pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Re: Films worth a second look . .
« Reply #60 on: 29 Aug 2010, 08:38 pm »
Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N. (1951)  starring Gregory Peck and Virginia Mayo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #61 on: 9 Oct 2010, 01:25 pm »
Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde.  If you were going to movies when this was released, you know this was avant garde cinema.  Still is quite an accomplishment.

low.pfile

« Reply #62 on: 10 Oct 2010, 06:11 am »
I had to give TRON a second look to prepare for the winter release of TRON Legacy movie. I am not much of a sci-fi guy, but nostalgia for the 80s I guess.

And I have to say that TRON(1982) has to be one of the darkest Disney movies I can remember.

soundtrack by London Philharmonic Orchestra and Journey!!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #63 on: 10 Oct 2010, 06:22 am »
Kubrick, Kubrick, Kubrick!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #64 on: 10 Oct 2010, 06:28 am »
Lumet, Lumet, Lumet!

Tyson

« Reply #65 on: 10 Oct 2010, 06:30 am »
Michelangeli, Michelangeli, Michelangeli!!

To which I would add:

Fellini, Fellini, Fellini!!

Awesome man, I love that you (Windchaser) appreciate the older films!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tyson

« Reply #66 on: 10 Oct 2010, 06:32 am »
And, I'd add that I am personally on an Ozu kick right now, since I recently discovered that my local library has a boatload of Criterion Collection DVD's (thank you Denver Public Library!!!!)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #67 on: 10 Oct 2010, 06:35 am »
Granted, not everything Lumet did was grand... but Dog Day Afternoon, Prince of the City and The Verdict are among my all time favorite films.  I was hoping for more from Bryan Singer after the Usual Suspects, but I think a good measure of that success came from Christopher McQuarrie's brilliant screenplay. 

Tyson

« Reply #68 on: 10 Oct 2010, 06:44 am »
I never saw Dog Day.  I guess I had an issue with Pacino doing a gay bank robber.  Not the gay part, but the idea of Pacino pulling it off convincingly. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #69 on: 10 Oct 2010, 07:43 am »
DDA is a timeless masterpiece based on a true story.  It is one of Pacino’s best films.  The film does not dwell on his sexuality / orientation, in fact it isn't even revealed until well into the film. 

Tyson

« Reply #70 on: 10 Oct 2010, 09:22 am »
How crazy is it that one of the best versions of Hamlet I've seen is the 2000 version with Ethan Hawke, Bill Murray, Julia Stiles, and a very modern setting, with "Denmark" being a corporation, and "Elsinore" being a hotel?

Actually, as I watch this, I wonder if Hamlet is actually a sociopath.  Clearly this is someone that acts without a conscience, murders several people, and discards people he holds dear without a second thought.  Shakespeare clearly dabbled in the idea of a sociopathic main character in Othello (Iago being the prime mover) and Macbeth.  Perhaps Hamlet is just a better disguised variation on this same theme.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #71 on: 10 Oct 2010, 05:56 pm »
Lumet, Lumet, Lumet!

Mel Brooks!  Mel Brooks!  Mel Brooks!   :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #72 on: 21 Oct 2010, 05:46 am »
Haven't seen that, Ty, but hope to.

This didn't do very well with critics, I suppose, or the box office.  But, having seen it bout 4 times on cable, I think it is pretty strong on most accounts (that matter to me, anyways).  And it's all so intense.  So far as I can see, the acting is high caliber.  And so is the writing/story.  Stars Colin Farrell, Jon Voight and Ed Norton.  Some of the best work I've seen from Jon Voight.  CF, too.  "Pride and Glory" is it's name, I think.

koyaan

« Reply #73 on: 21 Oct 2010, 04:14 pm »
One my wife and I keep going back to is the remake of "Thomas Crowne Affair"
. It's worth the re-view if only for the scene with Nina Simone singing "Sinner Man".

werd

« Reply #74 on: 21 Oct 2010, 04:17 pm »
"Revenge of the Nerds"

"NERDS, I HATE NERDS!!!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #75 on: 27 Nov 2010, 09:20 pm »
Up In The Air.  A very different kind of story and made with a lot of charm.

tomwhite

« Reply #76 on: 15 Dec 2010, 09:18 pm »
I'd give a second look to "The prince of persia"
I always been a lover of POP games, and this time they came up with the movie.. Interesting story.   

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #77 on: 16 Dec 2010, 03:49 am »
May I offer............

Hitchcock, Hitchcock, Hitchcock  &   Huston, Huston, Huston  :thumb:

nodiak

« Reply #78 on: 22 Dec 2010, 02:53 am »
Summer of 42. Saw that recently after many years (decades). When it came out in 1971 I was about the age of the main character and was intensely focused on the same thing he was - Jennifer O'Neill! But watching it now I appreciated the story, behavior and emotions that were portrayed so well. The teenagers are a crack up! "The coffee is exquisite!"
Now I think it's time to dig up The Sailer Who Fell From Grace With The Sea for another look.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #79 on: 22 Dec 2010, 04:31 am »
Summer of 42. Saw that recently after many years (decades). When it came out in 1971 I was about the age of the main character and was intensely focused on the same thing he was - Jennifer O'Neill! But watching it now I appreciated the story, behavior and emotions that were portrayed so well. The teenagers are a crack up! "The coffee is exquisite!"
Now I think it's time to dig up The Sailer Who Fell From Grace With The Sea for another look.
Good call.