Bybee were to put

Occam

Re: Bybee were to put
« Reply #160 on: 3 Apr 2007, 02:29 pm »
Moderators Comment

Folks,

I've just returned from 5 days out of the country with (on purpose) no access to the internet. Its been lovely! I'll simply reprise my wish that this discussion be limited to actual measurements and discussions thereof....  Dan (the only one who has actually measured anything) has expressed similar wishes, and as he has been the one to do the heavy lifting, I'm going to split this thread into 2 threads, in the near future into this one, and one titled 'Philosophical and Conjectural Musings on the Bybee Purifiers', both in the Lab Circle.

I'll apologize ahead of time for my heavy handed pruning, but I want a thread that folks can read that discusses actual measurements and their analysis, without having to wade through 16+ pages. No doubt, I'll inevitably put some posts in the wrong thread. Sorry about that..... because of the flexibility of the thread splitting function, its easy to make mistakes, and very difficult to correct them.

Thanks for your understanding,
Paul

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #161 on: 3 Apr 2007, 02:34 pm »
So are all of you who don't believe that the Bybee is an effective electrical component willing to say outright and on the record that it is a total fraud or is it just another overpriced component appealing to gullible audiofools suffering from audionervosa?

Raj

Dan Banquer

« Reply #162 on: 3 Apr 2007, 02:44 pm »
Well, I'll put it this way: If you need a 0.025 ohm resistor, you can easily buy one, and if you need a 0.3 microhenry choke it would be pretty easy to wind one.
                  d.b.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #163 on: 3 Apr 2007, 02:52 pm »
Well, I'll put it this way: If you need a 0.025 ohm resistor, you can easily buy one, and if you need a 0.3 microhenry choke it would be pretty easy to wind one.
                  d.b.

Will this do the exact same thing in an audio circuit that the Bybee's claim to do? Would that be an alternative?

Can somebody try that? Sounds easy enough to do.

Cheers

Dan Banquer

« Reply #164 on: 3 Apr 2007, 02:58 pm »
                  d.b.

Will this do the exact same thing in an audio circuit that the Bybee's claim to do? Would that be an alternative?

Can somebody try that? Sounds easy enough to do.

Cheers

It's really up to you folks on whether you think this is worth experimenting with or not, and given the usual subjective spread of opinions, I just don't think one persons experiment will satisfy this group.
              d.b.

Occam

« Reply #165 on: 3 Apr 2007, 03:00 pm »
So are all of you who don't believe that the Bybee is an effective electrical component willing to say outright and on the record that it is a total fraud or is it just another overpriced component appealing to gullible audiofools suffering from audionervosa?

Raj

Raj,

That is exactly the sort of post that will be split into the new thread. It might well be a relevant question, but its really not relevant to a technical discussion. 'Value' is a subjective call, and each person's metrics are their own. How one can duplicate a components efficacy is germane to this thread though, and if it can be done easily by the DIY inclined, so much the better.

I don't want the words 'fraud' used anywhere in the Lab Circle, as it is a legal term, not technical  :?

Regards,
Paul

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #166 on: 3 Apr 2007, 03:05 pm »
Paul,

I agree it's a good idea to spit the thread. Sometimes I feel a little uneasy reading a thread that really bashes a company without having someone from that business there to defend their product. Fraud? That's what many are implying. Maybe you, as moderator, ought to notify the manufacturer that this public discussion is happening so he could defend himself if he chooses.

Raj

Steve

« Reply #167 on: 3 Apr 2007, 03:25 pm »
Hi Steve,

Well, the big 10 looses.  :(

Anyway, I agree with Occam that we make sure we don't accuse Bybee of fraud for legal reasons. Much of the criticism by some seems dangerously close to calling him an outright  fraud. I am taking the 2 experts you mentioned into account now, Steve. Thanks for the info.

I still think it is prudent to be cautious and not get over zealous with accusations.

Take care and have a nice day.
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2007, 03:47 pm by Steve »

floobydust

« Reply #168 on: 3 Apr 2007, 04:45 pm »
 While I'm a recent AudioCircle member, I've been involved in audio for more than 40 years and have designed and built lots of equipment over the decades and repaired and/or modified tons more. I've been following this thread for several days and will offer my own viewpoint on this.

As JC (AudioAsylum) has noted, the resistor is exotic in nature and apparently beyond the understanding of most mortals, so I'll simply consider it to be the closest thing to the perfect resistor and assume it appears as a 25 milliohm resistance at a bandwidth from DC to light. Going back to really old electrical laws and principles (I hope they still apply in 2007) anything you do to this prefect resistor, ie, doping with rare earth elements, wrapping in ceramics, black mystery coatings, etc., simply states that you have "something" in parallel with the 25 milliohm resistor. If this basic laws still hold true, you now have a resistance that could possibly change with frequency but in all cases can only be somewhat less than 25 milliohms.

As one of the most suggested beneficial uses of the device has been in AC power circuits, let's take a basic preamplifier as a test case. Said preamplifier draws a total of 15 watts. Using the same old electrical laws cited above, one can calculate that this preamplifier's power supply has an input impedance of 960 ohms. If you install the 25 milliohm resistor in series with the AC power input, you have a voltage ratio of 960/0.025 or 38400:1 and possibly higher due to the other stuff being in parallel with it. This represents an attentuation of voltage feeding the preamp of ~91.68 dB. I would (logically) think that any effect caused by the device has to be below this level. With most playback levels in the home being below 90dB can one really discern a sonic difference? Have I over-simplified this?

Regards, KM

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #169 on: 3 Apr 2007, 10:04 pm »
You ought to go over to Audio Asylum for this discussion. Those guys are really duking it out over there! :lol: :lol: :lol: