Bybee were to put

Dan Banquer

Re: Bybee were to put
« Reply #60 on: 30 Mar 2007, 04:29 pm »
Sorry, I didn't see Mike's data.  So, it's basically a very expensive sham.  I do note that others here on the board say that bybees work well, so those links just posted were for reference only.  Now, I think that with many things like this, one could be convinced to hear something that's not actually there.  But under the proper conditions (two modified SBs, one with bybee and one without, and the ability to switch between the two), I think one could verify the analytic tests with subjective tests.  If the subjective tests are different, then one would have to ascertain why. 
I agree Bob.
         d.b.

tomjtx

« Reply #61 on: 30 Mar 2007, 04:56 pm »
What a great thread this is.
It's refreshing to see a no nonsense approach to evaluating a controversial product.

sts9fan

« Reply #62 on: 30 Mar 2007, 05:33 pm »
so what's the diifence between the gold, silver or copper ones?

Steve

« Reply #63 on: 30 Mar 2007, 05:43 pm »
I am taking no sides, but shouldn't we at least know what it is before we form a lynch mob? As DB mentioned earlier, his testing is "basic".

We haven't even established what it is made of. Is it just a resistor, a combination of rare earth metal oxides in a ceramic form, or something else? If rare earth materials are used, how are you going to identify those materials?

"He says it is nothing more than an extremely low ohm resistor of very high quality
used in the medical and aerospace industries. He priced the resistors out at 50 cents to one dollar depending on which type."

I wonder how it is a high quality resistor if it only costs 50 cents? My last dealings with high quality power, 25 watt, resistors, cost me many dollars. One can purchase a cheap power resistor for a 50 cents.

Before we lynch and asassinate someone's character, shouldn't we have some firm, definite, reliable info?

ps. I don't own, and have not auditioned any Bybee's.

« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2007, 09:47 pm by Steve »

Dan Banquer

« Reply #64 on: 30 Mar 2007, 05:44 pm »
You may well have just answered your own question sts9fan, but if anyone wants to send me "different versions" I will be happy to measure them.
              d.b.

Dan Banquer

« Reply #65 on: 30 Mar 2007, 05:48 pm »
I am taking no sides, but shouldn't we at least know what it is before we form a lynch mob? As DB mentioned earlier, his testing is "basic".

We haven't even established what it is made of. Is it just a resistor, a combination of rare earth metal oxides in a ceramic form, or something else? If rare earth materials are used, how are you going to identify those materials?

"He says it is nothing more than an extremely low ohm resistor of very high quality
used in the medical and aerospace industries. He priced the resistors out at 50 cents to one dollar depending on which type."

I wonder how it is a high quality resistor if it only costs 50 cents? My last dealings with high quality power, 25 watt, resistors, cost me many dollars. One can purchase a cheap power resistor for a 50 cents.

Before we lynch and asassinate someone's character, shouldn't we have some firm,  definite, reliable info?

Anytime anyone has some real data to post on this please feel free to do so. The data I have taken clearly speaks for it self.
                 d.b.

ctviggen

« Reply #66 on: 30 Mar 2007, 06:54 pm »
Well, I was thinking of having Bybees installed in my SB, but I would only have one SB to use for a test, which wouldn't be a valid test.  For my tests, I use the same interconnects and try to keep everything the same (balancing levels, etc.), but even with that, I find I have to switch back and forth between products quite a bit.  For instance, in comparing the analog output of my modified SB with the digital output of the SB to an Ack Dack, I used two sets of the same analog interconnects.  I had to switch back and forth many times before reaching the conclusion that the analog out of the SB was better. 

One reason I'm not a big believer in power cords, for instance, is because I've put in power cords and haven't heard a difference before and after.  Or, if there was a difference, I couldn't tell whether I was convincing myself or not of the difference or heck even if I heard a difference.  Again, if I had two identical chains of equipment where I could change one thing -- a power cord -- in only one of the chains, I could ascertain whether or not the cord really makes a difference.  Until then, I'm not entirely convinced one way or the other -- did I hear a difference or was that imagined, and how could I even remember from one minute to another whether there's a difference?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #67 on: 30 Mar 2007, 07:25 pm »
Bob,

I have Bolder analog modded unit with silver bybees on the analog out.  If you have Wayne's mod, I can send you mine for you to do a direct comp.

I have used Bybees but I am fully opened to accept the fact that it's nothing more than a placebo gadget.  Let's see if we can hear the difference in a blind test.

Steve

« Reply #68 on: 30 Mar 2007, 09:51 pm »
Hi Db,

"We haven't even established what it is made of."

I was refering to the materials actually used in construction, not your very basic measurements.

Steve

Before we lynch and asassinate someone's character, shouldn't we have some firm,  definite, reliable info?

Anytime anyone has some real data to post on this please feel free to do so. The data I have taken clearly speaks for it self.
                 d.b.

JoshK

« Reply #69 on: 30 Mar 2007, 10:17 pm »
Bob,

I have Bolder analog modded unit with silver bybees on the analog out.  If you have Wayne's mod, I can send you mine for you to do a direct comp.

I have used Bybees but I am fully opened to accept the fact that it's nothing more than a placebo gadget.  Let's see if we can hear the difference in a blind test.

As I see it, it could very well not be a simple placebo affect, but a 'real' affect.  However, understanding what that affect might be, maybe we can replicate it. If we can replicate it, then hopefully we can understand it, what the cause might be, etc.  In this case, if the wound wire duplicates the affect, then it would be a lot cheaper substitute than purchasing bybees.  It might also lead us to understand not only the treatment but the effect and maybe we can vacinate instead of treating the illness. 

Dan Banquer

« Reply #70 on: 30 Mar 2007, 10:40 pm »
Are you ready to build a few chokes Josh?
And Steve: what other measurements do you have in mind? Please be specific if possible.
               d.b.

serengetiplains

« Reply #71 on: 30 Mar 2007, 11:17 pm »
Guys, the resistor brand, in the Bybee I smashed at least, is Pacific, model 1711, 5% tolerance.  The resistor is brown, round, plastic cased, with large, probably nicely oxygenated copper leads. 

Dan Banquer

Re: ...
« Reply #72 on: 30 Mar 2007, 11:20 pm »
Guys, the resistor brand, in the Bybee I smashed at least, is Pacific, model 1711, 5% tolerance.  The resistor is brown, round, plastic cased, with large, probably nicely oxygenated copper leads. 
If possible, and if you have a digital camera available, could you post a picture?
I think some folks might find that rather educational.
                            d.b.

Steve

« Reply #73 on: 30 Mar 2007, 11:24 pm »
First off, identify what one has. That hasn't been done yet.

Do you have other instruments other than a simple voltmeter, LRC meter, and scope? The next question is if it is quantum mechanics, are you going to be able to measure everything? If go, great.

So far, I haven't seen you condemn the Bybee, but others already have, which is what I have been concerned with. Are you changing your position?

Is the resistor the only element in the Bybee?

And Steve: what other measurements do you have in mind? Please be specific if possible.
               d.b.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2007, 12:05 am by Steve »

Dan Banquer

« Reply #74 on: 30 Mar 2007, 11:49 pm »

Do you have other instruments other than a simple voltmeter, LRC meter, and scope? The next question is if it is quantum mechanics, are you going to be able to measure everything? If go, great.

So far, I haven't seen you condemn the Bybee, but others already have, which is what I have been concerned with. Are you changing your positioin?

d.b.

Steve: The resistor is not the only element as the measurement showed,  an inductive element and what appears to be a capacitive element that you will note at 100 KHz. Note the inductance is decreasing, probably due to capacitance between the wirewound resistor windings, also note the small change in resistance.
Now if you could please tell us how Quantum Mechanics effects any electrical measurement I think many of us would be very interested.
                      d.b.

Steve

« Reply #75 on: 31 Mar 2007, 12:15 am »
Dan, don't try sucking me into a discussion or argument. I posted/suggested that one needs to identify what is in a Bybee before forming a lynch mob. You seemed open minded, but now you appear to have shifted your position quite drastically. Do you have a photo of the bybee exposed?

Is there anything else, physically, besides the resistance, inductance, and capacitance inside the device? Any other materials, or just the resistor. If just the resistor, I would agree with you; something appears wrong. If there is more, I would suggest to do an analysis of those materials.

Does anyone really want to demonize someone before you do an exhaustive analysis?? You are messing with someones life and reputation here.

ps. Has anyone thought about asking/emailing Dr. Bybee himself what he has in those filters?? It would be nice to get his explanation.

So far, I haven't seen you condemn the Bybee, but others already have, which is what I have been concerned with. Are you changing your positioin?

d.b.

Steve: The resistor is not the only element as the measurement showed,  an inductive element and what appears to be a capacitive element that you will note at 100 KHz. Note the inductance is decreasing, probably due to capacitance between the wirewound resistor windings, also note the small change in resistance.
Now if you could please tell us how Quantum Mechanics effects any electrical measurement I think many of us would be very interested.
                      d.b.

« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2007, 11:03 am by Steve »

Dan Banquer

« Reply #76 on: 31 Mar 2007, 12:38 am »
Now Steve; I'm just trying to understand something here. If quantum mechanics play a role in any electrical measurement then please inform us as to how this happens, and what electrical measurement we should do.
I'm not into lynch mobs, I was sent this unit for test, and as far as I can tell this is a wire wound resistor. So simple me concludes that if it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it must be a duck. Now I realize that this is high end audio we are talking about so it's really not a duck it's a quantum visualization of a duck. :wink:
           d.b.

Steve

« Reply #77 on: 31 Mar 2007, 12:58 am »
Dan, the premise of my previous comments was that there was more than a simple resistor involved, other materials. Afterall, that was what at least one previous comment suggested to which I originally responded too. I would try contacting Dr. Bybee for his explanation. And please don't try skewing my comments as you tried that kind of tatic before, which I can readily prove beyond a doubt.

So goodbye.
Steve

Now Steve; I'm just trying to understand something here. If quantum mechanics play a role in any electrical measurement then please inform us as to how this happens, and what electrical measurement we should do.
I'm not into lynch mobs, I was sent this unit for test, and as far as I can tell this is a wire wound resistor. So simple me concludes that if it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it must be a duck. Now I realize that this is high end audio we are talking about so it's really not a duck it's a quantum visualization of a duck. :wink:
           d.b.

« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2007, 11:11 am by Steve »

yo2tup

« Reply #78 on: 31 Mar 2007, 01:12 am »
So simple me concludes that if it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it must be a duck.

Does it sound like a duck, did you try it out in your system?  :D

andy_c

« Reply #79 on: 31 Mar 2007, 01:13 am »
Large Bybees are:

a 25W 0.025 ohm resistor

encased in a ceramic tube

wrapped in ERS paper

wrapped in plastic

sealed with copper end tubes.

They measure like a resistor and are a resistor.

I found the Pacific Resistor Co. web site here, but I could not find the model 1711.  The only type of resistors with a 25W rating that I can see are some chassis mount units that can be found here and here.  There are some conventional leaded ones here with ratings up to 17W.  Do the ones in that last link look anything like what you saw when you took yours apart?  I gather they are not chassis mount types as these would not be easy to encapsulate.