Films worth a second look . .

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Films worth a second look . .
« Reply #120 on: 25 Jun 2012, 03:57 am »

Open Range - one of he most under appreciated Westerns. The way it slowly builds to it's inevitable confrontation is (purposely) slow, but well done.  Anyone that doubts Costner's acting ability should check this out. His transformation from cow hand to his former self with a 'past' is pretty darn impressive.

Watched it today....a good one....thanks! :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #121 on: 9 Jul 2012, 03:00 am »
Saw Copland on the IFC channel tonite.  One of the few real roles Sly Stallone ever got and it looks like he put on some seriuos weight for it.  It stands the test of time.  It's very good.  If you ever see this, make a note, listen to the music.  Some of the best film music ever, imo.  Very somber and elegant.  Ya'll be cool.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #122 on: 10 Jul 2012, 10:54 am »
I must have posted this before now.  At the risk of being redundant, ya'll should check out Montana with Kyra Sedgewick and a cast of inept criminals (except for Nick, her crime partner) as a hitwoman and heroine and Thick as Thieves with Alec Baldwin and Andre Braugher with some witty writing and hilarious characters.  Black comedies and diamonds in the rough don't get much better than these!     

persisting1

mick wolfe

« Reply #124 on: 15 Jul 2013, 04:05 am »
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I saw Network again a few years back and really enjoyed it the second time around. Didn't feel that dated as I remember.

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
« Reply #125 on: 15 Jul 2013, 04:14 am »
Cool thread! ...I'll be back! :cool:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #126 on: 18 Aug 2013, 09:08 pm »
Playing on cable recently, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.  Hardly an action thriller, but you'd have to have a hole in your sole not to appreciate the writing, the characters, the performances, and wit of this note perfect slice of life movie.  It's sentimental, but wickedly funny in places, too.  A big Bravo for this effort.       

jimdgoulding

« Reply #127 on: 26 Feb 2014, 11:42 pm »
I must have posted this before now.  At the risk of being redundant, ya'll should check out Montana with Kyra Sedgewick and a cast of inept criminals (except for Nick, her crime partner) as a hitwoman and heroine and Thick as Thieves with Alec Baldwin and Andre Braugher with some witty writing and hilarious characters.  Black comedies and diamonds in the rough don't get much better than these!     
Thought I would dredge this topic up cause of one I watched on the TV today . . The Year of Living Dangerously is excellent.  Another that came to mind cause it took place in the same part of the world is The Quiet American.  It, too, is very good.

Anybody see Buitiful with Javier Bardem?  Filmed in Barcelona with sub-titles.  If you didn't know he is very fine actor, you will if you see this.  Sad story but excellent writing with meaty characters.

stlrman

« Reply #128 on: 27 Feb 2014, 12:44 am »
Buitiful was awesome!! Sad, powerful,emotional. He is on of my favorite actors!

jazzcourier

« Reply #129 on: 27 Feb 2014, 01:49 am »
The recent Criterion Blu Ray release of Michael Mann's 1981 Neo realist noir thriller- "Thief". To call this a neglected masterpiece might be just my admiration for this delicious film, and the spot on bristling acting by James Caan and Tuesday Weld.Excellent supporting roles from James Belushi,in his first film,and a cameo from Willie Nelson, as a dying convict and mentor to the Caan character.
All the bank vault break in scenes were done with the actors using real tools and there is plenty of American steel being driven around reminding us just how wonderful the seventies were to the automobile.I can't leave out the villain,played perfectly by Robert Prosky.It is a memorable portrait of a sinister,suburban gangster,though the film revolves around it's Chicago locale and don't be surprised to see the Blues giant Willie Dixon fishing,or the Mighty Joe Young Blues Band cranking it out in a nightclub scene.The Tangerine Dream score drones through the tension filled scenes. This is one movie that has guts and soul and,i fear,might look a little dated to some who have never bruised their knuckles or tasted blood.Live a little through this film,it is a great one.

persisting1

« Reply #130 on: 27 Feb 2014, 08:46 pm »
The recent Criterion Blu Ray release of Michael Mann's 1981 Neo realist noir thriller- "Thief". To call this a neglected masterpiece might be just my admiration for this delicious film, and the spot on bristling acting by James Caan and Tuesday Weld.Excellent supporting roles from James Belushi,in his first film,and a cameo from Willie Nelson, as a dying convict and mentor to the Caan character.
All the bank vault break in scenes were done with the actors using real tools and there is plenty of American steel being driven around reminding us just how wonderful the seventies were to the automobile.I can't leave out the villain,played perfectly by Robert Prosky.It is a memorable portrait of a sinister,suburban gangster,though the film revolves around it's Chicago locale and don't be surprised to see the Blues giant Willie Dixon fishing,or the Mighty Joe Young Blues Band cranking it out in a nightclub scene.The Tangerine Dream score drones through the tension filled scenes. This is one movie that has guts and soul and,i fear,might look a little dated to some who have never bruised their knuckles or tasted blood.Live a little through this film,it is a great one.

Nice review for a great film.

On the topic of thievery, two great films come to mind; Paper Moon and The Bicycle Thief

oledude

« Reply #131 on: 3 Mar 2014, 10:41 pm »
I second the nods for Thank You for Smoking and Most Exotic Marigold Hotel.  Great films all.

I recently screened John Waters' Serial Mom and Galaxy Quest for friends and they both held up well for me.  I also like Serenity, Slither, and The Watchmen whenever I need a good Sci Fi escape.

dougme57

« Reply #132 on: 5 Mar 2014, 06:17 pm »
Finally watched the full version of Once Upon a Time in America and was blown away. One of those movies that leave you thinking about it for days.

I mentioned in the cinema thread I watched the new True Grit with my 13 year old daughter, wow I love that movie!

Flashman

• Devialet Expert 220 Pro and Vivd Oval 1.5s
« Reply #133 on: 5 Mar 2014, 08:23 pm »

Just picked up Michael Mann's "Collateral" with a terrific cat and mouse game from Tom Cruise (yeah, he's really good in this film) and Jamie Foxx (equally good in a masterfully underplayed way).  The film was shot in hi-def video and transferred to film.  As Mann says in his audio comments on this film, the video perfectly captures Los Angeles at night.  There are not many directors who can choreograph action like Mann does. 

Flashman

« Reply #134 on: 5 Mar 2014, 08:35 pm »
The Killer Elite is early Peckinpah.  The Name of The Rose is a fascinating original.  A murder mystery . . but in a medieval monastery?  And who and what is the detective?  Yeah, it's great all around.  Good call.

Speaking of murder mysteries, Jane Fonda in Klute won her the Oscar that year.  She owned that part.  Tough and confident as her character is, you can feel her vunerablity and terror in that scene in the end where she's about to be killed.  Killer portrayal.  She's really very good as the submissive (Jane Fonda?  Submissive?) serviceman's wife in Coming Home.

Speaking of Peckinpah, who directed my all-time favorite Western, "The Wild Bunch," did anyone ever see his bit part in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"? 

Flashman

« Reply #135 on: 5 Mar 2014, 08:36 pm »
Finally watched the full version of Once Upon a Time in America and was blown away. One of those movies that leave you thinking about it for days.

I mentioned in the cinema thread I watched the new True Grit with my 13 year old daughter, wow I love that movie!
The score of "Once Upon a Time in America" is fantastic, too, by the masterful Ennio Morricone.  I live in Europe and hope to catch his concert en plein air in Tuscany on July 22.

Scott F.

« Reply #136 on: 5 Mar 2014, 08:39 pm »
Just picked up Michael Mann's "Collateral" with a terrific cat and mouse game from Tom Cruise (yeah, he's really good in this film) and Jamie Foxx (equally good in a masterfully underplayed way).  The film was shot in hi-def video and transferred to film.  As Mann says in his audio comments on this film, the video perfectly captures Los Angeles at night.  There are not many directors who can choreograph action like Mann does.

I forgot about Collateral. What a great movie. We'll have to pull it out tonight and give it another watch  :thumb:

Flashman

« Reply #137 on: 5 Mar 2014, 08:46 pm »
"The Train" starring Burt Lancaster.  This is a black and white WW II movie filmed in 1964.  It is one of my favorite movies of all times.  Some of the greatest action sequences with trains ever filmed, in my opinion. All the actors did their own stunts.
Love "The Train."  Directed by John Frankenheimer who cut his teeth on TV and then went on to do some fantastic films.  Of course, the original "The Manchurian Candidate" is a classic.  Terrific scene when Angela Lansbury kisses Laurence Harvey, her son in the film, full on the lips.  Wonder how that went over in '62.  He also did "Grand Prix" with its great racing cinematography.  Probably my favorite film of his is one he did later in life, "Ronin," which was set in France.  Frankenheimer actually spoke French and loved coming to the country.  Since he loved cars and car racing, he made sure this film had some great racing set pieces.  Worth the film alone to see the chases.

Flashman

« Reply #138 on: 5 Mar 2014, 09:05 pm »
... and a great soundtrack!

Yep, that soundtrack is by Ennio Morricone again, who also did "Once Upon a Time in America."  Probably worth starting a thread on the great film composers of all time.  Max Steiner ("King Kong"), Erich Wolfgang Korngold ("The Adventures of Robin Hood"), Alfred Newman ("Captain from Castille" and nominated 45 times -- not a misprint -- for an Academy Award), Bernard Hermann (same guy who did "7th Voyage of Sinbad" AND most of the great Hitchcock films!), Elmer Bernstein ("To Kill a Mockingbird" AND "The Magnificent Seven") and on and on.  And by the way, I am still annoyed that Randy Newman (yeah, same guy who did "Short People") did not get an Academy Award for his wonderful score to "The Natural" (it went to Maurice Jarre for "Passage to India").  Sorry, I am biased here.

Flashman

« Reply #139 on: 5 Mar 2014, 09:21 pm »
I am a big fan of Orson Welles.  If none of you have seen "Touch of Evil" (1958) then run, don't walk, to find a copy.  Besides being a great movie, it has arguably the most scintillating opening shot in film history.  And the movie studio ran credits over it!  It is a spellbinding tracking shot that begins with a guy putting a bomb in the trunk of a car, and then the camera tracks the car in a serpentine fashion as it approaches a border crossing between Mexico and the United States.  (Reportedly, the guy who played the customs agent was so unnerved by the lengthy tracking shot that he blew his one line.  Welles simply dubbed it in.)  The film has so many great performers and performances, starting with Orson Welles, then continuing with Marlene Dietrich, Akim Tamiroff, Janet Leigh, Joseph Calleia, Dennis Weaver (doing a role that Tony Perkins seemed to adapt for "Psycho"), Mercedes McCambridge, Zsa Zsa Gabor and Charlton Heston (sporting a ridiculous pencil-thin mustache).