American Idol 2007.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: American Idol 2007.
« Reply #80 on: 5 Apr 2007, 02:56 am »
What was that other guys name a couple years ago, the SheBANG guy who was the same thing.

That was William Hung but he never made it past auditions. Somebody saw him and saw instant dollar signs riding the wave as long as it last.

I agree with everything you said John. If is wasn't for the contrast of Simon, not even I would watch this show. It is nowhere near as good as it has been in the past years. There doesn't seem to be any integrity this year. Like you said, most people are watching it only to see if Sanjaya is being booted. I think once he is booted, the ratings will go down dramatically.

I think Paula has lost a few marbles over the years. Either that or she is drunk on the show. She seems to fumble her words a lot this year.

I don't care whether you can sing or not. Visually, you are something else! Flaunt it!

At least we still have those legs to look at each week.

Singapura

« Reply #81 on: 5 Apr 2007, 03:10 am »
Since I saw one episode of the first show in The netherlands I swore never to see it again. By mistake I tuned to the auditions and man, it's like eating chips, you know they taste horrible but you keep eating.  :icon_surprised: The collection of outcasts and loosers that were actually surprised when Simon told them to please, never sing again was amazing! Having said that, there is some major talent remaining in the show even after the undeserved axing of Sundance Head. My prediction is that Melinda Doolittle will win, not just for her amazing voice but for her amicable personality. Anyway, the outcome is rigged like always so anything can happen.

PhilNYC

« Reply #82 on: 5 Apr 2007, 01:34 pm »
even after the undeserved axing of Sundance Head.

Sundance had a fantastic first audition (Simon said "I'll be shocked if you aren't in the finals"), but after that, he was IMHO pretty bad...undeserving of making it past the "Hollywood week" round of auditions.  And I'll say that what they did to his hair once he was in the top 24 was cruel... :o :lol:

Anyway, the outcome is rigged like always so anything can happen.

I don't think it's rigged...and in fact, I think the producers of the show are hoping that Sanjaya gets voted off every week.  Over the last few years, American Idol has been gaining an incredible amount of credibility in the music industry, highlighted most recently by Carrie Underwood's Grammy Award and Jennifer Hudson's Oscar....and the further Sanjaya makes it, the more that credibility crumbles.

honesthoff

« Reply #83 on: 5 Apr 2007, 04:25 pm »
I for one am very happy Gina was voted off.  I thought the whole "Rocker Chick" was a contrivance and affectation.  Unfortunately for her she was not able to sell it as well or as convincingly as Sanjaya.  Looking at the history of this show, these "acts" ultimately never win.

kbuzz3

John Casler got it right
« Reply #84 on: 5 Apr 2007, 04:55 pm »
I think what john C wrote is 100 percent accurate. Ive been telling my wife for years that as a proud owner of 1000s of CDs and live shows, I watch it for the only for the drama, fake hugs, and cheese factor.  It has nothing to do with music save for the masses in the red states who buy the stuff after the show ends. Carrie Underwwod anyone? 

PS- I have devised a new mod to my cd player that will make the drawer automatically reject a cd played by a reality show contestant on idol.  took me years ........

PhilNYC

Re: John Casler got it right
« Reply #85 on: 5 Apr 2007, 05:58 pm »
It has nothing to do with music save for the masses in the red states who buy the stuff after the show ends.

On the contrary, I've been totally knocked out each and every week by Melinda Doolittle, and thoroughly enjoy the performances by Jordin Sparks and Lakisha Jones.  And I enjoyed Chris Sligh's performances every week except the one that ultimately got him knocked off the show.

I think each season there are a couple of worthy performers on the show...Bo Bice, Fantasia, Chris Daughtry...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #86 on: 5 Apr 2007, 06:15 pm »
I don't know about Chris Daughtry...  I keep hearing this one song by him on the radio "It's Not Over" or something to that effect and I find it really annoying.

Having a good voice and the ability to sing well is one thing, but there's no substitute for good song writing with catchy hooks, rhythms etc...

PhilNYC

« Reply #87 on: 5 Apr 2007, 06:18 pm »
Yeah, I'm not too crazy about Daughtry's CD, but I enjoyed his performances on AI...

kbuzz3

Re: John Casler got it right
« Reply #88 on: 5 Apr 2007, 06:23 pm »
It has nothing to do with music save for the masses in the red states who buy the stuff after the show ends.

On the contrary, I've been totally knocked out each and every week by Melinda Doolittle, and thoroughly enjoy the performances by Jordin Sparks and Lakisha Jones.  And I enjoyed Chris Sligh's performances every week except the one that ultimately got him knocked off the show.

I think each season there are a couple of worthy performers on the show...Bo Bice, Fantasia, Chris Daughtry...

Phil...all opinions are respected...i should have made that line "for me" its not about music..i agree that jordin should win and has a good tone of voice with great poersonality...but again for me, the music is secondary and in my opinion crap.

chrisby

« Reply #89 on: 5 Apr 2007, 06:55 pm »
I could be off base, but does Jordin remind anyone of a really young  Barbra Streisand?

Not quite the vocal chops (yet?) of either of Lakisha or Melinda - but a presence that's undeniable.

Unless she self destructs, I'd wager she'll never have to worry about doing the cruise ship circuit.

Beezer

« Reply #90 on: 5 Apr 2007, 08:50 pm »
Jordin seems to be the one with most long-term appeal, although Melinda (definitely) and Lakisha (probably) are better singers.  When Lakisha gets it right she has some raw emotion none of them can touch.  I thought Sligh was pretty lame as a performer.  His real appeal for me was the early comedy, but he lost that and was exposed as a so-so soft rock type.

I can't believe I'm posting analysis of AI - talk about guilty pleasures!!

B

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #91 on: 5 Apr 2007, 09:41 pm »
At this point, I hope Jordin wins it.

Sanjaya should drop out. Simply out of respect for the other singers.
The show is becoming a mockery. My wife tells me there are websites devoted to "Sanjaya suppot", just for the sole reason of sabotaging the show, just 'cause it's fun I guess.  :roll:

Bob

Bigfish

« Reply #92 on: 5 Apr 2007, 10:14 pm »
I suscribe to the theory that Sanjaya is being kept on the show because the contraversy is actually good for the ratings.  At the point he becomes a liability for the show he will suddenly be voted off.  We as the audience are not told the actual vote count for each contestant.  We are sometimes told one person obtained the highest vote total and of course one person leaves for obtaining the lowest vote total.  If the constestants are actually shown the vote counts they could easily be rigged also.  I know most of want to believe the show is based on honest audience votes but I think it is standard old TV Entertainment, ie. Ratings! Ratings! Ratings!

Ken

The_KiD

« Reply #93 on: 5 Apr 2007, 10:18 pm »
VOTE FOR SANGINA!

KiD

Wind Chaser

« Reply #94 on: 6 Apr 2007, 02:35 am »

dado5

« Reply #95 on: 6 Apr 2007, 03:16 am »
I could be off base, but does Jordin remind anyone of a really young  Barbra Streisand?

Not quite the vocal chops (yet?) of either of Lakisha or Melinda - but a presence that's undeniable.

Unless she self destructs, I'd wager she'll never have to worry about doing the cruise ship circuit.

I agree.  Very good voice and very pretty. 

Of course 19 will dull all that shine with a banal, over produced pop album, as they've done with everyone else. But Kelly Clarkson grew past that so maybe she (and the other good ones from previous seasons) will to.

mcrespo71

« Reply #96 on: 6 Apr 2007, 03:55 am »
VOTE FOR SANGINA!

KiD

I'll vote for Sangina!!!!

rabpaul

« Reply #97 on: 6 Apr 2007, 04:55 am »
Was very upset that Haley was in the bottom 3 and Sanjaya was not. (Beauty and the Beast)
What's happening?

The_KiD

« Reply #98 on: 6 Apr 2007, 01:25 pm »
Was very upset that Haley was in the bottom 3 and Sanjaya was not. (Beauty and the Beast)
What's happening?

There are other powers at work here. www.votefortheworst.com and Howard Stern have convinced people to vote for the worst which is obviously Sangina. It has become a challenge to vote him into the final rounds of AI and it is clearly working.

How about that Haley though, those legs are absolutely amazing...

Cheers,

KiD

PhilNYC

« Reply #99 on: 6 Apr 2007, 01:31 pm »

There are other powers at work here. www.votefortheworst.com and Howard Stern have convinced people to vote for the worst which is obviously Sangina. It has become a challenge to vote him into the final rounds of AI and it is clearly working.

Once this thing gets to the last 5 contestants, I think these kinds of vote-for-the-worst efforts will lose their effectiveness.  Of the approximately 33million votes on American Idol, how many of those can actually be people just voting for the worst?