Some good boxing matches coming up . .

jimdgoulding

Re: Some good boxing matches coming up . .
« Reply #120 on: 7 Jul 2012, 06:28 pm »
I should think Manny would want a rematch with Bradley for his next fight.  It's Bradley who may want a fight in the interim, seems to me.  If I were Bradley, I would.  Anybody know if either fighter was guaranteed a rematch? 

jackman

« Reply #121 on: 7 Jul 2012, 06:50 pm »
After that bad decision that went Bradley's way, I can't imagine anyone wanting to see him fight anyone but Bradley.  No one I've ever met or spoke with believes Bradley won.  Besides, I believe the rematch clause was part of the original deal.

Bradley has to beat Manny to prove he is legitimate. I don't think it's probable but in boxing anything is possible. I wouldn't bet on Bradley winning again.  Floyd could possibly look for a Bradley fight but what would that prove?  That both guys could beat Bradley?  don't we already know that?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #122 on: 7 Jul 2012, 09:21 pm »
Follow the money.  Arum's money.  I do not trust that man.  I bet Floyd is having some sleepless nights thinking about that fight.

jackman

« Reply #123 on: 7 Jul 2012, 10:00 pm »
Agreed.  There is no bigger money fight for Bradley than Manny.  If I was Manny, I'm not sure I would take the rematch. He already soundly beat Bradley. What does he have to prove by beating him again?  Floyd needs to grow some balls and make the fight with Manny...before both fighters are too old to make it a good one.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #124 on: 7 Jul 2012, 10:29 pm »
That makes sense, but, Floyd may want a Bradley fight first.  Manny is on the outs now.  Here's hoping he has a veddy good rematch clause.  Bradley can't hang in that mix.  He ougtta fight twice before he faces either of those guys.  If he does, then Manny and Floyd should materialize but Manny is not in as good of a bargining position without defeating Bradley first.  Shoot, we may never see that fight!

For Manny to get an equal split of the purse with Floyd now, he's got to beat Bradley.  Bradley is in the driver's seat cause both parties will pay dearly to get him in the ring.  Hope that rematch clause Manny has helps we fans out, and soon. 

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #125 on: 8 Jul 2012, 01:00 am »
Per Bob Arum it was in the original contract that if Manny lost he would get a rematch with Bradley in November.  I would guess that Bradley having signed is contractually obligated to give Manny the rematch if Manny wants it.  Bradley made 5 million$ for the first fight.  Pacquiao 25m$ plus a % on ppv.  I am willing to venture that both guys are ok with doing a rematch...  Arum as an HBO slot for November 10 and Manny will be in it one way or the other...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #126 on: 8 Jul 2012, 02:11 am »
Fair to fans.  Hope it happens.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #127 on: 8 Jul 2012, 04:06 am »
That Donaire fight was frustrating!  At the end I was yelling at the TV, "cut off the ring" ... "pressure him!".  How many times could Donaire have held Mathebula in the corner and let loose with a flurry?  But instead he seemed content to throw one big punch then stand back and see if it had any effect.  And the entire last 8 rounds was Donaire just following him around the ring, never tried to cut off the ring and close the distance. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #128 on: 13 Jul 2012, 02:23 am »
David Haye (who lost every round in a non-effort against Wladimir Klitschko his last time out) and Dereck Chisora (who spat water in the face of W. Klitschko in the ring before his one sided loss to Vitaly) will meet in the ring this Saturday to decide the title of the biggest asshole in boxing. Apparently the fight will be on EpixHD.com. (I'll probably miss the live showing in favor of the Capitol Area Audio Fest. Short of Tyson biting Holyfield's ear off, Chisora's act was the most disgraceful act I have seen in the ring, and as big of a horse's ass blowhard as Haye is, I hope he beats up Chisora real bad.

fredgarvin

« Reply #129 on: 13 Jul 2012, 02:53 am »
Forget the duck artist Mayweather and Manny the ripped off, the biggest fight coming down the pike is the masterful Sergio Martinez vs Julio Caeser Chavez jR for the WBC Middleweight title.

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/day-three-chavez-jr-martinez-press-tour-123501

jimdgoulding

« Reply #130 on: 13 Jul 2012, 03:01 am »
"Masterful" Martinez?  That mean you think he wins?  I dunno bout that.  Chavez is the kind of fighter boxing promoters like.  Handsome.  Pedigreed.   But, of course, the way to make one big fight into two is just like Pacquiao/Bradley.  Hmmm, maybe we oughta take Martinez.

dB Cooper

« Reply #131 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:46 pm »
This fight has been talked about for a long time but I didn't realize it had finally been made. Martinez by TKO late; if it goes to the cards, party boy/meal ticket Chavez will probably get the nod. Should be good.

As far as Chavez Jr, can anybody visualize him beating a prime Hagler, or Hopkins, or Roy Jones? Me neither.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #132 on: 13 Jul 2012, 04:57 pm »
If there was any justice in the world both Haye and Chisora will get knocked out  :lol:.

I find the Chavez- Martinez fight intriguing.  Chavez has a solid chin and is a huge middleweight who throws heavy stuff to the body.  Martinez is athletic with an unpredictable style and good power but he a is smallish middleweight.  If he can't hurt Chavez he may be in for a long night...

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #133 on: 13 Jul 2012, 05:03 pm »

As far as Chavez Jr, can anybody visualize him beating a prime Hagler, or Hopkins, or Roy Jones? Me neither.

I didn't think much of Chavez but in his last few fights he has greatly improved.  And he has proven that he doesn't wilt easily under pressure.  I think we will have the definite answer to your question after the Martinez fight.

I haven't seen too many of his father's fights but the ones I did see did not leave me in awe of his skills.  Still he got the job done, at one point JC Chavez had 87 wins, 1 draw and 0 losses...

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #134 on: 13 Jul 2012, 05:21 pm »
I keep seeing this thread come up and thought y'all might want to see a recent boxing match we staged...

:)

dB Cooper

« Reply #135 on: 14 Jul 2012, 02:39 am »
I didn't think much of Chavez but in his last few fights he has greatly improved.  And he has proven that he doesn't wilt easily under pressure.  I think we will have the definite answer to your question after the Martinez fight.

I haven't seen too many of his father's fights but the ones I did see did not leave me in awe of his skills.  Still he got the job done, at one point JC Chavez had 87 wins, 1 draw and 0 losses...

Chavez is under the watch of Freddie Roach now, one of the best trainers out there. Whatever his potential, Roach can get him there.

His father was a great pressure fighter who succeeded in spite of having slow hands, especially for the lightweight division where speed abounds. He almost always found his opponents somehow (except Pernell Whitaker, who got robbed in the draw django refers to in the worst decision I EVER saw).

Oh, and very funny, Peter....  :lol:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #136 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:28 pm »
Khan vs Garcia was pretty good. For any one who might have missed it, it should replay on HBO.

dB Cooper

« Reply #137 on: 17 Jul 2012, 01:06 am »
Khan has good skills but is a frontrunner. He looked great until he got nailed solidly. While anybody can get KO'd if the right punch lands, it has now happened to Khan twice, relatively early in his career. While he may be viable up to a point, it seems very unlikely that he will ever be the elite fighter HBO and others thought he would become.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #138 on: 18 Jul 2012, 03:04 am »
A lot of people think Khan has too much heart for his own good.  He could have fought the fight from the outside and got a boring decision, which would have been smart.  Instead he went for the knock out and gave us a pretty good scrap while it lasted...
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2012, 11:15 am by django11 »

jackman

« Reply #139 on: 19 Jul 2012, 03:32 am »
A lot of people think Khan as too much heart for his own good.  He could have fought the fight from the outside and got a boring decision, which would have been smart.  Instead he went for the knock out and gave us a pretty good scrap while it lasted...

I agree with this statement completely!  Khan is a game, scrappy young guy. He took unnecessary chances and lost, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm a fan and look forward to the rematch.  He is more skilled than Garcia and cold have jabbed and kept the fight outside but he chose to be aggressive and got caught.  I actually like Garcia as well and look forward to the fight.  It's tough because I like both fighters!

Oh, regarding Julio Cesear Chavez Sr., I regard him as the best Mexican fighter of all time. He was a big puncher for his weight, went to the body with brutal precision, was hard to hit and had the heart of a champion.  He will always be the prototypical Mexican fighter with a great left hook, and always moving forward.  He continued fighting long after he had lots of miles on the odometer and was still able to beat some tough guys.  A true champion.

I also believe Whitacker beat him. Pernell was in his prime and Julio was on the down slide at the time.  Whittaker was the best defensive fighter I have ever seen when he was in his prime.  Also, some of the fastest hands I have ever seen. He doesn't get the credit he deserves. one of the greatest fighters I have ever seen.

The young Chavez has earned my respect. He is a huge middleweight and is very strong. He lacked commitment early in his career but has looked very tough in recent fights.  If he stays focused, I like him in this upcoming fight. Sergio is good but he has never fought anyone as big and string as Chavez.  He will never have the success of his father but he has impressed me lately.