Films worth a second look . .

Russell Dawkins

Re: Films worth a second look . .
« Reply #40 on: 5 Jul 2010, 07:08 am »
    Say Amen Somebody. 
A Documentary from 1982 dealing with Gospel Music. 
The two main characters are the Reverend Thomas Dorsey (The Father of Gospel Music), and Mother Willa Mae Ford Smith.  This movie, more than any other movie I have viewed, brings home the healing power of music.

Amen to that! I stumbled upon this movie years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

brief O/T - for anyone liking this music check out the Golden Gate Jubilee Quartet "Jezebel": http://tinyurl.com/345wdcn

navi

« Reply #41 on: 5 Jul 2010, 09:12 am »
Michael Heneke films:

Cache (hidden) - one of the most brilliant films i've seen in years
Piano teacher - I can't get the  peep show scene out of my head .... super gross.
Funny Games  - Watch either the US or Euro version.

Waiting to see White Ribbon
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=michael+heneke

jimdgoulding

« Reply #42 on: 25 Jul 2010, 04:02 pm »
You might have missed this the first time around, it didn't do well at the box office I don't think.  Public Enemies is directed by Michael Mann whose movies include The Insider and Heat and a slew of others.  Featured are Johnny Depp as John Dillinger and the Best Actress from a few years ago in the biopic about Edith Piaf, Marion Cottillard.  She is very good in this to me.  Good call, MM.  Melvin Purvis is played by Christian Bale, no accolades here, but get a load of Billy Cruddup as J Edgar Hoover.  There are a lot of famaliar faces in supporting roles.  I enjoyed this.

drphoto

« Reply #43 on: 6 Aug 2010, 05:01 am »
I went back and looked at the pilot from a TV show I used to enjoy called "Dead Like Me". I thought it still holds up pretty well. Now I don't know if anyone would consider it a great program (it only lasted 2 seasons I think) but I admire the fact they tried to tackle a pretty heady subject....death and the meaning of life. Available on Hulu.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #44 on: 6 Aug 2010, 05:10 am »
drphoto,
I loved that show, especially the idea the the reapers had no more of a clue about the afterlife than anyone else.

denjo

« Reply #45 on: 6 Aug 2010, 05:30 am »
John Houston's Casablanca (with Bogey & Baccall), The Mission, Cinema Paradiso, The Untouchables

drphoto

« Reply #46 on: 6 Aug 2010, 06:12 am »
Since I brought up TV series (not sure if that's legal)

The Wire. IMHO the best one of the best shows ever on TV (or anywhere else.....they can't do this in movies)

The Sopranos got all the accolades, but The Wire was friggin' brilliant. It worked on so many levels. It was telling a good entertaining story, but it was tellling so much more about what goes on in the dark side of society.

Great writing.

Everyone thinks of actors, but great shows are based on writing. It's why they still do Shakeseare and Tennesse Williams.

However, I do think The Wire had an amazing ensamble cast.

jazzcourier

« Reply #47 on: 6 Aug 2010, 02:40 pm »
Ditto on "Public Enemies" ! I watched that one again recently and it was a convincing and penetrating film,not to mention it was shot entirely using digital cameras.The clarity and definition of the picture is amazing.Would pay to see this again on the big screen .Ditto on "The Wire" -it is rare to find a series that is complex in plots,rich in characters and absorbing at every turn.Even with all the balls this show throws in the air the writers bring them all back and line them up in the box.It is currently being re-run in hi def on Ion channel via Direct TV.I bought the entire series and plan to sit and watch them all again in order.That being said,i came upon a random episode the other night and could not take myself away from it.It was a scene where one of the drug dealers was going off on one of his "runners" about treating the "customers" with a little more "respect".I always like to applaud ambition when it delivers.

sts9fan

« Reply #48 on: 6 Aug 2010, 04:48 pm »
IMO The Wire is the best show I have ever watched.  Season 5 is a little meh but the others more then make up for it. 

"I got the shotgun. You got the briefcase. It's all in the game, though, right?"
-Omar Little

bside123

« Reply #49 on: 6 Aug 2010, 05:07 pm »
Blade Runner

shep

« Reply #50 on: 6 Aug 2010, 06:50 pm »
"Das Boot" German submarine anti-war movie from the 80's. The uncut version is so harrowing I defy anyone to sit thru it and not have to stop for air! Also from the same period, "The Singing Detective"; a brilliant BBC production. Simply wonderful.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #51 on: 26 Aug 2010, 05:49 pm »
Probably nominated this one already, but each time I see it I like it more.  Very nuanced movie from the camera work, editing, performances, to you name it.  It is as tho everyone involved wanted this to be an important movie.  Music by Dead Can Dance alum and a hip edit of Massive Attack's Safe From Harm.  Michael Mann's The Insider.

lcrim

« Reply #52 on: 26 Aug 2010, 07:16 pm »
"The Professionals"
I've watched this more than a few times.  Not as gritty as "The Wild Bunch" or as iconic as "The Magnificent Seven" but a great western.  Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin and Robert Ryan portray their usual screen personas as the bad guys with hearts of gold.  Stunning cinematography of the Southwest and great, almost nonstop action and a twist that makes this yarn thoroughly appealing.  Also appealing is Claudia Cardinale as the supposedly kidnapped wife that is the central reason for this chase western.
Richard Brooks directed it, Conrad Hall did the spectacular cinematography.  Jack Palance is very good as the "kidnapping" Mexican bandit.  Ralph Bellamy is believable as the wealthy husband who hires the team to get his wife back.  Woody Strode helps out. 
To me, the cinematography and Claudia Cardinale are simply gorgeous.  Maurice Jarre's score is awful and the dialogue is predictable but the actors are first rate and its one of Lancaster's great performances up there w/ "The Leopard."  Worth a second look.

mjosef

« Reply #53 on: 26 Aug 2010, 10:36 pm »
Hell yeah...the Wire, my vote for best Series...followed closely by The Shield.

The Professionals was one of my fav. westerns back in the 70's...saw it again a couple times on cable in the last month...Claudia Cardinale always does the almost perfect female role for that era...loved her in 'Once upon a time in the West', my all time fav. western.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #54 on: 29 Aug 2010, 12:00 am »
Stalag 17 - probably the most unique 'war' film I have seen with its Dark Comedy flavor...and I think it still holds up well today.

Play It Again, Sam - Woody Allen - If you would call this a 'Romantic Comedy' it's certainly nothing like the typically cheezy stuff being churned out of Hollywood these days. Woody's performance is excellent and there are so many great one-liners in this film you may start to lose count. Plus Diane Keaton was kind of a little hottie back in '72. Good times. :D
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2010, 02:26 pm by Larkston Zinaspic »

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #55 on: 29 Aug 2010, 12:24 am »
The English Patient.  Note perfect on all levels and things it attempts to portray.  Have some tea.  It's more perfect the more you see it and that's sayin something.  It's layered, and, er, note perfect.

... Agreed, and LOVE THE SOUNDTRACK.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #56 on: 29 Aug 2010, 01:50 am »
+1 for Das Boot, the ending kills me.

How about a little Ford-Wayne collaboration called "The Searchers ".

EthanH

« Reply #57 on: 29 Aug 2010, 04:49 pm »
Agreed that The Wire is probably be the best television series ever made.  It's certainly the best one I've ever seen. 

The BBC Television series of LeCarre's "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" is also good, as is "Smiley's People."

A good movie I watched recently was "Mishima:  A Life in Four Chapters."  Great movie, written and directed by Paul Schrader with music by Philip Glass.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #58 on: 29 Aug 2010, 05:05 pm »
Yeah, Paul Schrader is a favorite writer of Scorcese.  Think Taxi Driver.  One that came and went rather quickly 10 or so years ago is Four Days in The Valley written and directed by Paul Masurskey (if I spelled that right writing and directing). Charise Theron's first American appearance as contract killer James Spader's girfriend.  It's a diamond in the rough.  Speaking of Spader, Jack's Back featuring him is an entertaining mystery.     

Charles Calkins

« Reply #59 on: 29 Aug 2010, 05:18 pm »
   The Best Years of Our Lives.

Probably the best movie Hollywood ever made.

Cheers
                                   Charlie