Squeeze Box Touch Optimization

cloudbaseracer

Re: Squeeze Box Touch Optimization
« Reply #140 on: 21 Aug 2011, 03:27 pm »
I am not in front of my unit and may not understand what you are looking for but the first thing I thought was that you need to slide or flip the screen to the right. This gives you several different screen views. Just rake your finger and slide it towards left. I hope my memory is correct.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #141 on: 21 Aug 2011, 03:40 pm »
My unit is set up in Landscape mode, and the Now Playing screen shows the Album artwork and text to the right of it saying Artist and track with the progress bar underneath with the track time on either end of it. Friday night using this same version of SS and changing nothing other than some stuff on my laptop in SS that ahd nothing to do with the player, the "Now Playing" screen on the touch while being in landscape mode displayed the artwork, the text, the progress bar and some software buttons showing Stop, Start, Next, Shuffle, etcc....they went away and I want them back thats all I am trying to do, I liked that and it suddenly went away and I can find anything in the settings/screen/now playing options that gives me those buttons back.

pansixt

« Reply #142 on: 21 Aug 2011, 04:36 pm »
Ed,

I just broke down and ordered a Touch.
I couldn't put it off any longer.
Soon I will be asking for and hopefully providing help.
Sooo much great support here.
The first hi-rez download will most likely be the Talking Heads you mentioned. 8)

James

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #143 on: 21 Aug 2011, 06:39 pm »
James--you'll dig it!!! I've listened to it 4 times today...LOL :thumb:

shadowlight

« Reply #144 on: 21 Aug 2011, 06:41 pm »
My unit is set up in Landscape mode, and the Now Playing screen shows the Album artwork and text to the right of it saying Artist and track with the progress bar underneath with the track time on either end of it. Friday night using this same version of SS and changing nothing other than some stuff on my laptop in SS that ahd nothing to do with the player, the "Now Playing" screen on the touch while being in landscape mode displayed the artwork, the text, the progress bar and some software buttons showing Stop, Start, Next, Shuffle, etcc....they went away and I want them back thats all I am trying to do, I liked that and it suddenly went away and I can find anything in the settings/screen/now playing options that gives me those buttons back.

Ed, what happens when you touch the screen?  I get the same thing but when I touch the screen I get the play, forward, rewind, pause/stop button on the bottom of the screen.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #145 on: 21 Aug 2011, 06:45 pm »
When I touch the screen I get one of the screensavers-spectrum analyzer or if I touch up top I get an options menu about the track order that I can't make go away without the remote...its wierd, it was there Friday and I was so happy...LOL...now its toast

I read the entire manual and they call it the "Status Bar"  and it should be there, it never mentions once in the manual about hiding it, retrieving it etc....its a mystery, maybe the software, I did notice they are putting out an update to fix the update...LOL

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #146 on: 21 Aug 2011, 11:09 pm »
I got it...it was software, I downgraded to a lower version and all is well.

firedog

« Reply #147 on: 22 Aug 2011, 05:17 am »
In the advanced settings you can uncheck any of the screen modes you don't like. They'll stop appearing.

Kinger

« Reply #148 on: 3 Sep 2011, 11:45 am »
Just had to share that I hooked up a Jerome linear PS last night to my Touch and I simply can't believe the difference.  It's like eclein mentions in another thread where his soundstage seemed flat and in between his speakers using the wall wart and then using a good PS the soundstage jumped outside the speakers and had depth and height.  I experienced that exact same thing as well as obtaining additional clarity.  I'll probably do more A/B comparisons between the PS and the wall wart in the coming days just to make sure my mind isn't playing tricks on me, but for now I can certainly say that the minimal investment in the PS has yielded me fantastic results.

P.S. - This is using the digital outs to my EE DAC.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #149 on: 3 Sep 2011, 11:51 am »
Its wild isn't it?? Wayne has tried to explain the reason why a couple times to me but I don't get the technical end of this hobby very well, I go strictly by what sounds good to me. I'll be interested to read your further A/B comparisons-if its a head thing its got a bunch of us firmly in its grips...LOL :lol:

Kinger

« Reply #150 on: 3 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm »
Ed, I know what you mean about the technical side.  Try as I might, there are just some things I just don't understand :)

Normally on a change this big, I'd think it was me just falling into the music more than other nights or there may have been some "beer effect" going on, but last night there was no beer involved..........

Kinger

« Reply #151 on: 3 Sep 2011, 03:44 pm »
Are any of you guys using the software mods with the 7.6.1 version of the Squeezebox software?  I'm thinking about trying some of these software mods, but noticed that the website doesn't recommend them with version 7.6.  Unfortunately, I'm kinda stuck using wireless, but I like the idea of shutting the analog outs off if all I'm using is digital.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #152 on: 3 Sep 2011, 06:31 pm »
Kinger I had major problems with 7.6.1 but thats not saying you will, I went backward one version and fight off the urge to update when the little banners start popping up...hahaha... I did some mods to the touch like easy first 3 and it made a nice difference but some of the stuff I like so I'm stopping there as not to make it hard to get back the stuff I like. I like the screen, the  touch thing, the whole nine yards, someday I'll dig in and max it out but it sounds great to me right now....

datman

« Reply #153 on: 3 Sep 2011, 06:50 pm »
I am using Soucdcheck's mods successfully with 7.6.1. You MUST do a hard reset of the Touch in order for the mods to work. I finally figured this one out when I couldn't get the buffersize to reset. A re-boot and all is well. 7.6.1 seems to work quite well for me and it loads and indexes substantially faster than earlier versions.

lcrim

« Reply #154 on: 3 Sep 2011, 10:38 pm »
The Soundcheck Touch Toolbox 2.0 works just fine with Squeeze Box Server 7.6.1  Anytime there is a change or update of the firmware, not the server version, it is necessary to reinstall and reconfigure the TT 2.0
Klaus (Soundcheck) has posted that he will be issuing TT 3.0 sometime soon.  I'm looking to see what changes/improvements that will provide. 
Over on the Squeezebox Community Forum there's a thread to guide you through making audio threads running on your Touch have the highest priority.  This is an addition to the Touch Toolbox 2.0

Larry

bprice2

« Reply #155 on: 15 Sep 2011, 06:23 pm »
I'm curious if any of you guys have tried Dynobot's Squeezebox Touch Tweaks.  If I understand correctly, Dynobot's tweaks are designed to improve the sound of the digital output of the Touch.  However, I read that the tweaks can also improve the sound of the analog outputs.  So, what I'm interested in knowing is, will the Dynobot tweaks be helpful to one, like myself, who uses the Touch's internal DAC and would it be worth my time to implement the tweaks?

If you have any experience with this, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Brett

bprice2

« Reply #156 on: 16 Sep 2011, 03:54 am »
I'm curious if any of you guys have tried Dynobot's Squeezebox Touch Tweaks.  If I understand correctly, Dynobot's tweaks are designed to improve the sound of the digital output of the Touch.  However, I read that the tweaks can also improve the sound of the analog outputs.  So, what I'm interested in knowing is, will the Dynobot tweaks be helpful to one, like myself, who uses the Touch's internal DAC and would it be worth my time to implement the tweaks?

If you have any experience with this, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Brett

Well, I went ahead and did the tweak and it's definitely changed the sound.  I just don't know yet if it's for the better.  It might just be. We shall see.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #157 on: 16 Sep 2011, 03:15 pm »
This looks like some interesting additional tweaks. I'll have to give it try, though it won't be for a little while due to work and a listening room in turmoil (again  :evil:)

mjock3

« Reply #158 on: 16 Sep 2011, 11:55 pm »
There has been previous discussion re: powerline networking http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84818.0
I use two Linksys WRT-160N routers to avoid running cable between my upstairs where there is a Touch (and the music server) and downstairs where the connection to the internet (and another Touch and a Netflix BluRay player) are set up.  The two routers are connected wirelessly, they are reflashed w/ a third party firmware from DD-WRT.  If you don't want to run a cable through walls etc. this offers yet another option to shut down that wlan connection.

Larry

Larry,

Could you tell me more about the  DD-WRT? Why one needs it? It sounds like a tempting way to go,(I mean  a wireless bridge) but I don't understand how to implement the whole thing.

Thanks,

Mark

lcrim

« Reply #159 on: 17 Sep 2011, 12:49 am »
bprice:
From the thread in the audiophile section of the Squeezebox Touch Community Forums https://sites.google.com/site/computeraudioorg/squeezebox-touch-tweaks
I have implemented (in addition to the Soundcheck Touch Toolbox 2.0) some additional lines in the rcS file to raise the interrupt priority, prevent audio threads from sharing interrupt lines and adjust interrupts/processes according to their use. 
As I have the spdif output shut off, all alterations to that output are skipped.(I have the analog mods by Bolder Cables done on both my Touch.) 
The instructions on how to implement these alterations are covered in the thread.  The following has been appended to the rcS file
chrt -f -p 93 11
chrt -f -p 91 5
chrt -f -p 50 367
sleep 10
jalsa=`ps -eo pid,args|grep "jive_alsa -d default"|head -1|cut -f3 -d" "`
chrt -f -p 55 $jalsa

Larry