Films worth a second look . .

jimdgoulding

Re: Films worth a second look . .
« Reply #20 on: 22 Apr 2010, 01:35 pm »
Twilight.  Very entertaining mystery from writer/director Robert Benton with Paul Newman. 

martyo

« Reply #21 on: 22 Apr 2010, 02:15 pm »
Twilight.  Very entertaining mystery from writer/director Robert Benton with Paul Newman. 

Great movie. Paul, Gene Hackman, James Garner, Susan Sarandon, Reese Witherspoon, and Stockard Channing who hadn't been seen for quite sometime. (Before her West Wing role).
Paul Newman is our alltime favorite actor, Hackman one of the great character actors, just have always liked Garner, and a couple of nice shots of Witherspoon. :eyebrows:

Another Paul Newman from this period with Benton directing; Noboby's Fool. I think an even better performance than Twilight but both are two of our favorites.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #22 on: 22 Apr 2010, 02:59 pm »
The Coen B's first, Blood Simple.  Is this the greatest mind fugue movie ever made or what!
+1
Great homage to Alfred Hitchcock. Think you've got it figured out before the very end - not a chance.

Some great family fare, Aussie 'western', The Man from Snowy River . Kirk Douglas does a double role as twin brothers. All around good movie.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:52 am »
The English Patient.  Note perfect on all levels and things it attempts to portray.  Have some tea.  It's more perfect the more you see it and that's sayin something.  It's layered, and, er, note perfect.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2010, 03:52 pm »
The Tailor of Panama.  "Panama, Casa Blanca with no heroes".  Pierce Brosnan fresh from his Bond run but it's Geoffrey Rush's movie.  And the writer's.

Mr P

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2010, 05:49 pm »
"The Train" starring Burt Lancaster.  This is a black and white WW II movie filmed in 1964.  It is one of my favorite movies of all times.  Some of the greatest action sequences with trains ever filmed, in my opinion. All the actors did their own stunts.   

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #26 on: 13 Jun 2010, 07:16 pm »
Here's a few

The Man from Earth
Flawless Deniro/Hoffman
Smilla's Sense of Snow 1st half better the the 2nd but still a good view, IMHO
Black Robe
Lady in White

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 14 Jun 2010, 06:14 am »
I'm not sure if this is exactly what the thread is about, but I found the film Troy (the Brad Pitt version) to be worth a second viewing.  First time I watched it I didn't care for it at all, but for some reason I watched it again...and to my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed it that 2nd time.  I suspect the reason for this is that the first time around I nitpicked the considerable failings vs the original story.  But a year or two later I was ready to just look at the film as a loose approximation, just an action flick inspired by myth.  It stands up much better when measured by that metric.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #28 on: 16 Jun 2010, 01:40 pm »
I'm not sure if this is exactly what the thread is about, but I found the film Troy (the Brad Pitt version) to be worth a second viewing.  First time I watched it I didn't care for it at all, but for some reason I watched it again...and to my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed it that 2nd time.  I suspect the reason for this is that the first time around I nitpicked the considerable failings vs the original story.  But a year or two later I was ready to just look at the film as a loose approximation, just an action flick inspired by myth.  It stands up much better when measured by that metric.

I felt that way with Kingdom of Heaven.  Extended version IMHO was quite good were as the theatrical release, I gave up on.  The added scenes greatly improved main char development and motivation for their behavior.  Couse YMMV as it added a fair amount of dialog, not extended battle scenes.

gongos

« Reply #29 on: 16 Jun 2010, 01:48 pm »
Sorcerer

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: 16 Jun 2010, 05:03 pm »
Sorcerer

+1    The original B/W 50's version with Yves Montand, Wages of Fear, is excellent as well.

Let's add Silent Running with Bruce Dern. How could you not like Huey, Dewey, & Louey ?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #31 on: 16 Jun 2010, 05:23 pm »
"War Of The Worlds"-blu-ray version has got great sound...if you like sci-fi as I do. :green:

BobM

« Reply #32 on: 16 Jun 2010, 05:27 pm »
Just pulled out both Dr. Zhivago and Gone With the Wind from the local library. Each of these is a double nighter film so my week is full. Good to renew the appreciation of a classic once in a while.

It may be time to rent Citizen Kane - never saw the whole thing from start to finish

drphoto

« Reply #33 on: 16 Jun 2010, 09:33 pm »
If you like great cinematography, get "Days of Heaven" by Terrence Mallick. I think this one was his second film as a director and the first for......Richard Gere.

Whether you will like the story (I did) the film is beautiful. You could cut out frames and make prints and hang them as art.

Hey Jim, yeah, I loved "BS" (along w/ most anything by the Coens) and English Patient features Juliette Binoche, who, in my mind is just gorgeous. She was in the both erotic, and highly disturbing film "Damaged" along w/ Jeremy Irons, who is almost always good.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #34 on: 16 Jun 2010, 11:10 pm »
Right, and, of course, there's Raising Arizona.  Also, Miller's Crossing should not be overlooked by any movie fan who loves smart writing.

Speaking of which, Tarantino wrote the screenplay for True Romance.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jul 2010, 10:15 pm »
The Insider-  Russell Crowe, Al Pacino, etc.  Directed by Michael Mann. 

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #36 on: 4 Jul 2010, 12:03 am »
The Tailor of Panama.  "Panama, Casa Blanca with no heroes".  Pierce Brosnan fresh from his Bond run but it's Geoffrey Rush's movie.  And the writer's.

Found this at Big Lots for $3.  :thumb:

Construct

« Reply #37 on: 4 Jul 2010, 01:02 am »
Ok here are a few I dug up...
The dish- US space program that takes place in Australia--The world's fastest indian- consummate performance by Sir Anthony Hopkins as Kiwi motorcycle tinkerer that set land speed records.  Moments that made the audience cheer.--Mosquito Coast- Harrison Ford is an inventor obsessed with utopia--13th warrior:  underrated viking tale. 

ebag4

« Reply #38 on: 4 Jul 2010, 05:46 pm »
The Commitments.  One for your sound system, too.  Boy, do they get good by the end of the movie or what
Thanks for the recommendation.  Watched this for the first time last night, great flick!  Fantastic music, I really enjoyed it.

For anyone wanting to see this one NetFlix has this one for instant streaming.

Best,
Ed

ZLS

« Reply #39 on: 5 Jul 2010, 05:27 am »
    Say Amen Somebody. 
A Documentary from 1982 dealing with Gospel Music. 
The two main characters are the Reverend Thomas Dorsey (The Father of Gospel Music), and Mother Willa Mae Ford Smith.  This movie, more than any other movie I have viewed, brings home the healing power of music.