US Audition Amp: AKSA 100W Nirvana Plus

AKSA

« Reply #80 on: 16 Sep 2004, 05:57 am »
Hi Gordy,

How's that AKSA coming along?  Is it behaving?

Hugh

AKSA

« Reply #81 on: 20 Sep 2004, 05:33 am »
Hi Gordy,

Thank you for a most comprehensive assessment;  very frank, very clear and more credible than any audiophile mag!!

I think Paul really had it right with the Tara Labs speaker cable.  Thank you, Paul, your research is much appreciated and clearly kicking goals on the audition amp.

I suspect that the next cab off the rank should be Woodsea.  Paul, you there, is this OK by you?  And are you there, Woodsea?  Remember, you'll need to pay for the shipping from Wilimington DE to your home;  and I think next up should be Jeff (U4EA), are you there Jeff?

Gordy, just today posted off your request.  Should take about ten days.

Once again, thank you for looking after the AKSA so well and giving us the benefit of your careful assessment.  Your experience with an active system closely matches mine;  complexity does not always deliver the right outcomes.  I'm sure a good active crossover can be built which works really well, but short of the Linkwitz Orion/Phoenix solution I can't think of any.  BTW, I've never heard Phil Marchand's crossover, Darl Singh tells me it really is a good one, but I would say the jury's still out...

Cheers,

Hugh

AKSA

« Reply #82 on: 20 Sep 2004, 07:57 am »
Supermart,

Speaking of which, have you heard the Enigma (SIC) Variations on an AKSA?

I can recommend it, extraordinary transparency, pretty good for musical code......

Cheers,

Hugh

SuperMart

« Reply #83 on: 20 Sep 2004, 08:16 am »
AKSA old bean,

Yarse, I have heard the Enigman(sic) Variations. No problem with code if you use a couple of Nimrods as jumpers........

U4EA

« Reply #84 on: 21 Sep 2004, 01:52 am »
I think next up should be Jeff (U4EA), are you there Jeff?

Yes Hugh...I await the arrival.  I have a few cough, cough...sick days stacked up.

U4EA

« Reply #85 on: 21 Sep 2004, 01:53 am »
ordered a pair of the Tara Phase 2 TFA Return and I'm

SuperMart,

Where did you get these from?

Gordy

« Reply #86 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:04 am »
Jeff,  Check out The Cable Co.  http://www.fatwyre.com/speaker_b5_04.html

They have 10' sets for $99.95 :D

SuperMart

« Reply #87 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:15 am »
Thanks, Gordy - you are dead right. This may be the only source? Excellent service from The Cable Company, too.

Cheers,

AKSA

« Reply #88 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:19 am »
Hi Jeff,

Just spoke with Paul, Woodsea is local to Gordy, so he's next, then there's a possibility of one other in the area, then NY Rave, then you.  That OK?

I'm sorry - this always takes longer than planned, but we are getting there......

The amp/cable and shipping crate weighs close on 50 lbs, just warn you in advance, shipping won't be cheap for anyone I'd say.  If you can find someone local to you, you might share shipping costs.

Cheers,

Hugh

Gordy

« Reply #89 on: 21 Sep 2004, 03:05 am »
Thanks for the post Paul :D

Hello SuperMart - and they're only a 50 min. drive from my place 8) .  I really need to start taking advantage of their lending policy :o

I'm still waiting on a shipping address for Woodsea (damn the bad luck).

Paul asked me to try to improve on the padding for the amp.  The crate is extremely solid, but provides little shock protection as it's pretty tight inside.  What I's going to use is a dense closed-cell foam we use for insulating  chilled water lines.  It comes in 1" thick sheets so I can easily fit the crate inside a 24x24x12 box and have a 2-4" foam surround.  Best guess is maybe a 5 lb. weight increase.  Considering the many trips and miles it's taking, it'll be a worthwhile addition???  Is this okay with everybody?

Thanks,  Gordy

Occam

« Reply #90 on: 21 Sep 2004, 03:21 am »
Just got back into town.

To my knowledge -
http://www.fatwyre.com/newspecials.html
(CableCompany)  is the only US source of that Tara ...., Its on 'sale' (and has been for the last two years) and terminated and shipped directly by Tara. The price seems less that what they sell for on audiogon. For those concerned by the chatter on the various boards about Tara being raided by US Customs... I ordered the touring pair after the bust, and recieved them from Tara within two weeks.

I've had mine for about 6 years and IMO, they simply sound 'right'. Dunno why. The new pair is being broken in (actually a reviewer has asked to borrow them after being wowed with my Taras), and the new set will catch up with the touring amp which is currently accompanied by my pair.

EDIT - Martin, thanks for the 'thumbs up' on the Taras. I guess our reaction to these cables is quite in line with the stereotypical charaterization of solid core cables.  Actually, my first foray with audiophile cables was the Kimber braided cables, which I liked for a very long time. Only after associating with other likewise aberrants and hearing their systems did I become less happy.  The Taras were bought on price, AudioAdvisor's(who no longer carries them) 30day return privledge and the advice of knowledgeable friends, and luckily, they adressed my concerns to a 'T'. In other words, dumb luck. I assume there are even better cables for the AKSA out there, but the Tara's (comparitively) low price, provide an excellent starting point and IMO a synegysitic match.

[this is not a slam against Kimber braids, its all about system matching...]

Occam

« Reply #91 on: 21 Sep 2004, 03:34 am »
I just reread Hugh's post and want to clarify. I PMed Hugh attempting to say I thought it might make sense to swing the touring amp to a NYAudioRave at some point in the tour. I didn't mean to imply that the Rave has shown any interest, and I certainly can't speak for them.
The miscommunication is my fault. I'm exhausted, as I've been flying all day (and boy, are my arms tired!)

Carlman

« Reply #92 on: 21 Sep 2004, 03:42 pm »
I just ordered a 20' pair of cables from 'The Cable Co.' because they had them in stock and could get here by Friday... just in time for my speaker comparison!

I'll only be using about 8-9' per side, though.  So,'ll cut them and make jumpers for my main pair and there will be enough leftover for a 10' pair to sell.  I could leave one end unterminated or I could add Cardas spades if you want.  If you want the remainder, PM me.

Thanks,
Carl

edit:
The excess wire is sold.  
Look for a review this coming weekend on Tara vs. Audience.

Woodsea

« Reply #93 on: 21 Sep 2004, 07:34 pm »
Hi Gordy,
Do you need me to send my address off again?  I sent it originally at 12:30AM today.
Thanks,
Eric

Gordy

« Reply #94 on: 21 Sep 2004, 08:23 pm »
I received it first thing this morning Eric, Thanks!  I'll have it on it's way today :cry:

U4EA

« Reply #95 on: 21 Sep 2004, 11:57 pm »
Quote from: AKSA
Hi Jeff,

Just spoke with Paul, Woodsea is local to Gordy, so he's next, then there's a possibility of one other in the area, then NY Rave, then you.  That OK?

Hugh

However you want it to go Hugh.  As it is a great opportunity I can be patient.  No matter how hard it is. :mrgreen:

Gordy

« Reply #96 on: 22 Sep 2004, 02:20 am »
Now that it's too late :oops: , what is the suggested insurance amount when shipping?  

Gordy

AKSA

« Reply #97 on: 22 Sep 2004, 02:44 am »
Gordy,

It's worth $US2300.  Insurance to this amount is probably expensive, no?

Cheers,

Hugh

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #98 on: 22 Sep 2004, 02:50 am »
Quote from: AKSA
Gordy,

It's worth $US2300.  Insurance to this amount is probably expensive, no?

Cheers,

Hugh
Hugh,
    You might want to add this info about insurance to the beginning first post (page one) about the AKSA tour. Just a thought. :) [/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]

AKSA

« Reply #99 on: 22 Sep 2004, 10:25 am »
Thanks Chris,

Just added, #3 on page 1 of the first post.

$2K insurance is required henceforth.

A very good idea, thank you,

Cheers,

Hugh