Who Is America's Greatest Active Band?

soundbitten1

Re: Who Is America's Greatest Active Band?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2011, 04:40 pm »
Cheap Trick

mr_bill

« Reply #21 on: 22 Oct 2011, 04:45 pm »
The Who is great as you state in your title.

I'll pick RUSH.

Delta Wave

« Reply #22 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:47 pm »
Rush is Canadian. I would have to throw Them Crooked Vultures into the mix.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:49 pm »
Los Lobos!

funkymas

• In The Beginning...There Was Funk!
    • Audiophile Bass
« Reply #24 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:54 pm »
Chickenfoot

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #25 on: 22 Oct 2011, 06:30 pm »
Chickenfoot

I did not see that coming... :)

D.D.

yo2tup

« Reply #26 on: 22 Oct 2011, 06:35 pm »
the raconteurs

ctviggen

« Reply #27 on: 22 Oct 2011, 07:01 pm »
I just can't take Wilco when their songs diverge into noise.  If they stay out of noise, they're good.  Not as good as The Decemberists, but good.  I can listen to every CD back-to-back by the Decemberists; there are several SONGS by Wilco I've never -- and I mean NEVER -- made it the whole way through. 

I still also like Big Head Todd and the Monsters. 

soundbitten1

« Reply #28 on: 22 Oct 2011, 07:27 pm »
Los Lobos!

I forgot about them ... great band!

sts9fan

« Reply #29 on: 22 Oct 2011, 07:46 pm »
I vote for Phish or GWAR

Rclark

« Reply #30 on: 22 Oct 2011, 08:22 pm »
GWAR is Canadian.

George Thoroughgood!

jackman

« Reply #31 on: 22 Oct 2011, 08:24 pm »
This is a tough one because there are lots of bands to choose from (including several good recommendations in this thread) but I'll give my $.10...

I don't think Wilco can be the greatest active band.  IMO, they are technically not a band.  Wilco is Jeff Tweedy.  Even though the current lineup is awesome and very solid, perhaps the best Wilco lineup ever, Jeff runs the show.  He can hire and fire everyone else and I believe he writes and composes all of the songs and the other musicians are basically hired guns.  Disagree with Jeff and you go away.  This is a not a band but a group of very talented musicians supporting a solo artist, Jeff Tweedy.  Also, as much as I like Wilco, I've yet to listen to one of their albums all the way through without skipping some tracks. 

Another band that I don't think anyone mentioned that probably doesn't qualify is Steely Dan.  IMO, they are much better than many of the bands mentioned (including Wilco) but they are just two guys and a revolving chair of other hired guns.  IMO, these guys are crazy talented but probably not a "band".  If Wilco is considered a band, than my vote goes to Steely Dan. 

Also, there are several other bands mentioned that are good or were good in their time but are no longer relevent.  They may be alive and playing at your local county fair but they rae not "active" in the sense that they are relevant.  IMO, the greatest "active" band should still be musically relevant (releasing new albums that actually connect with the audience and touring).  This rules out several bands that I have loved through the years, even though the members are techncally still alive.  Please note, their latest guitarist, Nils, is as good as it gets in my book.  Amazing talent. 

Pearl Jam is a great suggestion.  They have always maintained very high artistic standards and despite 20 years as a band, have never cashed in to as a notalgic band.  I'm not really into their latest stuff but they continue to push their art and I respect their high standards.  Also, they are still incredible to see live.  Mike McCeady is one of the best guitarists I have ever seen live and Eddie Vedder is still one of the best rock vocalists in the biz.  Plus, aside from the revolving chair at drummer, these guys have been intact for 20 years.  That's pretty amazing. 

My vote goes for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  These guys might not be your cup of tea, but they are a true band.  I don't know what the current situation is with the departure of  John Fruscante, but these guys are amazing musicians and are a TRUE band.  They share song writing credit equally, have always split the $$$ evenly, have put out great albums since the 80's and are one of the best live bands you will ever see.  They have my vote over Pearl Jam because RHCP's have been more consistant.  Plus, my favorite Pearl Jam album is 10, their first album.  Although they put out some really good stuff, none topped the raw energy of 10.

Cheers!

Jack

PS - If we open this up to include non-active bands, my vote goes to Credence Clearwater Revival, Aerosmith, Allman Bros, The Band, Van Halen...wait, there are too many choices.  Forget everything, this is too difficult because there are too many bands I have loved through the years. 

Crimson

« Reply #32 on: 22 Oct 2011, 08:26 pm »
NIN  :icon_twisted:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #33 on: 22 Oct 2011, 08:27 pm »
GWAR is Canadian.

George Thoroughgood!

GWAR is from Richmond, Virginia.

bummrush

« Reply #34 on: 22 Oct 2011, 08:32 pm »
Wilco and it sure isn't just Jeff,, without Nels Cline they wouldn't be close to what they are now at this point in their career.

jackman

« Reply #35 on: 22 Oct 2011, 08:37 pm »
Wilco and it sure isn't just Jeff,, without Nels Cline they wouldn't be close to what they are now at this point in their career.

Are you serious?  Nels is the newest member and has only been on 3 albums.  I don't believe he has writing credit for any songs and if he steps out of line, Jeff will fire his ass and replace him with another hired gun.  That's Wilco.  The bass player keeps his mouth shut and is the only original member aside from the Boss Tweedy.  Nels is an amazing talent and the best guitarist Wilco has ever had, but he is paid help, that's it.  Wilco = Jeff Tweedy.   :thumb:  Look at what happened to the late Jay Bennett.   :o

Also, I love NIN.  I'm a huge fan of Trent Reznor, but NIN = Trent Reznor.  That's not a bad thing, Trent is one of my favorite artists on the planet.  NIN is whatever TR wants it to be so I can't consider them to be a band.  Still, they are awesome. 

Mike Nomad

« Reply #36 on: 22 Oct 2011, 09:04 pm »
Assuming we are truly talking about a band (as opposed to an outfit where it is obviously one person with some kind of ensemble behind them), and talking about how well they play, write, etc. (as opposed to how many units they shift) most of my picks got named:

Cheap Trick
Los Lobos
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

As for a group much more recently established, my pick is Galactic.

sts9fan

« Reply #37 on: 22 Oct 2011, 09:09 pm »

Hahahahhahahhahahhahaha
Wait
Hahhahahahhahahhahahahahha!
Nels is great. I do find him to be a one trick pony though. Even if it is a mind blowing trick it's still one trick.
Tweedy IS Wilco.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #38 on: 22 Oct 2011, 09:10 pm »

Some fascinating choices so far...one that is notable for their absence this far in ( although given recent developments, the "active" part may be up in the air ) has gotta be Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band.
Hmmmm   :scratch:

D.D.

bummrush

« Reply #39 on: 22 Oct 2011, 09:25 pm »
i dont listen to Bruce but he also should be top of list with others,other good one was Los Lobo,s.