US Audition Amp: AKSA 100W Nirvana Plus

AKSA

« Reply #60 on: 3 Sep 2004, 09:15 pm »
JoshK, Kyrill,

Josh, thanks for your comments.  Very interesting.  I will be fascinated to read your comments on the imaging.

The case is my design, the result of a couple of iterations, fabricated from 2mm thick mild steel, laser cut and satin powder coated.  I have about 11 remaining in stock at present.  Machined heatsinks left and right.  I'll locate a photo and put it up........

Cheers,

Hugh

audiojerry

« Reply #61 on: 3 Sep 2004, 10:36 pm »
Hey Occam,
I've got a big roll of adhesive back acoustic dampening sheet from Parts Express. I'd be happy to send you some. Just tell me how much you neeed if you are interested: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=268-010

This multi purpose, noise reduction material actually absorbs the vibration of any solid material. It is made of a mineral filled asphalt polymer that transforms vibrational energy into thermal energy (low level heat). The flexible nature of the damping sheets enables it to mold and conform to irregular surfaces. They can be cut using a standard razor knife and are self adhesive for easy peel / stick application. Can handle continuous temperatures -30° to 350° F. Thickness: .070".   You can reduced interior noise levels 3-10 dB.

Speaker Building

Perfect for lining the interior of your speaker cabinet. It will help reduce cabinet resonances and standing waves. Can also be used as a constrained layer between two pieces of wood.

Occam

« Reply #62 on: 4 Sep 2004, 12:10 am »
Jerry,

Thank you for your kind and generous offer. I'll PM you tomorrow.

Thanks,
Occam

AKSA

« Reply #63 on: 5 Sep 2004, 06:45 am »
I'm building a personal 100W N+ at present using the same case as the Audition Amp, and will take a sequence of pictures for the gallery when it is done.

Josh, thanks for the heads up on the sound stage.  Good to hear!

Who's Next?  Pete Townshend?   :lol:   Nah, that would be Maloof?

Cheers,

Hugh

kyrill

« Reply #64 on: 5 Sep 2004, 09:09 am »
dubbelpost. Sometimes the congestion makes this forum ssso slow that I misinterprete it.

kyrill

« Reply #65 on: 5 Sep 2004, 09:09 am »
hI Josh

A serious system you have.
I suppose you have upgraded your Sony SCD player, at least with a dedicated clock?
If not, a big surprice will await you.

I would also GREATLY recommend you http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/ttmat.htm

My modedd Copland 288 and TEAC VDRS 10 used the LcAudio XO3 clock from Denmark

kyrill

« Reply #66 on: 6 Sep 2004, 07:19 pm »
Hi Josh

reclocking is not that difficult. In many cases (but not all) it is even easy to do it yourself, when you have a kind of installation guide. Mostly the manufacturer of the clock has extensive experience with different brands and models within brands.

The price of the clock incuding separate powersupply (ABSOLUTELY necessary) even including the costs of installation by a third party,  is worth the price as expensive medicine is for a serious disease.  Only medicines are never improving healthy conditions while money spend to clocks will double (in my case triple) your enjoyment of listening.

And your Sony  will benefit greatly...guaranteed.

EchiDna

« Reply #67 on: 7 Sep 2004, 06:20 am »
Kyrill, no disrespect, but please try to keep the thread on topic... CD clocks and the like have nothing to do with the AKSA amp audition tour of the US.... so if something grabs you that is off topic, start a new thread ;-)

kyrill

« Reply #68 on: 7 Sep 2004, 08:22 am »
that would change the Aspen forum culture, wouldn't it EchiDna?  :wink:

Lost81

« Reply #69 on: 7 Sep 2004, 09:17 am »
Quote from: kyrill
that would change the Aspen forum culture, wouldn't it EchiDna?  :wink:

:lol:  :rotflmao:  :beer:

-Lost81

AKSA

« Reply #70 on: 7 Sep 2004, 09:43 am »
And now for something completely different!!    :thumb:

A massage from the Swedish Prime Minister............. :jester:

However, comma, Glen is correct.  Perhaps we should keep things on topic more.  I promise - no more Monty Python!    :lol:

Now, Josh, to whom will you despatch the AKSA 100N+, and has this person contacted you?  Do you have the crate, and Paul, has the Tara labs cable arrived?

BTW, Paul was telling me that the Tara Labs company was founded by an Australian living in the US.  In eastern Victoria, there is a beautiful wooded valley called the Tara Valley.  I wonder if the company was named after this exquisite part of Australia?

Remember, the next guy pays shipping from NYC to wherever....... :rules:

Cheers,

Hugh

Lost81

« Reply #71 on: 7 Sep 2004, 09:50 am »
Just a word of unsolicited advice:

Avoid UPS!

Seriously, they smash things. :evil:

I had items that were crated with 1/4" thick plywood, and 2 by 4s for the main frame, and UPS still managed to smash them. (WTf?)

Pay a little more for Fed Ex Ground.
Seriously.

I don't want anything bad to happen to the AKSA 100W Nirvana Plus.

-Lost81

bubba966

« Reply #72 on: 7 Sep 2004, 07:42 pm »
Quote from: Lost81
Pay a little more for Fed Ex Ground.
Seriously.

Actually, FedEx Ground is usually a slight bit cheaper than UPS Ground.

Not so on Air shipments though. That's where FedEx is a slight bit more expensive than UPS.

Gordy

« Reply #73 on: 7 Sep 2004, 07:56 pm »
I've heard and read horror stories about all the carries.  My current theory is that if you pay for the 2 or 3 day delivery, your package is afforded more select treatment.

Personally, I prefer receiving from UPS, if only because I'm on a first name basis with my man in brown, he's aware that it's usually electronic equipment and he alters his route to accomodate my work hours. 'course they still have to survive the trip until reaching him :roll:

Gordy

U4EA

« Reply #74 on: 8 Sep 2004, 03:08 am »
Quote from: Occam
Folks,

As I post, the amp is at Chez JoshK, and then next week, hopefully with Gordy, and then to Mark Maloof, SteveACNJ and Woodsea in an undetermined order depending on schedules. Within this East Coast Brownian motion, its gonna have to swing back to me (hopefully coinciding with Mark's stop) as I really want my Tara's back (I miss them!) to replace them with the ordered Taras that  will actually be terminated on BOTH ends, and dampen that 'rings like a bell' top chassis cover. Then to the Midwest, Mo ...

Sounds good.  Just don't forget me!!!

Occam

« Reply #75 on: 8 Sep 2004, 03:56 am »
Quote from: U4EA
Sounds good.  Just don't forget me!!!

Certainly not! Idaho. thats next ot Delaware, right? :P

The amp is here after its stay at JoshK's and will soon be with Gordy, hopefully shipped out by weeks end. I'm awaiting the in-trasist dampening sheet, whereupon it can simply go from audition to audition directly.

J North

« Reply #76 on: 8 Sep 2004, 12:28 pm »
U4EA,

Are you in Northern or Southern Idaho?
If your'e up north, we may be able to save some shipping costs as I could drive to pick it up.

U4EA

« Reply #77 on: 11 Sep 2004, 03:52 pm »
Occam,

Hmm I thought you meant Iowa but that ain't near Delaware either!!!

U4EA

« Reply #78 on: 11 Sep 2004, 03:53 pm »
Quote from: J North
U4EA,

Are you in Northern or Southern Idaho?
If your'e up north, we may be able to save some shipping costs as I could drive to pick it up.

J North,

In Boise which is the Southwest end of the state.

Gordy

« Reply #79 on: 13 Sep 2004, 08:01 pm »
Hello Melbourne - The Eagle...  The AKSA has landed :hyper:

I'll let it warm until after a dinner engagement tonight, however it's sounding wonderful already after a mere hour of play.