Squeeze Box Touch Optimization

lcrim

Re: Squeeze Box Touch Optimization
« Reply #200 on: 6 Nov 2011, 05:25 pm »
Oops
Klaus just clarified on another board that to cancel the daemon killer, only a quick power off is necessary.

Larry

Syrah

« Reply #201 on: 22 Dec 2011, 04:28 am »
Hey Guys.  I've just gone through Klaus' pre 3.0 tips for settings on Media Server.  A pretty noticeable improvement already.

Now I'm trying to load up the 3.0.  I've made it to the Putty stage, keying in, "tar xvf to*".

All I get is a line stating, "/usr/bin/tt"

Can anyone take a guess as to where I went wrong?

Thanks!

lcrim

« Reply #202 on: 22 Dec 2011, 04:45 am »
Syrah:
What OS are you using to transfer the TT ?
I used Win7 and used WINSCP to do the file copy to the (/) directory on the Alsa system on the Touch.  Using WINSCP to do the transfer also gives you the tool to run the executables that make the changes.
Larry

firedog

« Reply #203 on: 22 Dec 2011, 06:11 am »
Hey Guys.  I've just gone through Klaus' pre 3.0 tips for settings on Media Server.  A pretty noticeable improvement already.

Now I'm trying to load up the 3.0.  I've made it to the Putty stage, keying in, "tar xvf to*".

All I get is a line stating, "/usr/bin/tt"

Can anyone take a guess as to where I went wrong?

Thanks!

Are you in /root

you need to be in /

in other words, the highest level in the directory structure. Look closely at the instructions on Klaus' page, it explains it clearly

Syrah

« Reply #204 on: 22 Dec 2011, 02:03 pm »
Thanks guys.  I will give this another go tonight.  I'm already pretty impressed with the improvements based on Klaus' recommended settings.

I managed to get my Touch on ethernet by using my old SB2 as the wireless receiver then connecting a crossover cable to the Touch.  This was really easy.

I still get lots of pauses though when trying to play high rez files.  I don't know if this is because my computer is too slow, or my wireless connection is too slow.  I suspect the latter.  My SB server is my laptop - connected wirelessly, so it would not surprise me if it is the fact that both my laptop and my Touch need to go through the wireless connection.

lcrim

« Reply #205 on: 29 Dec 2011, 12:29 am »
Has anyone else tried the SBGK also called the pg62 mods?  These are from the Audiophile section of the Squeezebox Forum under TT3.0 mods.  The priorities are being experimented with in this section.
I will admit to having tried this on both my Touches and after a day returned to the TT3.0 as clarity was lost.
Anyone have any further thoughts on this?
Larry

gregcss

« Reply #206 on: 21 Jan 2012, 06:59 pm »
So this was briefly discussed earlier in this thread but I didn't see an actual explanation. I am decoding flac at the server but when I do 24/96 files are converted to 1411 PCM. I read that the bitrate shown can be ignored but my concern is that hi res files are being down converted.

When i decode flac at the touch, the files are not down converted. I haven't done much a/b listening tests between the two settings but from what I read it's best to decode the file at the server. Is there a fix for hi res being down converted or is the display "converted to 1411 PCM" wrong and the full 24/96 is actually being decoded and transmitted to the touch? Should I stick to WAV for hi res files?

24/96 flac decoded on server

24/96 flac decoded on touch

firedog

« Reply #207 on: 22 Jan 2012, 09:25 am »
LMS or SBS on your server streaming to a Touch doesn't downsample the 24/96 files. Those bit rate readings your seeing aren't accurate.  At http://forums.slimdevices.com/ there is some discussion of this.

The exception to this is if you have an SB device that isn't hi-res capable (like Duet or SB2/3) and it is synched, then the software will downsample to 24/48, as this is the highest common rate that both units can play. It can't steam different streams to the 2 units.