Would you pay 3k for this?

Vinyl-Addict

• Groovetracer - Products for Rega turntables.
Re: Would you pay 3k for this?
« Reply #300 on: 23 Jan 2009, 01:52 am »
Can someone change the thread title to: "Would you believe 15 pages talking about this?"

L.O.L. It is too bad that the member who said he was going to get an in home demo disappeared from this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Ted was going to post measurements after the show. It could have been mentioned on this thread or on another forum but I know it was said. The thread on the other forum actually had more responses than this one but died without ever really coming to any sort of conclusion at all. I'm still open to these devices doing something in the listening room but I have to rule out placebo.

drab

« Reply #301 on: 23 Jan 2009, 02:06 am »
Just saw these things online. Apparently they improve the frequency response of headphones while riding a motorcycle.  :wink:

Canoa70

« Reply #302 on: 9 Mar 2009, 05:47 pm »
Hi,

I'm new here and i don't know about this ART system but i use Acoustic System's resonators with great results as an add-on to my convencional acoustic treatment, but those of you that don't believe in them is very simple just don't buy them.

Brown

« Reply #303 on: 9 Mar 2009, 06:16 pm »
Hey not ALL is HYPE. Why not give the benifit of doubt before slamming it. Until one has auditioned this or ANYTHING out there in THEIR system its just not fair. Airborne resonance as the Buddists reconized years ago in their temples while chanting can be alterd for the good. Pricing can be issue as it always is.
   So until one has tried your opinions are just that opinions. Nice to have one but IMO should be an educated opinon from experience.
   Now to answer the question NO I would not pat 3K for this. Then again who am I to decide someones pricing. I was wrong with the Squeezebox at $6000, my comments were out of line and I now realize that. Good luck with the product. Synergestic has always had a good product wether we like the pricing or not. OK I feel better now. 

Excuse the spelling

nathanm

« Reply #304 on: 9 Mar 2009, 06:35 pm »
Damn, someone buried this thread in a pet sematary.

mmakshak

« Reply #305 on: 16 Apr 2009, 07:14 am »
One of the problems with the traditional acoustic approaches is that many audiophiles can't use them due to their partner and/or kids.  There is a real need to have some acoustic solutions that don't require extensive remodelling.  Even Ethan has seen this with his planters.  Now, I understand that people's livelihoods are at stake here.  All I can advise is to start working on WAF acoustics!  For the measurement people, I want to know what measurements account for the change in sound that Tibetan bowls have on an audio system(Was it the reverberation time?), because they do change the sound.  There also seems to be a separation of sounds going on.  What measurement would descrbe that(due to the bowl's ringing?)?  I had to move and dampen some of these bowls to appeciate this separation.  Why is there a subjective effect in the bass in the Art system and 8th Nerve products(and in my case, Cathedral Sound Panels also).  Based on the prevailing wisdom, this shouldn't happen.  Note:  I also have ASC tube traps in use.  Maybe we can get subjectively decent bass without trapping the lowest of frequencies?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #306 on: 22 Mar 2010, 03:44 pm »
I talked to Ted.  He took the time to look in my gallery and saw my room.  Then he made some comments about my deployment of the traditional room treatments.  We talked about his stuff and how he discovered it.  We talked about the cheapskates who won't even give it a try.  :wink: Then we chatted about his Tesla cable thing and other stuff....  One thing I will say, Ted is not afraid of you trying his resonator before you buy it.  :thumb:

Ted told me I can audition a full set for the cost of shipping.  I left a message at the dealer to audition a set.  I will give it a fair shake and compare it to my $3k+ traditional stuff.  Doug, you can come listen when and if I do get the full Acoustic ART sytem in the room.   
hi rim,

what ever happened w/your proposed audition of these?  i am still willing to chip in for return shipping costs...

best,

doug s.

JackD201

« Reply #307 on: 22 Mar 2010, 03:57 pm »
A fellow dealer demo'ed these for me when I paid a visit to his slightly overdamped but nonetheless good showroom. Speakers were Eggleston and amps were VTL MBs.

First off, they do change the sound of the listening environment despite their tiny size. So the good news is that they actually make a difference.

The bad news is that they either made the sound better or worse on a track to track basis from even the same CD. I think the benefits are too small to justify the hassle of getting up every 5 or ten minutes to set them up or remove them.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #308 on: 22 Mar 2010, 05:37 pm »
hi rim,

what ever happened w/your proposed audition of these?  i am still willing to chip in for return shipping costs...

best,

doug s.

I kind a let things slip through as I had doubts about such small things effecting large waves.   I kept envisioning throwing a small pebble into the sea and seeing no changes to the waves crashing in.  :dunno:

I actually had a chance to hear them at http://www.commandav.com/ yesterday.  Jeff didn't pull them off for me to compare but he says there is some kind of filtering to the sound.  Whatever the filtering is, it wasn't the kind that would overcome speaker placement in the room.  A pair of speakers we were listening to sounded bloated with bass guitars  booming ( in 40~100Hz range I would guess) a little when the speakers were pulled closer together to approximate a distance for the primary auditioner of the speakers.  When we put the speakers back out to the optimum place as marked on Jeff's room, the bloat disappeared and bass balanced out.  All of this took place with the resonators in place.

My take on this is that fundamental acoustics of a room is not going to be changed by this thing.  It may enhance some subtle sounds but conventional stuff will have to be used to flatten any room modes that are inherent due to the room shape and build.  I will see if I can audition it in my room.  FYI, Jeff at Commandav certainly has treated the room with a lot of absorption and diffusion as well as putting in a mechanically damped floor.