Squeeze Box Touch Optimization

lcrim

Re: Squeeze Box Touch Optimization
« Reply #120 on: 14 Mar 2011, 08:30 pm »
Its impossible to know why you got worse performance but this is an entire thread about a series of SW improvements that improve the Touch's sound quality.  One of the things is to turn off the wlan card which apparently you didn't do.  I suggest you read the entire thread or go to http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/01/soundchecks-squeezebox-touch-toolbox-20.html and http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/01/soundchecks-tt-beta-blog.html

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #121 on: 14 Mar 2011, 08:50 pm »
Its impossible to know why you got worse performance but this is an entire thread about a series of SW improvements that improve the Touch's sound quality.  One of the things is to turn off the wlan card which apparently you didn't do.  I suggest you read the entire thread or go to http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/01/soundchecks-squeezebox-touch-toolbox-20.html and http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/01/soundchecks-tt-beta-blog.html
Icrim, Not to be a jerk, but I did read the entire thread. That's how I got to the end! And I have completed some of the mods. But, I will check to see if I did turn off my wlan card. Thanks

lcrim

« Reply #122 on: 14 Mar 2011, 09:05 pm »
Darth Audio:
If you had shut off the wlan card, a wlan connection would not be possible unless you had done a reset.  I made a suggestion, I didn't call you any names.

BTW, my screen name starts w/ an L not an I only its a small l.
Larry Crimmins

bprice2

« Reply #123 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:24 pm »
What kind of a switch? Do you mean router?

Here is what Soundcheck recommends.

2. Try a small ethernet hub ( e.g. D-Link DGS 1005D) in front of the Touch.    Use a very short high quality unshielded CAT6A patch cable. The hub does some signal refreshing.(You wouldn't believe that this makes a difference.   

And, for more detail on ethernet connections, check out Soundcheck's chapter "2.2 Ethernet Tweaks."

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #124 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:55 pm »
Here is what Soundcheck recommends.

And, for more detail on ethernet connections, check out Soundcheck's chapter "2.2 Ethernet Tweaks."
Thanks for the help.. I think the problem lies with my router.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #125 on: 3 May 2011, 05:28 pm »
I was on the fence whether I should add an upgraded linear power supply to my Touch because I had a hard time believing the power supply would make a difference when using the spdif out. Curiosity got the best of me so I placed an order for a Welborne Labs power supply which took about three weeks to my door.

I have since swapped the Welborne and stock switching power supplies several times over the course of a week. It definitely makes a positive change in my system, most notably in the high frequencies ... more air, sparkle ... but also in bass output which is a little more subtle. The squeezebox Touch with Welborne power supply and Klaus' 2.0 software upgrade is a pretty impressive transport now. If you want to take your optimized Touch up a notch for a not to steep investment, I highly recommend the Welborne Labs power supply.

Phil

« Reply #126 on: 3 May 2011, 10:16 pm »
toxtech,

What SPDIF cable are you using?  In my own system, the interconnect was more critical to the overall sound than the linear supply.  Currently trying the Wywires LITESPD.  The fact that a digital cable can make such a difference has me  :scratch:

Phil

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #127 on: 3 May 2011, 11:30 pm »
I hear you on the 'differences'. That's how I felt when I switched to a Black Cat Veloce digital cable from my previous Dh Labs cable. As far as the power supply is concerned, I'm not sure why there's improvement for some and not for others. That's why I kept swapping the linear supply with the stock switching supply, to make sure what I was hearing was real and not imagined. The change is pretty obvious so I suspect the power in my area must be pretty dirty.

Syrah

« Reply #128 on: 11 May 2011, 07:58 pm »
Hi Guys.  I'd love to wire my Touch by Ethernet, but that just can't happen in my house.

Would a wireless ethernet port like this one -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122373

help matters at all?

cliffy

« Reply #129 on: 11 May 2011, 08:14 pm »
I used a Belkin powerline ethernet kit for my SB Touch.  Works like a champ. 

There are several mfg that make similar devices.  I haven't tried streaming anything except audio over the adapter so I am not sure how much bandwidth there is for HD video or similar.

Good luck.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #130 on: 11 May 2011, 08:36 pm »
I'm using a D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point with the DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router, works like a champ.

The bridge is used for everything in the rack that requires ethernet connectivity.

Syrah

« Reply #131 on: 11 May 2011, 09:53 pm »
To take it one step further, how about the Belkin Powerline HD -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-+Powerline+HD+Gigabit+Ethernet+Adapter+Kit/9285766.p?id=1218074556842&skuId=9285766

1000 mbps!

I guess I have to wonder what effect this would have on the quality of my power - then again, I have decicated lines for the stereo.

lcrim

« Reply #132 on: 11 May 2011, 11:42 pm »
There has been previous discussion re: powerline networking http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84818.0
I use two Linksys WRT-160N routers to avoid running cable between my upstairs where there is a Touch (and the music server) and downstairs where the connection to the internet (and another Touch and a Netflix BluRay player) are set up.  The two routers are connected wirelessly, they are reflashed w/ a third party firmware from DD-WRT.  If you don't want to run a cable through walls etc. this offers yet another option to shut down that wlan connection.
Recently, many have experienced issues w/ their Touches connecting to mysqueezebox.com after an update rather than to their local music database.  mysqueezebox.com is an internet based utility that provides access to internet radio services.
Larry
« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 01:57 pm by lcrim »

Syrah

« Reply #133 on: 12 May 2011, 02:56 pm »
Thanks for this.  Tough call.

HumanMedia

« Reply #134 on: 14 May 2011, 02:42 pm »
These things are toxic for audio systems. They dump huge amounts of RFI into your mains circuits. Even having a dedicated line won't do much as it goes out to the breaker box and in through another line.

To take it one step further, how about the Belkin Powerline HD -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-+Powerline+HD+Gigabit+Ethernet+Adapter+Kit/9285766.p?id=1218074556842&skuId=9285766

1000 mbps!

I guess I have to wonder what effect this would have on the quality of my power - then again, I have decicated lines for the stereo.

lcrim

« Reply #135 on: 14 May 2011, 03:21 pm »
Human Media:
Those who are actually using powerline networking are w/o exception very positive about its use.  The only negative comments I've found are theoretical.  My only problem w/ it is the cost.
Have you ever actually tried it?

Larry

Philistine

« Reply #136 on: 14 May 2011, 05:51 pm »
I'm one of the Powerline users, and was initially concerned about the theoretical issues related to pollution being injected into the AC power supply.  In practice I've found no sonic degradation whatsover, doing a comparison with a Transporter running wirelessly I could hear the impact of the noise from the wireless card but not from the Powerline adapter.  It's a great potential solution and I would encourage anyone trying it out and making up their own minds.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #137 on: 21 Aug 2011, 01:49 pm »
The thread is old, I'm old but Touch is new!!!!
I did some of the mods to the software and found the PCM change to be most beneficial so far. I haven't installed the toolbox yet but here is my question. The "Now Playing" screen has a few options for the way it displays-right now I have Artwork and Text selected but for a time on Friday I had a now playing screen with control buttons-Start,Stop,Shuffle etc...and it was perfect as I could make selections and change the options with the Touh, the remote,or my PC so it made it easier for me and saved me steps..now that UI is missing, and i can't see an option anywhere to get it to display again...anybody know how I make this come back?????

lcrim

« Reply #138 on: 21 Aug 2011, 02:56 pm »
In the Touch on screen menus there is an entire section to set up those features however you want.  You can do all those things and more.  Actually, I haven't had the screen powered on since last year.  IMO, a dedicated pc (or Mac for that matter) running the Squeeze Box Server and having the music library attached is an essential to high quality playback.  Vortexbox, both a free linux based software program and a hardware device(not free),  can free up your home pc from Squeeze Box duties.  It includes a music ripping feature.

There is a browser interface to Squeezebox available on any pc that is on the same network segment as the server.  If you are on the same pc as the server you would type in the  loop back address (127.0.0.1) followed by the port number 9000 (that is; 127.0.0.1:9000) and you can make up your playlists etc. from that interface.  From a different pc substitute the Squeeze Box Server pc's IP address for the loop back addres plus the port #.
Larry

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #139 on: 21 Aug 2011, 03:15 pm »
Larry- Hey Thanks....I got multiple ways to access squeezeserver, from my laptop, ipeng on my touch etc...I just want to make the Touch itself have that functionality for guests-like my son, sister, exwife and so on so they can just pick, or turn down volume--I know all that stuff will eventually be turned off as I go through the mods but for now I like it, I like seeing the screen and again I don't see any other options under setting to do anything more than Art and Text...I'll play some more...