Would you pay 3k for this?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Would you pay 3k for this?
« Reply #80 on: 12 Nov 2008, 09:46 pm »
No placebo effects here.

Zero?(pun)  Are you sure?  How do you know?

This is my point.  A set of data can't be explained within your accepted scientific paradigm.  So you question the finding by implying that it is a placebo effect, which cannot be positively proven within your epistemological paradigm.  What if these same "placebo" affects are repeatable to certain set of subjects which may or may not include you?  Do you accept that these people have a different but valid bio-physical interface where different sound can be heard or do you insist that they are delusional?

I don't believe human perception can be reduced to just physical acoustic explanations.  I am always open to new possibilities (finding new ways of explaining hitherto "impossible" phenomena) even as I am vary wary of snake oils.

miklorsmith

« Reply #81 on: 12 Nov 2008, 09:50 pm »
YES, or +1, or whatever the cool internet forum dork support message is.

sts9fan

« Reply #82 on: 12 Nov 2008, 10:10 pm »
I suppose that's 1 word you could use to describe your posts,,,,,,, Laughing

Explain please.  Besides that post where i was joking.  You make serious accusations.  Please elaborate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

sts9fan

« Reply #83 on: 12 Nov 2008, 10:14 pm »
This is my point.  A set of data can't be explained within your accepted scientific paradigm.  So you question the finding by implying that it is a placebo effect, which cannot be positively proven within your epistemological paradigm.

I see your point but I am not saying this has to be 100% placebo.  Zero claimed there was none.  I do believe there are levels and they can compound. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #84 on: 12 Nov 2008, 10:25 pm »
I suppose that's 1 word you could use to describe your posts,,,,,,, Laughing

Explain please.  Besides that post where i was joking.  You make serious accusations.  Please elaborate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You have a PM! :thumb:

*Scotty*

« Reply #85 on: 12 Nov 2008, 10:53 pm »
Ted claims that the Acoustic ART System does the same thing as treating a room with conventional acoustic materials. In as much as we can measure the effect on the rooms acoustic response caused by conventional materials and adjust their placement and composition according to a series of measurements,we should be able to measure the effect that the  Acoustic ART System has on room acoustics and optimize their placement in the room via those measurements. If we cannot measure any effect on the room acoustics with the Acoustic ART System in place the only conclusion that remains is that our perceptions of the room's acoustic have changed. I have Talisker 18 for this purpose and it is cheaper and tastes better.
Scotty

Vinyl-Addict

• Groovetracer - Products for Rega turntables.
« Reply #86 on: 12 Nov 2008, 11:01 pm »
If we cannot measure any effect on the room acoustics with the Acoustic ART System in place the only conclusion that remains is that our perceptions of the room's acoustic have changed. I have Talisker 18 for this purpose and it is cheaper and tastes better.
Scotty

I think Ted was asked for measurements 3 pages ago.

BTW Scotty, What is Talisker 18? I think I may have heard mention of it in Star Trek, The Wrath of Khan, could be wrong though.  :scratch:

miklorsmith

« Reply #87 on: 12 Nov 2008, 11:02 pm »
HAHAHAHA, good one.  The Giant Man-Stomping Women from Talisker 18, scaaarrryyy.

It's a very, very fine single malt scotch whiskey.  It performs as Scotty claims.  Or, maybe it's all in my head.   :wink:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #88 on: 12 Nov 2008, 11:17 pm »
Ted,

As stated before, people maybe willing to give these products a try (me included) if they were priced within reason. Can you give us a clue as to why they cost so much  :scratch:

MCA,
I understand why some may see the Acoustic ART System as expensive. I can also understand why some people feel it is too small to control room acoustics in a normal sized listening room, let alone in a large listening room. And while people are all looking for a small unobtrusive room tuning system, one that can be hooked up in less then a half hour, few people are ready to believe such a system can exist when presented with just that. Prior to the Acoustic ART System, treating a room effectively through conventional means cost far more then the princely sum of 3k while no one expected to treat a room without destroying its aesthetic with diffusers and absorbing panels and traps. For some the Acoustic ART System seems expensive for what it is, while others see it as inexpensive for what it does.

The fact is developing a room treatment system that is small yet powerful and unobtrusive was a very expensive and time consuming process. And without going into a lot of details, we had three separate development programs that ran simultaneously- one for casting resonators, one for forging resonators, and one for CNC machining resonators. In the end only one process worked properly. Then there was the lengthy process of developing resonators that worked in harmony when placed at key pressure points around a listening room. Then there is the arduous process of tuning each Acoustic Resonator by hand where we ultimately have a 50% rejection rate for resonators but only after attempting to tune them and analyse their acoustic property with a spectrum analyser. Or Quantum Tunneling each resonator before it leaves our factory. And of course, patent fees, packaging, distribution fees, paying workers, buying material, research and development costs, taxes- is it any wonder very few things are still made 100% in the USA?

As is always the case, it is easier to make something massive and low tech then it is to make something small and effective. What is not the norm here is that traditional room acoustic treatments stuffed with Owens Corning fiberglass (hardly a high tech or expensive to manufacturer solution) actually costs more to treat a room with, and has results that fall short when compared to the Acoustic ART System. In the end, anyone is free to take the Acoustic ART challenge through their local Synergistic Research dealer and make up their own minds as to what constitutes value.

Yours in music,

Ted Denney Lead Designer Synergistic Research Inc.

Hi again Ted,
Surely if you've done so much development on your product, then you must have done acoustic room testing yet there's no details of this available. Is it asking too much for you to provide acoustic documentation of your product in action? Surely you're not saying that room tuning using your product can not be acoustically tested & documented? Let's talk about this Ted,,, please address the naysayers. :D

Thank you.
Robin

Ted_D

« Reply #89 on: 13 Nov 2008, 12:05 am »
Ted claims that the Acoustic ART System does the same thing as treating a room with conventional acoustic materials.

Scotty and satfrat,
The Acoustic ART System deals with acoustics in a way that is very different from conventional room treatments. I did not state nor do I mean to imply that they are the same- far from it. A system treated with traditional acoustic dampening sounds darker and its imaging is contained in and around its speakers far more then the room that is left relatively "live" and treated with the Acoustic ART System. Where as the former sounds like a very nice hi-fi, the later sounds more holographic, more you-are-there.

The problem with measurements are two fold- one they reduce the experience to the abstract (though some would argue the opposite) and two they get away from the experience. As far as I am concerned, if you do not trust your ears then why bother? For example, if one set of measurements shows one outcome while another set of measurements shows another, then the decision as to which approach is best is based more on how a person values one set of measurements, and less about the actual experience. At the end of the day any benefit that can be derived from a pair of cables, speakers, amplifiers, or any component in a system must boil down to the experience and not solely on a set of measurements. At least with the Acoustic ART System you have a very easy to set up experiment and the proof is in the pudding. Because the system is easy to set up and its benefits are so plainly demonstrable, we offer a no risk audition through our dealers (as we do with all Synergistic Research products) for anyone wanting to experience the Acoustic ART System first hand.

As for people who do not trust their ears, or who selectively choose to apply any benefits to a placebo effect with some components, and not others, they are entitled to their opinion. I build products for people who wish to improve the performance of their systems with any decision to buy, or not to buy, based on the experience of my product through a no pressure, live in-home audition . To me, this seems the most relaxed and meaningful way to assess any audio component.

Some of you will understand my point of view, others will not.

Yours in music,
Ted Denney Lead Designer Synergistic Research Inc

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #90 on: 13 Nov 2008, 12:16 am »
Ted claims that the Acoustic ART System does the same thing as treating a room with conventional acoustic materials.

Scotty and satfrat,
The Acoustic ART System deals with acoustics in a way that is very different from conventional room treatments. I did not state nor do I mean to imply that they are the same- far from it. A system that is treated with traditional acoustic dampening sounds darker and its imaging is contained in and around the speakers far more then a room that is left relatively "live" and treated with the Acoustic ART System. Where as the former sounds like a very nice hi-fi, the later sounds more holographic, more you-are-there. The problem with measurements are two fold- one it reduces the experience to the abstract (though some would argue the opposite) and two it gets away from the experience. As far as I am concerned, if you cannot trust your own ears then why bother? For example, if one set of measurements shows one outcome while another set of measurements shows another, then the decision as to which approach is best is based more on how a person values one set of measurements, and less about the actual experience. At the end of the day any benefit that can be derived from a pair of cables, speakers, amplifiers, or any component in a system must boil down to the experience and not a set of measurements. At least with the Acoustic ART System you have a very easy to set up experiment and the proof is in the pudding. Because the system is very easy to set up and its benefits are so plainly demonstrable, we offer a no risk audition through our dealers for anyone wanting to experience the Acoustic ART System first hand.

As for people who do not trust their ears, or who selectively choose to apply any benefits to a placebo effect with some components, and not others, they are entitled to their opinion- I build products for people who wish to improve the performance of their systems with any decision to buy, or not to buy, based on the experience of my product in their system.

Some of you will understand my point of view, others will not.

Yours in music,
Ted Denney Lead Designer Synergistic Research Inc

Thanks Ted for taking the time to explain your company's stance on product testing and what one can expect to derive from Acoustic ART System. I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to personally experience your Acoustic ART System but then again that holds true for many many audio offerings that are out there today. :roll: :(

Good luck with the Acoustic ART System and I hope to be reading some upcoming reviews that I'm sure will be coming in the near future.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Vinyl-Addict

• Groovetracer - Products for Rega turntables.
« Reply #91 on: 13 Nov 2008, 12:43 am »
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/francktchang/resonators.html
http://www.puremusicgroup.com/cart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=93
http://www.synergisticresearch.com/?p=195

I did not realize there were 2 other competitors in this area, although I did read a lengthy review of Dr. Tchang's product last year.
Are there any other companies making similar products? Shakti made the hallographs which are of similar ilk, any others?

Ted_D

« Reply #92 on: 13 Nov 2008, 12:57 am »
Ted_D, have you tried the Tchang/Acoustic Systems devices at any point during your quest?

And if so, what was their effects?

Imperial

Imperial,
First let me say that I like Mr. Tsahng and his acoustic resonator products very much. I feel that both Mr. Tsahng's product and my own offer unique benefits not found in more conventional room treatments and that it is up to end user to assess which system best meets their needs. In the case of the Acoustic System resonators, they are much smaller then the Acoustic ART System, and when absolute stealth is desired, you can't beat the Acoustic System resonators. That said, I would not have released my system if I did not believe it offered significant advantages in absolute performance, ease of set up, and value. I urge anyone who is interested to investigate the comparative merits of these two systems.

Yours in music,
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2008, 03:54 am by Ted_D »

nathanm

« Reply #93 on: 13 Nov 2008, 01:03 am »
Are there any other companies making similar products?

Yes, they can often be found in rural areas.  They are very large and stand on four legs.  They use large amounts of grass and grains to produce a highly competitive product.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #94 on: 13 Nov 2008, 01:08 am »
Are there any other companies making similar products?

Yes, they can often be found in rural areas.  They are very large and stand on four legs.  They use large amounts of grass and grains to produce a highly competitive product.

Is that  "competive product" simular to what you're spewing Nathan? :o Are you also doing large amounts of grass and soluble grains that can account  for such a post? :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

sts9fan

« Reply #95 on: 13 Nov 2008, 01:30 am »
Scotty and satfrat,
The Acoustic ART System deals with acoustics in a way that is very different from conventional room treatments. I did not state nor do I mean to imply that they are the same- far from it. A system treated with traditional acoustic dampening sounds darker and its imaging is contained in and around its speakers far more then the room that is left relatively "live" and treated with the Acoustic ART System. Where as the former sounds like a very nice hi-fi, the later sounds more holographic, more you-are-there.

The problem with measurements are two fold- one they reduce the experience to the abstract (though some would argue the opposite) and two they get away from the experience. As far as I am concerned, if you do not trust your ears then why bother? For example, if one set of measurements shows one outcome while another set of measurements shows another, then the decision as to which approach is best is based more on how a person values one set of measurements, and less about the actual experience. At the end of the day any benefit that can be derived from a pair of cables, speakers, amplifiers, or any component in a system must boil down to the experience and not solely on a set of measurements. At least with the Acoustic ART System you have a very easy to set up experiment and the proof is in the pudding. Because the system is easy to set up and its benefits are so plainly demonstrable, we offer a no risk audition through our dealers (as we do with all Synergistic Research products) for anyone wanting to experience the Acoustic ART System first hand.

As for people who do not trust their ears, or who selectively choose to apply any benefits to a placebo effect with some components, and not others, they are entitled to their opinion. I build products for people who wish to improve the performance of their systems with any decision to buy, or not to buy, based on the experience of my product through a no pressure, live in-home audition . To me, this seems the most relaxed and meaningful way to assess any audio component.

So you are doing exactly as I stated before.

Step 1) tell people that measurements are crap and that they lessen the musical experience. ( FWIW I enjoy the technical side also.  Not as even close to as much as the music but its the nerd in me)

Step 2) Send units out cheaply (due to size) for in home auditions.  Allowing for the suggestive nature of the product to take place.

Step 3A) Take product back because some bold person trusted their ears

Step3B) Profit!!!

Honestly its a great business model.
Question:  If this product is as revolutionary as you say and people like myself WILL be swayed I would assume that they will sell like hotcakes.  Is it safe to say that you will be lowering prices?  At one third the current cost 1000 units will gross a cool million.  I am sure you did not spend that much in R&D.  The production of those things cannot cost barely anything.  Selling 2-3K units of a nice looking (I do think they are cool looking) easy to place acoustic treatment should be easy as pie.  WAF be damned.   

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #96 on: 13 Nov 2008, 02:09 am »
One of the more memorable experiences I walked away from during the 08' RMAF is joining Darren Censullo to do some last night (post midnight) re-tuning of the room.

He should have done some more of this at RMAF '07 because I thought his was one of the worst sounding rooms at the show. I'm positive moving the speakers or enlisting the help of a company like GIK would have produced improvements noticeable to all.  I didn't bother to visit his room this year so I can't comment on it.

Lin

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #97 on: 13 Nov 2008, 02:10 am »
Until you hear a room correction system based on acoustic resonator principals don't assume it cannot work. Assume it most probably will not work if you will, but until you experience room correction based on acoustic resonators, any black-and-white statements regarding their effectiveness, or lack-there-of, are opinion- not fact. I have heard the Acoustic ART System and it works as described. In fact I have not only listened to a room treated with the Acoustic ART System, I am also its designer.

Yours in music,
Ted Denney III Lead Designer Synergistic Research Inc.

PS. If you live in the Southern California area, or plan to vist and would like to hear a system treated with the Acoustic ART System, contact me at the Synergistic Research factory. I'll arrange for a factory tour and a full demonstration.

Hi Ted,

I'm in the Southern California area. I'd be more than happy to barbecue a fine tri-tip dinner for you and yours if you brought a set of these over to my house and set them up. I'll treat with a great dinner and cold beverages of your choice. We could listen to some tunes with and without the ART system in place. I'll even let you pick the songs and volume level. Hell, I'll even let you move furniture, if you're so inclined.

Following such a fine evening of food and audio, I'll come post my impressions.  :thumb:

Is it a deal?  :dunno:

Thanks for the consideration,
Jerry

Ted_D

« Reply #98 on: 13 Nov 2008, 02:35 am »
Question:  If this product is as revolutionary as you say and people like myself WILL be swayed I would assume that they will sell like hotcakes.  Is it safe to say that you will be lowering prices?  At one third the current cost 1000 units will gross a cool million.  I am sure you did not spend that much in R&D.  The production of those things cannot cost barely anything.  Selling 2-3K units of a nice looking (I do think they are cool looking) easy to place acoustic treatment should be easy as pie.  WAF be damned.   

sts9fan,
I honestly think you would be surprised by their performance (especially their ability to control low frequency response) and after reading through some of your posts in other threads, I believe you would be objective and fair in your evaluation. Who knows, you might even have fun and I'm sure your appraisal would raise more then a few eyebrows here on AudioCircle. As to their cost to manufacture and develop, it is much higher then you think, while the market for such a product is smaller then you might imagine. The funny thing is, the Acoustic ART System is at least 1/3rd to 1/4th the price of the competing product in the acoustic resonator arena.

JerryM,
I sent you a PM.

Yours in music,
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2008, 03:52 am by Ted_D »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #99 on: 13 Nov 2008, 03:07 am »

JerryM,
I sent you a PM.

Yours in music,

Ted,

Thank you kindly. I have sent you one as well.

Thanks again,
Jerry