Who Is America's Greatest Active Band?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Who Is America's Greatest Active Band?
« Reply #160 on: 28 Oct 2011, 03:48 pm »
Claiming all critics must be dishonest because they don't agree your almighty opinion is even cuter.

:lol:

And even more adorable!   :wave:

D.D.

soundbitten1

« Reply #161 on: 28 Oct 2011, 04:45 pm »
And even more adorable!   :wave:

D.D.

Thanks, don't forget lovable too.

:thumb:

HalSF

« Reply #162 on: 28 Oct 2011, 08:00 pm »
It’s not easy to reach a strong consensus about when a thread is tired and done, and from now on will produce only japes, quips, excessive emoticons, rat holes, crank-vs.-whippersnapper sniping, and the odd troll grenade, but in my opinion, this thread (which i never quite believed posed a valid question to begin with) has arrived at that end point. It may lurch on, zombie fashion, for some time to come, but I’m out.

:scratch: :sad: :bowdown: :cuss: :whip: :shake: :banghead: :rules:

Diamond Dog

« Reply #163 on: 29 Oct 2011, 02:18 am »
If this is live then it's easy. As George and I think Ted mentioned PHISH.
If you have not seen them live then you just can't relate. Second place is not even close.

If this was solely about live performance, I think my vote would pretty much have to go to Prince and whatever jaw-dropping band he's put together. No disrespect to Phish but my gawd, Prince puts on a show. Drawing from the long and venerable tradition of R & B " Showtime", if you go see Prince you will be entertained. For me, second place would probably be Gogol Bordello out of New York - that's an amazing show,too! Third place, Pearl Jam, both for the performance aspect but also for the vibe you get at a Pearl Jam show. For two and a half hours or so, you join the Jam-ily and it's pretty cool...Haven't seen Phish but I wonder if it's a similar thing in that you are immersed in a really loyal bunch of fans and that makes shows special.

D.D.

Rclark

« Reply #164 on: 29 Oct 2011, 05:03 am »
And now, an interlude. Pretty awesome video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXDgFwE13g

I have to hear the album version of that on my system.

Lyndon

« Reply #165 on: 29 Oct 2011, 05:26 am »
Diamond Dog
+1 on Prince
One of the finest live shows I've ever seen.  Production with a capitol "P"
It was Motown slick.

pjchappy

« Reply #166 on: 29 Oct 2011, 05:49 am »
I know people have reminded others, but the question was America's greatest active band.

If it was 2 albums ago, I would have tossed out a second-place vote for Kings of Leon.  In my opinion, 3 albums ago, they went from raw bad-ass, to relatively soft. . .which was confirmed with their last 2 releases.  Their first 2 full releases were simply awesome.  To an extent, I would describe their first 2 albums as a somewhat modern take on the best-of-the best southern rock music from the late '60s and early to mid '70s.  At the time, I thought their 3rd release to be somewhat of an anomaly. . .a bit of a homage to the desires of Lord Record Company.  From there on, however, it seems to me they really pushed hard to break the US market (being quite popular in the UK, but generally unknown in the US).  With that, they became quite 'poppy.'

Even ignoring the latest releases from KOL, my #1 vote would have to go to Wilco.  Their latest release just continues the awesomeness.  I am a big fan of all their albums, which of course includes stylistic changes over time (more so, in terms of broad changes from their earliest stuff to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot).  At the earliest, Wilco could simply be described as an alt-country band. 

For me, after the break-up of Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt's Trace blew Wilco's first effort out of the water.  From there on, however, Wilco grew.  After several years, I would even say they evolved.  For me, the only comparison, in terms of such a musical evolution, would be a comparison to The Beatles.  The only other band to successfully make such an evolution (of course, in my opinion), has been Radiohead.  However, I think Wilco's evolution has been more musical.  As a result, Wilco went from #3 on my list of favorite bands, to #2, switching spots with Radiohead.

In a way, Wilco's latest release tied everything it released beforehand all together.  Their latest, The Whole Love, brings in subtle experimental elements (a la Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and to a lesser extent, A Ghost is Born), with their generally evolving alt-country roots. 

Not to turn this into a Wilco review, but I'll say Tweedy (and as far as considering general band dynamics, Stirrat, who is has also been around since day one) has/have definitely benefited from hist/their current line-up, especially with Nels Cline.

I am very much looking forward to seeing them once again, for the 5th time, on December 3 in KC! :rock:  Due to a weeknight concert, I couldn't make it in to St. Louis (STL) several weeks ago for a show there.  For those that don't know, Wilco is based out of Chicago, but Tweedy (and Farrar, from Uncle Tupelo, now Son Volt) are from a suburb of STL.

Paul

Crimson

« Reply #167 on: 29 Oct 2011, 12:37 pm »
In no particular order:

RHCP
Soundgarden
NIN
Pearl Jam

Funny thing, though. Wilco does nothing for me.  :P

jackman

« Reply #168 on: 29 Oct 2011, 02:10 pm »
Hi Paul,

I enjoy your opinions on music and bands. KOL is a talented band an I enjoy their music. My wife is a big fan and we have all of their CD's. Not sure I'd compare them to the best of the best southern rock from the 70's. Listen to Live at the NAND the Filmorr Concerts - Allman Bros, and let me know if KOL could take the stage after the 23 year old virtuoso Duane Allman worked his magic.

Duane Allman was not a good looking guy, but he was true a genius on guitar, one of the best to ever live. I wonder if he would have made it in today's music world, where looks are so important.. The KOL guys are good looking which seems to carry more weight in today's music world. 

Then again, Tweedy is goofy looking but very popular. I need to give this more thought...

Cheers

J

bummrush

« Reply #169 on: 29 Oct 2011, 02:17 pm »
In a way, Wilco's latest release tied everything it released beforehand all together.   You nailed it perfectly with your previous line .

Diamond Dog

« Reply #170 on: 30 Oct 2011, 03:17 am »
In a way, Wilco's latest release tied everything it released beforehand all together.   

Well put. I wonder if they're at a crossroads now and what happens next...I don't think I've heard an album released in 2011 that's better than The Whole Love.

D.D.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #171 on: 30 Oct 2011, 01:49 pm »
Well put. I wonder if they're at a crossroads now and what happens next...I don't think I've heard an album released in 2011 that's better than The Whole Love.

D.D.

Same here!

George

jazzagain

« Reply #172 on: 3 Nov 2011, 09:13 pm »
The Greyboy Allstars.

dap7777

« Reply #173 on: 3 Nov 2011, 10:42 pm »
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals -- pretty darn good.
Los Lobos -- really, really good.
Great -- not too sure 

martinr

« Reply #174 on: 4 Nov 2011, 12:40 am »
I haven't gone through all of the posts but did see Phish a couple of times on the first page.

The term "Greatest" leaves much room for interpretation......

Not sure if they're the greatest but one of my favorites that tour constantly still is:
LITTLE FEAT   :thumb:

DavidS

« Reply #175 on: 4 Nov 2011, 12:54 am »
One I have been listening to lots over the last year is JJ Grey and Mofro.  Lot of musical links to vintage Allman Brothers but also with modern spins of blues based rock.  Have been playing their live album a lot of late.  Not sure if they are the greatest but right up there with Wilco for me.

Delta Wave

« Reply #176 on: 5 Nov 2011, 07:27 am »
It's too bad Pablo Cruise isn't around anymore...  :green:

Stu Pitt

« Reply #177 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:47 am »
Delta Wave,

Can you consider Tool "active?"  They haven't made an album together in a few years.   There's a rumor every other year about them making a new one, and there's no shortage of side projects.  I think Tool has become more of a side project for them than anything else.  Not bashing them, as I'm a huge fan.

Here's one not yet mentioned:  the Beastie Boys.   Perhaps not a band in the sense that's been argued, but they've been around for quite some time and have always done what they want to do.  Just when you forget about them, theyre back with a vengeance.

I was in 6th grade when License To Ill came out.  My parents hated it and told me they're a bunch of clowns who won't be around for more than an album or two.  They said the same about Metallica.  Great predictions.

JoshK

« Reply #178 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:27 pm »
I still consider Tool active even if their albums are infrequent.  I'll take quality over quantity myself.  Radiohead took its time between some albums too.

I'll throw out one band not mentioned that I enjoy immensely but maybe not quite make the list of "greatest" but still great IMO.  Yeah Yeah Yeahs.  Check out their stuff. 

Rclark

« Reply #179 on: 12 Nov 2011, 11:51 pm »
STEVIE WONDER