Some good boxing matches coming up . .

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: Some good boxing matches coming up . .
« Reply #80 on: 10 Jun 2012, 10:06 pm »
seems like 3 different stories...  bradley made up the date, manny was set to fight nov 10th already, and arum saying it was "set aside". 

I haven't heard Bradley saying that he made up  the date, it wasn't it the post fight interview (I just re listened) so I can't comment.

HBO only has so many dates available so it is common for promoter to put a hold on dates for their fighter.  I presume Manny was to fight on November 10 win or lose.

I am not disagreeing that the decision smells very bad.  I just like to keep facts straight.

dB Cooper

« Reply #81 on: 11 Jun 2012, 12:15 am »
I will reserve judgment until I see this fight, but so far, the worst decision I ever saw was Pernell Whitaker vs Julio Cesar Chavez. Whitaker dominated Chavez every minute of every round, in every way one fighter can dominate another short of knocking him cold, and got hosed with a draw. This fight would have to go a long way to top that.

vortrex

« Reply #82 on: 11 Jun 2012, 01:54 am »
I will reserve judgment until I see this fight, but so far, the worst decision I ever saw was Pernell Whitaker vs Julio Cesar Chavez. Whitaker dominated Chavez every minute of every round, in every way one fighter can dominate another short of knocking him cold, and got hosed with a draw. This fight would have to go a long way to top that.

did you see williams vs lara a few years ago?  this was worse than that and all 3 judges from that bout were suspended by the commission.  I've never heard of that happening before.  harold lederman gave williams 3 rounds in that fight, only 1 to bradley.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #83 on: 11 Jun 2012, 11:17 pm »
Heard the latest?  Bob Arun wants a commission to investigate the decision before talks of a rematch can begin :dunno:.  It insults the intelligence more and more.  He's trying to appear like boxing fans' squeaky clean best friend while hypeing the rematch at the same time.  I suspect the contracts are inplace already.  He was the first to say I'm innocent with his post fight remarks.  Whatta guy. 

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #84 on: 11 Jun 2012, 11:41 pm »
Here is the opinion of a publication I respect:  Ring Magazine.

"POSSIBILITY III  (for the lousy decision)

Corruption: Some observers seem to be suggesting that promoter Bob Arum somehow rigged the decision, perhaps because he doesn’t want Pacquiao to fight Mayweather. I don’t believe that for a second. I might sometimes question the wisdom of Keith Kizer, Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, in terms of selecting judges but I believe he has integrity. I don’t believe corrupt judges would make it to the ring under his watch. No, I think this is a matter of incompetent judges. That said, I would welcome the investigation into the scoring that Arum is demanding. God knows something needs to be done about this never-ending judging nightmare."

vortrex

« Reply #85 on: 11 Jun 2012, 11:50 pm »
"Keith Kizer, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, says at this time there are no plans to discipline or review the Pacquiao-Bradley judges."

jimdgoulding

« Reply #86 on: 12 Jun 2012, 02:01 am »
Swept under the rug.  Seems like a ruse from the get to me.  Why wouldn't Arum want to promote the Pac- Mayweather fight.  He have to share the profits or something?

jackman

« Reply #87 on: 12 Jun 2012, 02:20 pm »
Arum is no saint, but even he knows this type of decision is bad for boxing.  Boxing is in the news more than ever because of it and it makes the sport look worse than ever...something I did not think was possible.  IMO, Manny doesn't need to fight Bradley because he soundly beat him in the opinions of everyone except the two judges.  He needs to fight Floyd before he (and floyd) gets too old and his skills decline. 

Maybe this situation will benefit boxing because it might force people to finally wake up.  It's not going to get better until people refuse to pay money to support a corrupt system. I'm not typically in favor of government intervention but pro boxing is in serious need of a savior, someone who will clean the scum out of the sport. 

Arum supported an open scoring system (judges reveal the scores after each round) and I think it's time to impliment it along with uniform scoring rules and banishment of judges who don't or can't do their job.  They are trying to say those judges in the Pac/Bradley fight were not trained properly but that's a lame and unacceptable excuse.  This was a championship fight and it should have been scored by competent judges.  There are too many bad decisions in boxing but this isn't boxing's only problem.  The best fighters should be forced to fight the best challenges.  Guys like Floyd shouldn't be allowed to fight hand-picked opponents and cash big paychecks.  They should have to fight the top contenders or not be allowed to have the fight sanctioned. 

Boxing will never be cleaned up until people stop paying money to see inferior matchups officiated by corrupt or incompetent judges.  The alphabet soup of sanctioning bodies needs to be cleaned up as well or boxing will continue to decline and eventually become more "entertainment" than sport, like WWF.  Don King was/is a cancer to the sport but he is in good company.  I love boxing and suspect it will get worse before it gets better. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #88 on: 12 Jun 2012, 03:04 pm »
"Not trained properly"?  :lol: How long does it take? One of the judges involved (Duane Ford) also judged the Holmes-Cooney fight in 1982. He was one of the two that would have had Cooney ahead when the fight was stopped if not for the point deductions against Cooney for low blows, despite Cooney having been knocked down twice.

Vortrex, didn't see Williams-Lara (heard it was an abomination) but Whitaker-Chavez remains my gold standard for bad decisions in fights I have seen.

vortrex

« Reply #89 on: 12 Jun 2012, 03:24 pm »
RingTV.com: Your thoughts on the decision?

TB: Well I've seen the tape. I won the fight, without a doubt. You could say I won the first round, give or take the second. Lost the third, lost the fourth, lost the fifth, maybe even lost the sixth, you know, give or take

But from seven, eight, nine, 10, 11 and 12, I clearly dominated those rounds, man. I dominated those rounds. I know that I won those rounds.

I mean, this guy was supposed to stop me. He was supposed to knock me out. But I took his best punches, and I fought back hard. You know what I mean?

My corner and I honestly feel that I won the fight. Fair and square. It was not controversial decision or nothing like that. It is what it is, man.

The judges got it right, that's what I feel. There were some close rounds in there that they probably gave to me, because, like I said, I fought every minute of every damn round.

They were probably like, "this dude is only fighting in the first half of the round or the last 30 seconds of a rounds." They probably caught on to that.

dB Cooper

« Reply #90 on: 12 Jun 2012, 07:16 pm »
Well, I'm glad he saw the tape. He said immediately after the fight that he would have to see the tape to know if he won. What does that statement tell you. Now he's full of himself. F**k him. Paper champ.

vortrex

« Reply #91 on: 12 Jun 2012, 07:59 pm »
the funny thing is, he tells arum right after the fight, before the decision, that he was sorry he couldn't win.  the decision is read and now he needs to see the tape to determine if he won.  now he sees the tape and he DOMINATED 6 rounds!?  he did nothing remotely close to dominating anything in that fight, even if he did win a round or 2. 

he blames manny for only fighting 30 seconds a round, but what does that say about him if manny throws nearly as many punches and lands at a much higher rate for only fighting a total of 6 min?!  it's also hilarious to see him admit that he lost round 5 (one of his worse rounds where he was hurt a bit) yet two of the judges somehow gave it to him.

he's shooting himself in the foot over this.  it's not his fault he got schooled yet won the decision, but now to come off like this?  he should have told people he lost fair and square in the post fight interview.  he still got paid, he still would get the rematch, and people would respect him.

dB Cooper

« Reply #92 on: 12 Jun 2012, 10:34 pm »
Another thing is that he twisted his ankle doing the Charleston in an attempt to avoid going down. He was on his way to the canvas.

Manny was moving him back with his punches all night but he thinks a few jabs are enough to "dominate"? I don't think you can take a man's title when you are backing up 70% of the fight.

Some are saying Manny should not exercise his rematch clause. I disagree.  Manny is normally a complete professional but... I wanna see this guy try and deal with an angry Pacquiao. I wanna see him explain how the ref gave him a short count etc etc.

paul canady

« Reply #93 on: 13 Jun 2012, 12:14 am »
Did you here? Manny did not have to watch the tapes to see if he lost. He knows he did not lose to his sparring partner.
    Manny also said the back of his hands were a little sore from all the punches he blocked.

dB Cooper

« Reply #94 on: 13 Jun 2012, 04:49 am »
Just found out Canelo and Ortiz are slated to fight in the fall if both get thru upcoming fights. That one has potential if Ortiz doesn't fall apart when the going gets tough and quit or deliberately foul his opponent, both of which he has done before.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #95 on: 13 Jun 2012, 11:39 pm »
Just found out Canelo and Ortiz are slated to fight in the fall if both get thru upcoming fights. That one has potential if Ortiz doesn't fall apart when the going gets tough and quit or deliberately foul his opponent, both of which he has done before.

I would have liked to see the Floyd fight sans sucker punch to see how it would have ended...

Canelo Ortiz sounds good if Ortiz is on par size wise.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #97 on: 14 Jun 2012, 01:40 am »
The WBO announced today that their championship committee will review video of the Pacquiao fight with five “recognized international judges” and make a recommendation.

In the interim, Bob Arum has filed a formal request with the Nevada Attorney General for an inquiry into "the circumstances surrounding the fight".

Can't say I've ever seen this before...

dB Cooper

« Reply #99 on: 14 Jun 2012, 02:28 am »
I thought it was sad, not hilarious... but he has nobody but himself to blame.