Squeeze Box Touch Optimization

Wayne1

Re: Squeeze Box Touch Optimization
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jul 2010, 01:04 am »
The Touch can play 24/96 files natively.

The DUET, SB3 require SOX to downsample the 24/96 to 24/48 so they can play it.

kyrill

« Reply #41 on: 14 Jul 2010, 11:14 am »
Turnandcough:
I don't think that an ssh connection is available w/ any of the older Logitech devices.  What the scripts accomplish in the Touch, can be done in other ways in the earlier Logitech devices.

This is interesting but how can this be done?

highfilter

« Reply #42 on: 11 Aug 2010, 11:31 am »
Just a quick update about the software tweaks and wireless vs. LAN...

I had to use the wireless connection on the Squeezebox for awhile since moving and waiting for longer cables to arrive. Got the cables and switched over to a wired connection and put the software tweaks on (some of the tweaks only work with wired connections) - and I just got blown away again. The Touch is a great digital transport and these tweaks are fantastic. One of the main reasons is probably turning off the wireless signal portion of the Touch. Simple, cheap and effective tweaks to bring the Touch to the next level.

Can't recommend them enough, especially moving to a wired connection. For those sticking to wireless for convenience, you won't regret switching over. Great improvement.

firedog

« Reply #43 on: 12 Aug 2010, 11:41 am »
A bit off topic here but I just realized that, with my SB3, I can't play 24/96 files when I configure things so that the server does the decoding.
I am aware that SB3 isn't actually able to play in 24/96  but when the decoding is done by the player at least the files can be played(16/48).

Does this occur with the Touch also?

Since the Touch works natively with 24/96, you can set up the decoding to be server side and not on the touch. However if you try to send files that are higher res than 24/96 this way you will get an error message. For those extremely hi-res files the tweak doesn't work.

firedog

« Reply #44 on: 12 Aug 2010, 11:43 am »
I don't think that an ssh connection is available w/ any of the older Logitech devices.  What the scripts accomplish in the Touch, can be done in other ways in the earlier Logitech devices.

This is interesting but how can this be done?

I believe it can be done. I know it can be done on the Duet, b/c I've done it. Don't own an SB3 so can't comment with authority on it.

mfsoa

« Reply #45 on: 12 Aug 2010, 12:42 pm »
If an ethernet cable is run from a router to the Touch, is this the same (to the Touch) as if the cable were run from the PC? (I use a laptop)
Thanks
-Mike

Big Red Machine

« Reply #46 on: 12 Aug 2010, 12:52 pm »
If an ethernet cable is run from a router to the Touch, is this the same (to the Touch) as if the cable were run from the PC? (I use a laptop)
Thanks
-Mike

Yes.  Essentially you have networked your music.  My SB is right next to the desktop the music is driven thru but they are both connected to the router and not to each other.  Then I get internet to the computer and the music can be picked up by another SB in the house on the wired network.

jtsnead

« Reply #47 on: 12 Aug 2010, 01:17 pm »
So how do you turn off the wireless card

lcrim

« Reply #48 on: 12 Aug 2010, 01:49 pm »
The router is usually set up as the center point of your home network.  Connect it to the device that your ISP has in place and all the other devices connected to that internal router either by ethernet or wifi (802.11) will be able to reach the internet or each other.

jtsnead: Are you really so lazy that you can't go back and read the original post? Just in case http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/p/squeezebox-touch-great-base-for-network.html

mfsoa

« Reply #49 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:08 pm »
Thanks Larry and BRM,

Would I want to use Cat6?  6a?  5 ok?  for a ~ 10 meter run from the router to the Touch?   

Thanks again...

-Mike 

lcrim

« Reply #50 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:12 pm »
Cat 6A

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #51 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:15 pm »
I've been using CAT6 with my Duet..here is a link to the one I got, hasn't given me a lick of trouble!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V1R96G/ref=oss_product
Enjoy!! :thumb:

lcrim

« Reply #52 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:20 pm »
If you're going to buy one, get Cat6A.  If you have a Cat 5 laying around, use that.

ctviggen

« Reply #53 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:42 pm »
Cat 6a seems overkill for audio.  What's wrong with cat 5E?  Put it this way, most of my house is wired with cat5e, and I download huge files in no time.  Audio is well, well, well beneath the speed limit of cat 5e. 

lcrim

« Reply #54 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:58 pm »
ctviggen:
You're correct but if you are buying network cable now, it makes sense to get Cat6 because the material costs are nearly equal, the installation labor cost is equal and Cat6 offers double the bandwidth.  You may need that bandwidth down the line.

mfsoa

« Reply #55 on: 13 Aug 2010, 02:58 pm »
I'm having trouble finding Cat6a terminated in 50' lengths. (usually choices stop at 14')
Does anyone have a good source?

The article initially linked by lcrim suggests using unshielded.  Any opinions on that?

And I don't doubt you ctviggen, but if I'm buying new I might as well splurge (at least until I see what the $$ is...)

-Mike

ebag4

« Reply #56 on: 13 Aug 2010, 03:01 pm »
Monoprice is your supplier of all things cable  :thumb:...and at good prices!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023216&p_id=5905&seq=1&format=2

Best,
Ed

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye

lcrim

« Reply #58 on: 13 Aug 2010, 03:25 pm »
UTP = unshielded twisted pairs
STP = shielded twisted pairs
I tend to buy from newegg and their offerings are here http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Cat+6a+UTP+50%27&x=22&y=33
They have a warehouse in Edison, NJ.

mfsoa

« Reply #59 on: 13 Aug 2010, 04:05 pm »
I almost always support Newegg as well, but when I looked there was not one thing that said Cat6a

Is it the "500 mhz" or some other designation that is denotes the 6a vs. the 6? or Meets draft 11 of the TIA/EIA CAT 6 standard?

I'd prefer to buy from the Egg but didn't know what I was getting...

Thanks everyone, again. You da best.

-Mike