American Idol 2007.

PhilNYC

Re: American Idol 2007.
« Reply #200 on: 17 May 2007, 12:52 pm »
Lewis may be the hippest guy in the contest but he is no match for real show singers like Robbie Williams or even George Michael.

I actually far-preferred Blake's version of that Maroon 5 song over Maroon 5's actual performance on the show yesterday.

chrisby

« Reply #201 on: 17 May 2007, 05:09 pm »
Did I detect in Jordin's look of shock/dismay a recognition that she's already won?  Without knowing anything about her history, this coming week must be the most nerve wracking in her 17yrs - think she'll get any sleep?

Blake is quite a performer, certainly one of the most original and risk-taking in the history of the series, it's too bad his "instrument" is so weak.   Although I didn't particularly care for his style, I think Phil had a stronger voice - he just wasn't sure what to do with it.

As for the "kink" factor, too many of those performers start to believe their own image - just ask mr Michael about that!

I'd suspect that initially Blake & Jordin will post more iPod downloads, but over time Melinda will outsell all previous Idol winners combined.

What I'd love to see would be a live concert with Lakisha, Melinda, and Jennifer Hudson (maybe Aretha and  Diana Ross would be available for back-up)  :green:
« Last Edit: 17 May 2007, 05:24 pm by chrisby »

mcgsxr

« Reply #202 on: 17 May 2007, 06:12 pm »
I took Jordin's odd look to be utter dismay that she would not be pitted against Melinda.

Agree that Melinda has some exceptional appeal, and a fantastic depth of talent.

tomjtx

« Reply #203 on: 17 May 2007, 06:17 pm »
I think Jordin assumed melinda would win and Jordin would get second.
I think jordin realizes she is about 10 years behind Melinda.

Her look said to me: I don't deserve this , how could Melinda not be winning?

In the long run , it doesn't matter. They both will likely have stellar careers.

Blake has exceptional rythmic control and a truly creative approach. I think he will be very interesting musically once he is out from under the "need" to win.

Early B.

« Reply #204 on: 17 May 2007, 06:47 pm »
Let's face it -- the producers choose the winners, not the audience. Melinda didn't stand a chance of winning because she would be a "hard sell." She sings "grown folks music." The music market generally caters to young people (ages 13- 25). Jordin is a much better "fit" for that market. Blake is weak vocally.   

PhilNYC

« Reply #205 on: 17 May 2007, 06:56 pm »
Let's face it -- the producers choose the winners, not the audience. Melinda didn't stand a chance of winning because she would be a "hard sell." She sings "grown folks music." The music market generally caters to young people (ages 13- 25). Jordin is a much better "fit" for that market. Blake is weak vocally.   

I disagree, because if that was true, Taylor Hicks would never have won....he was vocally weak, and grey-haired...not really the most easily marketed music act these days.

I do agree with other comments that this is more about charisma than it is vocal talent.  Also, Blake and Jordin choose more songs that are recognizable to the audience, so people probably enjoy listening to them more.  Melinda is more a soul and blues singer, and certainly those genres are not the most popular these days...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #206 on: 17 May 2007, 07:57 pm »
As good as Melinda is, the audience for this show is probably teens through 20's. Anyone old enough to have a cell phone can vote. I thought you cannot be older than 28 to be on the show? How old is Taylor Hicks anyway :scratch:

If Melinda does a blues or jazz album, I would buy it. I have never really been interested in the music produced by most idol winners.

rbrb

« Reply #207 on: 18 May 2007, 04:56 pm »
Don't you guy's find that Blake has absolutely no personality?  He can be interesting at times but I suspect he'll be just another performer that puts out product rather than content.  All polish with no charactor.

PhilNYC

« Reply #208 on: 23 May 2007, 02:09 pm »
I think Jordin wins it tonight...

Antman27

« Reply #209 on: 23 May 2007, 02:20 pm »
I think Jordin wins it tonight...
So do I But I also thought Katharine McPhee would have won over Taylor "Soul Patrol" Hicks
Seams like the public likes some kind of gimmick so the beet box may give Blake the W

richidoo

« Reply #210 on: 23 May 2007, 02:23 pm »
Judging by the presence and behavior of the modern Valley Girls at the Kodak last night, Blake may not be shut out quite yet. The 11yo's rule that show, as evidence by Sanjaia or whatever his name was... I think Jordan has pipes but offers immature interpretations. On the other hand, I wouldn't say Blake is next Sinatra either...
:)

Antman27

« Reply #211 on: 24 May 2007, 03:53 am »
What the FFFFFFF
So I worked late tonight and I just watched Idol on the DVR and it cut off after SG Peeper
I did not get to see who won  :duh: :duh:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #212 on: 24 May 2007, 10:56 am »

Jordin Won it !! :hyper:

Mightyburner

« Reply #213 on: 24 May 2007, 11:47 am »
What the FFFFFFF
So I worked late tonight and I just watched Idol on the DVR and it cut off after SG Peeper
I did not get to see who won  :duh: :duh:

Me too!   :banghead:

PhilNYC

« Reply #214 on: 24 May 2007, 12:24 pm »
Yeah, mine also cut off the very end, so I had to find out the winner on the Web.  I guess those are the risks of live TV running over...!

I thought it was interesting seeing all of the past AI winners performing all on the same show.  Actually thought Reuban Studdard was very good, and Carrie Underwood (who has been the most successful recognition-wise) seemed very uncomfortable performing.  Was also stunned to see Joe Perry playing guitar with Sanjaya (who was awful as usual).

Anyways, congrats to Jordin...I think she did great, and she'll be very successful...

mcgsxr

« Reply #215 on: 24 May 2007, 01:21 pm »
I was not surprised that Jordin won, nor was I surprised that her final performance (when she knew she had won) was brutal - but hey, she is 17, and as far as I am concerned, were she NOT completely overwhelmed by winning, it would have been odd.

For the record, I actually enjoyed Taylor's odd rendition of the Beatles song - then again, I am not much of a Beatles fan, so a completely different interpretation did not phase me at all.

PhilNYC

« Reply #216 on: 24 May 2007, 01:34 pm »

For the record, I actually enjoyed Taylor's odd rendition of the Beatles song - then again, I am not much of a Beatles fan, so a completely different interpretation did not phase me at all.

Really?  I was the opposite...when he first came out and sang his own song, I thought it was pretty good (he seemed very comfortable and relaxed performing, too).  Then he came out and did the Beatles tune and I thought he butchered it...

Surprisingly, I actually liked the Kelly Clarkson/Joe Perry performance of Sgt. Peppers.  When given a good song, she can put on a pretty good performance (like when they paired her with Jeff Beck a few weeks ago).  But I'll say that the songs that she puts out on the radio (like the first one she performed last night) really suck....

mcgsxr

« Reply #217 on: 24 May 2007, 02:17 pm »
I actually liked the Kelly Clarkson/Joe Perry performance of Sgt. Peppers

Totally agree there, I thought she was the highlight of my night, with that raw vocal.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #218 on: 2 Jun 2007, 09:33 am »
Well. I'm not sure the best won this year.  :?
I sort of was hoping Doolitle would win.
But of course a 17 year old, that's a good age to start a career.
Let's hope they don't burn her light in both ends.
I did not get to see as much of this years season as I had hoped but still!
Hm...

I got the impression that this years finalist weren't as good totally as say some other years?

Imperial
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2007, 01:04 pm by Imperial »

tomjtx

« Reply #219 on: 2 Jun 2007, 12:53 pm »
I think Dolittle is the best all round singer they have ever had. She has astounding control and maturity.

Jordin is just not in the same league, She may well be in 10 years though,

It really is a shame Dolittle didn't win.

On the  bright side, she will likely have a great carer.