Some good boxing matches coming up . .

jimdgoulding

Re: Some good boxing matches coming up . .
« Reply #160 on: 9 Sep 2012, 07:46 am »
Ya'll help me out.  When is The Martinez/Chavez fight?  Thanks.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #161 on: 9 Sep 2012, 08:22 am »
Ya'll help me out.  When is The Martinez/Chavez fight?  Thanks.

Try using Google and help yourself bud, it's a great informative tool.  :thumb:

OK,,, 9/15 on PPV starting 9 pm est and for only a nickel short of 60 bucks. Yeah, I Googled too.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #162 on: 9 Sep 2012, 09:07 am »
Try using Google and help yourself bud, it's a great informative tool.  :thumb:

OK,,, 9/15 on PPV starting 9 pm est and for only a nickel short of 60 bucks. Yeah, I Googled too.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin
Should be able to find a dive round town somewhere for this one.  I will be looking.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #163 on: 9 Sep 2012, 12:07 pm »
I have a great site to see the fight after it is over.  PM  me for the URL.

mjosef

« Reply #164 on: 10 Sep 2012, 01:23 am »
Dawson was totally outclassed, Ward was all over him like white on rice.
Dawson just gave up, not having the heart of a champion. You can hear him telling the ref "its over, I'm done..."
Ward can easily add on 7lbs and do the same to Dawson at light heavy.

I don't see CHavez having any chance over SergioM. THis fight will be like Ward/Dawson, with Sergio putting a beatdown on Chavez.
Chavez is just coasting on his father's legacy, no dedication in his training at all.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #165 on: 10 Sep 2012, 01:36 am »
I don't see CHavez having any chance over SergioM. THis fight will be like Ward/Dawson, with Sergio putting a beatdown on Chavez.
Chavez is just coasting on his father's legacy, no dedication in his training at all.
I disagree. Lately Chavez has been standing toe to toe and beating apposing fighters to the punch with his speed and ringmanship. Earlier on in his career, I'd agree with both you & Jackman but the Chavez of late is his own man and has been fighting as such.

That said, I'll wait a week for the HBO repeat of this fight,, or any PPV fight for that matter.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

jackman

« Reply #166 on: 10 Sep 2012, 01:47 am »
Hi Robin,

I'm not saying Chavez is going to get killed. He has looked great in recent fights and has won so many skeptics over, including me. He is big and very strong and he can punch. I question his commitment and dedication after seeing the HBO special but would not be surprised if he knocks out Martinez.  I hope the winner fights Golovkin. 

I'm not a big fan of Martinez but he looks so focused and he's a slick fighter.  Chavez has the tools to beat him, I'm not sure he has the experience to do it. Either way, I'm excited about the fight. Chavez isn't dodging anyone!

Cheers

Jack

dB Cooper

« Reply #167 on: 11 Sep 2012, 01:31 am »
Dawson was totally outclassed, Ward was all over him like white on rice.
Dawson just gave up, not having the heart of a champion. You can hear him telling the ref "its over, I'm done..."
Ward can easily add on 7lbs and do the same to Dawson at light heavy.

Makes you think how different Hopkins -Dawson would have been if Hopkins had been 10 years younger when they fought. He should retire and become one of the great corner men.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #168 on: 12 Sep 2012, 04:15 pm »
Pacman vs. Marquez 4?  Read today Arum is trying to put this together.  Marquez has stated that he would never fight in Vegas again.  If Arum is serious, meet the man's terms.  Don't know where this leaves Bradley.  Don't tell me . . Mayweather?  Bet Pac won't fight Marquez in Mexico City, don't you?

dB Cooper

« Reply #169 on: 12 Sep 2012, 04:49 pm »
Oh God no, not another inconclusive Pacman-Marquez fight. Enough already.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #170 on: 12 Sep 2012, 05:28 pm »
Oh God no, not another inconclusive Pacman-Marquez fight. Enough already.

AGREED! That match never has and never will make up for the Pacman/Mayweather nonfight that everyone has gotten tired of waiting for it to happen.  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

jackman

« Reply #171 on: 12 Sep 2012, 05:42 pm »
I'm not interested in seeing that fight again.  Nor am I interested in seeing Bradley fight Pac Man or anyone else.  The only fight for Manny should be Floyd.  This is why people are getting fed up with boxing. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #172 on: 12 Sep 2012, 06:58 pm »
Well, Arum knows that and I agree.  Maybe Pac would want this fight even tho we don't.  It's a big payday without much risk.  He knows the opponent well.  Marquez would easily beat Bradley.  Bradley's people sure won't be taking a Marquez fight if ever proposed.  Then there's Mayweather.  Hmmm, what does his future look like?  He's already rich, we know that.  This might be the hottest division today but it doesn't look sustaining for fans.

jackman

« Reply #173 on: 12 Sep 2012, 07:17 pm »
Middleweights are way more exciting to me at the moment.   Eventually people will no longer care if Floyd and Manny ever meet in the ring.  The whole allure was that the two best pound for pound fighters were going to square off.  If their skills are diminished with age, boredom or prison (in the case of floyd), who cares if these guys fight and who will pay money?  People will just move on, if they haven't already. 

Lots of good fighters coming on the scene in the Middleweight/Supermiddleweight class.  I'm more excited about the upcoming Chavez/Martinez fight than any Manny or Floyd fight...unless they fight eachother.  If that fight doesn't happen within the 6-9 months (okay, make it a year), it will be too late to be relevant.  If Floyd or Manny looks bad in a tune-up fight, the luster of their "best versus best" hype will vanish.  The fight will just be a couple old guys with diminished skills cashing in on their faded reputations.  No thanks.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #174 on: 12 Sep 2012, 08:23 pm »
Yep, I'm gettin on my hoss to see the Chave/Martinez fight at a Mexican bar/cafe on Saturday.  Much more fun than whitebread bars.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #175 on: 12 Sep 2012, 09:03 pm »
Crap!  I can't find a place online!  Wonder if it's because the fight can be bought on HBO.  If something doesn't show up in the paper, I'm screwed.  I could buy it but I won't.  I'd rather spend more money and drink some beer with fans.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #176 on: 12 Sep 2012, 09:11 pm »
Crap!  I can't find a place online!  Wonder if it's because the fight can be bought on HBO.  If something doesn't show up in the paper, I'm screwed.  I could buy it but I won't.  I'd rather spend more money and drink some beer with fans.

Seems any bar with cable or dish should be able to purchase many PPV fight for their customers be it HBO or Showtime,,,, uneless there's some law against public establishments doing that.  :dunno:

Jack's right about the Manny/Mayweather fight. Each have reached their peak IMHO and the shine for that fight grows dimmer as the time flies by. What could have been,,,,,,,,,

Cheers,
Robin

dB Cooper

« Reply #177 on: 12 Sep 2012, 09:37 pm »
Seems any bar with cable or dish should be able to purchase many PPV fight for their customers be it HBO or Showtime,,,, uneless there's some law against public establishments doing that.  :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

They can, but a license like that can cost several thousand dollars.

jackman

« Reply #178 on: 12 Sep 2012, 09:52 pm »
Depending on where you live, YMMV, most bars are required to pay a higher rate than a normal household to show a PPV fight.  I remember a few years back, okay longer than a few, lots of bars in my old neighborhood were busted for paying the $50 PPV rate and showing a big fight to their customers.  There is a big fine, etc.  It was easy to catch them because they advertised in local papers.  Most legit bars that show PPV fights are usually required to pay a higher (substantially) fee and they usually have to charge each person in attendence a relatively high price to recoup their costs.  The liscense is based on the size of the venue. 

If you go to a bar that shows a PPV fight and doesn't charge you, they are living dangerously.  It still happens and bars in tough neighborhoods or smaller places probably push the envelope more than large, whitebread bars. 

If you to a bar in the rough part of town, just make sure to cheer for the right guy.  Cheering for the wrong guy, in the wrong bar, could result in you becoming an unwilling participant in a fight of your very own...one in which the Marquess of Queensberry Rules do not apply. 

jackman

« Reply #179 on: 12 Sep 2012, 10:10 pm »
Oh, another fight coming up is Canelo Alvarez vs Josesito Lopez.   I can't belive they are making Lopez step up to fight a much bigger man but it looks like Kirkland has a shoulder injury (some people speculate he is faking it because Golden Boy doesn't want their top two Junior MW attractions to fight eachother just yet) and he is still recovering.  I'm not a fan of Alvarez because he is a bit of a "golden boy", and looks like a punk.  And he is a fat faced ginger. 

Lopez has almost zero chance of winning (he's a true 140 pounder), but he's a good dude and I'm glad he's getting a payday.  I credit him for taking this fight and for taking out the head-case, Victor Ortiz.  Alvarez is a big puncher and ultra-aggressive fighter.  I'd love to see him lose but don't count on it.