Squeeze Box Touch Optimization

lcrim

Re: Squeeze Box Touch Optimization
« Reply #160 on: 17 Sep 2011, 01:10 am »
mjock3:
I had one of the Linksys/Cisco WRT-160N routers die during a recent thunderstorm and replaced it with an old WRT54GL.  As they both are Broadcom based, there was only a small hassle getting them to connect.  That small hassle took me about 4 hrs to troubleshoot. 
The first step is to flash the routers with the correct version of DD-WRT, very important.  Follow the HELP files in the router for establishing Wireless Distribution System to get the two routers talking to each other wirelessly.  The DD-WRT site is really very clear and well organized and I learned a ton from it and it was fun.

Larry

mjock3

« Reply #161 on: 17 Sep 2011, 12:01 pm »
Thanks Larry,

Are you using the 54GL as a client? I was going to use a 54GS as the second router.

Lastly did you notice a difference in sound by going this route?

Thanks much,

Mark

lcrim

« Reply #162 on: 17 Sep 2011, 02:23 pm »
Mark:
Check the info on the DD_WRT site.  The fact is that WDS is not a recognized format by any authority. It works on routers based on similar chipsets.  I don't know if the 54GS is a Broadcom chip based but I think it is.  As far as the sound is concerned, the upstais Touch and the SqueezeBox server pc are connected to the 54GL (wired connection) and the living room Touch is connected to the 160 as well as the internet device from Comcast.  The two playback systems are different enough that I can make no judgement about the differences in sound quality. 
In using the Squeezebox, keep in mind that you are not streaming sound but ethernet packets and the device does the conversion to sound.  As long as the packets arrive at the device and are reassembled properly into data (music) it will sound correct, just like this message which is on a packet switched network too.

Larry

bprice2

« Reply #163 on: 17 Sep 2011, 04:54 pm »
bprice:
From the thread in the audiophile section of the Squeezebox Touch Community Forums https://sites.google.com/site/computeraudioorg/squeezebox-touch-tweaks
I have implemented (in addition to the Soundcheck Touch Toolbox 2.0) some additional lines in the rcS file to raise the interrupt priority, prevent audio threads from sharing interrupt lines and adjust interrupts/processes according to their use. 
As I have the spdif output shut off, all alterations to that output are skipped.(I have the analog mods by Bolder Cables done on both my Touch.) 
The instructions on how to implement these alterations are covered in the thread.  The following has been appended to the rcS file
chrt -f -p 93 11
chrt -f -p 91 5
chrt -f -p 50 367
sleep 10
jalsa=`ps -eo pid,args|grep "jive_alsa -d default"|head -1|cut -f3 -d" "`
chrt -f -p 55 $jalsa

Larry

Larry,

Thank you so much for this.  I admit that I am in way over my head with this mod, but from what I've been able to accomplish so far, I'm finding very positive results.  The change that I've heard in my system over the last couple of days is astonishing to me.  So far, I'm not hearing any drawbacks to this mod.  It's all been for the better.

My Touch has the Bolder analog mod, Wayne's Rev. 1 power supply, and the Soundcheck mods.  Dynobot's mods seem to be the icing on the cake.

On the Squeezebox thread there was speculation that Soundcheck might be integrating similar mods in his TT 3.0.  Have you heard anything similar?

Thanks,

Brett

lcrim

« Reply #164 on: 19 Sep 2011, 06:15 pm »
Brett:
Klaus is being quite secretive re: TT3.0 but I'm guessing that a reboot to factory specs will be necessary prior to installation so an A/b comparison won't be possible.  Still, if its better than TT2.0 it will be stunning.

Larry

TJHUB

« Reply #165 on: 22 Oct 2011, 10:14 pm »
I just wanted to post that I just did the Dynobot's Touch mods on my stock Touch that previously only had the soundcheck TT2.0 mods on it. 

I don't want to get into how enormously long my story is, so I'll keep this very simple.  OMG!  I can't believe how much the Dynobot changes affected the sound for the better.  I've been really struggling with some changes I've made recently, and completely fell out of love with the sound I had.  In desperation, I decided that I'd try a few things before selling my DAC (an Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus).

I can't believe what these changes did.  The increase in clarity and definition has brought all the magic back to my sound.  Thank goodness, because I was almost going to throw in the towel.  I can't recommend these changes enough!

shadowlight

« Reply #166 on: 23 Oct 2011, 08:19 pm »
bprice:
From the thread in the audiophile section of the Squeezebox Touch Community Forums https://sites.google.com/site/computeraudioorg/squeezebox-touch-tweaks
I have implemented (in addition to the Soundcheck Touch Toolbox 2.0) some additional lines in the rcS file to raise the interrupt priority, prevent audio threads from sharing interrupt lines and adjust interrupts/processes according to their use. 
As I have the spdif output shut off, all alterations to that output are skipped.(I have the analog mods by Bolder Cables done on both my Touch.) 
The instructions on how to implement these alterations are covered in the thread.  The following has been appended to the rcS file
chrt -f -p 93 11
chrt -f -p 91 5
chrt -f -p 50 367
sleep 10
jalsa=`ps -eo pid,args|grep "jive_alsa -d default"|head -1|cut -f3 -d" "`
chrt -f -p 55 $jalsa

Larry

Larry, how do I go about finding out the analog only interrupt?  I am reading through the logitech forum thread also.

lcrim

« Reply #167 on: 23 Oct 2011, 09:17 pm »
shadowlight:
I didn't try to find analog only but rather removed the the spdif settings as my units don't use the digital (spdif) output.
BTW-Soundcheck should be issuing his 30TT anytime now and it contains support for changing the priorities for interrupts and music playing threads as well.
Larry

shadowlight

« Reply #168 on: 24 Oct 2011, 12:58 am »
shadowlight:
I didn't try to find analog only but rather removed the the spdif settings as my units don't use the digital (spdif) output.
BTW-Soundcheck should be issuing his 30TT anytime now and it contains support for changing the priorities for interrupts and music playing threads as well.
Larry

Thanks Larry.  Read through the complete thread on Logitech forum and did not see answer to your question about analog outs.  Will skip the spidf command.  Looking forward to Klaus TT3.0 mods.

lcrim

« Reply #169 on: 26 Oct 2011, 08:30 pm »
I am (not so patiently) waiting for Klaus to post his TT30 mods and upgraded my Squeezebox Server  to 7.7.0 which has been again renamed (Logitech Media Server).  Checking the Dynobots mod and finding and resolving inconsistencies between my two Touch rcS files. 
Now I'm thinking that these sound so f'ing good I may not install the TT30.

Larry

bprice2

« Reply #170 on: 26 Oct 2011, 09:05 pm »
I am (not so patiently) waiting for Klaus to post his TT30 mods and upgraded my Squeezebox Server  to 7.7.0 which has been again renamed (Logitech Media Server).  Checking the Dynobots mod and finding and resolving inconsistencies between my two Touch rcS files. 
Now I'm thinking that these sound so f'ing good I may not install the TT30.

Larry

Resistance is futile.

TJHUB

« Reply #171 on: 30 Oct 2011, 12:15 am »
Here is an update from Klaus on the TT3.0 mods from today:

Quote:

Status Update

My "norwegian beta-test branch"  , reported slight instabilities of TT3.0 last night.

I hoped that I got the reporeted issue under control.

I need to look into it. Sorry.

As soon as I get it fixed TT3.0 will be released.

Syrah

« Reply #172 on: 30 Oct 2011, 07:13 pm »
Hi Guys.  I'm trying to somehow get my Touch on ethernet rather than wireless.  And I'm not having much luck.

My laptop server and Touch are in the same room, but getting ethernet in there is almost impossible.  What I would like to try now is using my laptop as a bridge.  So the laptop gets the signal wirelessly, but then connects to the Touch via ethernet.

How would I do this on Windows Vista?  I tried some online help, but I'm not getting there.

I read somewhere that SB suggested using the older box as a bridge to the computer, and this enable the SB and computer to "talk" to each other over the ethernet line.

Any thoughts?

lcrim

« Reply #173 on: 30 Oct 2011, 07:38 pm »
Syrah:
I'm having difficulties understanding your issue.  How many computers are involved and how are they connecting to the internet?
Larry

JEaton

« Reply #174 on: 30 Oct 2011, 07:38 pm »
Hi Guys.  I'm trying to somehow get my Touch on ethernet rather than wireless.  And I'm not having much luck.

My laptop server and Touch are in the same room, but getting ethernet in there is almost impossible.  What I would like to try now is using my laptop as a bridge.  So the laptop gets the signal wirelessly, but then connects to the Touch via ethernet.

How would I do this on Windows Vista?  I tried some online help, but I'm not getting there.

I read somewhere that SB suggested using the older box as a bridge to the computer, and this enable the SB and computer to "talk" to each other over the ethernet line.

Using an older SB as a wireless bridge would work, but the first idea would be better. When using the SB as a bridge, audio streamed from the laptop to the Touch would travel over two wireless hops - from the laptop to the router, then from the router to the Touch. When using the laptop as a bridge you would have zero wireless hops except when streaming content from the Internet.

I'm not familiar with Vista, although I would expect the bridging setting to be found under Control Panel > Network Connections > {wireless_adapter} > Properties.

Setting up an old Squeezebox as a wireless bridge is fairly easy. The key is to connect the old SB to the touch with an ethernet cable before attempting it. Without a working physical ethernet connection the option is not available. If I recall correctly it requires going back out to the setup menu by holding down the left-arrow on the remote and then going into the network setup.

Syrah

« Reply #175 on: 31 Oct 2011, 12:59 am »
Thanks guys.  I have my server laptop in the same room as my Touch.  The phone, internet, router connections are on the other side of the house.  So everything is wireless here.

When I try to bridge the connections to try to make the Ethernet output on my computer an "output" to the Touch it tells me, "To create a network bridge, you must select at least two LAN or High Speed Internet connections that are not being used by the same Internet Connection Sharing."

Neither my LAN nor my wireless seem to have the sharing enabled, but I really don't know what I'm doing here.

Cheers.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #176 on: 31 Oct 2011, 01:32 am »
Anybody else notice that the Touch Toolbox 2.0 link is broken?  :scratch: Is that because Klaus is upgrading it to 3.0?

Anand.

lcrim

« Reply #177 on: 31 Oct 2011, 03:07 am »
Syrah:
I'm having difficulties understanding your issue.  How many computers are involved and how are they connecting to the internet?
Larry
I am guesiing here because you have not answered my question, but you can probably add another wireless router, an older 802.11b,g model would be fine, as long as that one is based on the same brand of chip as your main internet router and you can build a wireless link between the two.  Plug the Touch and the server laptop into the new router, separately,and once the two routers (Wireless Distribution System) are communicating you'll be good to go.  The new router must not be a DHCP server, the main router should do all the address leasing.  I've done this utilyzing DD-WRT reflashing both routers.                                 
Larry

lcrim

« Reply #178 on: 31 Oct 2011, 03:09 am »
Anand:
I think you are right about Klaus' TT3.0  Europe is 6 hours ahead of us,at least on the east coast, so it may be happening soon.
Larry

Syrah

« Reply #179 on: 31 Oct 2011, 03:56 pm »
Thanks Larry.  Starting with the phone line, our system goes - phone line, main modem, two ethernet connections (one to my wife's computer, the other to a wireless router).  The wireless router gives the connection for laptop computer, which acts as the server for 3 squeezeboxes, and a Sony wireless TV.  So leaving my wife's computer out of it, everything is wireless.

I do have some extra wireless routers kicking around.  Will they act as receivers for the wireless signal in the set up you recommend?  I assumed they only broadcast the signal.

Do you know why it's not letting my use my laptop as a bridge?

Cheers.