Bybee were to put

jon_010101

Re: Bybee were to put
« Reply #20 on: 25 Mar 2007, 10:42 pm »
This does not belong on the LAB forum.

Bybee is a scam.

It is obvious when you read the description on the website.

"Quantum Slipstreem for Electrons"?

You don't have to be very intelligent to see it is a lie.

Obviously testing is not necessary.

The "inventor" should be in prison and the fact that he is not is the issue that needs attending to.

While clearly the description is total pseudo-science bunk, I'm willing to give Bybee the benefit of the doubt that they might provide some EMI protection.  If this is the case, they may actually serve a purpose, despite being tremendously expensive, and potentially less-exotic than advertised.  Unfortunately, I cannot justify buying one to non-destructively evaluate.  Someone with a spare Bybee, and access to a proper $30k Agilent RF LCR meter, should be able to confirm this.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2007, 01:15 am by jon_010101 »

Occam

« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2007, 11:17 pm »

The LAB forum is for intelligent discussion about technical/science subjects.

Moderator's Comment
But the discussion as to what constitutes proper content is MY call, not yours.
And frankly, I was quite pleased with the direction of this thread, till you showed up.
As a result of the discussion, someone is sending Dan Banquer a sample for measurements.
Technically oriented posters have opined that the Bybee's present an increasing impedance with increasing frequency, and in certain applications not a bad goal. Whether the price charged is reasonable is tangential to the discussion. You had an opportunity to suggest alternatives/equivalents (an appropriate ferrite surrounding a resistor), but rather, you find in necessary to 'talk trash'.

Rather than actually contribute to the discussion, you feel it your place to make pronouncements as to what is and is not an appropriate subject for discussion.

I, and the rest of Audio Circle doesn't need your inflammatory posts.  I'm generally recalcitrant to move posts to the IGWB, but any more this and I'll make an exception.

Scott F.

« Reply #22 on: 25 Mar 2007, 11:31 pm »
I'll add my two cents about Bybee's FWIW.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they do something to the sound. I don't have a clue how they measure and to be honest, I could care less. One thing I do know is for the cost of two of these, it is well on par with an average pair of (say) interconnects. I'm here to tell you, the Bybee's will have far and away, more effect on the sound than your interconnects ever will. Personally, I don't think they are over priced when you start comparing them to some of the other things we spend our money on. It's all price to benefit ratio.

Love or hate 'em. They do something.

Steve

« Reply #23 on: 25 Mar 2007, 11:40 pm »
I don't see it now, but I thought I read that the Bybees were used in Radar systems in  subs, and dealt with Cooper pairs. Is this true? Does anyone have a more complete picture?

Thanks.

captain

« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2007, 12:01 am »
My system is based around FM tuners I listen to tuners day in and day out. One tuner I have is a heavily modified Dynaco FM-3. I did use the Dynaco with a power transformer producing clean power; there is some noise but more so when not used. Put a pair of Bybees on the AC in on the Dynaco without the transformer the tuner is dead quite. The power supply cost me the best part of a $1000 the Bybees cost me just over $150 go figure. Whatever results you get by pulling them apart is not going to change the fact, that in this application they work and very well.

WEEZ

« Reply #25 on: 26 Mar 2007, 12:06 am »
I will admit to not understanding HOW they work; but they appear to WORK. It seems that 'filtering' noise that would "seem" to be outside the range of hearing (or so we think) has an effect on the range we DO hear. When Wayne changed his power conditioner over to Bybee's @ RMAF last Oct.; the improvement in noise reduction and bass definition coming out of the system was profound. Not at all subtle.

Hell if I know how they work. I would like to hear an independent opinion from anyone willing to test and verify if I was just 'hearing' things...or not, as it were.. :scratch:

WEEZ

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #26 on: 26 Mar 2007, 12:18 am »
I don't see it now, but I thought I read that the Bybees were used in Radar systems in  subs, and dealt with Cooper pairs. Is this true? Does anyone have a more complete picture?

I do not know the whole picture but Jack Bybee did work in Quantum Physics for the Military. Any other Quantum Physicists here?

As everyone who knows me knows I will not get involved with debates THEY SOLVE NOTHING, NEVER HAVE.... I will say I have used a countless number of Bybees in countless applications and I for one will continue using them in personal gear.

I also offer them in almost all of my products and modifications. I never "push" them rather ask people to do their own research and make their own decisions.

If someone out there comes up with a less expensive alternative that provides the same results, let me know and I would be more than willing to give it a try.

Scott F.

« Reply #27 on: 26 Mar 2007, 12:18 am »
I don't see it now, but I thought I read that the Bybees were used in Radar systems in  subs, and dealt with Cooper pairs. Is this true? Does anyone have a more complete picture?

Thanks.

Steve,

I don't see it on his website anymore either. Heres a link to Dick Olsher's article on the Bybee's where he talks about their development and a brief explanation of the science behind them.

Bybee Purifiers

eico1

« Reply #28 on: 26 Mar 2007, 12:23 am »

Thanks.

Here is a reference in some older literature. The recent official web site may have eliminated some of those wild claims, like reduction in 1/f or thermal noise, etc. and just use standard audiophile euphemisms.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/audiogon_pix/WEBPAGES/bybee_purifiers.htm

steve

JoshK

« Reply #29 on: 26 Mar 2007, 12:27 am »
we did a lot of listening to a bolder nitro digital cable w/ and w/o a bybee inline, this was an older bybee.  many commented much as i did that the bybee focused imaging razor sharp but also collapsed the soundstage.  this was again an older one in the digital spdif coax stream.  i owned a pair of nitro analog cables with them inline and compared them to many other analog cables but not the nitros w/o bybees, so the comparison wasn't as apples to apples.  i don't think i've ever heard an a/b with them in power. 

i agree that they do seem to do something, but i am not sure what or how.  i just think they are expensive for what i heard them do.  if i heard them in a more effective application, i might change my mind, but i'd have to check my brain at the door.

Steve

« Reply #30 on: 26 Mar 2007, 12:46 am »
Thanks Scott. Much appreciated. Saw the link Eico provided and thanks as well. A good read.

Thanks.

tomjtx

« Reply #31 on: 26 Mar 2007, 03:35 am »
I don't see it now, but I thought I read that the Bybees were used in Radar systems in  subs, and dealt with Cooper pairs. Is this true? Does anyone have a more complete picture?

I do not know the whole picture but Jack Bybee did work in Quantum Physics for the Military. Any other Quantum Physicists here?

I don't remember the thread , but someone gave some credible sounding evidence that Bybee never worked for the military in quantum physics. It was a thread on the Slim forum.
There are several Quantum physicists on the slim forums. One is a prof at in a british university and some are profs here in the US. They all say Bybee's ideas are laughable nonsense, incoherent nonsense.

The Bybee's may well work but could probably be sold for a fraction of the cost.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #32 on: 26 Mar 2007, 04:16 am »
"The Bybee's may well work but could probably be sold for a fraction of the cost."

So could pretty much ever wire, cone, platform, rack, contact enhancer, etc.  That has nothing to do with whether they work or not or whether some consider what they do a worthwhile improvement.

Bryan

jon_010101

« Reply #33 on: 26 Mar 2007, 06:05 am »
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2007, 06:24 am by jon_010101 »

captain

« Reply #34 on: 26 Mar 2007, 12:23 pm »

sts9fan

« Reply #35 on: 26 Mar 2007, 12:47 pm »

That is no reason to trust some one.

I have never heard a Bybee so I will make no judgments BUT I don't find it very desirable to put any sort of filter, resistor or whatever in the signal chain.  They may be wonderful in power applications but I like my cables to have as little effect on the signal as possible.  Any of the cables in a system is a bad place to tweak the sound IMHO.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #36 on: 26 Mar 2007, 12:57 pm »
Agree, Bybees are controversial..... just like a jar of rocks, capacitors or any audiophile cable for that matter. That is why I posted the quote below in regard to the Bybees.

I never "push" them rather ask people to do their own research and make their own decisions.

Dan Banquer

« Reply #37 on: 26 Mar 2007, 01:14 pm »

The LAB forum is for intelligent discussion about technical/science subjects.

Moderator's Comment
But the discussion as to what constitutes proper content is MY call, not yours.
And frankly, I was quite pleased with the direction of this thread, till you showed up.
As a result of the discussion, someone is sending Dan Banquer a sample for measurements.
Technically oriented posters have opined that the Bybee's present an increasing impedance with increasing frequency, and in certain applications not a bad goal. Whether the price charged is reasonable is tangential to the discussion. You had an opportunity to suggest alternatives/equivalents (an appropriate ferrite surrounding a resistor), but rather, you find in necessary to 'talk trash'.

Rather than actually contribute to the discussion, you feel it your place to make pronouncements as to what is and is not an appropriate subject for discussion.

I, and the rest of Audio Circle doesn't need your inflammatory posts.  I'm generally recalcitrant to move posts to the IGWB, but any more this and I'll make an exception.

Yep; and when they go on the bench they will get a frequency response test out to 2 MHZ, at open circuit, into a standard 2 prong plug preamp, and into a 3 prong plug preamp that has a corcom filter at the AC input. I will also do some square wave testing to check for spiking. The preceding  should tell us a lot about the unit, and where the HF rejection is or is not. The frequency response testing will be in two forms, line to neutral and line to earth ground.
            d.b.

gooberdude

« Reply #38 on: 26 Mar 2007, 03:15 pm »
I'd like to hear more about the little Bybee's, looking forward to D.B's test.   The guy who builds my power strip likes to add Bybee's & at some point it might be an intersting tweak to pay for.   I've heard of folks using these in just about every application, but it seems like noone has blasted them in use with AC current.

if memory is correct, a few speaker builders now add them inside speakers...

Daryl

« Reply #39 on: 26 Mar 2007, 06:34 pm »
Occam what is the reason for your attacks?

You have heard enough from me to know I don't talk B.S. but am quit serious about the science if someone wants to talk science and not B.S.

The most you could say is that I have a short fuse with fakers/scammers.

Dan the claim behind the Bybees is that they reduce 1/f noise.

Once noise is mixed with the signal it cannot be removed so the only way it could work is by affecting the circuitry it is connected to on an atomic level and causing it to produce less 1/f noise.

People seem to be focused upon measuring it's E/I transfer function to see what type of filter effect it has.

Knowing it's E/I transfer function is nice but has nothing to do with what the device is supposed to do.

If it causes some sort of accidental benefit by creating a filter in the line it is used in and that filter happens to improve the transfer function of the system instead of skewing it that doesn't mean it is legitimate.

I mean if you bought motor for your boat and it did not turn and in fact none of them turn but you found it made an excellent boat anchor would you say you have no problem with it and that it is up to the individual to decide whether they want to pay that much for a boat anchor or would you say the companies claim to quality boat motors is a fraud?

The real test here is to connect it to various pieces of equipment and see if the low frequency noise floor is reduced.

But Bybe could have and would have to have done this himself to verify the product, but their is no measurement shown on the site which obviously is necessary due to the contraversial nature of the claim.

The fact that it is not there is proof enough.

Hearing is extremely impressionistic.

If you go looking to hear something you probably will whether it is there or not.

This has been proven repeatedly.

You can not say I listened to them and they make a difference.

This is fundamental.