Some good boxing matches coming up . .

jimdgoulding

Re: Some good boxing matches coming up . .
« Reply #180 on: 12 Sep 2012, 10:28 pm »
The "Gentleman's" bars used to be the go to places for fights where I'm at.  That seems to have changed probably do to the above.  Last big fight I saw was at was a chicken joint that served beer and wine.  It was a great crowd.  Mostly Latino.   

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #181 on: 13 Sep 2012, 12:06 am »
Oh, another fight coming up is Canelo Alvarez vs Josesito Lopez.   I can't belive they are making Lopez step up to fight a much bigger man but it looks like Kirkland has a shoulder injury (some people speculate he is faking it because Golden Boy doesn't want their top two Junior MW attractions to fight eachother just yet) and he is still recovering.  I'm not a fan of Alvarez because he is a bit of a "golden boy", and looks like a punk.  And he is a fat faced ginger. 

Lopez has almost zero chance of winning (he's a true 140 pounder), but he's a good dude and I'm glad he's getting a payday.  I credit him for taking this fight and for taking out the head-case, Victor Ortiz.  Alvarez is a big puncher and ultra-aggressive fighter.  I'd love to see him lose but don't count on it.

Ortiz was supposed to fight Alvarez so it is fitting imo that Lopez gets the fight and the payday.  I like Alvarez, at 22 he has 41 professional fights which is pretty rare nowadays.  Not sure what you mean about him being a Golden Boy.  That moniker could apply to Chavez, or that is what Martinez thinks anyway.

dB Cooper

« Reply #182 on: 15 Sep 2012, 11:34 pm »
I don't think Lopez is being forced to step up; I think he saw an opportunity and decided the risk was worth it relative to the payday. It is likely a "Bridge Too far" though.

I will be rooting hard for Martinez in the main event.

fredgarvin

« Reply #183 on: 16 Sep 2012, 03:36 pm »
Martinez showed Junior just what he showed Pavlik, excellent movement and quick combinations. Even when Pavlik was taking the middle rounds the quick combinations took their toll in the later rounds. Junior showed some determination at the end, give him credit for that , he took a beating all night.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #184 on: 16 Sep 2012, 04:20 pm »
Apparently Martinez broke his left hand and tore ligaments in his left knee which is unfortunate as it will keep him out of action for a while.  Chavez was huge and will be a handful for any middleweight not named Martinez.  I really hope to see him against Golovkin.

Canelo put on a great performance.  I want to see him in with a real threat now.  Cotto or Mayweather would be good.

jackman

« Reply #185 on: 16 Sep 2012, 05:30 pm »
I would love to see a rematch if Chavez and Martinez. Chavez had him down and almost finished him off in the 12th.  A very determined performance from a guy who many , including me, challenged his commitment.  He took a pounding for the whole fight and never gave up.  I'd love to see Golovkin fight Martinez.  That would be an awesome fight that I'd pay to see.

Canelo's fight was no surprise.  Lopez had no shot against a bigger stronger and more skilled opponent. Not taking away anything from Canelo but he needs to step op to some stronger competition. I'd like to see him fight James Kirkland or even Martinez. Canelo has a big frame and can easily step up if he chooses. He has speed, skill and serious power.  I've become a fan, but Willl not waste time watching him fight easy opponents. Berto is available and would be a good opponent.  Also , maybe Cotto.

Boxing has gotten a lot more interesting lately!

dB Cooper

« Reply #186 on: 16 Sep 2012, 11:59 pm »
Unfortunately. jackman, it will soon take a turn in probably the opposite direction as it has been announced that Pacquiao will fight Marquez... again... in yet another fight which will likely prove nothing other than that Marquez has a knack for making Manny look bad.

Manny supposedly took JMM over Bradley because there was more money there due to JMM's Mexican fan base. (Cotto, another guy on the short list, took another fight.)

Now we all know that if Manny wants more money, one good way to get it would be to fight Money, but I for one have pretty much given up on that one.

Sorry Manny, I understand the monetary incentive but a Bradley rematch would have been much more significant. I won't be watching this fight.

PS, Amir Khan has fired Freddie Roach and will be getting a new trainer. What he really needs is a new chin. Roach's parting advice to Team Khan was reportedly "Avoid punchers."

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #187 on: 17 Sep 2012, 02:57 am »
Just ran across this: http://sweetboxingvideos.wordpress.com/

Enjoy!

jackman

« Reply #188 on: 17 Sep 2012, 12:10 pm »
Django, great site.  I watched the Chavez fight again and can't get over his lack of aggressiveness early in the fight.  Who knows what would have happened if he got off earlier than the last round.  Perhaps He lacks the experience to solve Ramirez's style. Young Julio lacks his dad's killer instinct. He needs to get mean.

dB Cooper

« Reply #189 on: 17 Sep 2012, 10:35 pm »
His dad definitely did have that; it often made up for his relative lack of speed. One of the best finishers of the last 20 years.
That said, he got completely schooled by Pernell Whitaker and wouldn't give him his props. Worst decision I have ever seen, beating Pacquiao-Bradley by a mile.

jackman

« Reply #190 on: 18 Sep 2012, 12:20 am »
Pernell beat him but Manny/Bradley was a worse decision.  It's hard to give a guy a title when he fights backing up.  It's not fair but boxing has some strange traditions and that's one of them. 

The old man had a lot of miles on him by the time he fought Whitaker and it might have been a different story if Chavez met him in his prime.  I met Lou Douva in a bar one night and discussed that fight.  I told him Pernel won and he of course agreed.   He was a good guy and didn't have much to say about the fight.  Witacker was the best defensive fighter I've ever seen.  It's a shame his lifestyle hindered his performance in later years. 

Chavez senior was also a great defensive fighter. It was amazing to see him fight inside and so aggressively, and major get hit with solid punches. Even when he did get hit, he was never hurt.  I hated him at the time but have come to appreciate his skill as one of boxing's best ever.  Junior inherited his chin but not his killer instinct.  Senior had no respect for any opponent in the ring.  Mexican Macho but he backed it up.

I have no problem with boxers feel they won fights (on the judges cards) they clearly lost.  It takes supreme confidence to step in the ring against world class opponents.  I suspect Chavez senior never felt another man was his superior in the ring.  He was from a different era. One in which fighters didn't always hug their opponent and shake hands after a tough fight.  I wish his son would have inherited some of his father's meanness. He's tough, but not mean.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #191 on: 18 Sep 2012, 12:37 am »
Nice site!  That first 6 rounder was fierce.

dB Cooper

« Reply #192 on: 18 Sep 2012, 01:12 am »
We'll see how long that site stays up. Bet it won't last long..

I still hold that Whitaker-Chavez was the worse of the two but arguing over that is sorta like arguing over which smells worse, cow shit or horse shit  :icon_lol:

Anybody excited about Pacquiao-Marquez 4 yet?

Didn't think so  :deadhorse:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #193 on: 18 Sep 2012, 11:31 am »
We'll see how long that site stays up. Bet it won't last long..

I still hold that Whitaker-Chavez was the worse of the two but arguing over that is sorta like arguing over which smells worse, cow shit or horse shit  :icon_lol:

Anybody excited about Pacquiao-Marquez 4 yet?

Didn't think so  :deadhorse:

I think the boxing powers that be should leave it up.  It is a good way to make fans seeing that boxing is not on regular tv anymore.  Without boxing on the internet up here in Canada I would hardly get any fights.  During it's season Friday Night Fights is aired at midnight on Friday.  Showtime is unavailable in my neck of the woods.  I have HBO now but that is barely a fight a month. Without the internet I would not watch boxing.  I have another site that I am a member of where I can download fights.  I have been a member since Jan 2006 and I haven't heard of any threats to close it down.  It is free promotion for them...

"Anybody excited about Pacquiao-Marquez 4 yet? "

It seems that the Mexicans are and they gave us such a great day of boxing on Mexican Independence Day that I won't begrudge them the fight.  If Marquez steps up his game and KOs Pac then you can look forward to Pacquiao-Marquez 5!

fredgarvin

« Reply #194 on: 18 Sep 2012, 04:30 pm »
There's talk of Pavlik and Froch in November. Pavlik was supposed to fight Junior if he had won. Froch has good movement, which was what Sergio and Hopkins used to beat Kelly. Froch is no Martinez though. Should be a good fight.

I watched a replay of the 12th  rnd, Sergio and Junior, man Martinez is a standout fighter, even better the second time.

Sergio makes me miss Calzaghe. They make Chavez look like a plodder.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #195 on: 18 Sep 2012, 07:02 pm »
They make Chavez look like a plodder.

He is. :wink:

jackman

« Reply #196 on: 18 Sep 2012, 07:10 pm »
Yep, that's his style.  Walk you down and pound on you.  I've watched the fight again and he was one solid punch away from putting Sergio to sleep in that twelfth round.   The matador won this time but I wouldn't count the kid out.  Hopefully he learned from this fight. 

I went from hating Chavez to respecting his heart.  He is a plodder, no doubt.

dB Cooper

« Reply #197 on: 18 Sep 2012, 10:18 pm »
Hey, his old man was a plodder, nothing flashy about him, but he used to have this habit of leaving opponents on the deck.

One of my "fantasy" matches has always been Chavez Sr. vs Roberto Duran at 135. What a barnburner THAT would have been.

jackman

« Reply #198 on: 18 Sep 2012, 10:23 pm »
And the winner gets Aaron Prior!  Duran dodged Prior but that would have been a great one.  My money would have been on Prior.  As long as there is no drug testing involved.

dB Cooper

« Reply #199 on: 18 Sep 2012, 10:49 pm »
The trash talk alone would have been worth the PPV money.