Owner Impressions, Delivery Times and Things to Do While You Wait

vintagebob

Re: A Place to Salk While Waiting
« Reply #200 on: 4 Sep 2009, 05:18 am »
Welcome aboard Sedah.  That sounds like a nice system.  Do you HAVE to tease with the veneer?!  :green:

What will you use to drive that small "forest"?   What do you need to get done before they show up?

Ok...let's get this thread back on track. 

Bob,
A small forest?  That is so funny.  I hope you don't mind if I tuck that away in my memory bank for use at a later date. 

Sedah,
You have the beginnings of a great system.

I was thinking that "funny" just might be the pictures of us trying to haul my HT2-TLs up into your attic for our little Salk Comparo.  ; )

Maybe your new DAC will be broken in by the time I get the speakers?

vintagebob

« Reply #201 on: 4 Sep 2009, 05:41 am »
OK guys, help me out with some DAC info please.  Nuance made a comment about adding a DAC to my Airport Express (I thought he only talked about Salk speakers :roll:).  How would I add a DAC to my system listed below?

Take Toslink out of the Airport Express (AE) to an Inday Switcher and then SPDIF out to the DAC (assume AVA Ultra DAC?) and from there into the SC-05 AVR?  Something like that? Run the OPPO to the same switcher?  I would still have to use HDMI out of the OPPO for all of the multi-channel music.

Then what do I do for a preamp?  This is an evil hobby.   :green:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #202 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:17 am »
Yes, the digital output of the Airport Express would feed into a digital input on the Inday.  The two channel digital output from the OPPO could also feed into a digital input on the Inday.  If you don't want to select from two digital sources, you could buy a less expensive toslink to digital coax converter (monoprice for 11.81) for the Airport express.  You will also need a 3.00 toslink to 3.5mm adapter.  The digital output from the Inday would feed into the DAC's digital coax input, and the DAC's analog output would feed into your preamp's analog input.  If your receiver has analog inputs, use those.  Otherwise, you would need a preamp, I believe.  My preamp is the soul of my system, and I think that everyone should have a preamp.   :lol:  Actually, if you have a receiver, you have a preamp, albeit maybe not a great preamp, built into the receiver.  I haven't owned a receiver in 30 years, since quadraphonic sound (to go with my quadraphonic turntable with quadraphonic cartridge and my quad of speakers).  To me, a receiver is a tuner, preamp, and amp built into one box.  I think that they have become a lot more complicated since I last looked at one.

Nuance

« Reply #203 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:18 am »
First things first,

Thanks all for the support.  I don't know how my enthusiasm on this forum caused such a stir, but if I did anything wrong I apologize.  I really do have other interests and hobby's, such as cars, IT, my family (duh) and many others.  Concerning audio/video, I love music, beefy power amps, transparent preamps, words like "transparent," plasma TV's, 10-lumen technology, oversampling DAC's, tweaking, tinkering, good looking speakers, etc, etc.  I think you get the point.  :D  Mike, I take no offense, even if offense was intended.  If you'd like to find out more about me all you had to do was ask.   :lol:  No hard feelings man. 

Secondly, I like the idea of getting back on track.  What was said is done, and its in the past.  I take no offense (God knows I've said some things I didn't mean, or that I shouldn't have), so lets move forward. 

vintagebob,

Sounds like you've got it right buddy.  From the DAC you'll run analogs to the SC-05.  If you want to run a preamp for 2-channel things get a little more complicated, but in short you'd run everything the same way (I think...it's late so I need to re-read this post in the morning), but instead of running the analogs from the DAC to the SC-05, you'd run them to the preamp, then use the preamp's HT bypass (something I highly suggest as a necessary feature on the preamp) to the SC-05's preouts.  This allows the signal to be passed along unmolested when the preamp is in bypass mode or when it's powered off. 

As for multi-channel music using HDMI, I have no clue.  Do they make DAC's with HDMI connections yet?  If not you'd just have to use your receiver without a DAC for multi-channel.   

I hope that made sense.  I'm dead tired and off to bed. 

P.S.  What's the Inday switcher for? 

K Shep

« Reply #204 on: 4 Sep 2009, 01:32 pm »
OK guys, help me out with some DAC info please.  Nuance made a comment about adding a DAC to my Airport Express (I thought he only talked about Salk speakers :roll:).  How would I add a DAC to my system listed below?

Take Toslink out of the Airport Express (AE) to an Inday Switcher and then SPDIF out to the DAC (assume AVA Ultra DAC?) and from there into the SC-05 AVR?  Something like that? Run the OPPO to the same switcher?  I would still have to use HDMI out of the OPPO for all of the multi-channel music.

Then what do I do for a preamp?  This is an evil hobby.   :green:

IMO Toslink is poor quality.  Forgive the broad brush statement, but I would recommend Coax Digital over Toslink.  With that said an Airport Express is USB and a digital out only.  It sounds like oneinthepipe has experience with the application.

I just purchased an Airport Express and intend to utilize it as a distributed audio hub for music in an other area of my house (my Mac Mini is up in the attic).  I am researching the best way to setup the Express.  Sonics are the most important issue.  I plan to use the USB out to a integrated amp with USB, like the Peachtree Nova.  I will be in touch Bob.

Kirk 

K Shep

« Reply #205 on: 4 Sep 2009, 01:37 pm »
I just checked out the Inday switcher.  Perfect, Toslink to SPDIF (digital coax). 

K Shep

« Reply #206 on: 4 Sep 2009, 01:46 pm »
I really do have other interests and hobby's...

I used to have other interests, this damn hobby is all consuming for me.  My Golf game is out the window and my surf board has a one inch thick layer of dust.  Now I am putting together a small system that will live in my kitchen while I cook (another hobby) so I am able to listen to music while I slice onions.

jazzcat1

« Reply #207 on: 4 Sep 2009, 01:50 pm »
Hey Bob, you really don't need a preamp as your Pioneer receiver would work. Just plug the DAC analog output to an analog input like the CD input next to the phono input on back.

mathgeek97

« Reply #208 on: 4 Sep 2009, 03:20 pm »
I'm happy with ALAC files -> Airport Express -> Toslink cable -> Denon 3808CI receiver (iPhone remote).
However, would I see an improvement (less jitter?) using
Airport Express -> Toslink cable -> SPDIF Converter -> Denon 3808CI receiver?

As as aside... WAF being what it is, I keep blocking 1st reflections on my wooden floor by pulling out the ottoman on the left side and throwing a bamboo blanket down on the floor on the right side.  It helps, and wife still gets to see her nice cherry floors when I'm done.  I sooooooo need a dedicated room. :)

Nuance

« Reply #209 on: 4 Sep 2009, 04:00 pm »
  I sooooooo need a dedicated room. :)
+1

vintagebob

« Reply #210 on: 4 Sep 2009, 05:55 pm »
Thanks for all the great replies to my DAC/Airport Express question.

It was pointed out to me in the AVA circle that I could take the "digital source out" from my AVR and run that into a DAC/Preamp combo and then just use the AVR for switching the source.  I might try that.  I was concerned that if I put a DAC between the Airport Express and the AVR that the AVR preamp would immediately become the weak link in the system.

K Shep

« Reply #211 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:20 pm »
It depends on what your end goal is.  You have one of the highest quality receivers on the market.  IMO a receiver is best suited for an HT set up utilizing the 5.1 or 7.1 functionality of the receiver.  The room eq on my Denon makes a huge difference in my HT setup. 

If your goal is to setup a computer front end for music, and get the best possible 2 channel setup in the same room as your HT then it would benefit you to consider mixing in a preamp.  One with HT bypass. 

Are you considering adding a DAC/preamp combo like a Benchmark or Bel Canto? I don't know if those products have the bypass option. 

Kirk

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #212 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:34 pm »
Isn't a preamp's tape output loop essentially an HT bypass? 

The AVA gear has synergy.  Since you have an AVA amp and are considering an AVA DAC, I would suggest looking at the AVA preamps.  Additionally, AVA is a custom shop (limited to the chassis and chassis color).  If asked, Frank will install two phono boards (of different models, even)in a preamp, for example, or he will install a phase inverter bridge in a preamp.  These options aren't necessarily advertised, but if you ask....   Also, with AVA, Frank offers a choice of tube, hybrid, or solid state components across a large portion of the product line.  While the components are voiced the same, there are distinctions between tube, hybrid, and solid state products, and because Frank builds each component as ordered, a customer could purchase a Transcendence 8 (tube) preamp with an Insight (solid state) phono board, for example.

The T8 preamp won TAS's Editors' Choice Award.

vintagebob

« Reply #213 on: 4 Sep 2009, 07:22 pm »
OK, I think we're closing in on it.

OPPO/Airport Express to Inday switch to AVA Ultra DAC to Parasound 2100 preamp w/bypass for HT use?

Nuance

« Reply #214 on: 4 Sep 2009, 08:59 pm »
Isn't a preamp's tape output loop essentially an HT bypass? 

The AVA gear has synergy.  Since you have an AVA amp and are considering an AVA DAC, I would suggest looking at the AVA preamps.  Additionally, AVA is a custom shop (limited to the chassis and chassis color).  If asked, Frank will install two phono boards (of different models, even)in a preamp, for example, or he will install a phase inverter bridge in a preamp.  These options aren't necessarily advertised, but if you ask....   Also, with AVA, Frank offers a choice of tube, hybrid, or solid state components across a large portion of the product line.  While the components are voiced the same, there are distinctions between tube, hybrid, and solid state products, and because Frank builds each component as ordered, a customer could purchase a Transcendence 8 (tube) preamp with an Insight (solid state) phono board, for example.

The T8 preamp won TAS's Editors' Choice Award.

A big +1 on everything said here.

As far as the tape loop, yes it can be used, but the volume knob would have to be set to the same spot every time, and the preamp would have to be on in order for it to work.  The convenience of having HT bypass is being able to keep the preamp powered off, not to mention the volume of the preamp has nothing to do with the signal with a true bypass.  The tape loop just can't accommodate the convenience factor that a true bypass can.  It's also possible (someone who's more qualified to answer this can and should) that the SQ will be worse.

Nuance

« Reply #215 on: 4 Sep 2009, 09:04 pm »
OK, I think we're closing in on it.

OPPO/Airport Express to Inday switch to AVA Ultra DAC to Parasound 2100 preamp w/bypass for HT use?
That's correct.  Then run the "bypass" analogs from the preamp's "bypass" connections to the SC-05's "preout" connections.  The cool thing about the 2100 is it also has dual analog subwoofer outs and bypasses.  So you can use your subwoofer for music!  I love that part!  :)

Kokishin

• Cirroc: Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
« Reply #216 on: 5 Sep 2009, 12:04 am »
What's it to you?  Nuance is OK.  If you don't like his posts, then don't read them.  As far as other interests, I know he operates a hair salon in Tokyo.

Nuance,
you have 712 posts

711 for salk

do you have any other interests?

Not to be a pain but mixing it up could be fun!
reminds me of those av123 automatons
come into the pool ...the water's fine

Mike

Nuance

« Reply #217 on: 5 Sep 2009, 12:34 am »
What's it to you?  Nuance is OK.  If you don't like his posts, then don't read them.  As far as other interests, I know he operates a hair salon in Tokyo.

Nuance,
you have 712 posts

711 for salk

do you have any other interests?

Not to be a pain but mixing it up could be fun!
reminds me of those av123 automatons
come into the pool ...the water's fine

Mike
LMAO!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #218 on: 5 Sep 2009, 03:02 am »
Nuance is OK. ...  I know he operates a hair salon in Tokyo.

There is a rumor that massage is also available.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #219 on: 5 Sep 2009, 03:04 am »
Nuance is OK. ...  I know he operates a hair salon in Tokyo.

There is a rumor that massage is also available.
Is that with a "happy ending".... :jester: