Films worth a second look . .

jimdgoulding

Films worth a second look . .
« on: 10 Feb 2010, 11:13 pm »
The original thread, least I guess it was the original, saw some love that time around.  Guess I can start another one.  Started that one.  Got a few up my sleeve but one I just saw again today is In The Bedroom.  Very good film, IMO, and with a very good cast.  One I saw again last week is Bullitt.  Ever notice the green VW and how many times it shows up in the car chase scene?  Another Peter Yates directed pre Bullitt film and way ahead of its time (opened the field for ensemble dramas) and recently released on DVD is The Friends of Eddie Coyle.  A working class crime drama in South Boston.  Recommend it to you.  What you got?
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2010, 01:36 pm by jimdgoulding »

jimdgoulding

Re: Films worth a second look . .
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2010, 05:38 pm »
Anybody remember The Seven-Ups starring Roy Scheider? Haven't seen that one in quite a long time.
I do.  Like it, too.  Think it was RS's follow up to The French Connection.  Directed by Phillip D'Antoni who produced TFC.

koyaan

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2010, 06:13 pm »
I re-watched "The Third Man" the other night and totally enjoyed it. "The Name of the Rose" remains one of my all time favorite flicks.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2010, 06:31 pm »
A fun oldie "Cherry 2000", with Melanie Griffith, and my favorite James Caan " The Killer Elite " with Robert Duval, Mako, notable others. Both seem to be running on the 'This' network this week.

A classic B&W, "Thunder Road" with Robert & James Mitchum, Gene Barry, & Keely Smith.

Thanks for bringing the thread around again jim, the first was fun & brought up some good suggestions for viewing. I'd expect no less this time.  :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2010, 06:43 pm »
Enjoyed "Duck You Sucker" ("A Fistful Of Dynamite") with James Coburn and Rod Steiger the other night.
Hardly deep, but very entertaining. One of the few "older" films that my 15 year old son actually enjoyed.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2010, 08:16 pm »
The Killer Elite is early Peckinpah.  The Name of The Rose is a fascinating original.  A murder mystery . . but in a medieval monastery?  And who and what is the detective?  Yeah, it's great all around.  Good call.

Speaking of murder mysteries, Jane Fonda in Klute won her the Oscar that year.  She owned that part.  Tough and confident as her character is, you can feel her vunerablity and terror in that scene in the end where she's about to be killed.  Killer portrayal.  She's really very good as the submissive (Jane Fonda?  Submissive?) serviceman's wife in Coming Home.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2010, 09:40 pm »
Hey speaking of Roy Scheider, one of my faves is "All That Jazz". Roy does a great turn as the megalomaniacal choreographer (based on Bob Fosse, I'd guess) who faces his own mortality. Some truly bizarre scenes.

EthanH

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2010, 10:24 pm »
I watched McCabe and Mrs. Miller last night for the first time in a few years.  Great Altman movie, with a soundtrack by Leonard Cohen (basically all the songs from Cohen's first album).

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2010, 02:22 pm »
Against All Odds-  Jeff Bridges, James Woods, etc.  Lots of intrigue and momentum.  JW bout as good as I've seen him.

Ignatius Reilly

« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2010, 09:03 pm »
I watched McCabe and Mrs. Miller last night for the first time in a few years.  Great Altman movie, with a soundtrack by Leonard Cohen (basically all the songs from Cohen's first album).

I watched McCabe and Mrs. Miller on about the same day as you - that's weird...

It is one of my favourites - the Leonard Cohen soundtrack seems a bizarre choice, but it works brilliantly - and it's a western set in the rainy pacific northwest.  It took a while for me to get into it, but it turned out to be a very strangely affecting film, and quite unlike any other. 

Another film worth seeing again is Jonathan Demme's "Melvin and Howard" - the bizarre true life story of perpetual loser Melvin Dumar's claim that he once saved a guy he found crashed on the side of a road from a motorcycle wipeout.  Turned out the stranger was Howard Hughes.  And when Howard dies, Melvin just might be in the will....

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2010, 11:31 pm »
I watched McCabe and Mrs. Miller on about the same day as you - that's weird...

It is one of my favourites - the Leonard Cohen soundtrack seems a bizarre choice, but it works brilliantly - and it's a western set in the rainy pacific northwest.  It took a while for me to get into it, but it turned out to be a very strangely affecting film, and quite unlike any other. 

Another film worth seeing again is Jonathan Demme's "Melvin and Howard" - the bizarre true life story of perpetual loser Melvin Dumar's claim that he once saved a guy he found crashed on the side of a road from a motorcycle wipeout.  Turned out the stranger was Howard Hughes.  And when Howard dies, Melvin just might be in the will....
That's a hoot.  Love that scene with the female lead stripping with her arm in a casket out in front of her at shoulder level.

"Let's Get Lost"- A biographical film about Chet Baker that I've seen 4 or 5 times.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2010, 03:46 pm »
The Commitments.  One for your sound system, too.  Boy, do they get good by the end of the movie or what

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2010, 04:34 pm »
I use the Commitments soundtrack as one of my references for that kind of music. I think it is masterfully mixed.

JackD201

« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2010, 06:11 pm »
The Commitments.  One for your sound system, too.  Boy, do they get good by the end of the movie or what

Loved that movie! Too bad Strong never made it big afterwards. Great cameo by The Corrs. I still sing Mustang Sally in the shower.

I just watched Cadillac Records again. Great performances all around as well as a great soundtrack.

I'm saving Immortal Beloved for a special occasion. Gary Oldman as a whacked out Beethoven. Classic!

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #14 on: 13 Apr 2010, 06:51 pm »
The Right Stuff, an absolutely great movie that really is awesome to watch in high def. with HT sound.

Freebie and the Bean a classic buddy cop movie.

Local Hero Burt Landcaster's last film, great subtle humor about a small Irish town about to get rich.  Mark Knopfler did the soundtrack.

Marooned A fun space movie from just before Apollo 11.

The Dish Tells the story of the satellite dish station in Australia during Apollo 11.

The Coca-Cola Kid Another Aussie movie that deals with Coke trying to penetrate the soft drink market into a valley.  Greta Scacchi is drop-dead gorgeous in it.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2010, 09:29 pm by Affordable$$Audio »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #15 on: 13 Apr 2010, 07:17 pm »
Danny Deckchair - an Australian movie based on the guy who did something similar near Los Angeles. Very entertaining, and a glimpse into a side of Australia you don't see that much - the small towns.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337960/

schw06

« Reply #16 on: 13 Apr 2010, 07:26 pm »
O Brother Where Art Thou- a fantastic movie with an equally impressive soundtrack
David

jimdgoulding

« Reply #17 on: 13 Apr 2010, 08:49 pm »
I hope to view the two Aussie movie's.  Thanks.  Sounds good.  And I'm a fan of Local Hero.  One Aussie movie I recall liking is Lantana and another about a post office bank robber hiding out in an oyster fishing community as tight as the one in Local Hero.  Can't remember the name, tho.  Really liked it.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2010, 03:47 am »
The Coen B's first, Blood Simple.  Is this the greatest mind fugue movie ever made or what!  It was a gift from my brother in law this past Saturday after I accused him of not returning the copy I loaned to him a very long time ago just to shut me up.

Demarche

« Reply #19 on: 21 Apr 2010, 05:16 am »
If you've never seen MONGOL http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416044/, it's an interesting interpretation of the story of Genghis Khan. It's a truly beautifully shot epic. It may work, IMHO, better as fiction than fact but still worth seeing.