Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?????????

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Re: Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?????????
« Reply #120 on: 25 Oct 2010, 04:18 pm »
Martz' system is great IMHO, but its not simple and not a system teams can fully utilize in one year.  The QB has to make smart decisions, but the upside is tremendous.  In Detroit, I loved watching it and really felt it was an asset...unfortunately, the defense was awful and the OL has been terrible for years.  You're not going to score much with bad players in any system.  The Bears have a lot of bad players.

You said what I said except you're being optimistic.  If you're being honest, the QB's can get creamed and the downside is horrible.  The system seems to have taken away whatever confidence Cutler may have had.  He's making poor decisions while fearing of being sacked every time he drops back.  Just who's bright idea was it to bring in Martz and his system when you have a QB who already throws a ton of picks, isn't really a text book QB to begin with and you don't have any WR's as it is.  Seems a piss poor match of system and personnel, likely a move of desperation.  If Lovie wasn't fired already, Martz will see to that.  Hopefully Cutler can keep his head on straight, gather the troops and get this thing together.  How about hiking the ball to Hester 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage, give him a running start and see if he can take it to the house.  That might be a more productive offense right now.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #121 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:02 pm »
Yep, Pittsburg got a gift.  The film was dissected on ESPN this morning.  This was one of the weirdest Sunday's ever!  Skip Bayless ranted and rained on Minnesota's coach for throwing Farve under the bus in his press conference.  Wonder what Farve thought of it.  It was potentially devisive.  Bayless holds Farve in high esteem and his record especially given last year at age 40 that he got all over Childress for his comments and pointed out that if Childress had challenged that fumble (which could be seen live in TV land) at the goal line it would have been a tie game cause GB would have kicked a FG.  My wife and I saw it and couldn't beleive it wasn't challenged.  The guy sitting across from Bayless pulled Skip's covers bout his protection of Farve and actually got more vehement than Skippy.  They agreed that Farve should look after his ankle for the next week or two but while Skip would have had Farve quit (in protest of Childress), his opponent said hell no cause that would damage his legacy.  Think he's right.

The officiating has been miserable this season.  The Pittsburg call is just one example.  An exasperating day, IMO.  Whew.

launche

« Reply #122 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:53 pm »
I will say that I can see why Belicheat traded Moss, he is so one dimensional at this point and can't seem to get the separation he used too.  Still commands a double team though and maybe that's enough. I'm wouldn't be surprised if he started acting up soon.  I'm sure he isn't fond of Childress but hopefully he doesn't take shot at Farve given how much Farve adored him.

Bigfish

« Reply #123 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:03 pm »
Yep, Pittsburg got a gift.  The film was dissected on ESPN this morning.  This was one of the weirdest Sunday's ever!  Skip Bayless ranted and rained on Minnesota's coach for throwing Farve under the bus in his press conference.  Wonder what Farve thought of it.  It was potentially devisive.  Bayless holds Farve in high esteem and his record especially given last year at age 40 that he got all over Childress for his comments and pointed out that if Childress had challenged that fumble (which could be seen live in TV land) at the goal line it would have been a tie game cause GB would have kicked a FG.  My wife and I saw it and couldn't beleive it wasn't challenged.  The guy sitting across from Bayless pulled Skip's covers bout his protection of Farve and actually got more vehement than Skippy.  They agreed that Farve should look after his ankle for the next week or two but while Skip would have had Farve quit (in protest of Childress), his opponent said hell no cause that would damage his legacy.  Think he's right.

The officiating has been miserable this season.  The Pittsburg call is just one example.  An exasperating day, IMO.  Whew.

I watched the end of the game and in real time I thought Ben had scored a touchdown.  However, the replays clearly showed he lost possession, thus fumbled, before the ball reached the end zone line.  I guess the Touchdown call ended the play because the refs never established (called) possession of the ball after the fumble. 

I am a Steelers Fan and yes we won but it feels like we stole it.  After seeing the replays I told my wife that Ben just lost the game before the ref came back and gave possession back to the Steelers.  I truly feel for the Dolphins Fans.

Ken

launche

« Reply #124 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:33 pm »
Good teams like the Steelers get those breaks when you're rolling.  Take the win and hit the bus, 'dem the breaks.  Dolphins can't say they didn't have their chances it just sucks that everything did seem to lean so much in their favor.  Anything questionable around the goal line should be reviewed.  They give the receivers such a hard time with having full possession and control of the ball through the catch etc... They need to clean this up.  The refs were all there at the pile I see know reason they should have followed through with the play to see who had possession, especially since it was at best a borderline touchdown even in live action viewing.  But they should just use some type of goal line sensor that lights up when the ball crosses the plane.  Some better system that a 50 year old ref looking for the ball through a pile of bodies from 20 feet away.  If they are using all this technology for the replay system and such then incorporate some of it into the game for better on field play.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #125 on: 25 Oct 2010, 10:56 pm »
Well, tonite will tell.  The Cowboys are either going to break this year's mold or they can wrap it up.  That's not to say that the Giants couldn't possibly whip a good playing Cowboy's team, they may, but I'd like to see a good Cowboy's team first.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #126 on: 25 Oct 2010, 11:25 pm »
This morning on ESPN, my girl asked Derrick Brooks what the Cowboys had to do to win and he said run the ball, get away from depending on the pass.  Then she asked his counterpoint John with the funny hair and goatee what the Giants had to do to win and he said shut down the run and force the Cowboys to pass.  Brooks and John had two more things to say that seemed right on the money.  Who will dictate?

Bigfish

« Reply #127 on: 25 Oct 2010, 11:28 pm »
Well, tonite will tell.  The Cowboys are either going to break this year's mold or they can wrap it up.  That's not to say that the Giants couldn't possibly whip a good playing Cowboy's team, they may, but I'd like to see a good Cowboy's team first.

The Cowboys are a talented, desperate team!  The Giants are playing well and are well coached.  This should be a very good game and somehow I expect the Cowboys to pull this one out!

Ken

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #128 on: 26 Oct 2010, 12:43 am »
The Cowboys are a talented, desperate team!  The Giants are playing well and are well coached.  This should be a very good game and somehow I expect the Cowboys to pull this one out!

Ken

Hope you are wrong Ken. 

First offensive drive for Big Blue is just starting...

George

Bigfish

« Reply #129 on: 26 Oct 2010, 01:48 am »
Hope you are wrong Ken.

First offensive drive for Big Blue is just starting...

George

Darn George, I hope I didn't jinx NY as they have fumble itis!

Ken

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #130 on: 26 Oct 2010, 02:18 am »
Darn George, I hope I didn't jinx NY as they have fumble itis!

Ken

Looking better...   :thumb:

George

TomS

« Reply #131 on: 26 Oct 2010, 02:20 am »
Wow, what a rough week for QB's.  Romo gone too...

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #132 on: 26 Oct 2010, 02:22 am »
I'm a bit biased as a Raven's fan and no fan of Pittsburgh as our rivals.  I hate to say it but James Harrison is a maniac out there.  Etc.........
The DB made a great hit (not helmet to helmet like James Harrison probably would have while trying give the opposing  QB a concussion),
Good teams like the Steelers get those breaks when you're rolling.  Take the win and hit the bus, 'dem the breaks. 

I'm a Steeler fan but actually agree with your assessment of Harrison's play in the past.  And I've pretty much agreed with these three posts, so I quoted only a sliver from each.  But I think it's time to lay off of Harrison now as he made every hit completely legally in the Miami game.  He paid his "debt to society" with the fine and should be judged on his tackles from now on.  You can't blame a guy for buying into the culture when they have a parade of "hits of the week" on every NFL show.  When you're applauded by the press, the public, and your teammates for making killer hits, then all of a sudden out of the blue it's verboten after the fact, and your then portrayed as a killer, all very hypocritical if you ask me, no matter how much I agree with the new policies as they have been implemented.  At the end of the day the NFL got their point across and is enforcing the rule properly.

And yes, I think everyone in Steelerland agrees about the gift from the refs, however we don't need any new technology, replay would have worked just fine if the refs had done their job and established possession in the end zone at the time.       

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #133 on: 26 Oct 2010, 02:36 am »
Is Kitna long term or will Jerry go get a better qb somewhere?  What a half.....Cowboys get like 3-4 gifts, then lose Romo and are getting spanked statistically.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #134 on: 26 Oct 2010, 02:40 am »
Romo's out 8-10 weeks,, aka the season.  :duh:  My Cowboy's backs are definitely up against the wall now, it should be getting fairly familiar.  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #135 on: 26 Oct 2010, 02:45 am »
Even before Romo got hit, the Giants offense had become very effective.  Manning's play calling and arm were great.  The O line was spot on.  They were getting very good yardage on the ground.  Dallas wasn't losing the game, NY was WINNING the game.  I hear ya, Robin.  Think Gruden will be coaching the 'Boys next season?

TomS

« Reply #136 on: 26 Oct 2010, 02:54 am »
... Think Gruden will be coaching the 'Boys next season?
I sure hope so.  Then we won't have to listen to him on MNF  :shake:

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #137 on: 26 Oct 2010, 11:16 am »
Romo's out 8-10 weeks,, aka the season.  :duh:  My Cowboy's backs are definitely up against the wall now, it should be getting fairly familiar.  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

Back against the wall???   :scratch: 

With Romo, the Cowboys were done after getting crushed tonight by the Giants.  Without Romo, it is beyond over.

George

jimdgoulding

« Reply #138 on: 26 Oct 2010, 11:26 am »
Yep, that's the truth.  The Giants, on other hand, are lookin veddy good.  Real impressed, I was.

twitch54

« Reply #139 on: 26 Oct 2010, 01:30 pm »
The Giants, on other hand, are lookin veddy good.  Real impressed, I was.

I'm never impressed with a team that gives up 35 points.