Amarra Music Player

Double Ugly

Re: Amarra Music Player
« Reply #80 on: 9 Jul 2009, 05:24 pm »
Guys, I would STRONGLY urge you to get on the phone to Sonic Studios. I have had a few conversations with them about a lower priced Amarra product. They have a lot of plans for the current product, including a high rez vinyl ripping program and part of that is what plays into the $1500 price tag. I discussed with them a simple package that is simply their software and the auto-sample rate adjusting. I have no need for the EQ, dithering, vinyl stuff, or whatever else they are going to add. This package could be available to us at sub $500 prices  :thumb: They have stated there is a lot of interest in this but they more they hear from us the more likely they are to do it  :wink: To me, and I am sure a lot of others, at that price point Amarra is a no-brainer.

That's great news! I've also heard of some other features for the higher priced version.

I agree stripped-down versions would be big sellers, but personally I've waited years for a vinyl ripper of sufficient quality to justify the time it'll take to rip my and my wife's albums.  I'd dearly love for the Amarra program to be the answer.

Fact is, I need to more thoroughly investigate all the pieces and parts offered, but I've no doubt allowing customers to pick 'n choose only those capabilities they want/need would result in a relatively significant sales increase.

John Hughes - per chance, might Ted Lind**** in Mass. have used your program?  Just curious; he's a long-time friend.

low.pfile

« Reply #81 on: 9 Jul 2009, 06:04 pm »

Request for a "lite" version has been made to SS via email.

Cool to know they are just over the bridge in San Rafael. I was in San Raf just last weekend at friends'.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #82 on: 9 Jul 2009, 06:05 pm »
Yes a stripped down version (not adding a better ripper, et al, they'd want MORE $$) would be wonderful, would create an upgrade program for them (adding in EQ, dithering, eq and vinyl conversion) and would give us all a feeling that we got something. 

I agree with low.pfile that Amarra is creating a warmer soundstage, with more body and more depth.  it's funny, but the Ayre QB-9 USB DAC (damn good, BTW) has an apodizing MP filter that has considerable R&D into it.  they have a whole white paper on it, and it is the default filter for the QB-9 (called "listen").  When switching this filter in and out it gives a very similar uplift that Amarra does.  :)  And in fact, when comparing two aysnchronous USB DACs, the Ayre and the Wavelength Cosecant (both using Gordon's aysnch code, but only the Ayre using the MP filter) the Amarra/iTunes a/b comparisons are much more dramatic with the Cosecant than the Ayre. 

As I stated earlier, i felt Amarra was producing a slight lower midrange/upper bass hump with the Ayre, and thought it might have been due to the combo of Amarra and the filter.  I've since tamed it to perfection with power cords and further burn-in.  The Ayre is quite a DAC folks (as is the tubed Cosecant, but slightly smoother and more forgiving..too tame in my system for my tastes). 

Crimson

« Reply #83 on: 10 Jul 2009, 02:37 am »
Yes a stripped down version (not adding a better ripper, et al, they'd want MORE $$) would be wonderful

From what I understand, additional features will not cost additional $$$ (at least for the 'full' version) as long as you are within your 3 year window.

Pale Rider

« Reply #84 on: 13 Jul 2009, 01:40 am »

Request for a "lite" version has been made to SS via email.

Cool to know they are just over the bridge in San Rafael. I was in San Raf just last weekend at friends'.

Same here. Although I might be willing to plop down the full boat after finishing the "dongled demo," I wouldn't mind the option of a lighter weight version.

Tuckers

« Reply #85 on: 13 Jul 2009, 05:27 am »
Double Ugly, I don't know this Ted you are referring to.

Crimson

« Reply #86 on: 13 Jul 2009, 02:26 pm »
John,

Any I insight as to what might be in the pipes as regards an update?

Tuckers

« Reply #87 on: 18 Jul 2009, 10:48 pm »
There will be a new release of Amarra coming soon.  It is mostly improvements to the user interface, fixes, and a few tweaks.

Double Ugly

« Reply #88 on: 19 Jul 2009, 01:17 pm »
Double Ugly, I don't know this Ted you are referring to.

A few years ago, Ted joined you and others at Jules Coleman's home for a VRS demo/6moons review.  Ted always spoke well of Vince and I thought he knew you as well. 

No worries; just wondered if he might be someone from whom I could get another take on your product.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #89 on: 19 Jul 2009, 03:54 pm »
I won't get into the pricing and value topics, but I would like to comment on the sonics of Amarra.

Based on spending the last couple of days listening and comparing Amarra on Ted's "new" Mac Book feeding a Weiss DAC2 vs. a Modwright Transporter feeding the same DAC2, the Amarra setup was slightly better than the Modwright TP/DAC2 combo.  It had a little better sense of space and produced a larger and more 3D like image. 

However, the difference was tiny compared to the level of improvement we were able to achieve by inserting a Majik Buss (see this thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68006.0) in front of Ted's Audience Adapet power conditioner or Occam's Kaplan Cable power cords (both regular and conditioner cords) on his preamp, DAC2, and Modwright TP.

I will also have to say that I asked Ted to eventually turn off the Amarra setup due to the pause in the music that happens every 50 seconds.  It just became too distracting and annoying.  I gladly gave up the small level of improvement for a non-pausing and non-intruding Modwright TP setup.

George

drubin

« Reply #90 on: 19 Jul 2009, 06:01 pm »
Based on spending the last couple of days listening and comparing Amarra on Ted's "new" Mac Book feeding a Weiss DAC2 vs. a Modwright Transporter feeding the same DAC2, the Amarra setup was slightly better than the Modwright TP/DAC2 combo.conditioner cords) on his preamp, DAC2, and Modwright TP.

How was the Transporter feeding the DAC2 -- via S/PDIF or AES/EBU?

jhm731

« Reply #91 on: 19 Jul 2009, 06:59 pm »
I won't get into the pricing and value topics, but I would like to comment on the sonics of Amarra.

Based on spending the last couple of days listening and comparing Amarra on Ted's "new" Mac Book feeding a Weiss DAC2 vs. a Modwright Transporter feeding the same DAC2, the Amarra setup was slightly better than the Modwright TP/DAC2 combo.  It had a little better sense of space and produced a larger and more 3D like image. 

However, the difference was tiny compared to the level of improvement we were able to achieve by inserting a Majik Buss (see this thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68006.0) in front of Ted's Audience Adapet power conditioner or Occam's Kaplan Cable power cords (both regular and conditioner cords) on his preamp, DAC2, and Modwright TP.

I will also have to say that I asked Ted to eventually turn off the Amarra setup due to the pause in the music that happens every 50 seconds.  It just became too distracting and annoying.  I gladly gave up the small level of improvement for a non-pausing and non-intruding Modwright TP setup.

George

To properly evaluate this software you need to purchase the 30 day full demo:

http://store.sonicstudio.com/amaspt.html

Adding Amarra to iTunes, produces a much better sense of space,more inner detail and cleaner deeper bass.

I don't know if I'd spend $1500. for this improve, but I know I wouldn't spend $1500. on any power cords. 8)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #92 on: 19 Jul 2009, 09:51 pm »
TP was feeding the DAC2 in two ways, directly via AES/EBU (DH Labs wonderful but inexpensive D-100 cable) and indirectly via SP/DIF/Pace Car.

silverlight

« Reply #93 on: 20 Jul 2009, 09:16 pm »
John or Vincent - is it possible to get Amarra/iTunes to cache the current song into RAM or is this outside the scope of Amarra (and in the hands of Apple)?  Just thinking about SSD or DDR drive options...
Thanks!

jhm731

« Reply #94 on: 23 Jul 2009, 07:38 pm »

silverlight

« Reply #95 on: 23 Jul 2009, 07:49 pm »
Great news on the Amarra Mini!!  Does it support all file resolutions as the full version (and will it include the upcoming ripper)?  I'm sure there'll be a lot more takers at this price

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #96 on: 23 Jul 2009, 07:54 pm »
No, up to 24/96 only!   :(  Sadly it is intended for an uplift/upgrade to full 24/192 and EQ, etc.

silverlight

« Reply #97 on: 23 Jul 2009, 08:02 pm »
bummer  :duh:

Extra $1100 for 24/176-192....  :o  (as I'm highly unlikely to use the other functions)

cryoparts

« Reply #98 on: 23 Jul 2009, 08:23 pm »
Amarra Mini:

http://store.sonicstudio.com/amarramini.html

Cool!  Looks like a great solution for those who won't, or can't, get the full package. 

Peace,

Lee

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #99 on: 23 Jul 2009, 08:46 pm »

What the lazy need to do is this:

make sure you play something that is a multiple of your hirez file so when Amarra Mini turns off (it turns off after 24/96) and you go to, say HRX, that the last thing you played was 24/88.2 (half of 176.4). Same goes for 24/192 stuff...make sure Amarra Mini last played a 24/96 file. Itunes doesn't switch (of course), but at least your downsample is mathematically correct. :)