Would you pay 3k for this?

sts9fan

Re: Would you pay 3k for this?
« Reply #60 on: 12 Nov 2008, 07:56 pm »
I believe in the placebo effect.  It doesn't mean improvements to my system don't exist.

Of course it doesn't.  I never claimed that and I would not be in this hobby if I thought that was true.  This is not black and white.  I run a Class A JFet amp because I think it sounds different.   You sometimes just need to think with "mental error bars" if you will. 

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #61 on: 12 Nov 2008, 07:59 pm »
Ted_D, have you tried the Tchang/Acoustic Systems devices at any point during your quest?

And if so, what was their effects?

Imperial

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #62 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:21 pm »
I deal with the placebo effect everyday.  I have read reports(real scientific clinical reports) of people in wheelchairs walking due to treatment and when they are examined there has been no clinical change.
 I will continue harping on the placebo effect until one of you that uses these things admits that EVEN if these things do work you are subject to the placebo effect.  It just blows my mind that all audiophiles think they are immune to a scientifically PROVEN phenomena.  To steal from Richard Dawkins, I am a resonator tooth fairy agnostic.  I believe in the resonator as much as I believe in the tooth fairy.  I also believe that the tooth fairy is nearly impossible to disprove.

If you are taking Dawkin's views, a biologically applied British Empiricism, then anything you can't fit into your paradigm would be lumped together into "placebo" effect.  I am open to new possibilities although, like you, I am very skeptical about this resonator.   :dunno:

nathanm

Non-stop credulity
« Reply #63 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:34 pm »
Is there anything that DOESN'T affect the performance of a stereo?

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Non-stop credulity
« Reply #64 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:36 pm »
ya - a fone call from geoff kait, that he hasn't made to you...   :green:

doug s.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #65 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:37 pm »

A poweroutage

Imperial

sts9fan

« Reply #66 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:42 pm »
If you are taking Dawkin's views, a biologically applied British Empiricism, then anything you can't fit into your paradigm would be lumped together into "placebo" effect.  I am open to new possibilities although, like you, I am very skeptical about this resonator.  

I am not sure what you think my paradigm is.  The thing is acoustics are VERY measurable. I would say that I need empirical evidence but like I said I try to use error bars.  If I only slightly think the sound has changed then I am skeptical if there was infact a change.    
I would say that there is nothing wrong with waiting for proof.  I am not lumping although I think the placebo effect has made people millions in audio.

nathanm

« Reply #67 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:45 pm »

doug s.
Doug, stop being so cynical!  Have you even TRIED not getting a phone call from Geoff Kait?  No?  Well then you can't very well say it doesn't work then can you? I think reasonable people will just have to keep an open mind and reserve judgement until then.  It seems entirely plausible to me.

sts9fan

« Reply #68 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:46 pm »
or at least nearly impossible to prove he did not do something!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #69 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:47 pm »
How much you spend on it........ok well, sometimes.

Zero

« Reply #70 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:48 pm »
One of the more memorable experiences I walked away from during the 08' RMAF is joining Darren Censullo to do some last night (post midnight) re-tuning of the room. Without altering the electronics one iota, we were able to make dramatic changes to the systems sound -  just by adding/subtracting/moving those little Acoustic System Resonators.  No placebo effects here.  With just a quick change, one could extend the highs, or dampen the highs a bit - tighten the bass, or loosen it. No, we aren't talking alterations of monumental proportions (per change)...  but the combined influence these devices had over the sound was very real, obvious, and beneficial.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #71 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:55 pm »

doug s.
Doug, stop being so cynical!  Have you even TRIED not getting a phone call from Geoff Kait?  No?  Well then you can't very well say it doesn't work then can you? I think reasonable people will just have to keep an open mind and reserve judgement until then.  It seems entirely plausible to me.
yes, nate, i have tried not getting a fone call from geoff  in fact, i intend to keep it that way!  and yes - not getting a call from geoff has no effect whatsoever on  the sound of my rig!  (which, i suspect, is about the same effect i'd get if he did call me...   :green: )

doug s.

miklorsmith

« Reply #72 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:58 pm »
On error bars, ALL the guys at audioholics would tell you you're an idiot for thinking amps sound different.  We all put our error bars in different places.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #73 on: 12 Nov 2008, 09:08 pm »
On error bars, ALL the guys at audioholics would tell you you're an idiot for thinking amps sound different.  We all put our error bars in different places.
at least, w/amps, their (making speakers) sounding different does not defy the laws of physics... 

doug s.

miklorsmith

« Reply #74 on: 12 Nov 2008, 09:10 pm »
The AH guys would say it does.  They'll cite double blind testing and specifications and out-argue you till the cows come home.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #75 on: 12 Nov 2008, 09:19 pm »
The AH guys would say it does.  They'll cite double blind testing and specifications and out-argue you till the cows come home.
let 'em.  there's scientific physical proof that amps will react differently under loading w/speakers in the real world.

doug s.

miklorsmith

« Reply #76 on: 12 Nov 2008, 09:21 pm »
I vote you do just that and come back here afterward to tell us all how it went.   :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #77 on: 12 Nov 2008, 09:27 pm »
No placebo effects here.

Zero?(pun)  Are you sure?  How do you know?

Everyone knows those guys are stupid :thumb:

I love being hypocritical!!!!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #78 on: 12 Nov 2008, 09:29 pm »
I vote you do just that and come back here afterward to tell us all how it went.   :thumb:
i am not the techno-nerd.  but, i can read when others do it!   :lol:

doug s.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #79 on: 12 Nov 2008, 09:33 pm »

I love being hypocritical!!!!

I suppose that's 1 word you could use to decribe your posts,,,,,,, :lol:

Cheers,
Robin