Squeeze Box Touch Optimization

shadowlight

Re: Squeeze Box Touch Optimization
« Reply #100 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:19 pm »
That is old school Deepak.  :lol:

I used to make my own cables.  When it works, it is certified!
Yep, been there and done that.

JEaton

« Reply #101 on: 12 Jan 2011, 09:18 pm »
The Touch's ethernet interface has Auto-MDIX, so doesn't require a crossover cable.

shadowlight

« Reply #102 on: 12 Jan 2011, 10:03 pm »
The Touch's ethernet interface has Auto-MDIX, so doesn't require a crossover cable.

Got even easier  :thumb:

JEaton

« Reply #103 on: 12 Jan 2011, 10:32 pm »
Thanks guys. My router is across the house and there's no way I can run a cable. My only option then is to get another router for the living room or try some of those plug-in power line jobbies. Not sure I want the noise injected in my mains nor do I want the added cost of extra equipment just to make it work. Decisions, decisions.

Is your current router a wireless router?  If so, what I would do if I wanted both internet connectivity and a wired connection for the Touch is install a second wireless router in the living room that could be used as an wireless ethernet bridge.  Then hook up the computer and the Touch to the bridge with ethernet cables.  They'll be able to talk to each other, to other computers on your home network, and access the internet.

In this setup the computer doesn't need to be in the same room as the Touch.  The Squeezebox Server can be anywhere on your home network.

Yeah, I know it's another piece of gear that you didn't want to buy...

(Also note that not every wireless router can be configured as a bridge.  You'll have to be careful in your selection, but that doesn't mean it will be expensive.)

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #104 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:55 pm »
Is your current router a wireless router?  If so, what I would do if I wanted both internet connectivity and a wired connection for the Touch is install a second wireless router in the living room that could be used as an wireless ethernet bridge.  Then hook up the computer and the Touch to the bridge with ethernet cables.  They'll be able to talk to each other, to other computers on your home network, and access the internet.

In this setup the computer doesn't need to be in the same room as the Touch.  The Squeezebox Server can be anywhere on your home network.

Yeah, I know it's another piece of gear that you didn't want to buy...

(Also note that not every wireless router can be configured as a bridge.  You'll have to be careful in your selection, but that doesn't mean it will be expensive.)

Oy! I really despise trying to set up a network :duh:. Your suggestion is what I've been trying to accomplish today and I haven't been successful yet. I bought a second wireless router but apparently it cannot be configured as a bridge. Next I bought a dedicated bridge and to my delight it works really well with the other router but it only has one ethernet port which makes it useless for my needs. So now I'm off to see if I can find a reasonably priced router that can act as a bridge or I maybe I'll just settle for those plug-in jobbies and call it a day.

JEaton

« Reply #105 on: 13 Jan 2011, 01:38 am »
Oy! I really despise trying to set up a network. Your suggestion is what I've been trying to accomplish today and I haven't been successful yet. I bought a second wireless router but apparently it cannot be configured as a bridge.

Which model?

Next I bought a dedicated bridge and to my delight it works really well with the other router but it only has one ethernet port which makes it useless for my needs.

Right, many dedicated bridges have just a single port.  If you need more ports you can add an inexpensive four or five port switch.  I have seen some with built in switches (i.e. multiple ports), though.

Do you need the computer in the living room to operate the Squeezebox for some reason? Or is it for other purposes?

So now I'm off to see if I can find a reasonably priced router that can act as a bridge or I maybe I'll just settle for those plug-in jobbies and call it a day.

Do some online research.  Most manufacturers will state in the specification whether the router can be configured as a bridge, or whether a dedicated bridge has a built in switch.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #106 on: 13 Jan 2011, 01:59 am »
 JEaton,
Thanks for your help, I may have found a solution. I'll report back in a bit.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #107 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:13 am »
All connected now. 8)  I have to give a big thanks to JEaton for pointing out the obvious...that I didn't need to have the computer in the same room as the Touch. It allowed me to use the single ethernet port bridge for the Touch while tethering the minimac to the wireless router downstairs. Fingers crossed that I can figure out how to upload the script to the Touch.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #108 on: 14 Jan 2011, 09:03 pm »
I'm finally 'Touch 2.0' optimized. I still need to find the recommended cat6A cable and also switch the power supply for a decent linear one. It sounds very good but interestingly my sound stage has collapsed. Before the touch (analog outs from a modified Oppo player) it extended several feet outside of my speakers on either side and now using the digital out into a Paradisea dac the sound stage is strictly between the speakers. I'm going to play around with it some more, but I'm curious if anyone else has observed the same.

Wayne1

« Reply #109 on: 14 Jan 2011, 09:07 pm »
Try reversing the polarity on your speaker cables.

The Paradisea may invert polarity in it's output stage.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #110 on: 14 Jan 2011, 09:31 pm »
Wayne,

That's it! Reversed the leads and back to normal. Thank you!

Phil

« Reply #111 on: 22 Jan 2011, 09:55 pm »
another software mod from Klaus:  http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/01/soundchecks-tt-beta-blog.html#more

interested in what folks find.  Can't use this one if you control the volume with the Touch.

lcrim

« Reply #112 on: 22 Jan 2011, 10:37 pm »
Have the volume control disabled mod in place for a few days now.  All the Touch2.0 mods in place as well on both Touch.
The sound acquired a bit more prat, low bass feels more punchy.  I had not been using the buffer mod because of crackling  noises.  Last week I added it back @ 4000, then w/ the volume control removed the dynamics both micro and macro became more dramatic.  Somewhere in this last stage i read somebodies post to remove all replay gain settings and I find that using random play is now a bit too loud or a bit too soft.  Find I'm listening to more full albums as once the gain is correctly adjusted, I don't need to jump up and adjust the volume again.   My setups are both using integrated amps w/ passive attenuators.  The need for another form of remote volume control is clear.  The sound quality is too good to mess w/ the gain structure.  I learned to hate using tube preamps because of the noise they add @ the price point I could afford.

JEaton

« Reply #113 on: 22 Jan 2011, 10:48 pm »
Somewhere in this last stage i read somebodies post to remove all replay gain settings and I find that using random play is now a bit too loud or a bit too soft.

What did you remove? ReplayGain isn't enabled by default.

lcrim

« Reply #114 on: 22 Jan 2011, 10:59 pm »
I had used Foobar to set replaygain per track duting each ripping session.  I undid it through Foobar again and also through the Touch menus (had to undo the TouchToolbox2.0)

JEaton

« Reply #115 on: 22 Jan 2011, 11:15 pm »
I had used Foobar to set replaygain per track duting each ripping session.  I undid it through Foobar again and also through the Touch menus (had to undo the TouchToolbox2.0)

You added ReplayGain tags to the files when you ripped. The tags by themselves do nothing unless the playback system applies the values. Had you also enabled ReplayGain on the Touch?  Few people do except for background listening.

lcrim

« Reply #116 on: 22 Jan 2011, 11:56 pm »
yes, but no longer and I rarely listen at background levels.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #117 on: 14 Mar 2011, 05:33 pm »
Nonsense.

I'm not sure whether Ethernet uses error correction, but I'm positive that any error correction scheme used would be via ECC using parity bits and will be bit-perfect.  When corrections cannot be made, packets are retransmitted.

Keep in mind that the Squeezebox only uses 100 Mbit Ethernet, not 1 Gbit, not 10 Gbit.  Absolutely no need for Category 7 cabling.  Use unshielded cabling, which is much easier to install properly.
I read about the ethernet connection over wireless, so I went out and purchased a 50' CAT5 cable. I hooked it up to my router and SB Touch. Went in the Touch and set it up for ethernet. The sound got worse? It sounded as if there was a veil in front of my speakers? I went back to wireless and the sound opened up. If ethernet (wired) is suppose to better, why did I not have the same results? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

bprice2

« Reply #118 on: 14 Mar 2011, 05:41 pm »
I read about the ethernet connection over wireless, so I went out and purchased a 50' CAT5 cable. I hooked it up to my router and SB Touch. Went in the Touch and set it up for ethernet. The sound got worse? It sounded as if there was a veil in front of my speakers? I went back to wireless and the sound opened up. If ethernet (wired) is suppose to better, why did I not have the same results? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

My understanding is that longer lengths of shielded ethernet cable cause ground loops.  The cure is to run your shielded cable to a switch and then use a short length of unshielded cable to your Touch.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #119 on: 14 Mar 2011, 07:41 pm »
My understanding is that longer lengths of shielded ethernet cable cause ground loops.  The cure is to run your shielded cable to a switch and then use a short length of unshielded cable to your Touch.
What kind of a switch? Do you mean router?