Some good boxing matches coming up . .

jackman

Re: Some good boxing matches coming up . .
« Reply #20 on: 7 May 2012, 03:14 am »
First of all, I don't believe a word that comes out of Pretty Boy's mouth. He has dodged Manny for years and has even mandated Olympic style drug testing that is unprecedented in boxing in order to fight Pacman. Manny agreed and Floyd came up with more excuses.   It's simple, he is afraid Manny will ruin his spotless record.  As long as idiots will pay Floyd millions to fight hand picked chumps, he's probably right to continue dodging Manny and cashing big checks.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2012, 04:53 pm »
Any you boys see Jim Lampley's new show on HBO, The Fight Game?  Man, it's good!  If it repeats, and you subscribe to HBO, recommend you catch it.  It would follow the Cotto/Mayweather replay.

I don't think Bradley can beat Pacman.  He does throw punches in bunches but Pacman has the reach and the legs to keep him at bay and potshot him.  Just my opinion.

BTW, HBO has programming well worth its cost.  And they just keep getting better.

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2012, 05:47 pm »

I don't think Bradley can beat Pacman.  He does throw punches in bunches but Pacman has the reach and the legs to keep him at bay and potshot him.  Just my opinion.

Agree. Bradley is Floyd Lite. Has a lot of the same talents, just not on quite the same level. That's why he was picked. Good enough to test Manny but unlikely to beat him.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2012, 08:38 pm »
I am looking forward to seeing the Lamps show.  Hope to have it on demand...

Bradley hasn't fought anyone anywhere near Pacquiao's level.  Plus he has only fought once at welterweight about three fights ago.  And he has visited the canvas... 

Still, styles make fights.  By the end of the first round we will know how the fight will play out and if Bradley is overmatched...

vortrex

« Reply #24 on: 13 May 2012, 11:16 pm »
unfortunately, if you watched the show, it was mentioned that pacman has become a total jesus freak since his last fight.  that can be a recipe for disaster.  it would be a shame if bradley/jesus beat him in this fight and the mayweather fight suffered because of it.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #25 on: 14 May 2012, 12:10 am »
I can't really understand it but I have seen more than a few very religious people beat the crap out of someone in the ring.  Notably Andre Ward goes by the nickname SOG (son of god) and Ward could probably show Hopkins a trick or two about fighting dirty.

I can't quite remember the names right now but in one fight on FNF two guys really beat the living hell out of each other and then when the fight was over they knelt down with there arms wrapped around each other and prayed. :scratch:

dB Cooper

« Reply #26 on: 16 May 2012, 02:21 am »
unfortunately, if you watched the show, it was mentioned that pacman has become a total jesus freak since his last fight.  that can be a recipe for disaster.  it would be a shame if bradley/jesus beat him in this fight and the mayweather fight suffered because of it.
A semi-related article about how even Arum has concerns about Manny vs Bradley:
http://www.secondsout.com/headlines/main-headline/arum-has-concerns-about-manny
Personally, I am glad they are concerned. It means he is "in tough" which improves the chances of a good fight. There should be no easy paydays at that level. If he loses he loses. I'd rather see a good fight as I no longer think the Manny vs Money fight will ever happen.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2012, 02:33 am »
Arun could be just promoting ticket sales.  I mean what else makes sense?

jackman

« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2012, 04:46 pm »
Arun could be just promoting ticket sales.  I mean what else makes sense?

I think you are right.  It gives the fight more drama.  Lots of religious fighers out there including Ali, Foreman (he's a preacher I believe), Hollifield, etc. 

One of my favorite lines concerning this topic.  When Frasier fought Ali the first time, Ali was saying things to him the whole fight.  At one point Ali said, "you can't beat me, I've got God on my side", to which Frasier replied, "God is about to get knocked on his ass...".    :thumb:

It's too bad professional boxing doesn't have a single governing body to regulate who fights who.  Fighters would not be able to dodge people, as so many boxers have done, and we would see the best fighting the best.  It will never happen because there is too much money to be had in the current system in which boxers' records are puffed up by defeating inferior opponents.  Manny is one of the few boxers in the game willing to fight pretty much anyone they put in front of him.  Floyd is a talented guy but he only fights hand-picked opponents.  Don't get me wrong, he is a talented fighter and his method seems to pay off because he makes more money than anyone in boxing. 

As long as people are willing to fork over cash to watch these types of fights, I suspect it will continue. 

vortrex

« Reply #29 on: 21 May 2012, 05:19 am »
anyone watch the first 24x7 this weekend?  pacman is losing his mind...

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2012, 10:49 pm »
Bute vs Froch should be a compelling fight this weekend.  I say Bute controls Froch to a decision win.  It is going to be a rowdy, aggressive crowd in Nottingham England.  Judges will be partial to Froch...

dB Cooper

« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2012, 11:24 pm »
django has it about right, I would say. Froch is tough but a little one dimensional. Bute has more tools in his kit.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2012, 11:45 pm »
I'll go further and say that if Froch is reckless in his aggression Bute will get at least a knock down and maybe the knock out with his favorite punch: leftie uppercut to the liver.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2012, 11:36 pm by django11 »

dB Cooper

« Reply #33 on: 23 May 2012, 09:28 pm »
Anybody following the prefight on HBO? A friend was telling me Manny doesn't look really in fighting shape to him.

vortrex

« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2012, 09:58 pm »
he looks in shape, but his mind is just not there.  giving formal jesus talks in the gym, really?  apparently he sold some of his businesses because of jesus too.

dB Cooper

« Reply #35 on: 24 May 2012, 12:10 am »
If his mind is not there, Bradley is good enough to beat him. No doubt Bradley will be hungry. If Manny loses we can all say bye-bye to a Mayweather fight. If he wins, but looks bad, Floyd will escalate his demands. (I personally think a 60/40 win/lose split solves all those problems; if you want the big cut, win the fight.)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #36 on: 25 May 2012, 05:50 pm »
I saw the HBO pre-fight show, too, and came away with the same conclusions.  The Packster looks awfully content with things in his life right now.  Bradley, on the other hand, is as hungry as it gets.  Here's a worst case scenario for you:  Packman loses, a re-match would be a foregone conclusion, Mayweather is out if he doesn't accept Pacman's demands.  This way, it's Pacman (Arum) in the driver's seat and get's an extra payday.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #37 on: 27 May 2012, 12:00 pm »
Well I certainly got the call on Bute Froch wrong :duh:.  As a long time fan of Bute ( I have seen all his fights and been to many of them) I am shocked and a little heartbroken by the result...  Bute is a genuine gentleman, I don't know how one comes back from such a devastating loss...

dB Cooper

« Reply #38 on: 27 May 2012, 11:50 pm »
you had a lot of company.... secondsout.com writer prefight picks went something like 12-3 for Bute who was in fact favored. From the sample clips espn had as well as reports from the fight, not only did Bute get beat, he got exposed. He had a clause in his contract for an immediate rematch in Montreal in the event he lost. Few at the moment seem to be expecting him to exercise it.

vortrex

« Reply #39 on: 28 May 2012, 01:22 am »
watched the latest 24x7 last night... pacman has officially lost his mind.  he said he hates the old manny.