Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?????????

jimdgoulding

Re: Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?????????
« Reply #160 on: 8 Nov 2010, 09:31 pm »
I don't know what happened but McNabb has really looked bad this year.  Although he won against the Bears, he made some REALLY bad mistakes and ill-advised throws.  For a vet, he looked like a rookie.  This is a strange year.  The Jets looked pretty good at times and very bad against the Pack today.  The Vikings have been playing poorly.  Even the Colts and Pats have lost some games they would have won in the past. 

Maybe this is what the league wanted when they pushed for parity.  If Troy P comes back strong, the Steelers are the team to beat, IMO.  The Giants are also starting to step up but I'm hesitant to say they are a real contender because they have also looked very bad and it's still early in the season.

If this is how it's going to be, I hope there are several teams in contention at the close of the season.  Either way, I don't think one of those teams will be wearing blue and orange.  That's one of the only things I'm fairly certain about.   :roll:
This is a strange year is RIGHT!  But that's good, IMO, cept for the Cowboys.  My wife can't stand Jerry Jones.  She hasn't gotten over the way he dismissed Tom Landry yet.  The fun for me is all the teams that were in the basement last year and are challenging :D

jackman

« Reply #161 on: 8 Nov 2010, 09:52 pm »
This is a strange year is RIGHT!  But that's good, IMO, cept for the Cowboys.  My wife can't stand Jerry Jones.  She hasn't gotten over the way he dismissed Tom Landry yet.  The fun for me is all the teams that were in the basement last year and are challenging :D.

Yep, there are things I like about this year.  Yesterday should have shocked me (Cleveland dominating the Pats, Colts losing to Philly, the Vikings and Jets having to go to OT to beat teams that are in the basement, etc.) but nothing shocks me anymore in the NFL.  I didn't mention the Bears because they looked pathetic against one of the worst teams in the league.  THat QB on the Bills looks very good.  He'd look good in blue and orange...just sayin.

I'm not sold on the Giants, yet.  They have looked very good and very bad this year.  Same goes for the Pats and the Packers.  Both teams have been dominant and have been beaten by bad teams.  Heck, even the Raiders have put some big wins together.  This is a strange year. 

I'm not afraid to make predictions (and be wrong!) but it's hard to make one this year.  At least one you can feel confident in for longer than two weeks.  I love the drama bethind the scenes (or in front of the scenes) going on in Minnesotta!  As a Viking(queen) hater, I'm in heaven.  I can't wait for this team to lose a couple more games so the drama can be amped up another couple notches.  Priceless! 

Also, I feel sorry for Detroit.  They had that game won yesterday and gave it away.  I am a big fan of Stafford and hope he's not hurt seriously.  It looks bad and he has quickly developed a reputation as a fragile QB.  Probably well-deserved but I feel for this kid because he's a true talent.  Too bad he was drafted by a bad team.  If he had a better O-line, he would be a star.  Sadly, I feel better about the Lion's foundation than the Bears'.  The Lions have a decent looking young team that should do some damage next year. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #162 on: 8 Nov 2010, 10:08 pm »
This is a strange year is RIGHT!  But that's good, IMO, cept for the Cowboys.  My wife can't stand Jerry Jones.  She hasn't gotten over the way he dismissed Tom Landry yet.  The fun for me is all the teams that were in the basement last year and are challenging :D .

You tell your wife I said she's dead-on right!  :thumb:  Jerry Jones needs to fire himself. He showed himself to be a classless act in the way he handled the dimissal of Tom Landry. But I stand by my Cowboys despite him and hopeully another Jimmy Johnson will come along and get the job done despite of the constant Jerry Jones sideline interference.  :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #163 on: 8 Nov 2010, 11:43 pm »
At least he put Phillips out of his misery! :lol:  Poor bastard- by all accounts  he's a swell guy but he always seemed like a substitute teacher to me.  And finally the team seemed to quit on him.  Maybe the Vikes could trade Chilly + a six pack of beer for your castoff coach? :wink:

Bigfish

« Reply #164 on: 9 Nov 2010, 12:20 am »
I just heard a prediction on the Sirius NFL Channel from Pat Kirwan that he expects 7 to 8 coaches to be fired by the end of the season.  Pat said he would not be surprised if another or owner or two makes moves soon now that Jerry Jones has pulled the trigger.

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #165 on: 9 Nov 2010, 12:39 am »
Steelers & Saints shaping up to be a great game already.  Defense, defense, defense...

Speaking of defense, another very solid outing from the Giants.   :thumb:

While we all know that Seattle isn't exactly part of the NFL elite, it was still very gratifying to see the Giants absolutely dominate an inferior opponent vs. letting them stay in the game.

Speaking of inferior opponent...bring on the Cowboys!

George

Kinger

« Reply #166 on: 9 Nov 2010, 12:42 am »
As a Cleveland Browns fan (grew up in Cleveland and am only 2 hours away), I was THRILLED to see the way the game played out yesterday.  Hillis is an absolute animal and even though I wasn't a big fan of Colt McCoy while watching him in preseason, he's been absolutely fantastic on the field during the regular season.  I know they are not going to win the Super Bowl, but just to see them being competitive is awesome to see.

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #167 on: 9 Nov 2010, 12:47 am »
Yep, there are things I like about this year.  Yesterday should have shocked me (Cleveland dominating the Pats, Colts losing to Philly, the Vikings and Jets having to go to OT to beat teams that are in the basement, etc.) but nothing shocks me anymore in the NFL.  I didn't mention the Bears because they looked pathetic against one of the worst teams in the league.  THat QB on the Bills looks very good.  He'd look good in blue and orange...just sayin.

I'm not sold on the Giants, yet.  They have looked very good and very bad this year.  Same goes for the Pats and the Packers.  Both teams have been dominant and have been beaten by bad teams.  Heck, even the Raiders have put some big wins together.  This is a strange year. 

I'm not afraid to make predictions (and be wrong!) but it's hard to make one this year.  At least one you can feel confident in for longer than two weeks.  I love the drama bethind the scenes (or in front of the scenes) going on in Minnesotta!  As a Viking(queen) hater, I'm in heaven.  I can't wait for this team to lose a couple more games so the drama can be amped up another couple notches.  Priceless! 

Also, I feel sorry for Detroit.  They had that game won yesterday and gave it away.  I am a big fan of Stafford and hope he's not hurt seriously.  It looks bad and he has quickly developed a reputation as a fragile QB.  Probably well-deserved but I feel for this kid because he's a true talent.  Too bad he was drafted by a bad team.  If he had a better O-line, he would be a star.  Sadly, I feel better about the Lion's foundation than the Bears'.  The Lions have a decent looking young team that should do some damage next year.

I hear ya on the Giants...a couple of stinkers early on, but the last 5 games have been pretty good (that comment is based on watching the games, not just looking at the final scores).  They are extremely well balanced and talented on offense.  They can run and pass and have a legitimate 5 players who can carry for a drive or game.  They can score quickly or eat up 10+ minutes on an extended drive.  On the defensive side of the ball their front four is dominating and that makes the linebackers and secondary that much better.

Their Achilles Heel this season has been the turnover.  If they don't beat themselves, they will be in most games and more often than not, win them. 

George

Bigfish

« Reply #168 on: 9 Nov 2010, 01:21 am »
As a Cleveland Browns fan (grew up in Cleveland and am only 2 hours away), I was THRILLED to see the way the game played out yesterday.  Hillis is an absolute animal and even though I wasn't a big fan of Colt McCoy while watching him in preseason, he's been absolutely fantastic on the field during the regular season.  I know they are not going to win the Super Bowl, but just to see them being competitive is awesome to see.

You should be very happy with the Browns.  Your team looked great against the Steelers, Beat New Orleans and Beat New England over the last three weeks.  The Jets cannot be looking forward to playing your team on Sunday.  McCoy looks like the real deal and I bet a few teams like Carolina wish they had drafted him.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #169 on: 9 Nov 2010, 02:39 am »
Colt is the real deal.  Years ago, he was part of our Jr. Audiophile project back in high school physics.  He built an MTM with dual 7" Vifa's and an Audax tweeter that worked out pretty well.  He may not be quite big enough to a "classic" NFL quarterback, but he has a great work ethic, is a very smart kid, and will not let success go to his head.  You Browns fans have a very solid winner that makes good decisions on the field.  I'm proud to claim that he came through my classroom. 

Bigfish

« Reply #170 on: 9 Nov 2010, 02:46 am »
I listened to an interview of Mike Holmgren and he spoke about a recent meeting with Colt in his office.  Apparently Mike has pictures of Joe Montana, Steve Young and Brett Favre on his office wall.  Colt told Mike that his picture would be on his wall one day.  Mike claimed that he told Colt he hoped that would be the case.

Bigfish

« Reply #171 on: 9 Nov 2010, 03:00 am »
Special teams play in the NFL this year is awful!  It seems to me that every team has had special team issues. 

cujobob

« Reply #172 on: 9 Nov 2010, 03:41 am »
Stafford is fragile and his injuries are a combination of flukes and really..just being squishy.  He can't take hits from anyone...and hits happen in the NFL.  The Detroit OL can't block the run too well but honestly isn't awful vs. the pass.  The Lions lost because of an injured kicker...that's just sad.    Stefan Logan is a crazy good return man, finally some excitement there for us Lions fans.

The Jets' defense looked pretty good, though certainly not as good as the head coach would have you believe.  They stuff the run well and their corners are all over their coverage.  I don't know what to make of their offense.  While a good team, I think they found themselves outplayed by a Lions team that lacks some depth most of the game.  A lot of teams have had this happen, even though the W/L doesn't always show it.  I don't know how you can struggle vs. a team with clear holes and expect to do much in the playoffs with better competition.

Is that true about Colt knowing anything about audio?

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #173 on: 9 Nov 2010, 03:52 am »
The Cinnicinati reality show receivers aren't showing much tonite (or any night so far this season). Maybe TO/Ocho better stick to a VH1/Versus career & leave the football to the more serious players. I'm getting really tired of seeing their faces on the sidelines after each 0'fer series of downs.  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #174 on: 9 Nov 2010, 03:52 am »

Is that true about Colt knowing anything about audio?
Absolutely, Colt was in my physics class at Jim Ned High School in Tuscola, TX around '93-94.  Danny Richie can verify that he was part of our speaker building contest. I'm pretty sure that I remember his project correctly and that he did a good job with it.  I'm betting that he doesn't need to build DIY speakers anymore to get a good sounding system. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #175 on: 9 Nov 2010, 04:03 am »
Colt is the real deal.  Years ago, he was part of our Jr. Audiophile project back in high school physics.  He built an MTM with dual 7" Vifa's and an Audax tweeter that worked out pretty well.  He may not be quite big enough to a "classic" NFL quarterback, but he has a great work ethic, is a very smart kid, and will not let success go to his head.  You Browns fans have a very solid winner that makes good decisions on the field.  I'm proud to claim that he came through my classroom.
Yer trippin me out, dude!

Bigfish

« Reply #176 on: 9 Nov 2010, 04:08 am »
The Cinnicinati reality show receivers aren't showing much tonite (or any night so far this season). Maybe TO/Ocho better stick to a VH1/Versus career & leave the football to the more serious players. I'm getting really tired of seeing their faces on the sidelines after each 0'fer series of downs.  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin:

I just want this game to end soon! :lol:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #177 on: 9 Nov 2010, 04:13 am »
I'm getting really tired of seeing their faces on the sidelines after each 0'fer series of downs.  :roll:
Cheers,
Robin

I'm not. I think it's freaking priceless. :lol:  :thumb:

How about Mr. Moss, also?  It couldn't possibly be more fitting that Brett has a career-game of 446 yards without Randy involved. Randy should pay a little more attention to the fact that there is another Moss in the League that he should try much harder to emulate.

All three of them crack me up.  :lol:

As for Dallas, hopefully Jerry Jones hires Gruden so we can get his ass off of Monday Night Football.  :thumb:

Go Saints,
Jerry

(**EDIT - Dammit... Jason Garrett is going to coach the 'Girls...  :banghead: )

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #178 on: 9 Nov 2010, 04:14 am »
Robin:

I just want this game to end soon! :lol:

TO musta heard me badmouthin' him as he just scored a TD,, finally. 2 more and we might finally have a game here.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #179 on: 9 Nov 2010, 05:19 am »
At least he put Phillips out of his misery! :lol:  Poor bastard- by all accounts  he's a swell guy but he always seemed like a substitute teacher to me.  And finally the team seemed to quit on him.  Maybe the Vikes could trade Chilly + a six pack of beer for your castoff coach? :wink:
Love your substitute teacher analogy.  Hope the Vikes do it again next game.