Who Is America's Greatest Active Band?

Rclark

Re: Who Is America's Greatest Active Band?
« Reply #80 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:51 am »
I do own Probot and while I didn't quite know what to expect when I got it, I had to have it as a metal fan, and it's a tremendously good listen.

dboulet

« Reply #81 on: 25 Oct 2011, 05:15 am »
I have a feeling I might be alone on this one, but I think that my vote goes to Cannibal Corpse:guitar:

Rclark

« Reply #82 on: 25 Oct 2011, 05:23 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOb6JSQd-Qw

I bet this vid will shock a lot of people who think metal bands have no musical talent. I don't think that camera adequately captures their dexterity and technique, his picking of triplets is mind-melting fast.

mcoaggie

« Reply #83 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:00 pm »
Ok.  You got me listening to Melvins today. 
Alice in Chains .. last album was very good.  Saw them on the man in the box tour with Ozzy back on the
Ozzy's "No more tours tour" - funny how that went.

I'm surprised noone has thrown up the "Kings of Leon".  Great band seemed to be coming of age. 

Greatest band .. we'll this stuff I just like to listen and they're active.

drab

« Reply #84 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:13 pm »
No love at all for Green Day?

mcoaggie

« Reply #85 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:17 pm »
And I'm shocked noone mentioned "The Black Keys" yet.  Awesome.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #86 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:28 pm »
I am beginning to think that the golden age of American bands is either wayy gone, or has yet to be seen.  There seems to be few current bands that can actually be called "greatest" (I read that NOT as being our favorite necessarily, but as earning their stripes being all things influential, good, popular and consistent), and we have found ourselves to be dipping either into the past, or have named our fave up-n-coming bands.  I mean no offense, but naming The Melvins or Them Crooked Vultures as America's greatest band is not exactly one that would stand up to heavy scrutiny, regardless of how good they are (and they are).

jackman

« Reply #87 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:48 pm »
I am beginning to think that the golden age of American bands is either wayy gone, or has yet to be seen.  There seems to be few current bands that can actually be called "greatest" (I read that NOT as being our favorite necessarily, but as earning their stripes being all things influential, good, popular and consistent), and we have found ourselves to be dipping either into the past, or have named our fave up-n-coming bands.  I mean no offense, but naming The Melvins or Them Crooked Vultures as America's greatest band is not exactly one that would stand up to heavy scrutiny, regardless of how good they are (and they are).

Ted, I agree with you 100%, heck 10000000000000000000000000%!

If the best band we can offer is Wilco, Kings of Leon, Big Head Todd, Melvins, or Crooked Vultures, Cannibal Corpses, etc., the state of American bands is very, very sad.  Many of these bands are good, and I'm probably going to piss some people off but none of them are on par with great bands of the past.   There are great musicians, some of the best ever, but they do not have the cultural relevance of great bands of the past.  Most of the bands in this thread are regrettably foregettable.  To put it differently, 100 years from now, I don't think anyone is going to be listening to songs from the Melvins or the Cannibal Corpses, etc.  Heck, I don't think most people will recognize most of these bands ten years from now. 

Where is the next Led Zepplin, or Rolling Stones?  The next Beatles, AC/DC or even U2?   Does anyone think Kings of Leon will be the next Rolling Stones?  Which current band is going to be as big and transformational as Pink Floyd or as culturally relevant as the Doors, The Who or Jimi Hendrix Experience were in their day? 

It's not about the bands.  There are lots of talented bands in America today.  I listen to as much music as I can and still love Rock and Roll music.  Unfortunately, there are NO active American bands that have achieved the heights of the greatest bands and none on the horizon.  Sad...

bushbison

« Reply #88 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:56 pm »
E street band and Cheap Trick... the former because of their vibrancy and the latter because they've never given up, keep releasing albums, love what they do and tour constantly regardless if they sell like crazy or not...

jackman

« Reply #89 on: 25 Oct 2011, 05:04 pm »
Additionally, look at the biggest concert draws from 2010.  The only new "act" is Lady Gaga!  Is she the best active American band? Bon Jovi?  Yuck!  I hate many bands on this list but you can't deny their popularity. 

All-time, the biggest draw is U2, followed by the Stones, AC/DC and Madonna, and the Police.  The Stones actually have 4 of the top 10 grossing tours of all time.  I'm not saying this makes them the most relevant but they have struck a chord with so many people.  Which modern band, currently active in the US, will wear this crown? 

Bon Jovi ($201.1 million)
AC/DC ($177 million)
U2 ($160.9 million)
Lady GaGa ($133.6 million)
Metallica ($110.1 million)
Michael Buble ($104.2 million)
"Walking With Dinosaurs" live show ($104.1 million)
Paul McCartney ($93 million)
Eagles ($92.3 million)
Roger Waters ($89.5 million)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #90 on: 25 Oct 2011, 05:29 pm »
Ted, I agree with you 100%, heck 10000000000000000000000000%!

If the best band we can offer is Wilco, Kings of Leon, Big Head Todd, Melvins, or Crooked Vultures, Cannibal Corpses, etc., the state of American bands is very, very sad.  Many of these bands are good, and I'm probably going to piss some people off but none of them are on par with great bands of the past.   There are great musicians, some of the best ever, but they do not have the cultural relevance of great bands of the past.  Most of the bands in this thread are regrettably foregettable.  To put it differently, 100 years from now, I don't think anyone is going to be listening to songs from the Melvins or the Cannibal Corpses, etc.  Heck, I don't think most people will recognize most of these bands ten years from now. 

Where is the next Led Zepplin, or Rolling Stones?  The next Beatles, AC/DC or even U2?   Does anyone think Kings of Leon will be the next Rolling Stones?  Which current band is going to be as big and transformational as Pink Floyd or as culturally relevant as the Doors, The Who or Jimi Hendrix Experience were in their day? 

It's not about the bands.  There are lots of talented bands in America today.  I listen to as much music as I can and still love Rock and Roll music.  Unfortunately, there are NO active American bands that have achieved the heights of the greatest bands and none on the horizon.  Sad...

Based on your post and Ted's, I would say the closet thing we have is Phish or Dave Matthews Band.  While neither of them is as influential and transcending as the bands you listed, I think they are two of the biggest rock and roll acts currently still putting out new material.

BTW, if you look back over the last 20-30 years, there aren't too many bands that could say they were the next Zep, Stones, Beatles, U2, etc...

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #91 on: 25 Oct 2011, 05:33 pm »
Based on your post and Ted's, I would say the closet thing we have is Phish or Dave Matthews Band.  While neither of them is as influential and transcending as the bands you listed, I think they are two of the biggest rock and roll acts currently still putting out new material.

BTW, if you look back over the last 20-30 years, there aren't too many bands that could say they were the next Zep, Stones, Beatles, U2, etc...

George

+1

jackman

« Reply #92 on: 25 Oct 2011, 05:44 pm »
If Phish and Dave Matthews are the closest things, we are in real trouble. Those guys suck.  IMO they aren't far from The ear torture of Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber. Bad.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #93 on: 25 Oct 2011, 05:45 pm »
If Phish and Dave Matthews are the closest things, we are in real trouble. Those guys suck.  IMO they aren't far from The ear torture of Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber. Bad.

Hey, we haven't opinionated on the other questionable choices!  geez!!  I mean, cmon..your vote is RHCP.  :)

drab

« Reply #94 on: 25 Oct 2011, 05:49 pm »

George

I think Pearl Jam would still fulfill their criteria. They sell out arenas in minutes and did have an influential period. They may not have the highest grossing tours but I think because they don't rape their fans for $200 a ticket.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #95 on: 25 Oct 2011, 05:58 pm »
I think Pearl Jam would still fulfill their criteria. They sell out arenas in minutes and did have an influential period. They may not have the highest grossing tours but I think because they don't rape their fans for $200 a ticket.

Agreed.

I think I blocked them out because I missed their tour and I am anxiously waiting for them to tour again in the States. 

George

drab

« Reply #96 on: 25 Oct 2011, 06:31 pm »
Agreed.

I think I blocked them out because I missed their tour and I am anxiously waiting for them to tour again in the States. 

George

You will not be disappointed, George. They still sound amazing live. One thing about Vedder, like him or not, is that he can still belt it out today like he could twenty years ago. Not too many of the screamer variety of singers can claim that.

Mike

Rclark

« Reply #97 on: 25 Oct 2011, 07:18 pm »

I so totally agree! I thought I was the only one!

I think we're talking quality of music, the bands mentioned so far are every bit as good as the bands of the past. Hell Vultures is 1/3 Led Zeppelin!

The "heights" of the past are not possible because the scene has changed. People steal their music now, it's not possible to sell 80 gazillion records anymore, if it was, there would be plenty of modern bands who would be SHATTERING the sales records of the past "heights". So unfair criticism.

It's been almost two decades now where you could rip an album and download it. To millions of people, this is all they know about music. They don't have the same appreciation for a band, an album. Music to them is a bland-tasting free buffet they just sample from.

I for one, rebelled against all that, and started a cd collection. Tried with all my meager ability to be an audiphile. It's only now I'm getting to build a real system.

But anyway thread title kinda suggests older bands.

If you want to talk about new bands, here's a curveball, I really enjoyed Drake's band's performance on SNL http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/drake-headlines/1362580.... Even if you don't enjoy hip hop, just listen to the band.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #98 on: 25 Oct 2011, 07:23 pm »
As much as I love the Helio Sequence, I'm going to officially change my pick to The Twilight Singers.

JoshK

« Reply #99 on: 25 Oct 2011, 07:29 pm »
'merica:
Tool
Wilco
Queens of the Stone Age/Them Crooked Vultures (or anything Josh Homme puts his hands on)
Death Cab for Cutie   (Ben Gibbard is freaking genius if you ask me)

Canada:
Arcade Fire

Britian:
Radiohead