Amarra Music Player

mercman

Re: Amarra Music Player
« Reply #40 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:19 pm »
Link to Amarra review:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=pcaudio&n=52593&highlight=amarra

Amarra works with AIFF. All of my files are AIFF. You misunderstood him.

gman

« Reply #41 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:34 pm »
With a Wavelength Cosecant V3 you will be in heaven, especially with high-rez material. ( Not that the improvement isn't easily heard with 44.1/16 stuff). You can read my review of Amarra at Computer Audio Asylum. 

Amarra works with AIFF. Just doesn't work with Apple Lossless and Flac yet.

I just spoke with John at Sonic Studio and he said it wouldn't work with Mac AIFF.

I have Amarra too and most of my files are AIFF and it works wonderfully.

Crimson

« Reply #42 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:39 pm »
Per this link, v1.1 will include ALAC and FLAC support. It currently only supports WAV and AIFF (my entire library is AIFF and it works just fine).

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:48 pm »
Link to Amarra review:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=pcaudio&n=52593&highlight=amarra

Amarra works with AIFF. All of my files are AIFF. You misunderstood him.

You were correct as you know.  Thanks a bunch!

Tuckers

« Reply #44 on: 18 Jun 2009, 07:03 pm »
jwtrace,  Amarra does work with Apple Aiff files, I am playing it now.

cryoparts

« Reply #45 on: 18 Jun 2009, 07:58 pm »
Works great with AIFF or WAV, but not ALAC.

Lee

With a Wavelength Cosecant V3 you will be in heaven, especially with high-rez material. ( Not that the improvement isn't easily heard with 44.1/16 stuff). You can read my review of Amarra at Computer Audio Asylum. 

Amarra works with AIFF. Just doesn't work with Apple Lossless and Flac yet.

I just spoke with John at Sonic Studio and he said it wouldn't work with Mac AIFF.

weggis

« Reply #46 on: 19 Jun 2009, 05:39 am »
As I understand Amarra avoids Apples core audio and this is one of the reasons, why it sounds how it sounds.
Is there a similar software to Amarra? I am aware, that there is none which incorporates Itunes the way Amarra does (really clever). However is there a software music player, that improves sound quality on Itunes, even if it lacks the convenience of Amarra.
I am interested in buying Amarra, however it doesn't work with my i/o (metric halo). This is strange since Amarra i/o are based on mh products.
There is also the high price for the amarra, I know they are from the pro market where you can charge more for software, since developing pro software is more time consuming. But being in the consumer market, where most software is for free or not too expansive, I am hesitant to spend this kind of money on audio software.

cfmsp

« Reply #47 on: 19 Jun 2009, 09:58 pm »
I am interested in buying Amarra, however it doesn't work with my i/o (metric halo). This is strange since Amarra i/o are based on mh products.

I"m in the same boat as you - I have a Metric Halo ULN-2.

Is that what you're using?  Perhaps John Hughes will pass a request along to Jon Reichbach.  When I downloaded the demo, I mentioned to Jon that I was using Metric Halo, and was surprised to learn that they were not supported, esp. since they make the Sonic Studio Hardware.

BTW, as you probably know the ULN-8 is getting absolutely rave reviews from the recording crowd.

Tuckers

« Reply #48 on: 19 Jun 2009, 10:05 pm »
Amarra does not work with Metric Halo products at this time.

cfmsp

« Reply #49 on: 19 Jun 2009, 10:25 pm »
Amarra does not work with Metric Halo products at this time.

John,
Is Metric Halo under consideration?

Does the fact that MH make the Sonic gear somehow preclude MH devices from being 'approved'?

Hopefully, it's just an omission due to likely small number of people interested in Amarra who also use the pro audio MH gear.

thanks
clay

Moon Doggy

« Reply #50 on: 22 Jun 2009, 09:40 pm »

Does the fact that MH make the Sonic gear somehow preclude MH devices from being 'approved'?

Do you think Sonic will be unhappy if audiophiles spurn their gear to find the same performance in Metric Halo's pro audio equipment (with the music player software included) at half the price?

Double Ugly

« Reply #51 on: 3 Jul 2009, 05:10 pm »

Do you think Sonic will be unhappy if audiophiles spurn their gear to find the same performance in Metric Halo's pro audio equipment (with the music player software included) at half the price?

Apparently I missed whatever killed this thread, but would you mind being more specific WRT which MH equipment one can purchase for half the price and achieve the same level of performance?  Have you made comparisons yourself?

TIA.

Robert57

« Reply #52 on: 3 Jul 2009, 09:55 pm »
I wonder how the new Quicktime X technology embedded in Snow Leopard will affect Core Audio, and by extension Amara? Quicktime X is supposed to a pretty major overhaul, and I would imagine that all playback through iTunes, and Core Audio, ultimately runs through Quicktime.

Rob

Crimson

« Reply #53 on: 6 Jul 2009, 06:29 am »
I wonder how the new Quicktime X technology embedded in Snow Leopard will affect Core Audio, and by extension Amara? Quicktime X is supposed to a pretty major overhaul, and I would imagine that all playback through iTunes, and Core Audio, ultimately runs through Quicktime.

Rob

From what I've read, 10.6 will be true 64-bit including QT. Whether this has any bearing on SQ is yet to be seen (heard).

shokunin

« Reply #54 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:24 am »

From I've been told the MH and the Sonic Model 4 have different internals, slightly modified to meet Sonic Solution's requirements.  Different firmware, different internal software processing.  Plus, Amarra is not OEM'd to Metric Halo, so even if you buy the Metric Halo unit, you'd still have to buy Amarra to go with it, assuming they update support for the Metric Halo units.

jhm731

« Reply #55 on: 7 Jul 2009, 12:06 am »

From I've been told the MH and the Sonic Model 4 have different internals, slightly modified to meet Sonic Solution's requirements.  Different firmware, different internal software processing.  Plus, Amarra is not OEM'd to Metric Halo, so even if you buy the Metric Halo unit, you'd still have to buy Amarra to go with it, assuming they update support for the Metric Halo units.

Most audiophiles don't need 8 channels in/out.  I know this a Pro Audio company, but IMO, they'd sell alot more
2 channel digital interfaces or their own Firewire to SPDIF converter.

Double Ugly

« Reply #56 on: 7 Jul 2009, 01:21 pm »

Apparently I missed whatever killed this thread, but would you mind being more specific WRT which MH equipment one can purchase for half the price and achieve the same level of performance?  Have you made comparisons yourself?

TIA.

Bump for Moon Doggy.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, MD; like most here, I simply want the best return for each dollar spent.  If you have information which will help us make better, more informed purchase decisions, I'm sure we'd all appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Crimson

« Reply #57 on: 7 Jul 2009, 01:34 pm »
DU,

As was alluded to above, the MH and SS hardware is not identical. Also, the software that is included with MH gear, being pro grade, only allows for exclusive file playback which, IMO, is a PITA for us enthusiasts who enjoy having our entire libraries available at our fingertips with playlists, etc.

That said, I've read some great reviews of the MH gear.

EDIT: The comparable MH dac, the ULN-8, is not half the price of the SS Model 4. Adding software to the dac brings it to within $500 of the Amarra Model 4 combo.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #58 on: 7 Jul 2009, 02:21 pm »
Yes, the ULN-8 and Sonic Model 4 seem to be within $500 or less when you factor out Amarra.  I'm not so sure of the major innerds differences; I was told they are minor.  My $.02.

Separate Amarra question: does anyone notice a slight upper bass or lower midrange hump (some would say "bloom') in the Amarra sound....all of the other clear benefits (top end, blackness, etc.) notwithstanding?   I'm hearing it as I demo the new Ayre QB-9 DAC with it's MP (minimum phase) filter, and maybe the combo of the two are causing a little bloating there.  Not bad, but noticeable enough for me.

Crimson

« Reply #59 on: 7 Jul 2009, 04:24 pm »
Yes, the ULN-8 and Sonic Model 4 seem to be within $500 or less when you factor out Amarra.  I'm not so sure of the major innerds differences; I was told they are minor.  My $.02.

Separate Amarra question: does anyone notice a slight upper bass or lower midrange hump (some would say "bloom') in the Amarra sound....all of the other clear benefits (top end, blackness, etc.) notwithstanding?   I'm hearing it as I demo the new Ayre QB-9 DAC with it's MP (minimum phase) filter, and maybe the combo of the two are causing a little bloating there.  Not bad, but noticeable enough for me.

Ideally, you'd want to try it with a dac you're familiar with. I haven't noticed what you're describing in the lower mids.