American Idol 2007.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Re: American Idol 2007.
« Reply #20 on: 21 Feb 2007, 11:05 pm »
Hm, It's a bit baffling, that's for sure.

Imperial

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #21 on: 3 Mar 2007, 01:02 pm »
I just watched Idol, ummm what.
How in the world does the AJ guy get kicked off and that Sanji?? guy stay.  Voters can't be that deaf can they?  I mean Sanji was horrible and even he was stunned he stayed.  I love all the tears though, by both the guys and the girls.

I know this probably happens every season, serves as a wake up call but this was a really bad call.

What did you guys think of Pickler?
They made her look ike she was 40 yrs old.
She sounded fine and control, a nice little country song.
She performed like a dead fish though but looked great minus the Loretta Lynn makeup job.
She was my pick to be the biggest star of them all (so far I was wrong.)  I thought  she could maybe be the Jessica Simpson of country and even get a role on TV and some commercial spots etc... using that pretty dumb blonde approach but maybe Jessica has run that into the ground at the moment.

PhilNYC

« Reply #22 on: 3 Mar 2007, 01:45 pm »
I read about a website somewhere where they encourage people to vote for the worst performer of the week.  This past week, they were promoting Sanjaya...so I guess it worked...

Pickler...yeah, I can't believe how bad she looked... :scratch:

PhilNYC

« Reply #23 on: 8 Mar 2007, 03:32 pm »
I don't know about you guys, but IMHO if Melinda Doolittle doesn't get a major recording contract out of this show, something is seriously wrong.  Her last two performances have been simply out of this world.  After Lakisha sang last night, I was thinking "ooo, that's going to be hard to beat"...but Doolittle knocked the cover off the ball.  I TIVO'd it and watched her sing 4-5 times.  Awesome....

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 8 Mar 2007, 03:35 pm »
I don't know about you guys, but IMHO if Melinda Doolittle doesn't get a major recording contract out of this show, something is seriously wrong.  Her last two performances have been simply out of this world.  After Lakisha sang last night, I was thinking "ooo, that's going to be hard to beat"...but Doolittle knocked the cover off the ball.  I TIVO'd it and watched her sing 4-5 times.  Awesome....

That girl can SING  :thumb:

For being so petite she can really belt out a song.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #25 on: 8 Mar 2007, 03:36 pm »
I don't know about you guys, but IMHO if Melinda Doolittle doesn't get a major recording contract out of this show, something is seriously wrong.  Her last two performances have been simply out of this world

I think regardless of what happens on Idol, we will be hearing a lot more from Doolittle and Lakisha (spelling?). They are both excellent performers. I would be surprised if there is not something already in the works with recording studios and contracts with these two.

For being so petite.............

Are you thinking of the same girl? Not that she's a big girl but I would classifiy her as petite. Excellent singer regardless.

PhilNYC

« Reply #26 on: 8 Mar 2007, 03:38 pm »
Here's last night's performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y83fuj_ewYY

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #27 on: 8 Mar 2007, 04:11 pm »
I've started watching this thing with my wife now and it's entertaining, IMO, the guys aren't even in the running.
Yes, Doolittle seems to be the one to beat.
This thing is already over...but it is American Idol.
Hell...that hula hoopin' guy could win it all.

PhilNYC

« Reply #28 on: 8 Mar 2007, 04:22 pm »
I think the only contestants that have a shot at winning over Doolittle or Lakisha are the ones who have a style that isn't R&B.  None of the others can out-sing Doolittle or Lakisha in that style.  Maybe Sabrina because she's good-looking, or Jordin Sparks because she's amazing for a 17 year old...or maybe one of the non-R&B singers like Chris Sligh or the beat-box guy.  But Doolittle and Lakisha are by far the best singers...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #29 on: 8 Mar 2007, 04:47 pm »
or the beat-box guy

I like this guy as he brings something unique to the table. He is one hell of a "beat-boxer" and does a good job of incorporating this into his performances. Of all the guys, I would have to say he is my favorite with the next in line being the dude with the big curly hair (forgot his name). He brings along a good attitude with a likable personality. Maybe these guys don't have enough to win but we have to give credit where credit is due.

Imperial

« Reply #30 on: 8 Mar 2007, 06:05 pm »
Here's last night's performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y83fuj_ewYY

Oh smokin cookie!!! That's Aretha right there man!!! Oh my word!!!!  :o

Man!
--------
" you little tiger... I thought we had a pussycat.." Right on Simon!!!

That has gotta be the comment of the season so far!!!  :thumb:
--------
Imperial

PhilNYC

« Reply #31 on: 8 Mar 2007, 06:25 pm »
with the next in line being the dude with the big curly hair (forgot his name). He brings along a good attitude with a likable personality.

That's Chris Sligh...and I agree, I like his style...

chrisby

« Reply #32 on: 8 Mar 2007, 07:12 pm »
or the beat-box guy

I like this guy as he brings something unique to the table. He is one hell of a "beat-boxer" and does a good job of incorporating this into his performances. Of all the guys, I would have to say he is my favorite with the next in line being the dude with the big curly hair (forgot his name). He brings along a good attitude with a likable personality. Maybe these guys don't have enough to win but we have to give credit where credit is due.

absolutely!

While several of the girls this year are from "pickler cute"* to drop dead gorgeous, and would make perfectly forgettable background vocalists,  there's only a short list of "singers":   

Melinda / Lakisha  (too close to call yet?)  then the also rans : Blake "beat box kid" / Chris Sligh

*did any male member of the audience even notice the shoes, or how boring she sang?  She certain gets the award for the Nashville plastic hair and cleavage (brought to by the makers of duct tape)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #33 on: 8 Mar 2007, 08:08 pm »
I think regardless of what happens on Idol, we will be hearing a lot more from Doolittle and Lakisha (spelling?). They are both excellent performers. I would be surprised if there is not something already in the works with recording studios and contracts with these two.

I totally agree.  Whether either of them ultimately win is irrelevant.  They've had all the exposure anyone with real talent needs to be discovered.  Personally, I'd be happy if either of them goes on to win however I do think Lakisha's voice is more compelling than Melinda's.

honesthoff

« Reply #34 on: 8 Mar 2007, 09:13 pm »
According to dialidol only Melinda and Lakesha are safe.  I think we get Carrie Underwood tonight, too. :rock: :drool:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #35 on: 8 Mar 2007, 10:32 pm »
Did I hear correct on the news today that Antonella got some type of "Adult Film offer or contract?

SugarDVD, the largest renter of adult DVDs online has offered an fantastic offer to Antonella Barba, amounting $500,000 to become their new spokesperson. Previously, the same company offered $1 million to Kim Kardashian but she declined to accept the offer.

Oh wait, there is something coming up on the new now about if they will allow here to remain on Idol due to the photos on the internet.

jackman

« Reply #36 on: 8 Mar 2007, 10:40 pm »
According to dialidol only Melinda and Lakesha are safe.  I think we get Carrie Underwood tonight, too. :rock: :drool:

I totally agree with this one.  Doolittle and Lakesha are the only two singers in this competition with real talent.  Can anyone really listen to that slack-jawed hillbilly Sundance Head or the that teenage dude with the curly hair that was straightened yesterday who could easily pass for a girl?  This year's crop of performers is the worst I have seen (aside from the two girls I mentioned earlier).  

For those who don't watch, you should check out the men because there are some really funny singers.  I don't remember all the names but here is an overview for those of you just coming to the party:

* Sundance Head - a guy with a strange name and even stranger facial hair.  Big, fat, southern-fried loser who can yell out a song with the subtlety of my 2 year old in a china shop.
* Creapy big eyed bald guy who wears hats.  Don't know his name but he's really creapy and equally untalented.  Watch his singing for laughs.
* Young Indian kid with long girlish hair.  Why is this kid still in the competition?  He's likeable and seems like a nice kid but this is a singing competition.  Next....
* Antonella something.  She is the Jersey Girl who has some provocative pictures on the net.  She proved yesterday why she is still around...and it ain't her singing.  Easy on the eyes but very hard on the ears.  That votefortheworst.com site must be for real...
* Beat-box guy - not my favorite but it's a weak field for the guys.  I am not a beat box fan (didn't beat boxing go out of style with Z Cavarichi pants?).
* Justin Timberlake wannabee-guy.  This guy can't really sing (hey, kind've like the real Justin T!) but he's likeable enough.  Unfortunately, this is a SINGING competition and he is a bad singer.  
*  Irritating beauty contest chick with the brown hair - I don't know her name but she enunciates every word when she sings.  Really bugs me.
* Girl from Naperville with pierced tongue, tats and bad red streak of color in her hair.  If this was a yelling or screeching competition, she would be my choice.  Unfortunately, I don't think she is a good singer (my wife disagrees).  

There are more but that's all I can remember for the moment...

J

Imperial

« Reply #37 on: 8 Mar 2007, 10:55 pm »
Sundance seem to be slightly high in pitch! Some 1/8 to 1/16 over pure key!
And he is ever so slightly off in the timing of the notes.
He's got the voice, but still needs some work in the delivery!

Other than that he is also somewhat flat in the singing, that is he does not let go of the fear.
I think he is fighting with nervousness!

Imperial

PhilNYC

« Reply #38 on: 9 Mar 2007, 12:31 am »

I totally agree.  Whether either of them ultimately win is irrelevant.  They've had all the exposure anyone with real talent needs to be discovered.  Personally, I'd be happy if either of them goes on to win however I do think Lakisha's voice is more compelling than Melinda's.

However, I think there is something in the contracts they sign to be on the show that if they make it past the round of 12, they are bound to some commitments to AI...that's why one of the singers quit at this stage a couple of years ago.  Of course, no one has heard from that guy since... :duh:

PhilNYC

« Reply #39 on: 9 Mar 2007, 12:38 am »
I totally agree with this one.  Doolittle and Lakesha are the only two singers in this competition with real talent.  

I think that's a little over the top.  I'd also give props to:

-Jordin Sparks, who at 17 years of age is singing WAY beyond her years
-Stephanie...a good singer, albeit overshadowed by the great Doolittle and Lakisha, who sing the same style
-Chris Sligh...also a good singer who has an advantage of singing a style of music that I actually like very much
-Blake (beat-box guy)...for also having a unique style and being pretty good at it (although it's not necessarily a style that shows off great singing talent).

Talent-wise, I think everyone else falls short of these...