Who Is America's Greatest Active Band?

Rclark

Re: Who Is America's Greatest Active Band?
« Reply #60 on: 23 Oct 2011, 05:34 am »
Tool

Never got into Tool. Always felt like every song sounded exactly the same. And their far far left liberal lyrics are sung with the same sort of venom spewn by a protestant preacher. Very didactic, I-know-everything type stuff. A little narrow and they bring the mood down. Can't knock it though, they have legions of devoted fans, but it never took with me.

Zero

« Reply #61 on: 23 Oct 2011, 05:38 am »
Uhh.. well..  I don't know about 'greatest', but I really like Incubus. 

Syrah

« Reply #62 on: 23 Oct 2011, 02:37 pm »
I'll toss in Spoon and second The Flaming Lips.  I read "active" to be touring and recording new music.  If we discount bands where the music is written by one person, there would not be too many left.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #63 on: 23 Oct 2011, 03:57 pm »
If the question was asked a couple of months ago it would have been hands down REM, but that selection is now moot.  Wilco?  Yeah, I have a lot of their music, but never viewed them as transcendental.  Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, another popular suggestion, but mostly it's Bruce Springsteen.  The group wouldn't have had so many wrong turns over the years if it was more of a group instead of Bruce's vehicle for musical experimentation.

So my pick is a bit of a darkhorse, but no group still touring has been more consistently solid than the Indigo Girls since their start in 1987.  You can listen to every album from start to end and never be bored or complacent.  Not exactly rock, not exactly folk, not exactly anything but good music for adults.     

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #64 on: 23 Oct 2011, 06:07 pm »
Boston Philharmonic.

Delta Wave

« Reply #65 on: 23 Oct 2011, 07:46 pm »

I got that album day 1. Popped it in last night cause I haven't heard it with my updated gear, and it left me gobsmacked. That might be one of the best albums of the last ten years.

Can't wait for the new one.

Chickenfoot OTOH, man, their album III is an epic fail. Not even interested in checking out the first one. I'm sure they're awesome live though, especially with a few beers in you.

I can't get enough of it (TCV), it's such a fantastic album from start to finish. They did an entire concert on Jimmy Kimmel which is available on YouTube in HD.

kenreau

« Reply #66 on: 23 Oct 2011, 07:56 pm »
My Morning Jacket has to be right up there imho.  Jimmy James has an incredible voice.

Queens of the Stone Age.

Wilco

The Decemberists

InfernoSTi

« Reply #67 on: 23 Oct 2011, 08:28 pm »
Metallica has been around a long time, made a real mark on the music scene that changed the sound of hard rock for the next generation, and they still tour with a vengeance. I saw them a year or so ago in Dallas and they were really outstanding (Lamb of God opened).  They really connect with their fans at a live show. 

John

simoon

« Reply #68 on: 25 Oct 2011, 12:11 am »
Since I listen to exclusively progressive music, my list will be pretty obscure.

Echolyn
Thinking Plague
Helmet of Gnats
Cynic
Spastic Ink
Redemption

Quiet Earth

« Reply #69 on: 25 Oct 2011, 01:01 am »
For the non-rock/pop category I will vote for the Keith Jarrett Trio followed very closely by the Pat Metheny Group.

gary

« Reply #70 on: 25 Oct 2011, 01:16 am »
I'm going to say Vampire Weekend. They don't get a lot of real respect (yet), and they only have two albums, but to me they are without a question the best pop/rock band since the Beatles.

gary

mcoaggie

« Reply #71 on: 25 Oct 2011, 01:34 am »
One of my favorites and they're active again.... going to see them this weekend in New Orleans..
SoundGarden 

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #72 on: 25 Oct 2011, 01:44 am »
This is definitely the sort of loaded question that could only be answered by:

The Melvins

Rclark

« Reply #73 on: 25 Oct 2011, 03:17 am »
I have a Melvins album, I can't recall the title, but it's nothing but 29 - 32 minutes of brutal drone mixed with massive drums. It's fun to play every now and then. I should get into them more.

Since Nirvana is having it's moment right now, fun little fact, all Kurt Cobain wanted to be was a guitarist in the Melvins. They've got some good stuff. One of their best bassists went on to join one of my very favorite metal bands, High on Fire.

Soundgarden, awesome. Hey by the way, nobody has mentioned Alice in Chains. Their last album is pretty damn good, in case you didn't know.

And I just got done adjusting my maggies and got sucked into Them Crooked Vultures. Wow, when the smoke clears some time down the road, I think we're looking at one of the great albums of our time. Can't wait for their next one.

They're my favorite Dave Grohl band. And to hear John Paul Jones (Zeppelin) on bass, and Josh Homme on vocals and guitar is pretty fantastic. It's a long listen, and every song is a ten. Great band.

nnck

« Reply #74 on: 25 Oct 2011, 03:48 am »
I have a Melvins album, I can't recall the title, but it's nothing but 29 - 32 minutes of brutal drone mixed with massive drums.

I'm going to venture a guess that it's the s/t Melvins release from 1992?
Originally titled Lysol, but that had to be pulled from the market and re-released as simply Melvins.

Rclark

« Reply #75 on: 25 Oct 2011, 03:54 am »
That's the one.   :thumb:

rocker9999

« Reply #76 on: 25 Oct 2011, 03:56 am »
BON JOVI

Delta Wave

« Reply #77 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:09 am »
BON JOVI

In all CAPS no less...  :lol:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to stay with my first choice... Them Crooked Vultures ...On vinyl even. The saviors of modern rock IMHO.  :drums: :guitar: :rock:

nnck

« Reply #78 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:11 am »
This is definitely the sort of loaded question that could only be answered by:

The Melvins

BTW, I'm just kidding about this. I just feel that it's silly to think that this question can even begin to be answered. So I just chose a band that has no problem alienating their fans every once in a while. Funny that Rclark then posted about one of their releases that had that exact effect. I seem to remember hearing that that release was meant to mess with their fans and/or record label a bit.

Delta Wave

« Reply #79 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:12 am »
And I just got done adjusting my maggies and got sucked into Them Crooked Vultures. Wow, when the smoke clears some time down the road, I think we're looking at one of the great albums of our time. Can't wait for their next one.

They're my favorite Dave Grohl band. And to hear John Paul Jones (Zeppelin) on bass, and Josh Homme on vocals and guitar is pretty fantastic. It's a long listen, and every song is a ten. Great band.

I couldn't agree more, I do wish he would do another Probot album as well.