US Audition Amp: AKSA 100W Nirvana Plus

jules

« Reply #140 on: 13 Oct 2004, 07:24 am »
Hugh,

you are far too kind to said toggle switch. Surely it is one of the immutable laws of life that a toggle switch will always take advantage of the slightest oportunity to undo itself! Even Houdini couldn't perform better in the darkness of a box. These are one of the most deceptively designed fasteners on earth capable of giving you the satisfaction of being the finishing touch on any project and yet always managing to loosen themselves at will.

The next time I screw one of these things it will be locked in place with locktite ... no, araldite ... no, a tack weld ... no, a full weld with some sort of pin and maybe a security camera to keep it in line.

jules

randog

« Reply #141 on: 13 Oct 2004, 04:13 pm »
Has it already made the western tour? I'm in Northern CA and would love to hear it unless it's too late.

Randog

Occam

« Reply #142 on: 13 Oct 2004, 04:27 pm »
Ran,

Nope, its not made it to the West yet. The amp just arrived for repair of that peskey switch. I haven't even unpacked it yet. I I'll be sending it back to Missouri for the 2 participants, and then on to Wisconson for 2 more auditions. After that it will be going west.

Aplogies for the delays,
Occam

rmihai0

« Reply #143 on: 15 Oct 2004, 06:04 pm »
What about Toronto Canada. Is not very far from NY. Is this posible?

Occam

« Reply #144 on: 15 Oct 2004, 06:47 pm »
RM,

I'll certainly add you to the list, but sadly to its end....  Folks have been waiting, and the only its back East is for repair of shipping damage. Its going back to Missouri to continue its tour-interruptus, as they keep shouting "SHOW ME!"
After it finishes on the West coast and swings back East, it can visit you, if you're still interested.

Regards,
Occam

rmihai0

« Reply #145 on: 15 Oct 2004, 06:50 pm »
Thank you very much. Whenever it will be posible.

Best regards

Alan C

« Reply #146 on: 24 Oct 2004, 02:09 am »
I'd like to get on this list...either cut in the line on the midwest portion, I'm in Kansas, next door to Missouri, or later on.  Not urgent...

Thanks, Alan.

Occam

« Reply #147 on: 24 Oct 2004, 02:33 am »
Alan,

Noted... At this point the touristas have been waithing on the lunch line for a goodly time, and I'd be facing an open rebellion if I let the cool guys, 8),  cut in line. :wink: The amp is gonna be personally delivered to the next 'show me' resident this coming Friday and then to these really intimidating dudes in Wisconson who've got these wedge shaped yellow things on their heads, which really scare the crap outta me.:o
But I've added you to the return trip from the West Coast.

Regards,
Occam

audiojerry

« Reply #148 on: 24 Oct 2004, 05:39 am »
Have you ever smelled Lindberger cheese? You should be scared :evil:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #149 on: 24 Oct 2004, 05:59 am »
Quote from: Occam
.... and then to these really intimidating dudes in Wisconson who've got these wedge shaped yellow things on their heads, which really scare the crap outta me.:o

Regards,
Occam
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: ...."cheesehead's"... :jester:

U4EA

« Reply #150 on: 29 Oct 2004, 10:17 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Have you ever smelled Lindberger cheese? You should be scared :evil:

They only listen to one band on the AKSA up there...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000C9JCY/qid=1099088256/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-4702189-0991934?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

AKSA

« Reply #151 on: 31 Oct 2004, 11:57 am »
Folks,

I have just completed a major edit of the rules for the tour.  You can find them here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11644&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I have changed the rules to optimize the benefits of the tour from a marketing standpoint.  I hope everyone here understands that;  nothing personal, just sales....... :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

mgalusha

« Reply #152 on: 31 Oct 2004, 12:30 pm »
Hugh,

I think your updated ruleset is very reasonable. I'm still looking forward to my time with the AKSA. :)

mike

audiojerry

« Reply #153 on: 1 Nov 2004, 01:59 am »
Hi Steve,
that was a nicely done, complimentary review, even though you state your preference for tubes, like me. I am a former VTL owner myself. It was my first tube amp - MB175 Signatures. The sound was great, but I had several reliability issues, and after relationships with several SS, tube, and one digital amp, I eventually moved on to Audio Research. I'd still prefer to own a less costly amp that delivered what I crave, but no SS has ever been able to completely satisfy. The AKSA may be a contender.

I've pm'd you about shipping

AKSA

« Reply #154 on: 6 Nov 2004, 10:44 pm »
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for this vignette - and for passing it along to Audio Jerry!

Anything to add to your review, comments from members of GAS?  I'm particularly interested in imaging/soundstage, detail, delicacy, involvement and noise performance.  These are the big ones.

Cheers,

Hugh

DeadFish

« Reply #155 on: 6 Nov 2004, 11:01 pm »
Quote from: AKSA
noise performance.  
Hugh

What noise, Hugh?

DeadFish

JoshK

« Reply #156 on: 7 Nov 2004, 03:05 am »
I think your rules of audition, Hugh, are more than fair.  Audition without feedback doesn't benefit you at all, and it doesn't make sense for you to send an expensive amp around the country if you don't generate some feedback as a result.

I know as soon as I have some extra cash (home renovations making that difficult), I am ordering a kit to build for myself.  I just haven't figured whether I want to build the 55, 100 or both yet!   :lol:

steve k

« Reply #157 on: 7 Nov 2004, 03:49 am »
I posted my thoughts earlier but I through out a request to the rest of the group to post their impressions. Thanks Deadfish, for your input.

Thanks again, Hugh for your hospitality.
steve k

AKSA

« Reply #158 on: 7 Nov 2004, 05:43 am »
Thanks Deadfish and Sturgus,

Appreciate the input, the criticism, the praise.

Remember, you can build an AKSA yourself for peanuts compared to the ranking retail products in the market!!

Cheers,

Hugh

EchiDna

« Reply #159 on: 7 Nov 2004, 07:18 am »
Quote from: sturgus
...On a scale of 1 to 10  I give it an seven...
..I give it an eight in overall bass performance.... I have to give a six in this area...

Hi Sturgus,
no disrespect, but in your opinion what ranks higher (9-10 )in your books? you seem to be the toughest grader of the AKSA I've ever seen  :o

Many people put the AKSA amps up there with the very best there is in the SS world! From your post I'm guessing VTL's are your preferred type of design, which is great, but what do they cost in comparison to the AKSA? a whole order of magnitude difference right?  :)