Amarra Music Player

Crimson

Re: Amarra Music Player
« Reply #100 on: 24 Jul 2009, 10:37 am »
Just received this email from Sonic Studio (I removed some content of the email that is for current Amarra users only):

July 23, 2009

Hello and Thank you for using Amarra over the last few months. We greatly appreciate your support and are working hard to improve Amarra.  We'd like to provide you a link to the latest software version and let you know the new features that we are working on for the next release.

Amarra 1.1 - Next Release

We are now busy starting work on Amarra 1.1 targeted for release this fall.

The main features Amarra 1.1 include:

? Support for Apple Lossless

? Support for FLAC

? Amarra Vinyl Recording and Format Converter

What is Amarra Vinyl?  Amarra Vinyl is a standalone application with the following capabilities :

? Records Vinyl and other analog sources up to 192 kHz.

? Import CDs

? Burn CDs

? Export Tracks into iTunes

? High Quality Sample Rate Conversion             

For all current users of Amarra interested in Vinyl recording we can provide a copy of soundBlade and noise restoration tools until Amarra Vinyl is released.  Please write use at Sonic Studio for more information.

As you may have also heard we have been working on a smaller version of Amarra.  Amarra Mini is a no-frills playback application that works up to 96 kHz.  Advanced features like 192 kHz playback, EQ, Volume, Dither and Metering and upcoming Amarra Vinyl and Format Conversion are reserved for Amarra.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to write us at support@sonicstudio.com.

Thanks again for using Amarra.

Best regards,

cryoparts

« Reply #101 on: 24 Jul 2009, 10:41 am »
The new update has a couple of nice enhancements to the UI.  I can't wait for the ALAC support!

Lee

Just received this email from Sonic Studio (I removed some content of the email that is for current Amarra users only):

July 23, 2009

Hello and Thank you for using Amarra over the last few months. We greatly appreciate your support and are working hard to improve Amarra.  We'd like to provide you a link to the latest software version and let you know the new features that we are working on for the next release.

Amarra 1.1 - Next Release

We are now busy starting work on Amarra 1.1 targeted for release this fall.

The main features Amarra 1.1 include:

? Support for Apple Lossless

? Support for FLAC

? Amarra Vinyl Recording and Format Converter

What is Amarra Vinyl?  Amarra Vinyl is a standalone application with the following capabilities :

? Records Vinyl and other analog sources up to 192 kHz.

? Import CDs

? Burn CDs

? Export Tracks into iTunes

? High Quality Sample Rate Conversion             

For all current users of Amarra interested in Vinyl recording we can provide a copy of soundBlade and noise restoration tools until Amarra Vinyl is released.  Please write use at Sonic Studio for more information.

As you may have also heard we have been working on a smaller version of Amarra.  Amarra Mini is a no-frills playback application that works up to 96 kHz.  Advanced features like 192 kHz playback, EQ, Volume, Dither and Metering and upcoming Amarra Vinyl and Format Conversion are reserved for Amarra.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to write us at support@sonicstudio.com.

Thanks again for using Amarra.

Best regards,

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #102 on: 24 Jul 2009, 01:57 pm »
Lee, I only noticed a button change, as I posted earlier (changed with 3159.zip).  What else did you see in the UI that you liked?

mercman

« Reply #103 on: 24 Jul 2009, 03:20 pm »
I am having a problem playing some of my 88.2/24 files with the new 3160 in Amarra. iTunes is fine.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #104 on: 24 Jul 2009, 03:28 pm »
I am having a problem playing some of my 88.2/24 files with the new 3160 in Amarra. iTunes is fine.

Mine play fine.  I had a little issue with the mini player but that never reoccurred.  If I remember it happened on 88.2 but was likely a coincidence; I think it happened first time I tried anything at 96k or below after watching Amarra Mini automatically turn off when accessing above 96K.  When the Mini version came back on the first time it failed to reset the Itunes volume to zero and ended up broadcasting both streams, with the expected delay/echo effect.  As I said, it never reoccurred.

mercman

« Reply #105 on: 24 Jul 2009, 03:39 pm »
3159 is working fine also. Just 3160 for me with some 88.2/24 files- not all 88.2/24 files.  Go figure?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #106 on: 24 Jul 2009, 04:07 pm »
3159 is working fine also. Just 3160 for me with some 88.2/24 files- not all 88.2/24 files.  Go figure?
Hmmm..I'll test all mine.  Thx

cryoparts

« Reply #107 on: 24 Jul 2009, 08:36 pm »
Lee, I only noticed a button change, as I posted earlier (changed with 3159.zip).  What else did you see in the UI that you liked?

That was it.  I thought there was something else, but as I think about it, the button is the only thing I can see.

Peace,

Lee

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #108 on: 25 Jul 2009, 02:32 pm »
Well, whether it's related to my new ilok ($50 monthly trial) or whatever, but last night's listening created a real issues:  3160 is unable to play certain tracks...on the same album...in redbook!!  It's random, but when I then go to the iTunes console and force it Amarra turns off and gives way to iTunes!  I reverted back to this weeks 3159 release and all is good...at all sample rates.

mercman

« Reply #109 on: 25 Jul 2009, 02:52 pm »
Thanks Ted.  I thought I was nutz with this problem. Please let Jon know. When this info comes from only one guy, it is suspect.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #110 on: 25 Jul 2009, 03:13 pm »
I sent Jon (and customer support) an email.

mercman

« Reply #111 on: 26 Jul 2009, 01:35 am »
3161 seem to work fine so far. :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #112 on: 26 Jul 2009, 01:40 am »
3161 seem to work fine so far. :thumb:

Same here

dave clark

• www.positive-feedback.com
« Reply #113 on: 26 Jul 2009, 08:15 pm »
3161 already... ? Just downloaded 3160 but have yet to try it. How did you hear about 3161?

cryoparts

« Reply #114 on: 26 Jul 2009, 08:50 pm »
3161 already... ? Just downloaded 3160 but have yet to try it. How did you hear about 3161?

X2.

Lee

gman

« Reply #115 on: 26 Jul 2009, 09:14 pm »
X3

Gary

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #116 on: 26 Jul 2009, 09:21 pm »
Got an email; just use same link (copy it into URL and then edit and change to "3161").. I wouldn't use 3160 if I were you.   :wink:  if so, please report to us any issues.  My $.02 says you'll find one or two.

mercman

« Reply #117 on: 26 Jul 2009, 09:25 pm »
The only issue I have with Amarra is that on some CDs it will impose silence (restarts) between tracks instead of a smooth transition. Perhaps it needs a fix to stay active for a second or so after a song.

3161 has worked well so far.  :scratch:

gman

« Reply #118 on: 26 Jul 2009, 10:22 pm »
I have found there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between some versions of Amarra software. For example, between version 3145 and 3160, there was a dramatic improvement in SQ after careful comparisons on a highly resolving system. I didn't get the announcement of 3161 yet, but I will definitely install it and give it a listen once I get the download link.

This tells me that Sonic Studio is doing a very good job of continually improving and updating their software, which is comforting considering the cost.

bunnyma357

« Reply #119 on: 26 Jul 2009, 10:59 pm »
Has anyone had a chance to compare Amarra to playback through Pure Vinyl 3?  I've been demoing Pure Vinyl and it sounds much better to me than iTunes - I'm upsampling to 192kHz and going to a Focusrite Saffire as the DAC (and ADC for digitizing).

The Software/Hardware requirements and pricing for Pure Vinyl seems much lower, and features seem similar. The Pure Vinyl interface is a little clunky and there's about a 3 second pause between iTunes songs as it does the upsampling, but the SQ is good. I was playing around with the application mainly for digitizing LP's, but noticed an improvement over iTunes playback that seems similar to the improvements being described with Amarra.

Pure Vinyl 3 Preview Download Link:

http://www.channld.com/pure-vinyl_download.html

Jim C