US Audition Amp: AKSA 100W Nirvana Plus

U4EA

« Reply #120 on: 29 Sep 2004, 12:27 am »
Quote from: audiojerry
Am I wrong, but I'm not seeing much in the way of compreshensive reviews other than a couple. Shouldn't they be posted on the Critics Circle, or would it be preferable to post them in this thread?

Jerry,

My review will be so comprehensive it will likely make you cringe.  I promise. :D  :D  :D  :mrgreen:

J North

« Reply #121 on: 29 Sep 2004, 12:32 am »
Quote from: U4EA
Quote from: audiojerry
Am I wrong, but I'm not seeing much in the way of compreshensive reviews other than a couple. Shouldn't they be posted on the Critics Circle, or would it be preferable to post them in this thread?

Jerry,

My review will be so comprehensive it will likely make you cringe.  I promise. :D  :D  :D  :mrgreen:

Ditto. I should be on the list soon after U4EA if we follow a geographical pattern. I'm due North a few hours.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #122 on: 29 Sep 2004, 01:11 am »
Quote from: AKSA
Have the amp for a week and write a review - is this something that's fair and reasonable?.........

We should take some pains to standardise the review, perhaps, so there's a format people can follow.  Any good examples people know about?
Everyone should respond with their comments , good or bad. One of the reasons why I had asked to hear the AKSA was so others could read about it from people that knew nothing about the AKSA amp. Sort of ...fresh off the boat... :?
    When you read reviews from people that are quiet familiar with a company, you tend not to trust what you read, thinking... , well... , maybe they have a stake in it somewhere. Reading a review of someone that knows nothing about the company or its products, but is basing their comments on what they actually heard...I find that more believable. IMO.[/list:u]
      Hugh, why not start a new thread with a sticky where after the home audition is over , one can post their review there. This way, this thread is used as a sign up , tracking, and info thread. And then, one can read each review in that other area.......just a few thoughts. :) [/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]

Occam

« Reply #123 on: 29 Sep 2004, 04:22 am »
Hugh and I have reviewed 'the list' and it seems reasonable to, after finishing the East , clear out the Midwest.  So we thought it reasonable to ship it to Vpoleni and SteveK in Missouri and then to Jonwb and AudioJerry in Wisconson. Then to the Rockies, and BEYOND!

Have we missed anyone in the East or Midwest? Speark up or PM me or Hugh.

As Hugh is Australiian and I'm geographically challenged, I'll delve into Mapquest and try and develop a schedule for you Sophiticates in the West.

kyrill

« Reply #124 on: 29 Sep 2004, 08:08 am »
if this goes around a while, the buzz and bees will multiply and a new trend maybe born ( can only happen when goodwill has reached a certain level)

So a professional audio reviewer from the web or a magazine (because of curiosity) will ask to participate in this dance : )

If I enter my dark side, a disguised unhappy competitor or "insurgent" from Bin Laden will participate and write a real bad review

audiojerry

« Reply #125 on: 29 Sep 2004, 12:08 pm »
Quote from: kyrill

So a professional audio reviewer from the web or a magazine (because of curiosity) will ask to participate in this dance : )

Well, as I sit hear at work at 6am, (been here since 3), I've actually got some time to kill, so...

As each year passes, and especially this past year, my enthusiasm for some aspects of the hobby have waned, but the joy of listening to music and appreciation of listening to it from a high quality music delivery system has remained strong. One area where I've especially lost interest is in reading the audio rags like stare-e-ofile and obsolete sound. Even if you disregard the possibility of an agenda, or corrupted viewpoints, I don't believe the professional reviewers are any more qualified to judge a component than most experienced hobbiests who have been exposed to a wide range of components as they have built their systems.

I find that professional reviews can be entertaining, descriptive, and colorful, but whether their opinions have any higher degree of credibility is questionable. They were hired for their writing ability, not because they have golden ears. In addition, professionals have biases just as we do, and one person's cup of tea is another's urine sample.

In my opinion, our own Audiocircle is a great source for getting honest and valuable feedback on components relevant to our own personal interests and goals. As we become familiar with each others viewpoints and personal preferences, we tend to rely on the opinions of members who seem to be on the same page as us, and disregard some others. Plus, this forum stimulates lively debate and discussion.

I, for one, am looking forward to the hearing DVV's viewpoints!  :wink:

jonwb

« Reply #126 on: 29 Sep 2004, 07:54 pm »
...and then to Jonwb and AudioJerry in Wisconson

you can go first Jerry, I'll need all the time I can get to finish these damned Alpha's (and get them broken-in).   :banghead:

...back out to the woodshed

Occam

N+ Tour queue.
« Reply #127 on: 29 Sep 2004, 11:18 pm »
Steve K,

Could you please contact me? I don't have a PM or email address for you. The next tour participant is Vpolineni (who is coordinating with Woodsea) and then the amp will go to you, as you're also in the ShowMe state. After your audition, it will be going to AudioJerry in Wisconson.

Regards,
Occam

AKSA

« Reply #128 on: 2 Oct 2004, 10:39 pm »
Hey!  I've lost track of the audition AKSA - who has it now?  How's it going?

Cheers,

Hugh

vpolineni

« Reply #129 on: 2 Oct 2004, 11:13 pm »
Hugh, the amplifier is en route to me and then to steve k.  From there, I believe it will depart from missouri to audiojerry in wisconsin.

Occam

« Reply #130 on: 3 Oct 2004, 02:43 am »
and after AudioJerry, then to Jonwb, also in Wisconson. This will complete the East of the Missisippit section of the tour.

SamL

« Reply #131 on: 3 Oct 2004, 08:47 am »
Quote from: Occam
The speaker cables that are shipping with the Touring Amp are the Tara Phase II with TFA return.

A slight off topic. What is the different between Tara Phase II and Tara Phase II with TFA return? Well, without a product info & photos, I am puzzle by this "TFA return".

TIA,
Sam

Occam

« Reply #132 on: 3 Oct 2004, 12:26 pm »
Sam,

The non-TFA return version simply has each leg, (+) & (ground), consisting as 2 18ga solid core wires twisted together. On that TFA return version a 3rd wire is added to one of the legs (ground?) which is connected at the speaker end but not the amplifier end. This makes the cable directional, and the cables are marked with arrows indicating their proper orientation.

As to what benefit this adds, either subjectively or technically, I haven't a clue. I've not heard the non-Return version. When I evaluated various speaker cables on the N+ and found, IMO, the TFA Return version of the Tara cables to an excellent match, Hugh and I decided to get a pair to accompany the touring amp.  The touring pair is currently in transit to Vpolineni, and when he recieves them he'll ship my own pair back to me. This is the reason for the '?' in my description, I don't have either set in front of me.

SamL

« Reply #133 on: 3 Oct 2004, 10:11 pm »
Sam,

The non-TFA return version simply has each leg, (+) & (ground), consisting as 2 18ga solid core wires twisted together. On that TFA return version a 3rd wire is added to one of the legs (ground?) which is connected at the speaker end but not the amplifier end. This makes the cable directional, and the cables are marked with arrows indicating their proper orientation.

Thanks for the info. The Tara cable Phase II TFA return price is very attractive. The 10ft pair is only about $18 more than a pair of JR's Belden 89259 speaker cable (source from Percy Audio). Add the factory termination it end up to be the same.

BTW, how flexible is this Tara cable Phase II TFA return comparing with Kimber 8TC? It is easy to pass through tight corner?

Have fun,
Sam

Occam

« Reply #134 on: 4 Oct 2004, 12:28 am »
Sam,

The Tara Phase II speaker cables are relatively inflexible, being composed of 2(or more) 18ga solid core twisted wires per leg, and each/speaker consists of 2 separate legs. So set of spreaker cable for a stereo pair consists of 4 separate cables. As they are solid core cable, they aren't particularly flexible, and sharp bends should be avoided.
They're not nearly as flexible as Kimber 8TC . That being said, IMO, these Tara cables are far superior on the N+ to Kimer 8TC. I've heard both the Taras and 8TC on two different systems, totally different save for the amplifier and speaker cables, and in both situations, the Kimber[EDIT rather the Tara was superior.Thanks Sam], was far superior in all respects.
YMMV

Carlman

« Reply #135 on: 4 Oct 2004, 01:33 am »
Just another datapoint on the Kimber/AKSA cable non-synergy...

I used 4TC and did not like the combo at all.  It seemed to really screw up the timing of things... it made the bass tubby and overall pace of the music slower.

Using zip cord sounded better than 4TC.  I ordered the TFA stuff from the Cable Co. and the order got a bit botched.  So, I sent back what they sent me and will be getting the correct order soon... I'll compare them to the Audience Maestro I'm using now.  The Audience is supposedly a fairly high capacitance cable so, I should hear SOME difference.

-C

SamL

« Reply #136 on: 4 Oct 2004, 04:43 am »

... the Kimber was far superior in all respects.

I believe you mean Tara,  right. :)

Quote from: Carlman
Just another datapoint on the Kimber/AKSA cable non-synergy...

I used 4TC and did not like the combo at all.  It seemed to really screw up the timing of things... it made the bass tubby and overall pace of the music slower.

I have the same exprience with 18 ft of teflon cat5 cable when I wire the solid colour for red (-) and the doted colour for black (+). I did not untwice the twisted pair but just used them right out of the jecket. I later wire the brown and orange togather for (-) and purple and green togather for (+) and that sound better, still it is not great. Maybe 18ft is just too long for Cat5.
Guess I better be a good boy and maybe Santa may give me a fat cable for Christmas.

Have fun,
Sam

audiojerry

« Reply #137 on: 4 Oct 2004, 12:37 pm »
Nothing against Kimber, but just to support what others have said, as a former owner of 4TC, which was the first "hi-end" cable I ever purchased, and after trying the 8TC, they rate way way down the list of cables I've used and owned. From a budget standpoint, I thought the Canare was a good buy, and some stuff from DIY Cable sounded very good. The Tara's appear to be a great value.

Gordy

« Reply #138 on: 8 Oct 2004, 08:55 pm »
Hi all,

I spoke with Steve at The Cable Company (Fatwyre) today to find out what I could about the Tara TFA...

About 2 yrs. ago Tara found a single 5000 ft (?) reel of the TFA in their now famous wearhouse, TCC bought everything they had.  The third wire is connected to the speaker ground and acts as a shield and aids in amp damping to the best of Steve's/TCC's knowledge.  They have no real documentation on it either.  They don't know what TFA stands for either :roll:, but "it has always been loved by owners of finnicky amps".  

Price is $5.00 per linear ft. with free termination on sets of 10 ft. or more.  If you prefer shorter lengths, buy it by the linear ft. as they charge $40.00 for termination.

Sorry, but that's all I could come up with...

AKSA

« Reply #139 on: 13 Oct 2004, 12:15 am »
The AKSA 100W N+ is presently in NYC as Occam fixes a small problem;  the knurled nut on the power switch came adrift and the toggle disappeared into the box, making switching it on a tad difficult..... :lol:

It will be put right and returned to Missouri, to Vasu, who is next to audition.

Sorry about delays, folks, one of those things.  The toggle is long, and might easily hit the side of the timber box and I suspect this worked the securing nut loose.  It's no-one's fault but my own;  I should have made the box a little deeper.  Might be an idea to take good care with packaging so the toggle does not approach the side of the box;  pack it off with the packing supplied.

Cheers,

Hugh