apparently he was still a little fuzzy in the brain.
He really lost the fight when he started backing up as pacman hunted him. If there is a next time Manny will make sure that it is out of the judges hands.

dB Cooper

« Reply #105 on: 15 Jun 2012, 12:58 am »

BEST.COMMENT.YET.

What prima donna female celeb was it that started "cracking up" a few days into a short sentence at a low-security prison.... was that Lindsay Lohan? Paris Hilton? Whoever it was, "tough guy" domestic abuser Floyd is being held accountable for something for the first time in his life. And he doesn't like it. And he's handling it like whoever that brat was.   B-Hop did hard time and made himself a better man. Doesn't look like "Money" is made of the same stuff.

AUDFILE74

« Reply #106 on: 15 Jun 2012, 08:12 pm »
i keep thinking mma has to do more to keep away from the path of boxing. that boxing has lost all cred is a message to mma to put on quality fights that are worth seeing. thanks db. i lost respect for mayweather when he BS'd his way out of fight pacman the first time. so nothing he does reallyh shocks me. paul that has to be at least in the top ten of BS fighter quotes . it would have been awesome to see him say that if pac-man had punched both his eyes shut , lol
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2012, 06:57 am by AUDFILE74 »

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #107 on: 15 Jun 2012, 11:42 pm »
One of the judges will be appearing on the Fight Game and will review the fight with Lamps...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #108 on: 15 Jun 2012, 11:45 pm »
One of the judges will be appearing on the Fight Game and will review the fight with Lamps...
I'll try and tune in.  Thanks.  Anybody know if the re-play, I'm assuming there will be one, on this weekend?  Network?

vortrex

« Reply #109 on: 15 Jun 2012, 11:53 pm »
I'm sure it will be on HBO before the chavez x lee fight.

dB Cooper

« Reply #110 on: 16 Jun 2012, 01:07 am »
Jimdgoulding- it will replay on hbo this weekend.

Heard that in an effort to improve the quality and credibility of judging for a rematch (if there is one), they have already announced not only the date but, in an unprecedented move, the judging team

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #111 on: 16 Jun 2012, 03:16 am »

Heard that in an effort to improve the quality and credibility of judging for a rematch (if there is one), they have already announced not only the date but, in an unprecedented move, the judging team

Lol.  They could only be an improvement.

dB Cooper

« Reply #112 on: 24 Jun 2012, 04:00 am »
In other news, Tarver tested positive for steroids after his last fight (he did kinda look like Bruce Banner after somebody made him angry) and Victor "Little Golota" Ortiz lost in a big upset to Josesito Lopez, gaining a broken jaw in the process and surrendering on his stool.

FWIW, Muhammad Ali fought 13 rounds with a broken jaw against Ken Norton...

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #113 on: 24 Jun 2012, 10:36 pm »
Well I know that I wouldn't eat jello with a broken jaw much less fight someone but a fighter is supposed to be able to do that.  I find it a bit tough b*tchin on someone for something like that but Victor has a history of mental meltdowns.  I guess he just doesn't have what it takes to be a champion...

vortrex

« Reply #114 on: 25 Jun 2012, 12:28 am »
unbelievable fight.  can't fault him for quitting with the broken jaw.  did you see how much he was bleeding from inside the mouth?  when he was walking back to the locker room he stopped in the hall and leaned forward, it was pouring out.  that said, before the broken jaw he started losing his mind again like he has in prior fights.

dB Cooper

« Reply #115 on: 30 Jun 2012, 03:38 am »
Pretty good article about Holyfield-Tyson "Bite Night", 15 years ago:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/the_bonus/06/28/tyson-holyfield-oral-history/index.html

They didn't mention that Mills Lane went over to the Holyfield corner after the first bite and told Holyfield he was DQ'ing Tyson. Holyfield's response was reportedly something along the lines of "Oh no you don't; I'm gonna knock him out", and Lane thought he deserved the chance. That is why it wasn't stopped after the first bite.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #116 on: 4 Jul 2012, 11:32 am »
Pac vs. Bradley is being shown on HBO daily now.  I watched it a second time trying to give Bradley every round I could and could only give him five.  I gave him the last last two, BTW.  Bradley was the better conditioned fighter to me and his cornerman was great thruout the fight getting Bradley to focus and with his encouragement.  When and if there is a rematch I think Pac will win convincingly if he puts the time in to his conditioning.  Bradley was able to take advantage of Pacman's lulls.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #117 on: 7 Jul 2012, 01:54 am »
Pac vs. Bradley is being shown on HBO daily now.  I watched it a second time trying to give Bradley every round I could and could only give him five.  I gave him the last last two, BTW.  Bradley was the better conditioned fighter to me and his cornerman was great thruout the fight getting Bradley to focus and with his encouragement.  When and if there is a rematch I think Pac will win convincingly if he puts the time in to his conditioning.  Bradley was able to take advantage of Pacman's lulls.

I've watched it again, too, and being as liberal as I could I gave Bradley four.

However, it seemed to me the big problem for Pac was that he was taking care of "The Show". He stopped when Bradley was hurt. He took it easy in the early part of the rounds. He let Bradley show his stuff, and then showed that he could beat the crap out of the guy at will. He was letting the PPV crowd get their money's worth, and winning the rounds, as well.

It almost seems like the judges scored the fight by "Well Pacquiao didn't knock him out, so Bradley won the round!"

I doubt there will be a rematch. It will cost Arum more to produce it than it will take in, or close enough to that scenario that *cash* is best used elsewhere. I think Bradley will fight a valid contender for the Title, lose, and Pacman will have a new date on his calendar. That's my prophecy, anyway.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

dB Cooper

« Reply #118 on: 7 Jul 2012, 03:56 am »
A vengeance fight for the biggest name in boxing coming off a highly controversial loss can't be that hard of a sell. I hope it happens. A friend who was watching "24/7" told me ahead of the fight that Manny wasn't in his usual shape and was "going down". While he thought Manny won also, the fact remains that if Manny could have done more, he should have. Someone once said "When you don't take an opponent seriously, he becomes a serious opponent." That may not be what happened, but one of Pacquiao's trademarks was always making his opponent fight every minute of every round. Maybe his age is catching up with him a little (as it is with Floyd IMO), but if Manny wants to be successful against Bradley he has to be a little busier.

Another mistake Manny made was that he found Bradley's head so easily, he let up on the body attack somewhat. there's no way somebody whose ankle was twisted and/or broken should have been moving like that, late in the fight. More body work and he's right there for the head shots.

I think Bradley gets rescued by the ref in 10 against a fully motivated, fully prepared, strategically on-point, pissed-off Pacquiao.

jackman

« Reply #119 on: 7 Jul 2012, 06:15 pm »
It's hard to find fault in Manny's performance or strategy. He soundly beat a guy who tried to run and fight not to lose. Bradley had zero chance and I think Manny will easily win the rematch.

The rematch will depend on Floyd's willingness to give Manny a fight. If Manny can't get a fight with Floyd, he'll probably fight Bradley again.  Don't count on a sure knockout because If Brsdley runs and fights defensively, he will get beat again. Just don't count on another favorable decision for Bradley.  Not this time.