American Idol 2007.

SunnyDay

Re: American Idol 2007.
« Reply #180 on: 3 May 2007, 03:09 am »
Phil's hunches were right on. Chris and Phil were gone. I was always rooted for Phil to be voted off, but he has improved quite a bit the last few weeks. Until next week.

PhilNYC

« Reply #181 on: 3 May 2007, 10:49 am »
Hey is it just my cable or did everyone have no audio when Bon Jovi played ?

The audio on mine cut out 3 times during the show last night, including during the commercial leading up to Bon Jovi's set right into the first few seconds of his signing.  I have DirecTV...

PhilNYC

« Reply #182 on: 3 May 2007, 10:55 am »
Phil and Chris were the only two left who I had no interest in buying a CD if they had produced one.  The four remaining singers are all IMHO talented and should get a recording deal.

chrisby

« Reply #183 on: 4 May 2007, 07:04 pm »
Phil and Chris were the only two left who I had no interest in buying a CD if they had produced one.  The four remaining singers are all IMHO talented and should get a recording deal.

All 3 of the girls could definitely sell an audio only CD, but it's my feeling that Blake would be far more enjoyable in a live performance.

honesthoff

« Reply #184 on: 4 May 2007, 07:33 pm »
My guess is the producers of the show are not too happy with the remaining contestants.  Let's face it, this is not the Van Cliburn competion but a derivative of the British "Pop Idol".  The goal is to find a marketable act, not the best singer.  None of those who remain qualify as camera-ready art.  With the exception of Blake, I see no one who will appeal to the 12-18 yr. old demographic this show targets.  I think they learned their lesson with Fantasia and Ruben and their sales numbers versus Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood.  With that being said, Melinda is easily the best singer and I hope she wins.

PhilNYC

« Reply #185 on: 4 May 2007, 07:49 pm »
The goal is to find a marketable act, not the best singer.  None of those who remain qualify as camera-ready art.  With the exception of Blake, I see no one who will appeal to the 12-18 yr. old demographic this show targets. 

I disagree.  I think Jordin would be a perfect fit for this...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #186 on: 5 May 2007, 12:41 am »
My guess is the producers of the show are not too happy with the remaining contestants.  Let's face it, this is not the Van Cliburn competion but a derivative of the British "Pop Idol".  The goal is to find a marketable act, not the best singer.  None of those who remain qualify as camera-ready art.  With the exception of Blake, I see no one who will appeal to the 12-18 yr. old demographic this show targets.  I think they learned their lesson with Fantasia and Ruben and their sales numbers versus Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood.  With that being said, Melinda is easily the best singer and I hope she wins.

Rita McNeal, she's neither attractive or thin.  Yet I bet she has sold more music than Clarkson or Underwood.  A good voice that sings well combined with talented song writing is of greater consequence that eye candy.  No wonder the pop music is laden with so much crap like Gwen Stefani.

PhilNYC

« Reply #187 on: 5 May 2007, 03:14 am »
None of those who remain qualify as camera-ready art. 

Btw - I read somewhere that Chris Daughtry had the highest-selling CD of all the AI winners so far, and not by a little bit...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #188 on: 10 May 2007, 02:03 am »
WOW! I know her performance wasn't one of her best last night but I was not expecting her to get booted.

PhilNYC

« Reply #189 on: 10 May 2007, 04:26 am »
I wasn't surprised that Lakisha got booted.  I was pretty confident Melinda and Jordin were going to be safe (Melinda is clearly the best singer, and Jordin has the charisma and youth appeal).  So that made it a race between Blake and Lakisha, and I think Blake has done a pretty good job at differentiating himself with his style, while Lakisha's style is basically head-to-head with Melinda...

PhilNYC

« Reply #190 on: 16 May 2007, 12:25 pm »
IMHO, all performances last night were very strong.  I'd actually say that Jordin's performances were the weakest of the three, but they were still very good.  All three deserve to get a recording contract out of this show...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #191 on: 16 May 2007, 01:05 pm »
 I still think Melinda will take it but Blake has a unique voice to bring to the table. I thought last night's performance was one of his best.
 All three were in their confort zone.

rbrb

« Reply #192 on: 16 May 2007, 03:37 pm »
None of those who remain qualify as camera-ready art. 

Btw - I read somewhere that Chris Daughtry had the highest-selling CD of all the AI winners so far, and not by a little bit...

It was recently announced that Chris was going on tour opening for Nickelback.

honesthoff

« Reply #193 on: 16 May 2007, 08:08 pm »
Any predictions?  I thought Melinda was best last night, and Blake and Jordin very close.  Was flipping back and forth between the ACM's (didn't want to miss Kelly Clarkson and Reba's duet) and Idol so I missed a few bits, but I really enjoyed Melinda's "Nutbush City Limits" and Blake's Maroon 5 song, but what was Simon thinking giving Jordin a Rose Royce song?

PhilNYC

« Reply #194 on: 16 May 2007, 08:16 pm »
I'm predicting that Melinda gets voted off tonight.  She's still my favorite, and I will definitely buy her CD (if it isn't some over-produced glossy junk), but I think that the people who vote for these things will vote for the younger/fresher singers.

Btw - am curious to anyone here who listens to Howard Stern...is he still trying to get people to vote for the worst singer?  Or did that die when Sanjaya was eliminated?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #195 on: 17 May 2007, 02:27 am »
Wow, good prediction Phil. I was not expecting that at all :scratch:. I know this is not the last we will be seeing of Melinda.

I have to say that I hope Blake takes it now. I have never been a big fan of Jordon.

tomjtx

« Reply #196 on: 17 May 2007, 03:33 am »
Melinda is the best singer by far. She may be the most accomplished singer to ever be on American Idol. It is a travesty that she was voted off and is an indication of the lack of taste of the American public. SO THERE  :-)

It is a commentary on the stupidity of music competitions that she didn't win.

Sorry, just had to vent.

Nothing against the other 2. They both have a lot to offer and hopefully will have big careers.
But Melinda, I believe, is gauranteed to have a big career. She is likely sifting through all the recording offers right now.

SunnyDay

« Reply #197 on: 17 May 2007, 07:03 am »
American Idol is more like a popularity contest with some singing thrown in. Melinda did not have a wide appeal like the other two contestants. During the homecoming segments, you can see that Blake and Jordin have a lot more supporters than Melinda. At least she lasted this far. I do believe she is the best vocal singer, but she does not have the charisma of Blake or Jordin.

Singapura

« Reply #198 on: 17 May 2007, 07:26 am »
Actually I hope Jordin wins. Melinda has it made already. She will have a life time career and in 20 years time she will be one of the great diva's, mark my words. Jordin will be popular but she'll have a whole army of Whitney's, Mariah's and the like to battle. She's still young so she has all the time to make it. Lewis may be the hippest guy in the contest but he is no match for real show singers like Robbie Williams or even George Michael. They have the "kinky" factor which makes them much more interesting then a 25 year old boy next door.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #199 on: 17 May 2007, 11:20 am »
Melinda is by far the best talent IMO.  I'll buy her album.  I really think it's a matter of the public just figuring she was a shoe-in and everyone was voting for 2nd place.  That's part of what sucks about the way the voting is done.  If voting was done to determine who was voted off vs who stayed, these kinds of things wouldn't happen.

Bryan