Who Is America's Greatest Active Band?

DavidS

Re: Who Is America's Greatest Active Band?
« Reply #140 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:11 am »
A vote for Wilco

Delta Wave

« Reply #141 on: 27 Oct 2011, 04:04 am »
Just because Them Crooked Vultures only have one album at the moment, doesn't discount them for the topic. We're talking a band that has culminated from bands such as Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Desert Sessions, Probot and probably a few others I can't think of at the moment. They're the "Cream" of the 21st century.

I have extremely eclectic taste in music but I would definitely call them the greatest active American rock band. For those of you who have never given them a listen, you should.

Rclark

« Reply #142 on: 27 Oct 2011, 04:50 am »
Yes, the album is incredible. Vultures isn't some cheap trick to make a buck.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #143 on: 27 Oct 2011, 05:13 am »
Steely Dan..2 American gentlemen who every few years puts an album out and then tours -usually a group of American Musicians- behind it. They have consistently had hit records and sellout their shows pretty regularly. ....oh and the music and recordings made of it are the Schiit!!!!! :thumb:

Delta Wave

« Reply #144 on: 27 Oct 2011, 05:45 am »
Steely Dan..2 American gentlemen who every few years puts an album out and then tours -usually a group of American Musicians- behind it. They have consistently had hit records and sellout their shows pretty regularly. ....oh and the music and recordings made of it are the Schiit!!!!! :thumb:

They've always been one of my faves...

Wally King

« Reply #145 on: 27 Oct 2011, 11:21 am »
OK, so I am old, but I have to say that the golden age of rock 'n' roll sure looks like it's over.  And it's been over for a long time.  Even the best bands out there today are simply rehashing stuff that been's done better a million times before. The last band that gave me a thrill was White Stripes, and before that, Nirvana.

Wilco, maybe. But I mostly agree with those who say it's chiefly a vehicle for Jeff Tweedy.
Pearl Jam?  Boring.
Dave Matthews band?  Boring, boring, boring. I don't get it.  Never did.

I'd really like to give my vote to the Nels Cline Singers.  More jazz than rock, but they eat the lunch, breakfast and dinner of any rock band currently functioning.

So, having said that, I have to give my vote for best current band to Yo La Tengo.  They float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.  Plus, I've always had a weakness for bands that have a bit of a sense of humor about themselves that comes through in their songs. And they're not even as old as me.

If only Naked City was still functioning.

soundbitten1

« Reply #146 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:13 pm »
If Yo La Tengo is to be considered so should Sonic Youth (both are noise makers in the best possible sense of the word). Like Yo La Tengo they've had an incredible run of great albums since the '80s.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #147 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:34 pm »
If Yo La Tengo is to be considered so should Sonic Youth (both are noise makers in the best possible sense of the word). Like Yo La Tengo they've had an incredible run of great albums since the '80s.

Wonder how long Sonic Youth will hold it together now that Kim and Thurston are splitting up...

D.D.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #148 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:41 pm »
Wonder how long Sonic Youth will hold it together now that Kim and Thurston are splitting up...

D.D.

They're pretty much done anyway. Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star was their last great album.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #149 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:50 pm »
They're pretty much done anyway. Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star was their last great album.

I didn't mind Murray Street but it was no Daydream Nation for sure. Have you heard The Eternal ? I haven't but it was well reviewed. I think they reached the stage ( like Elvis Costello ) where pretty much every thing they released got a pass from the critics regardless of quality.

D.D.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #150 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:56 pm »
I didn't mind Murray Street but it was no Daydream Nation for sure. Have you heard The Eternal ? I haven't but it was well reviewed. I think they reached the stage ( like Elvis Costello ) where pretty much every thing they released got a pass from the critics regardless of quality.

D.D.

I haven't listened to the entire album, just the samples on Amazon. I think you're right with the critics, because their later stuff just doesn't do a thing for me. No excitement, no goosebumps, just.... meh. Their stuff from the 90's, however, is simply amazing. 

soundbitten1

« Reply #151 on: 27 Oct 2011, 06:41 pm »

D.D.

If you don't like their later records that's one thing (personally I find Murray Street, Sonic Nurse & Rather Ripped all terrific) but to say critics are dishonest liars because they don't agree with your assessment is a little out there.

Berto

« Reply #152 on: 27 Oct 2011, 07:03 pm »
If this is live then it's easy. As George and I think Ted mentioned PHISH.

If you have not seen them live then you just can't relate. Second place is not even close.

Rclark

« Reply #153 on: 27 Oct 2011, 10:13 pm »
OK, so I am old, but I have to say that the golden age of rock 'n' roll sure looks like it's over.  And it's been over for a long time.  Even the best bands out there today are simply rehashing stuff that been's done better a million times before. The last band that gave me a thrill was White Stripes, and before that, Nirvana.

Wilco, maybe. But I mostly agree with those who say it's chiefly a vehicle for Jeff Tweedy.
Pearl Jam?  Boring.
Dave Matthews band?  Boring, boring, boring. I don't get it.  Never did.

I'd really like to give my vote to the Nels Cline Singers.  More jazz than rock, but they eat the lunch, breakfast and dinner of any rock band currently functioning.

So, having said that, I have to give my vote for best current band to Yo La Tengo.  They float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.  Plus, I've always had a weakness for bands that have a bit of a sense of humor about themselves that comes through in their songs. And they're not even as old as me.

If only Naked City was still functioning.

Nope, you really are wrong, there are so many bands making new music, music hasn't stopped, rock music is still awesome.

But the bands YOU liked, that sound, is from a time, it doesn't make the stuff coming out today bad, it's just... not for you.

Like when you were a kid, I suppose, I don't know how old you are, but The Beatles weren't exactly driving the parents wild.

The style, the lyrics maybe, the look, you just might not relate to what's going on today, but that doesn't mean the bands aren't as talented, or even more so, than what came before, and that the music isn't as enthralling to todays audience as the bands you loved were to you.

But I'll say it again, there is a HUGE musical movement, even rock music, underground, maybe in a different country. You just have to look, but I guarantee if you looked you'd find 20 new bands you could enjoy in a matter of days. In pretty much any genre.

It really bugs me when people say that rock music is dead. It's evolving. And without being exposed to new rock music, nobody is ever going to develop the curiousity to check out Buddy Holly, etc.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #154 on: 27 Oct 2011, 11:32 pm »
If you don't like their later records that's one thing (personally I find Murray Street, Sonic Nurse & Rather Ripped all terrific) but to say critics are dishonest liars because they don't agree with your assessment is a little out there.

I would agree that saying that "critics are dishonest liars because they don't agree with my assessment" would be "a little out there". That's why I didn't say it. You did.
What I did say was that critics started giving a pass to Sonic Youth beyond a certain point even if the work they were doing was no longer up to the standards set by the band themselves. As much as you enjoyed Rather Ripped , if you actually do believe that it is the equal of the best work this band produced, that's your lookout but it would put you solidly in the minority even among Sonic Youth's fan base. And you know it would. So why the fuss?

I don't think critics who go easy on some performers beyond a certain point are doing so because they are, as you put it,"dishonest liars". I think that they do it because after raving about certain acts for years, they a) have an emotional attachment to the act and are reluctant to accuse them of treading water or not hitting the mark and b) don't want to jeopardize their own cred which they established by supporting that act previously. I mentioned Elvis Costello in my earlier post - I own his entire catalogue and there are some real drooling pooches in there - even he will admit that. Even so, there are some critics who have cut him a lot of slack in those instances. Same with Bowie. Same with Prince. Same with Neil Young. I could go on. And I love those artists. I own my fair share of Sonic Youth's catalogue, too. I'm just not big on blind adulation.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go page through recent volumes of Hansard to see when they passed a law saying I have to like everything Sonic Youth ever put out.

Rclark: Your last post was gold, baby. Gold.  :thumb:

D.D.

jackman

« Reply #155 on: 28 Oct 2011, 03:47 am »
Give it a rest Jman...we got your point 3 posts ago.

George

Sorry, you are right. No more drinking and texting for me!

soundbitten1

« Reply #156 on: 28 Oct 2011, 05:23 am »

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go page through recent volumes of Hansard to see when they passed a law saying I have to like everything Sonic Youth ever put out.

I never said you had to like all their records but disagree with you stating the critics must have given them a free pass because you think they weren't good.  The critics didn't agree with your opinion so they must have been dishonest with their reviews? What proof do you have that they do this? It would have to be a conspiracy of some sorts to have a number of critics do this together. Do you really believe that happens? If so, why doesn't Bob Dylan get a free pass every time?

Lyndon

« Reply #157 on: 28 Oct 2011, 05:51 am »
If so, why doesn't Bob Dylan get a free pass every time?

Two Words
Self Portrait

Or as Gandalf said, "You shall NOT pass!"

I've enjoyed this spirited discussion, but it is totally subjective.  I believe with the loss of the old school delivery system of the record companies and radio stations, combined with the onslaught of tons of other ways for people to spend their time, it will be very difficult to achieve a mega-band that will also deliver in lyrics and music.  But I do believe it will happen. The circle goes around and around.  I love the new music coming out of several genres. :thumb:

Diamond Dog

« Reply #158 on: 28 Oct 2011, 12:33 pm »
I never said you had to like all their records but disagree with you stating the critics must have given them a free pass because you think they weren't good.  The critics didn't agree with your opinion so they must have been dishonest with their reviews? What proof do you have that they do this? It would have to be a conspiracy of some sorts to have a number of critics do this together. Do you really believe that happens? If so, why doesn't Bob Dylan get a free pass every time?

Fanboys are so cute when they get angry! Just adorable!

D.D.

soundbitten1

« Reply #159 on: 28 Oct 2011, 02:29 pm »
Fanboys are so cute when they get angry! Just adorable!

D.D.

Claiming all critics must be dishonest because they don't agree your almighty opinion is even cuter.

:lol: