Some good boxing matches coming up . .

jimdgoulding

Some good boxing matches coming up . .
« on: 29 Apr 2012, 03:04 am »
Anybody think Bernard Hopkins can defeat Dawson tonite?  As much as I respect Hopkins ability, he's gotta lose sometime.  I'll be surprised if it isn't tonite.  I'd like to see him win, but his opponest is bigger, younger, and has got to be more determined than ever.  Hopkins is 47 years old.  He's a fit 47- I don't think he has any unhealthy habits- and he's a very savvy fighter, but it's gotta end for him sometime.  Tonite?  I think maybe, yes.

At the end of the second round, Hopkins looks good.  He bringin the fight to Dawson.

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: Some good boxing matches coming up . .
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2012, 03:27 am »
At the 6th Popkins still looking good...  Not so good now...

mjosef

Hopkins at 47...
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2012, 04:32 am »
Dayem...even though Bernard lost tonight( I agreed with the decision), he sure didn't look 47 most of the night/fight, he faded somewhat in the last third of the fight, but I was amazed at his reflexes...Chad Dawson is 'merely' 18 years his junior.  :o

Thumbs up for the old man!  :thumb:

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: Hopkins at 47...
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2012, 11:50 am »
   Amazing...

Dayem...even though Bernard lost tonight( I agreed with the decision), he sure didn't look 47 most of the night/fight, he faded somewhat in the last third of the fight, but I was amazed at his reflexes...Chad Dawson is 'merely' 18 years his junior.  :o

Thumbs up for the old man!  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2012, 12:55 am »
So, anybody think Cotto can beat Mayweather?  Bradley beat Pacman?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2012, 01:09 am »
So, anybody think Cotto can beat Mayweather?  Bradley beat Pacman?

If Pacman put a fierce beatdown on Cotto I don't see Cotto beating Floyd.  Puncher's chance maybe...

Pacman looked so fantastic against Cotto but so ordinary against Marquez  :scratch:.  Pac has gone off women and booze and got god...  Not sure if that is good or bad for a fighter.  I'll pick Pacman against Bradley...

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2012, 02:44 am »
I admire B-Hop but for God's sake, enough already, what is there left to prove. Didn't see the fight but heard Dawson impressed almost nobody. Bernard should retire and become one of the best trainers in the business.

Floyd is very good at picking fighters that can't really threaten him. If Cotto can put some pressure on him, like Castillo did, he'll have his moments but smart money is on Floyd.

Similarly, smart money is on Manny but Bradley is skilled, although not a banger. Unless Manny has gotten gun shy, he should take over somewhere between the 7th and the 9th. This one is more likely to be entertaining than Mayweather vs Cotto IMHO. Would love to see Floyd go in a shocker upset though.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2012, 03:06 am »
I admire B-Hop but for God's sake, enough already, what is there left to prove. Didn't see the fight but heard Dawson impressed almost nobody. Bernard should retire and become one of the best trainers in the business.

I don't know what motivates Bernard but he could still beat a good percentage of the top fighters out there.  Dawson didn't impress because Bernard didn't let him. The old guy still has great reflexes, good legs and a masterful head butt, pretty impressive...

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2012, 01:17 am »
A picture of a ko punch on the undercard.  Untouched photo. :duh: 

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2012, 01:28 am »
Dawson didn't impress partly because impress is not what Dawson does. He is a boring fighter which is why he has almost no fan base. Yeah, Hopkins can still beat a lot of ranked fighters, but... what for? Why risk ending up like Tommy Hearns, who can barely talk... Evander Holyfield who can barely think... Muhammad Ali who can't dress himself? There's still guys Evander can beat; in fact, a lot of people thought he beat Valuev a couple years ago for a piece of the title. Eventually guile will no longer be enough, Bernard will miscalculate and take the ass whupping he has managed to avoid thus far. What is left to prove? A record for successful defenses in one of the toughest divisions out there (to say nothing of his other achievements) oughta be enough.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2012, 02:17 am »
Agreed.  Hope Bernard looks for an announcing job instead.

Tonight.  I can't see Cotto winning accept for him landing a goodnight punch and I don't like those odds either.  I hope he is not humiliated.  Give him hell, Miguel, and may the stars be with you. 

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2012, 07:05 pm »
Well,  Cotto did allright and wasn't shamed.  Mayweather is so hard to hit... incredibly slick defense!  The most entertaining Floyd fight I can remember.

Canelo-Mosley was pretty good too...

jackman

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2012, 07:35 pm »
Just a couple comments/questions. 

Cotto/Mayweather - Is anyone surprised at the outcome of the Cotto/Mayweather fight last night?  Cotto was game, and is a pretty good fighter but he has ZERO chance against a guy like Floyd and that is why he was selected as the opponent last night.  Floyd is a talented guy, no doubt, but his greatest talent is probably hand-selecting opponents who are good enough to put on a good show (and generate $$$) without having any chance of losing to these opponents.  I just hope Manny has enough gas in the tank to beat his ass when Floyd gets out of the slammer.

Bernard Hopkins - while it is impressive that a guy who is nearly 50 years old can still stay in fights with some of the top fighters in the world and even beat some lesser fighters, I will never be a fan of his style.  He is the dirtiest fighter I have ever seen.  He uses his head like a jab, holds and hits, hits on the break and complains like a little bitch every time he loses a decision.  This guy is a classless, ghetto punk.  I hope he never fights again. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2012, 07:55 pm »
Hey don't give the ghetto a bad name by associating it with Hopkins.  :nono:

jackman

« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2012, 08:22 pm »
Hey don't give the ghetto a bad name by associating it with Hopkins.  :nono:

Who said anything bad about the ghetto?  I grew up on Chicago and Cicero Ave! :thumb:

Oh, and it was no fun growing up on Chicago and Cicero...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2012, 08:29 pm »
We may never see Mayweather vs Paciauo.  Mayweather has claimed to have offered Pacman 40M by phone and Pacman wants half the proceeds, according to Mayweather, and hung up on him.  Who the hell is promoting this fight anyway?  Is Floyd saying that if the promoter offers a even split with Manny he won't fight?  Nuts is what it is.  The guy just got 32M for Cotto.  So what if Manny can get ONLY 40M, anyway?  Who's duckin who?  I don't suppose we'll hear much more about this until Floyd gets out of jail.  What?  90 days?

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2012, 10:46 pm »
Yes. Floyd is saying exactly that: He won't fight for a 50-50 split. He thinks he is too big a star. He has a hard time reconciling this with the resentment he has towards Pacquiao because over the last four years or so, Pacquiao has been the crossover star he has never been able to become. He can't reconcile these two ideas in his head.

The solution is easy: Both guys put their money where their mouths are and take this deal: 55-60% split for the winner, 40-45% for the loser. Want the big slice? Simple- Win the fight.

I fear jimdgoulding is right though, and if it doesn't happen in '12, I may not care. Both guys have probably already peaked. While it should still make a good fight, I don't know what the sell-by date is. It can't be too far off. Fight fans are tired of the BS.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #17 on: 7 May 2012, 12:30 am »
I thought Cotto put out a really great effort.  He was smart and determined.  In the end Floyd is just that much more skillful.     I would like to see Mayweather against the real champ at 154:  Sergio Martinez.

I find it interesting that Pacquiao put Cotto down twice and won by  TKO.  Mind you they forced Cotto to weigh in at 145.  Pacquiao also knocked Mosley down and then made him go defense only, something neither Mayweather or Alvarez did...  And then he gave us that "performance" against Marquez...

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2012, 01:29 am »
Martinez would be an interesting matchup. But can he drop the weight and be effective.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #19 on: 7 May 2012, 02:24 am »
154 is not supposed to be a problem for him...