Owner Impressions, Delivery Times and Things to Do While You Wait

sedah

Re: A Place to Salk While Waiting
« Reply #180 on: 2 Sep 2009, 11:04 pm »
Sedah,

Welcome to the Club!  Which Salk speaker did you order?

A pair of STRTs, an SCRT, two pairs of SSIs, and a SongSub... as to veneer, I'll leave it for Jim to show off when the order is done... should be pretty awesome...

Though the anticipation may be killing me.  :drool:

vintagebob

« Reply #181 on: 3 Sep 2009, 12:57 am »
Welcome aboard Sedah.  That sounds like a nice system.  Do you HAVE to tease with the veneer?!  :green:

What will you use to drive that small "forest"?   What do you need to get done before they show up?

Nuance

« Reply #182 on: 3 Sep 2009, 01:17 am »
Sedah,

Welcome to the Club!  Which Salk speaker did you order?

A pair of STRTs, an SCRT, two pairs of SSIs, and a SongSub... as to veneer, I'll leave it for Jim to show off when the order is done... should be pretty awesome...

Though the anticipation may be killing me.  :drool:
Oh yeah - it's a Salk overload!  Sweet!  I look forward to pics and impressions. 

topround

« Reply #183 on: 3 Sep 2009, 01:30 am »
Nuance,
you have 712 posts

711 for salk

do you have any other interests?

Not to be a pain but mixing it up could be fun!
reminds me of those av123 automatons
come into the pool ...the water's fine

Mike

stereodad

« Reply #184 on: 3 Sep 2009, 02:05 am »
Nuance
  I hope you post another 700 posts here.Do not let somebody with nothing better todo stop your fun

Larry

Nuance

« Reply #185 on: 3 Sep 2009, 02:11 am »
Nuance,
you have 712 posts

711 for salk

Mike
Wow, I hadn't realized it was that many.  Yes, I do have other interests, most of which I post about over at AVS forum.  I hope I'm not annoying anyone.

Thanks Stereodad - you're too kind.  :)

TJHUB

« Reply #186 on: 3 Sep 2009, 02:58 am »
Nuance,
you have 712 posts

711 for salk

Mike
Wow, I hadn't realized it was that many.  Yes, I do have other interests, most of which I post about over at AVS forum.  I hope I'm not annoying anyone.

Thanks Stereodad - you're too kind.  :)

Mike: 

I realize Nuance seems single minded, but I can assure you he is not.  We email all the time and even talk on the phone about many things audio that are not about Salk.  But of course all of those other conversations are for feeding our Salk's that absolute best we can.  :wink: :thumb:

P.S.  Don't tell anyone...but Nuance has probably over 3,000 Salk related posts on AVS...  :shh:

Nuance

« Reply #187 on: 3 Sep 2009, 04:41 pm »
P.S.  Don't tell anyone...but Nuance has probably over 3,000 Salk related posts on AVS...  :shh:
:oops:

sedah

« Reply #188 on: 3 Sep 2009, 05:13 pm »
Welcome aboard Sedah.  That sounds like a nice system.  Do you HAVE to tease with the veneer?!  :green:

What will you use to drive that small "forest"?   What do you need to get done before they show up?

Gotta leave something as mystery right?

The current plan is for the full 7.1 to be set up primarilly for home theater, secondly for 2-chan music. The apartment I'm in at the moment is a bit small though, so it'll likely be a 5.1 set up with a pair of SSIs in my bedroom on a seperate zone (until I move to a place with a better living room set up).

I've got a Dennon 4310 at home (managed to get one off the first boat that brought a shipment to Canada) and am loving the unit. The difference in sound quality, even with my current POS speakers was massive. The features are fantastic, and it's been super easy to set up / deal with.

If it turns out that the Dennon doesn't have the juice to drive the Salks well, I'll look at using it as a pre and pick up a dedicated power amp. Though I seriously doubt that'll be necessary.

Before they show up?
- Finish cleaning my place up
- Reorganize furniture... I'd actually be curious to hear what you guys think of my plans (will have to save that for another post).
- Finish ripping all of my music off of CD -- I'd done this before but I'd ripped to m4p instead of lossless -- and set up a proper media server... may investigate the new AppleTV when it comes out.

K Shep

« Reply #189 on: 3 Sep 2009, 09:49 pm »
Nuance,
you have 712 posts

711 for salk

Mike

So Mike, you decided to wade into this pool and drop a turd?  Sir, don't you have anything better to do or say?  If you are not going to contribute or say something of value to the thread please stay away.  I think you are barking up the wrong tree.  Or should I just call you a troll and shame on me for falling for it?

Kirk

topround

« Reply #190 on: 3 Sep 2009, 10:23 pm »
Kirk,
I really wasn't trying to stir anything up. My experiences here on AC have been wonderful, I have met so many great, enthusiatic and generous people.

I just see this forum becoming so single minded, and that bothers me.

Do you have a right to exist in your own little circle, of course, but we are a community, at least that is how I view this place.
Be friendly neighbors and mingle a bit, we all have something to share and learn. The fan boy mentality is downright scary and shuts out reality.

Having Salk speakers is great, but there is so much more

K Shep

« Reply #191 on: 3 Sep 2009, 10:42 pm »
Mike, 

I was waiting for the "fan boy" card.  My experience has been comfortable here too.  Unlike the other forum that critisizes if you post your impression of component or speaker.

IMO your post stirs it up.  You reffered to someone as an "automaton".  You looked the guy up and reviewed his posting history.  Why not send an IM and introduce yourself?  I try not to spread negative energy and in my opinion that is what you did. 

Kirk 

TJHUB

« Reply #192 on: 3 Sep 2009, 10:55 pm »
Kirk,
I really wasn't trying to stir anything up. My experiences here on AC have been wonderful, I have met so many great, enthusiatic and generous people.

I just see this forum becoming so single minded, and that bothers me.

Do you have a right to exist in your own little circle, of course, but we are a community, at least that is how I view this place.
Be friendly neighbors and mingle a bit, we all have something to share and learn. The fan boy mentality is downright scary and shuts out reality.

Having Salk speakers is great, but there is so much more

It is difficult to argue your point Mike.  Emotiva is a GREAT example of single minded, fan boy mentality.  I always laugh to myself when so many members of the Emo forum make statements about how fantastic all of their new products are going to be.  It's even funnier when their new releases aren't so great.  Nonetheless, the fan boy "u rah rah" all day long.

As far as Salk goes, I suppose the same seems true.  But know that Nuance gets to listen to a lot of stuff.  He has very good ears (or at least very similar to mine which are of course PERFECT), and his judgments are worthy of consideration.  Is he a fan boy?  Maybe.  But I'm as much of a fan boy of Salk products as he is while being a little less public.  I do enjoy the opportunity to GTG with Nuance and other Wisconsin area people to listen to new and different stuff while sharing thoughts.

I don't know where to go from here...  :lol: except...

SALK SPEAKERS RULE!!!!  :thumb: 

stereodad

« Reply #193 on: 3 Sep 2009, 11:00 pm »
Topround

Your post is so over the top it is ridiculous.Having called the people here fanboys I am sure everybody will post more in other circles.

Without thought, post are a mistake.

topround

« Reply #194 on: 4 Sep 2009, 02:20 am »
Nevermind
I knew you would never understand

Just forget I posted here
I will never again, don't post a response I will not read it

BTW I have 2 friends with Salk speakers and they both sound great, so it is not a knock to Salk, not at all.
If I stirred something up it was the truth, if it stirred something in you, then the truth bothered you.
I am in search of beauty and truth when it comes to audio, I could give a rats ass what the nameplate says on my speakers or what friggin veneer I chose.
I just heard a pair of speakers that look like they were made by a teenager with very little woodworking skills and no power tools.
They will blow away any speaker Salk can make, because they were designed by a genius, not a woodworker.
I listen in the dark, my ugly black speakers look like shit, and i could care less what they look like, it is about music and the experience that comes from it.  That is what rules, this obsession with materialism is bad for this hobby. I am not trying to take the moral high ground, just get back to what counts, what this is all about.

Let the banning begin

Mike

JDUBS

« Reply #195 on: 4 Sep 2009, 02:45 am »
Nevermind

BTW I have 2 friends with Salk speakers and they both sound great, so it is not a knock to Salk, not at all.
If I stirred something up it was the truth, if it stirred something in you, then the truth bothered you.
I am in search of beauty and truth when it comes to audio, I could give a rats ass what the nameplate says on my speakers or what friggin veneer I chose.
I just heard a pair of speakers that look like they were made by a teenager with very little woodworking skills and no power tools.
They will blow away any speaker Salk can make, because they were designed by a genius, not a woodworker.
I listen in the dark, my ugly black speakers look like shit, and i could care less what they look like, it is about music and the experience that comes from it.  That is what rules, this obsession with materialism is bad for this hobby. I am not trying to take the moral high ground, just get back to what counts, what this is all about.

Let the banning begin

Mike

What do your "ugly'' speakers have to do with anything?  Who cares why you are into this hobby?  It has zero relevance to the Salk circle.

K Shep

« Reply #196 on: 4 Sep 2009, 02:52 am »
Nevermind
I knew you would never understand...

Mike

Mike,

I understand, you insulted me.  I am going to stick up for myself every time you insult me.  I get why you are here.  IMO we all need to think a little before we fire off a post that "stirs it up". 

Kirk

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #197 on: 4 Sep 2009, 03:50 am »
Nevermind

Let the banning begin

Mike

Hmmmmm.   I was was kind of with you until that last post.  Now I don't have a clue what you're talking about.  Anyone who listens to a Salk speaker and doesn't like it is perfectly welcome to post here.  It's a wide open forum.  Just for the record, Salk speakers aren't designed by a "woodworker."  They're a collaborative effort by a number of people, at least one of whom doesn't know a router from roto-rooter. 

stereodad

« Reply #198 on: 4 Sep 2009, 04:15 am »
This was never about not liking Salk speakers.He was telling other people how they should go about this hobby with insults.Other speakers are chosen over Salks every day, so what.It's just a hobby, we should all enjoy it as we please.

Larry

K Shep

« Reply #199 on: 4 Sep 2009, 04:54 am »

Ok...let's get this thread back on track. 

Bob,
A small forest?  That is so funny.  I hope you don't mind if I tuck that away in my memory bank for use at a later date. 

Sedah,
You have the beginnings of a great system.