• Supreme Sound Audio
Re: Films worth a second look . .
« Reply #80 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:49 am »
Rocky series....great movies, good times.  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #81 on: 5 Jan 2011, 01:48 am »
 The 7% Solution . Interesting turn on the Sherlock Holmes story, with a solid cast. Nicol Williamson as Holmes, Robert Duval as Watson, Alan Arkin as Dr. Freud, and Sir Laurence Olivier as Dr. Moriarity. Takes Holmes obsession with Moriarity down a whole different path.

Sleuth  Michael Caine and Sir Laurence Olivier play the ultimate practical jokers, with dark intent. Some really good twists in this one.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #82 on: 20 Jan 2011, 06:21 pm »
In the vein of Die Hard movies, gimme The Long Kiss Goodnight.  The movie has some fabulous stunts and Geena Davis positively rocks in the lead.  Also, the movie has some very funny lines mostly courtesy of her sidekick, Samuel L. Jackson.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #83 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:13 pm »
The International.  A pretty recent movie.  Very entertaining.  Very good cast. 

tomwhite

« Reply #84 on: 1 Feb 2011, 11:11 pm »
What about Star Wars movies? they are epic.  :D

I have the entire collection.

Martyn

« Reply #85 on: 6 Feb 2011, 07:40 am »
   The Best Years of Our Lives.

Probably the best movie Hollywood ever made.

Cheers
                                   Charlie

My wife and I watched this movie this evening based on Charlie's recommendation. It is indeed a fine film - thoroughly absorbing and quite moving. It's one of those things that reminds me of how fortunate I am. Thank you, Charlie.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #86 on: 6 Feb 2011, 08:02 am »
Up In The Air.  A very different kind of story and made with a lot of charm.
I do like that movie, perhaps because I am a big George Clooney fan. I see him as Humphrey Bogart for this generation...Speaking of Bogey, I recently watched " The Maltese Falcon" & " Treasure of the Sierra Madre" again for the 1000th time but for the first time on BluRay ( big Bogey fan )- I love both of these films for different reasons but i think that my preference may have shifted for the first time- I have always loved "The Maltese Falcon`for its overall film noir darkness and the fact that it stays true to the original Dashiell Hammett dialogue ( along with the fantastic cast ) but I think I may now actually prefer `Treasure of the Sierra Madre`overall...

D.

ArthurDent

« Reply #87 on: 9 Feb 2011, 07:28 pm »
While surfing the air waves last night noted a fun romp with one of my all time favorites, James Coburn. Dead Heat On A Merry-Go-Round, on the Antenna network. Another of his that is well done is The President's Analysist. Not classics in the vein of Bogey's work, but solid offerings.

Re DD's re-visit of Bogey's works, don't leave out High Sierra, Key Largo, The Petrified Forest, and They Drive By Night. All well done, and both Key Largo & High Sierra are right up there with Treasure & Maltese in my book.....JD
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2011, 01:52 am by ArthurDent »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #88 on: 10 Feb 2011, 01:39 am »
While surfing the air waves last night noted a fun romp with one of my all time favorites, James Coburn. Dead Heat On A Merry-Go-Round, on the this network. Another of his that is well done is The President's Analysist. Not classics in the vein of Bogey's work, but solid offerings.

Re DD's re-visit of Bogey's works, don't leave out High Sierra, Key Largo, The Petrified Forest, and They Drive By Night. All well done, and both Key Largo & High Sierra are right up there with Treasure & Maltese in my book.....JD
There's another good mystery movie with Coburn starring as a pathologist in a Boston hospital (I think).  Don't remember the name.  Thought he was cool as Pat Garrett, too.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #89 on: 10 Feb 2011, 02:38 am »
There's another good mystery movie with Coburn starring as a pathologist in a Boston hospital (I think).  Don't remember the name.  Thought he was cool as Pat Garrett, too.

The Carey Treatment

jimdgoulding

« Reply #90 on: 10 Feb 2011, 02:40 am »

ArthurDent

« Reply #91 on: 10 Feb 2011, 03:15 am »
The Carey Treatment
  +1

Another of his in the Western vein, which might have been mentioned way back in the thread - Duck You Sucker (aka Fistful of Dynamite). A contemporary of Clint's Leone flicks. On the surface a light hearted blow 'em up, with some interesting political subplots and a fine performance by Rod Steiger as the bandit.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #92 on: 10 Feb 2011, 03:29 am »
Speaking of Steiger, try "The Loved One", a devastating satire on the funeral industry.  It's from the 70's (I think), so it's dated.

Harold and Maude, another dark comedy form around that time.

Michelle Pfeiffer and DeNiro in "Star Dust".  Not your typical DeNiro flick.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #93 on: 10 Feb 2011, 05:45 am »
Thank You For Smoking.  Very smart, witty/funny written.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #94 on: 10 Feb 2011, 07:50 am »
  +1

Another of his in the Western vein, which might have been mentioned way back in the thread - Duck You Sucker (aka Fistful of Dynamite). A contemporary of Clint's Leone flicks. On the surface a light hearted blow 'em up, with some interesting political subplots and a fine performance by Rod Steiger as the bandit.

8) ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THn36Mwmv7U

nathanm

« Reply #95 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:35 pm »
Network - for its still-relevant topical ramifications, as well as to enjoy how movies in the 70s weren't so damn fast-paced as today.

The Fall - because it's so damn gorgeous to look at.  Each carefully-composed frame of it is all arty 'n shit.  Love it.

martyo

« Reply #96 on: 10 Feb 2011, 05:32 pm »
Network - for its still-relevant topical ramifications, as well as to enjoy how movies in the 70s weren't so damn fast-paced as today.

That's stating it mildly. Broadcast News too. 8)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #97 on: 11 Feb 2011, 05:27 pm »
I'm gonna get all freaky on you and say that The English Patient is one of the best made movies I've seen in 10 years.  It's note perfect to me.  It has romance and intrigue, beautiful music and production, and story.  The romance and intrigue are very closely related if you're paying attention.  Not for everybody, tho, I'm sure.  Beautiful story telling and heady stuff for old romantics like me.  Plus, I'm a sucker for fine boned, aristocratic looking women (Kristin Scott-Thomas).   

1ZIP

« Reply #98 on: 20 Feb 2011, 02:34 am »
Turning on the "Way Back" machine:

Drama

A Man for All Seasons (1966)
Vanishing Point (1971)
Ordinary People (1980

Comedy

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)

SCI-FI

Almost any of those from the 50's.  Some were so bad they were funny.

Bemopti123

« Reply #99 on: 20 Feb 2011, 02:48 am »
"A Tale of Two Sisters"(2003)

"A Bittersweet Life" (2005)

by the same Korean director.  Too bad that "A Bittersweet Life" was never released in the US.  You can watch it through bootleg DVDs in Ebay.  His "I Saw the Devil" (2010) will be at a theater near you if it is all that is hyped up to be.