US Audition Amp: AKSA 100W Nirvana Plus

Gordy

« Reply #40 on: 22 Aug 2004, 12:09 pm »
I'm baaack...  and despite "Charles" had a wonderful time!  Salt water is good for the soul 8)

Quote from: andrewbee
Guess this really is audio-CIRCLE (round and round)...  :D

LOL Yup, it certainly is !

I'm in total agreement, I have learned much and have had the chance to hear so many things I would not have had the chance to otherwise thanks to the many sharing souls 'round here.  I am in deep debt :mrgreen:

Gordy

audiojerry

« Reply #41 on: 31 Aug 2004, 11:43 pm »
so-o-o-o-o-o?
Where do things stand with the tour?
Anyone?  :?

AKSA

« Reply #42 on: 1 Sep 2004, 12:09 am »
Audiojerry,

Thanks for your post;  I'll check with Occam, but I believe it is presently in NYC, then to Gordy I believe, then onwards and upwards......

Occam, could you please show your audition list?

Cheers,

Hugh

Gordy

« Reply #43 on: 1 Sep 2004, 02:07 am »
Hi all,  I believe I'm next IF JoshK doesn't take his option, thereby saving a trip back to NYC...

I am very ready though, thanks in no small part to Lonewoofy's enthusiasm :!:

Thank you, Hugh, for a wonderful opportunity.

Gordy

BTW, I just spoke with Occam 45 mins. ago, every time he said Hugh I thought he was saying you, very confusing.  Never try to carry on a conversation while eating a grilled rueben...

AKSA

« Reply #44 on: 1 Sep 2004, 11:19 pm »
Pleasure Chris, Gordy,

My thanks go out to Paul, who is orchestrating all this as I look up myopically from the bottom of the abyss downunder!!

Paul has done some exhaustive testing and found that Class A speaker cables, in this case the Tara Labs beast, fully exploits the resolving power of the AKSA, showing it in the best light.  I thank you, Paul, for this careful research!  Accordingly, as we want the AKSA to greatly impress, we have bought two 15' lengths and these will go out with the audition amp, so you won't even need cables.  Interconnects of your choice can be used, of course.

These solid core cables are quite pricey, so look after 'em, and please be sure to include them in the shipping box when you are done!!

Josh K, you there?  You were next, but your turn is rapidly evaporating because Gordy is next in line and you didn't contact Paul.  If you give him a call you might just get the amp before it goes out;  it will be delayed a short while as the cables come in by mail order.

Cheers, and happy listening!

Hugh

Lost81

« Reply #45 on: 1 Sep 2004, 11:29 pm »
OMG!

Hugh, you are too generous!

Speaker Cable audition in addition to an AKSA 100 Nirvana Plus audition?

You are too kind!

:guitar:  :hyper:  :drums:  :dance:  :bounce:  :violin:

-Lost81

kyrill

« Reply #46 on: 2 Sep 2004, 02:42 pm »
Quote from: AKSA
Pleasure Chris, Gordy,

My thanks go out to Paul, who is orchestrating all this as I look up myopically from the bottom of the abyss downunder!!

Paul has done some exhaustive testing and found that Class A speaker cables, in this case the Tara Labs beast, fully exploits the resolving power of the AKSA,  ...

Ah but which beast?

the http://www.taralabs.com/catalog/catalog_categories.asp?UID=FFE8E0E3ECB94B28ABBE1D341CB319B3&CT=1
link of their speaker cables do not mention a "beast"

Occam

« Reply #47 on: 2 Sep 2004, 03:30 pm »
The speaker cables that are shipping with the Touring Amp are the Tara Phase II with TFA return. Hardly a 'beast', but a rather pedestrian solid core based cable. Out of 'production' for over 5 years, Tara repeatedly ressurects them and sell at excellent prices, first through AudioAdvisor, and now though the Cable Company -
http://www.fatwyre.com/newspecials.html
a terminated 10' pair is $100.

FWIW, these were since the late 80's, a class A bargain cable reccomended by Stereophile.

Currently, Marvda1 is selling a 6' pair on our own boards-
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=12142
for $45 including airpost.

IMO, these are a tremendous match for the N+, which is why a 15' pair will be included with the touring amp.  What motivated this was the absolutely wretched results of pairing the N+ with Kimber 8TC. I thought in necessary to include a (relatively) inexpensive commercially available LS cable to demonstrate the capabilities of the N+ are there without requiring a 'silly money' cable.

Similarly, the Touring amp will be provided with a 9' Volex 17605 detachable powercord. My 'cheap SOB' fave, available for less that $10.

[EDIT] - you can get the 9' Volex 17605 (as well as the 6' 17604) here-
http://www.carlton-bates.com/cb/invsrch/flocresult.asp?svend=BC&Start=0&Offset=25&srchfield=stkmfgpart&pmvndstkn=BC%2D17605%2FB1%2D50%2F10&pumdbn=41056

kyrill

« Reply #48 on: 2 Sep 2004, 06:35 pm »
Occam
May I assume that the range (highend or above "charateristics" as Tara describes them) that Tara is now selling would equal or better this "out of production"cable?

Occam

« Reply #49 on: 3 Sep 2004, 02:33 am »
Kyrill,

Not having heard the newer high end speaker cables from Tara, I'm not in a position to oppine.  While I assume that newer is generally 'mo betta', I've been occasionally, sadly disappoited with that assumption.

I've heard these specific TARA cables in three systems with the N+, my own, the local audiophile club president's, and a professional reviewer's system; all very different systems. Both of the latter with cables substantially more expensive than these Taras.  In each system, the Tara Phase II with TFA return, gave (with all in agreement) the best performance. But I've not compared these Taras with higher priced Taras. Which is a roundabout way of saying - dunno.

Given my experience with various LS cables and the N+, and (in the scheme of things) the 'low' cost of these cables, both Hugh and I agreed that its wise to provide these cables with the Audition Amp, which would guarantee at least some minimal (IMO, quite high)  level of performance. There certainly might be better LS cables that match the character of the N+, but I've not found them.....

No doubt, as the amp wends its way, other posters will give therir opinions of both the amp, as well as which of the cables, their own and the Tara, gives the best results.

audiojerry

« Reply #50 on: 3 Sep 2004, 03:41 am »
Let me ad Occam to the list of folks to thank! This Aspen Circle has got to be made up of the best of the best AC members.

Is there any way of finding out the current itinerary of the tour?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #51 on: 3 Sep 2004, 04:20 am »
Quote from: Occam
The speaker cables that are shipping with the Touring Amp are the Tara Phase II with TFA return.
I checked out a few of my old Stereophile issues from the late 80's....this Tara was a recommended cable back then (Class A - DO). Full review , July 1988. Stated that the copper in this cable is from Austraila :) ......seems fitting for the AKSA.... 8)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #52 on: 3 Sep 2004, 04:51 am »
JoshK,
    The AKSA is the real deal !! It will surprize you !! Have fun !! :dance: [/list:u]

Occam

« Reply #53 on: 3 Sep 2004, 05:08 am »
Quote from: audiojerry

Is there any way of finding out the current itinerary of the tour?

Folks,

As I post, the amp is at Chez JoshK, and then next week, hopefully with Gordy, and then to Mark Maloof, SteveACNJ and Woodsea in an undetermined order depending on schedules. Within this East Coast Brownian motion, its gonna have to swing back to me (hopefully coinciding with Mark's stop) as I really want my Tara's back (I miss them!) to replace them with the ordered Taras that  will actually be terminated on BOTH ends, and dampen that 'rings like a bell' top chassis cover. Then to the Midwest, Moutain States and finally the 'Left' Coast??? Missouri is adjacent to British Columbia, right? I'm a bit geographically challenged,,,,,,,
Does this sound like a plan?

kyrill

« Reply #54 on: 3 Sep 2004, 08:09 am »
Folks,

As I post,.... and dampen that 'rings like a bell' top chassis cover. Then to the Midwest, Mo ...

Ah that topcover will NOT influence the sound in a good way. even better damped with the terminators.
Occam when you have the amp back, isn/t it possible to glue/use a kind of damping tape or better an oficial audio dampening gadgets to this topcover?
If the topcover is for the greatest part perforated, then the dampenings intervention will close a part, but that will not harm at all. I am sure you know how to follow yr own insights in this.
It is not expensive and I am sure Hugh will pay you back
Some PC shops sell  dampening glueable panels to lower the vibration of the big side panels
The amp will come in some serious transparent systems...

bubba966

« Reply #55 on: 3 Sep 2004, 08:31 am »
Missouri is adjacent to British Columbia, right?

Uhhh, nope. Missouri is on the North border of Arkansas. And BC is on the North border of Washington/Idaho/Montana. Which should make Missouri about 2,500 miles away from BC.

Occam

« Reply #56 on: 3 Sep 2004, 03:32 pm »
Quote from: kyrill
Ah that topcover will NOT influence the sound in a good way. even better damped with the terminators.
Occam when you have the amp back, isn/t it possible to glue/use a kind of damping tape or better an oficial audio dampening gadgets to this topcover?
If the topcover is for the greatest part perforated, then the dampenings intervention will close a part, but that will not harm at all. I am sure you know how to follow yr own insights in this.
It is not expensive and I am sure Hugh will pay you back
Some  ...

Kyrill,

Thanks for the 'heads up on' dampening options. I'll probably just source the dampening sheet at a local auto supply house; a CAE sheet or suchlike. Specifically, something that is NOT asphalt or bitumen based. While I don't dispute that certain audiophile approved tweaks are the ultimate, my intent here is to show that the N+ can 'show its stuff' with generic (but well chosen) accoutrements. Hence relatively low cost cables, powercords, dampening, binding posts, etc....
I want the tour participants to draw their own conclusions on what is possible by buying Hughs kit and completing it with products sourced from vendors without the word "Audiophile" in their name. While I don't disagree that using $500 powercords, ERS sheets, $2k cables, and binding posts milled by sweating virgins might offer even better performance, the goal is to show what can be done by the cheap, yet wise. Those incremental benefits offered at large cost are very subjective and Hugh is attempting to demostrate the qualities of a 'baseline' system.
Dunno about you guys, but the last situation I need is for my wife to see a Visa bill for a $500 powercord..... "You spent THAT! for a fook'n powercord??? Well, I hope you enjoy sleeping with it."

Regards,
Occam, the thoroughly whipped

PS - Bubba, I was joking....

kyrill

« Reply #57 on: 3 Sep 2004, 03:37 pm »
for 500 us dollars you can have a nice sleep.

JoshK

« Reply #58 on: 3 Sep 2004, 03:47 pm »
One question:  Where did the case come from?  I really like it and might be interested in trying to find a similar one when I build my AKSA.....yeah that is right, I plan to build one now for sure.

kyrill

« Reply #59 on: 3 Sep 2004, 03:59 pm »
Thanks Josh
 for giving yr first impressions.
Then you can imagine how sweet the AKSA 55 will be and I have 3 of them. And no, you cannot get them  :wink:

But Hugh, now you make us very interested in the case. How does it look like? Can't you put it on the AKSA gallery?