Bybee were to put

captain

Bybee were to put
« on: 23 Mar 2007, 10:29 pm »
A be of it probably does not matter question, but just want to bubble check. I have a set of Bybee filters, just want to know if it make any difference putting them into the CD RCA outs or the Amps RCA in's for the CD player. Just that the CD player would be a bit of a harder job, although I can solder I like to keep it a simple as poss. If the CD player is the better option I would go ahead and do that. I already have a pair on the AC in so am not looking for this as a option.

Thanks

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Bybee were to put
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2007, 02:06 am »
IIRC the concept and purpose of the Bybees, put them at the end of the chain - the input end close to the amps.

Bryan

captain

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2007, 07:32 am »
Thanks that will make life easier

Viking53

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2007, 12:49 pm »
The concept and purpose of the Bybees is to generate vast amounts of revenue from the gullible!

Svend

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2007, 12:51 pm »
Now there's a useful first post  :roll:

Bryan

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2007, 12:58 pm »
I feel compelled to believe him.... ;)

[Edit: added a winkie... it's a joke...]
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2007, 01:28 pm by JohnR »

navi

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2007, 01:45 pm »
The concept and purpose of the Bybees is to generate vast amounts of revenue from the gullible!

Svend
I've  used Bybee Filters on my pre-amps signal output.
Bybees actually work. they are expensive....WAY over priced but they work. (Stillpoints ERS does the samething and it's only $20USD)

tomjtx

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2007, 03:46 pm »

Svend

I have an audio designer friend who has inspected the Bybee. He says it is nothing more than an extremely low ohm resistor of very high quality
used in the medical and aerospace industries.
He priced the resistors out at 50 cents to one dollar depending on which type.

He believes they can improve the sound when used properly. They could also be retailed at 20.00 and still make a huge profit.

In this sense the above quote makes a lot of sense.
Bybee appears to me to be unscrupulous in his business. His nonsensical, pseudo scientific marketing and outrageous pricing are offensive to me.

Maybe a smart business person will come along and retail a Bybee substitute at a reasonable price and put that charlatan out of business.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2007, 04:29 pm »
I am gullible.   :oops:

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2007, 04:34 pm »
this topic has been trodded over long and hard before.  still there are some that pay big bucks for the bybees, so i don't think the arguments change anyone's mind.   but i've been inclined to think that they were very nice low ohm resistors myself, but i was just guessing.  certainly it would be easy enough to test some of their electrical properties. 

tomjtx

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2007, 06:00 pm »
Bybee might have a good attorney telling him how far he can go in his marketing  :-)

In his literature at the bottom he gives a clue to the real nature of his product.
He lists the resistance at .025ohm.

Dan Banquer

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2007, 06:32 pm »
this topic has been trodded over long and hard before.  still there are some that pay big bucks for the bybees, so i don't think the arguments change anyone's mind.   but i've been inclined to think that they were very nice low ohm resistors myself, but i was just guessing.  certainly it would be easy enough to test some of their electrical properties. 
Yes it would be very easy to do a basic test on this unit. Anyone who wants to send one of these units to R.E. Designs for some basic bench test please contact me. There will be no charge for testing and I will post the results in the Lab forum on Audio Circle.
                        d.b.

ipy

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2007, 06:34 pm »
I am gullible.   :oops:

I 'm gullible & guilty as well  :oops:

captain

« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2007, 05:05 pm »
I'm just loaded and needed a bottomless pit to throw my money into. Thank you HiFi   aa.

ctviggen

« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2007, 05:14 pm »
I'm just not sure how to test this with any certainty.  You could certain test impedance (R, L, C) versus frequency.  But I would think you'd also have to do some careful double-blind tests of a system where bybees were placed into the system (and preferably where you'd switch back and forth between two configurations, one with bybees and one without).  Remember Paul's PDF he posted, where the engineers were willing to dismiss a test that indicated people disliked a system using an optical output, but they found that the optical rise time was not fast enough, even though everything tested fine. 

In other words, in order for testing to be persuasive, you'd have to ensure that the tests actually tested everything possible.  You could devise a test that indicated the devices didn't do anything, but many argue that bybees do something.  Are they wrong or would the tests be wrong? 

jon_010101

« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2007, 05:32 pm »
I haven't seen a Bybee, but from the descriptions they sound like low-value metal oxide resistors encased with a ferrite ring / bead.  If that's the truth, then they are probably effective at removing some RF and switching noises in the MHz range, while not appearing inductive.  A pretty clever/convenient way to package a known engineering solution.  I'm hoping someone can test one and verify this. 

JoshK

« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 2007, 05:49 pm »
I haven't seen a Bybee, but from the descriptions they sound like low-value metal oxide resistors encased with a ferrite ring / bead.  If that's the truth, then they are probably effective at removing some RF and switching noises in the MHz range, while not appearing inductive.  A pretty clever/convenient way to package a known engineering solution.  I'm hoping someone can test one and verify this. 

then one could use a magnet to see if it were magnetic. 

Gordy

« Reply #17 on: 25 Mar 2007, 06:00 pm »
My older style "large" bybee is non-magnetic... FWIW

jon_010101

« Reply #18 on: 25 Mar 2007, 09:11 pm »
Hmmm, the description on enjoythemusic.com: "The Purifier uses a combination of rare earth metal oxides in a ceramic form to absorb and dampen 1/f noise. The ceramic surrounds a low-value resistance (about 0.1 ohm)."

That sounds very much like some form of ferrite material.

Daryl

« Reply #19 on: 25 Mar 2007, 10:30 pm »
This does not belong on the LAB forum.

The LAB forum is for intelligent discussion about technical/science subjects.

Bybee is a scam.

It is obvious when you read the description on the website.

"Quantum Slipstream for Electrons"?

You don't have to be very intelligent to see it is a lie.

Obviously testing is not necessary.

The "inventor" should be in prison and the fact that he is not is the issue that needs attending to, not how well they work.