2011 NFL is Here!

rodge827

Re: 2011 NFL is Here!
« Reply #180 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:35 pm »
Yeah, Tim Tebow also has a Heisman in his living room, and a Championship ring to go with it.

I so hope these guys prove the media wrong.  :P

Me too!

I'm getting a little sick and tired of all the Tebow bashing :x.

He IS winning games 8)......Hmmm isn't that his job? :scratch:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #181 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:46 am »
Don't know about you, but I'm getting a bit tired of all the Tebow WORSHIP, now.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #182 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:22 am »
The difference in Denver is on the defense. Orton would score 30 points and the defense would give up 40. Now the defense gives up 14 and Tebow gets 17.

Vonn Miller makes a bigger difference than Tebow.

twitch54

« Reply #183 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:22 am »

maybe he could coach the Eagles ???

rodge827

« Reply #184 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:10 am »

maybe he could coach the Eagles ???

Good idea :thumb:

Chris

jimdgoulding

« Reply #185 on: 19 Nov 2011, 05:32 am »
The difference in Denver is on the defense. Orton would score 30 points and the defense would give up 40. Now the defense gives up 14 and Tebow gets 17.

Vonn Miller makes a bigger difference than Tebow.
Nice take, Macro.  Skip Bayless on ESPN's First Take is a Tebow cheerleader.  Everybody else is waiting for his luck to run out.  I'm with Skip.  Love to see Denver be somebody.  He's inspiring his teamates.  Amazing that they beat the Jets.  Freakin nobody had that.  Geez, imagine what the buzz is in New York right now.  Onward and upward, Denver.

cujobob

« Reply #186 on: 19 Nov 2011, 06:29 am »
Me too!

I'm getting a little sick and tired of all the Tebow bashing :x.

His job is to run the offense successfully. Offense, defense, special teams...he shouldn't get all of the credit because the offense isn't exactly lighting anything up.

rodge827

« Reply #187 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:11 pm »
His job is to run the offense successfully. Offense, defense, special teams...he shouldn't get all of the credit because the offense isn't exactly lighting anything up.

I agree, football is a team sport, and each part of the team contibutes to a victory. But at the end of the day, the QB is usually considered the team leader, and is subsequently  either praised or vilified by the press and fans.

Tebow is at the beginning of what may be a very prosperous career. Canton is full of players who started off slow only to finish strong. So lets give the guy a chance. :thumb:

A lot points or a few points, a win is a win. :D

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #188 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:33 pm »
They say defense wins championships. We are trained to look to the QB and to place the blame  or praise on him, but look at guys like Ray Lewis and Polamalu or Patrick Willis or Clay Mathews. They make the QB job a lot easier by keeping the other teams scoring at a minimum.
In 2009 Elvis led the league in sacks and the Bronkeys had a pretty good season. He missed all of last year and the difference showed up in points allowed. Pressure on the passer and run stoppage are most important. If you've got that in place, you will force mistakes enough to win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer as QB.
So Tebow isn't really that much of an issue. Against the Steelers, Ravens, Bears, 49ers, etc. Tebow will be ineffective. The Lions made him look silly. KC, Raiders, and Jets are all in free fall and Miami is iffy as hell. That's all Tebow has beaten so far.

I'm a long time Bronco fan and I always have high hopes. I went to the Super Bowl on the team plane and stayed in their hotel and went to the sad post game party in 1978 when the Orange Crush fell to Dallas. "Craig Morton finally wins a Super Bowl for Dallas" the papers declared. I've been with them all the way. I'm just not too convinced that this Tebow phenomenon has any legs. Next week in San Diego should be telling.

jackman

« Reply #189 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:16 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm really enjoying Tebow's success. Pretty much every football "expert" called this guy a bust before he ever took a snap. Some of our sports radio guys in town said Denver playing Tebow was an insult to all of the other teams and fans of pro football. When he lost the first game, the criticism was BRUTAL. Tebow was given 100%of the blame. I even heard a so called expert speculate Denver was intentionally putting him out ther knowing they would lose to shut up their fans who were calling for him to play. 

It's a sad fact that quarterbacks usually  get too much credit when teams win and too much blame when they lose. I watched that game on Thursday and on that critical 95 yard final drive TEBOW strapped that team on his  back and ran over the Jets. He shut Rex Ryan's big mouth and the mouths of all of he doubters who said he was not an nfl quarterback...at least until next week.

Denver didn't have a good offensive game but Tebow has not turned the ball over and he has come up big in critical situations.  I believ he has inspired his team to play better football and has earned his spot in the lineup. His stats might never look good on paper but as long as he keeps winning games, I guess it doesn't matter. He also seems like a good kid and that's got to count for something.

I hope he does well because pro football and pro sports need guys like Tim Tebow. Don't know about you guys but I was inspired watching that last drive of the game, and I'm not even a Bronco fan.  I hope he leads his team to victories against every team except the Bears!

Go Bears!

twitch54

« Reply #190 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:34 pm »
jackman, good post, I concur...........now lets hope he develops the rest of his 'quarterbacking skills' before he gets killed !!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #191 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:48 pm »
Jackman, Bears vs. Packers.  Who wins?  At Soldier Field?  In crummy weather?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #192 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:14 pm »
I agree with every word Jackman, exactly what I would have written (maybe better said by you).  I love the kid and wish him every success with the spark of freshness he brings to the No Fun League.  As we see the offense now, everyone agrees it can't maintain, much like the Wildcat it will be figured out quickly.  But that doesn't mean Fox can't morph it into something that will work, and we signs of that even now. 

If Tebow can become just a little bit better passer and they can run the spread with pass as the first option, his running ability becomes much more effective and they can score points in those games that they need to.  You see Fox doing that when they need to score at the end of games, he keeps Tebow protected during most of the game not letting Tim give the game away early, charging the defense with keeping it close.  If Tebow (another "if", I know) can run an offense that can successfully pass or run on any given down, it becomes a very dangerous animal behind that defense.   

jackman

« Reply #193 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:31 pm »
jackman, good post, I concur...........now lets hope he develops the rest of his 'quarterbacking skills' before he gets killed !!

He's a big tough dude but I agree, he needs to improve his accuracy to succeed in this league.  Denver also has to get him some help at running back.  Willis McGahee was running on one leg and had no business playing in that game.  Also, there were several poorly thrown balls but also several balls dropped (at least three that I saw) that should have been caught.  I'm not sure if Tebow will make it as a pro QB but I know I'll be pulling for him.  It's fun seeing the experts eat their words! 

Cheers,

J

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #194 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:39 pm »
Tebow is winning, that's a fact, but his stats (other than turnover to TD ratio) are terrible!!  If the stupid Jets just stick to the defense that limited Denver to just over 100 yards of total offense for the first 54+ minutes of the games, the last drive doesn't happen.  Even with the 95 yard drive, Denver barely managed 200 yards of total offense and had 11 first downs for the entire game.  Tebow's QB rating was a meager 61.3! 

Tebow is not a NFL caliber quarterback.  He is today's enhanced version of the wildcat and he will go the same way as it within a short period of time.  NFL teams will design defenses to stop Tebow, just like they did the wildcat.  When that happens and he has to rely on his traditional quarterback skills, it will be over.  No NFL quarterback can be effective long term when he completes less than 45% of his attempted passes. 

As for the Denver defense, it is ranked 31st out of 32 teams in terms of points allowed (only pathetic Indy is worse), 28th in total yards allowed, and is -4 on takeway/giveaway.  Not exactly an elite or even average defense.

George

jackman

« Reply #195 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:44 pm »
Jackman, Bears vs. Packers.  Who wins?  At Soldier Field?  In crummy weather?

Hey, the Bears are my team, but it's hard not to be impressed by what the Pack is doing this year.  I'm a huge Rodgers fan and he's got a great group of receivers to throw the ball to.  The Bears' defense is playing better and most people seem to have forgotten how closely these teams have played each other over the years, they are like Pacquao/Marquez! 

The Packers will be heavily favored (barring an injury to Rogers, etc.) but I wouldn't count the Bears out.  If Peppers lays the lumber to Rogers early in the game and the weather cooperates...anything is possible.  The only certainty is where I'll be during the game...parked on my couch in the Man-cave.

Cheers,

J

PS - sorry for all of he typos. I'm in an iPhone and it autocorrects things to the wrong word when I misspell things.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2011, 05:47 pm by jackman »

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #196 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:45 pm »
...If Tebow can become just a little bit better passer and they can run the spread with pass as the first option, his running ability becomes much more effective and they can score points in those games that they need to.  You see Fox doing that when they need to score at the end of games, he keeps Tebow protected during most of the game not letting Tim give the game away early, charging the defense with keeping it close.  If Tebow (another "if", I know) can run an offense that can successfully pass or run on any given down, it becomes a very dangerous animal behind that defense.

His passing mechanics and statics are dreadful.  He isn't a little tweak away from becoming just ok, he has Mt. Everest to climb!!  Have you watched him play?  Not only is he historically inaccurate, he looks constantly confused in regards to trying to read defenses and make calls.  He has limited ability to recognize defenses and go to more than his primary target. 

I have nothing against Tebow.  From a human interest story standpoint he is a great example of many good things and attributes that we see lacking in today's athletes.  But let's not let that color the fact that he shouldn't be a NFL quarterback.  I am sure as heck glad he isn't on my team!!

George

jackman

« Reply #197 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:56 pm »
Tebow is winning, that's a fact, but his stats (other than turnover to TD ratio) are terrible!!  If the stupid Jets just stick to the defense that limited Denver to just over 100 yards of total offense for the first 54+ minutes of the games, the last drive doesn't happen.  Even with the 95 yard drive, Denver barely managed 200 yards of total offense and had 11 first downs for the entire game.  Tebow's QB rating was a meager 61.3! 

Tebow is not a NFL caliber quarterback.  He is today's enhanced version of the wildcat and he will go the same way as it within a short period of time.  NFL teams will design defenses to stop Tebow, just like they did the wildcat.  When that happens and he has to rely on his traditional quarterback skills, it will be over.  No NFL quarterback can be effective long term when he completes less than 45% of his attempted passes. 

As for the Denver defense, it is ranked 31st out of 32 teams in terms of points allowed (only pathetic Indy is worse), 28th in total yards allowed, and is -4 on takeway/giveaway.  Not exactly an elite or even average defense.

George

George,
I agree and that's what makes Tebow's performance even more impressive.  His stats suck, Denver's defensive stats suck, yet they have one some good games against, and in the case of the Jets, they beat a team that was expected to make the playoffs and do well.  Haven't you been listening to that fat bag of goo, Rex Ryan.  In fairness, Rex has been humbled a bit but that crass loudmouth guy is just a couple wins away from making an encore appearance. 

I didn't think this guy was capable of winning in this league but he has, at least temporarily, proven me wrong.  As teams adapt to his style of play and limitations, he will need to learn to adapt and improve his performance, particularly passing accuracy. 

Don't forget, Tebow has won on every level.  He's got a Heisman and national championship from college, I believe.  He'll never be mentioned with the likes of Marino or Payton Manning but maybe he'll learn how to pass well enough to add some "trickeration" to the Denver offense.  That 95 yard drive was something special!  Maybe he'll never make as a pro QB, but for at least a small stretch, he proved many people wrong.

Jack

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #198 on: 21 Nov 2011, 01:28 pm »
Just when I started to believe in them, the Giants go ahead and lose (yet again) to the Eagles at the Meadowlands.  This was a complete failure by the team and a very disappointing home loss.  The Giants pretty much couldn't do anything on either side of the ball and frankly, looked over-matched.  :scratch:

Not only does this breath a little bit of life into the Eagles, it puts a serious hurting on the Giants playoff chances.  Not only does the loss put the Giants into a tie for first place with Dallas, it gives them another division and conference loss.  With upcoming conference games against New Orleans and Green Bay, it turns the two games against Dallas into must wins.

George

jackman

« Reply #199 on: 21 Nov 2011, 01:39 pm »
Tough break for my Bears, Cutler broke his thumb and appears to be done for the season.   He has been playing very good and this might be the end of the line for the Bears.  They should still beat lesser teams like KC and the Broncos but have their work. It out for them against quality teams.  Let the Caleb Haney era begin!

The Giants sucked last night. Losing to a bad Iggles team and their backup QB? he actually looked sharp at times but neither team played well. This strange year keeps getting stranger. We will see if the niners are for real on turkey day!  I think they will go I to Baltimore and beat the Ravens!