Squeeze Box Touch Optimization

Phil A

Re: Squeeze Box Touch Optimization
« Reply #82 on: 22 Dec 2010, 11:59 pm »
Thanks for the link as well!

Phil

« Reply #83 on: 24 Dec 2010, 10:07 pm »
Happy Holidays everyone.  Perhaps the wrong time to ask given how busy folks are....but for those who have tried both the DIGITAL hardware and software mods, I'm interested in your findings/comparisons. 

Thanks.

« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2010, 04:02 am by Phil »

lcrim

« Reply #84 on: 2 Jan 2011, 07:15 pm »

I have been using two Squeezebox Touch that have the Bolder Cable analog mods done.

From Bolder Cables:"The mods start out with improving power supply delivery and decoupling to the DAC chip. We then remove the electrolytic coupling capacitor from the analog signal path. This cleans up the harsh sounding high end, lowers the overall noise floor and extends the low end and enhances definition."

These Squeezebox Touch replaced SB3's in my systems, and I am using the regulated, linear power supplies originally purchased for the SB3's.

Also, the Soundcheck SW mods are installed on both Touch.  Both Touch are connected via ethernet and all processing of flacs to PCM is done at the pc running Squeexebox Server. The SW mods include a script to prevent the wlan card from powering up at boot as well as some other services.  Output from the digital out is shut down. 

Recently, the "screen off" and "buffer" mod were added, the "screen off' mod can be reversed by a reboot and then the scrren turned off again through an ssh connection.  Turning off the screen, was an enormous sound quality gain (elimination of RFI and EMI.)  The hardware and SW mods were cumulative.
I control playback with a browser connection on port 9000. The IR remote can stop and start playback even w/ the screen off.  So I am using the AKM 4420 DAC which is the native DAC in the Touch and w/ all the other SW improvements the sound quality is truly stunning at a very reasonable cost.

« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2011, 06:01 am by lcrim »

PeteG

« Reply #85 on: 9 Jan 2011, 02:13 am »
I have been using Soundcheck’s Toolbox 2.0 mod and so far, a cleaner signal with less noise.  Did have to rise the buffer to 4000us with 24/96 files also using WinScp you can disable/enable the mods.

datman

« Reply #86 on: 9 Jan 2011, 04:39 am »
I just installed Touch Toolbox 2.0 and completely agree with your assessment.  So far I have not had any problems with 24/96 files. All I know for certain is my Touch sounds noticeably better with the mods.

Phil

« Reply #87 on: 9 Jan 2011, 10:20 pm »
I just installed Touch Toolbox 2.0 and completely agree with your assessment.  So far I have not had any problems with 24/96 files. All I know for certain is my Touch sounds noticeably better with the mods.

+1   :thumb:  Great stuff.  Just noticed that there is a donation button at the very bottom of the website.  Seems like a good "cause."

Phil

Gopher

« Reply #89 on: 10 Jan 2011, 02:58 am »

Noticeably better than stock or noticeably better than with the prior optimizations?  I'm toying with giving it a whirl tonight though I guess there is no rush as my DAC is out for mods...

datman

« Reply #90 on: 11 Jan 2011, 04:36 am »
It sounds better than both.  Once I get my Wyred DAC-1 upgraded to 24/96 usb, I will use the usb output and listen for even more improvement.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #91 on: 11 Jan 2011, 11:43 pm »
I was planning on trying his modifications but I need some questions answered first. Why the need for a router? Can't you just have a short ethernet cable from your computer to the touch? Also, I'm curious if any of you who are 'Touch 2.0' optimized are using macs. If so, what application did you use to copy the files to the Touch? I downloaded Fugu but can't make sense of it when using the instructions from his blog.

shadowlight

« Reply #92 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:39 am »
I was planning on trying his modifications but I need some questions answered first. Why the need for a router? Can't you just have a short ethernet cable from your computer to the touch? Also, I'm curious if any of you who are 'Touch 2.0' optimized are using macs. If so, what application did you use to copy the files to the Touch? I downloaded Fugu but can't make sense of it when using the instructions from his blog.

Nothing prevents you from hooking up the computer directly to the touch, just make sure that you use a cross over ethernet cable (pins 2 and 3 are swapped on one end).  The router just makes it easy and allows you to use your computer for other things and not just squeezebox server for touch.

No clue on the Mac question.

Phil

« Reply #93 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:18 am »
You might want to ask your Mac question here:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/168871-squeezebox-touch-modifications-23.html

Also, see the discussion on that page re running the Touch directly to a PC.

lcrim

« Reply #94 on: 12 Jan 2011, 03:29 am »
It sounds noticeably better than without and there is no USB output stock.  USB is an input in the stock version.
John Swenson wrote a mod to adapt the USB input to a USB output.  It can be found @ http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=82110
The Touch is best used as a player not a storage device.  If you take the time to read the blog, the recommendation are to use a separate PC as Squeezebox Server.  Running on wired ethernet with an internet connection is also suggested.  You will have setup complications w/o an internet connection to MySqueezebox.com and no internet radio.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 02:31 pm by lcrim »

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #95 on: 12 Jan 2011, 06:52 am »
Thanks guys. My router is across the house and there's no way I can run a cable. My only option then is to get another router for the living room or try some of those plug-in power line jobbies. Not sure I want the noise injected in my mains nor do I want the added cost of extra equipment just to make it work. Decisions, decisions.

HAITIMAN

« Reply #96 on: 12 Jan 2011, 07:01 am »
I tried both, wired and wireless. I did not hear any difference and I never have any signal drops running the SQBT wireless.
I also tried ethernet cable from laptop straight to touch. Again no difference. 24/96 files perform equally with all three connection variants.

For me, in my system.....no difference.

JEaton

« Reply #97 on: 12 Jan 2011, 07:07 am »
You will have setup complications w/o an internet connection to MySqueezebox.com and no internet radio.

Unfortunately, that's true for the setup.  But I believe you can set it up on a connection with internet access and then move it somewhere else and it should function without one.

lcrim

« Reply #98 on: 12 Jan 2011, 08:02 am »
This thread is about Squeezebox Touch optimization and the latest mods now available here http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/01/soundchecks-squeezebox-touch-toolbox-20.html
and it is possible to take your Touch somewhere else and register it w/ mySqueezebox.com and then get the initial firmware download.  It would not be very convenient to install and configure the TouchToolbox 2.0 tar archive in the above link unless you were on a network w/ internet access.
As far as whether or not it sounds better wired or wireless-among the mods suggested on the blog include shutting down all services which increase processor usage and would include the wlan card and the display as well as some others,  the overwhelming response has been that the improvement is both cumulative and dramatically positive.

Levi

« Reply #99 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:08 pm »
That is old school Deepak.  :lol:

I used to make my own cables.  When it works, it is certified!

Now you can easily buy crossover cables or adapters.  :thumb:

Nothing prevents you from hooking up the computer directly to the touch, just make sure that you use a cross over ethernet cable (pins 2 and 3 are swapped on one end).  The router just makes it easy and allows you to use your computer for other things and not just squeezebox server for touch.

No clue on the Mac question.