Owner Impressions, Delivery Times and Things to Do While You Wait

Nuance

Re: A Place to Salk While Waiting
« Reply #220 on: 5 Sep 2009, 05:59 am »
Nuance is OK. ...  I know he operates a hair salon in Tokyo.

There is a rumor that massage is also available.
Oh dear...   :lol:

srb

« Reply #221 on: 5 Sep 2009, 06:24 am »
I plan to use the USB out [of the Airport Express] to a integrated amp with USB, like the Peachtree Nova.

I could be wrong, but I think the only things you can do with the USB port on an Airport Express is either share a USB printer or connect a third-party Airport Express remote.  I don't think you get get a USB audio stream out of it. (?)

Steve

K Shep

« Reply #222 on: 5 Sep 2009, 05:19 pm »
Thanks Steve,

I am planning to utilize the Express in a distributed audio application.  I have a Mac Mini that lives in my listening room.  So I would locate the Express in a different part of the house and connect it to a receiver or integrated amp.

I just did a bit of follow up and you are correct.  The connection for audio is a "Mini-stereo-to-RCA-cable" or a "Toslink-to-mini digital fiber optic cable".  I favor the RCA cable for sound quality.  I also have to keep in mind that this little system is back ground music, but I still will try to achieve the best available sound.  I was chatting with a friend who suggested powered speakers. 

Perhaps this exercise calls for a new thread?  More to learn.

Kirk

srb

« Reply #223 on: 5 Sep 2009, 05:50 pm »
Kirk,

I am using an Airport Express in the bedroom with analog out to a pair of remote-controlled Kanto powered speakers, and it sounds OK.

If I were going into an amp or receiver that had a better integrated DAC (how good can the DAC be in a $99 Airport Express?), I would probably want to try the Toslink output.

One of the few third-party Airport Express remotes I've seen, the Tripp Lite URM-17A (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880109001&Tpk=airport%20express%20remote) doesn't support Vista 64 (!) which is what I have, but would work with the MAC Mini and give full iTunes control.

So, in my case, I'm glad I have remote controlled speakers, but if I had a MAC setup or a 32bit Windows and wanted the simplicity of powered speakers, I would get one of those remotes and my speaker choice would most likely be a pair of the Audioengine A5 powered speakers at an MSRP of $350.  They also have a version in solid bamboo enclosures (A5N) for $100 more.   :drool:

Steve

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #224 on: 5 Sep 2009, 07:23 pm »
For those interested in an external DAC:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350248996989&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I don't know the details, but the seller is an established AVA forum member.  Notwithstanding, if anyone were interested in the DAC, they might want to contact Frank.

nocrapman

« Reply #225 on: 8 Sep 2009, 07:44 pm »
I have been a long time lurker...
I didnt want to start a separate thread about this but I am very excited as I finally ordered a pair of Song towers in maple on friday! Now the long and painful wait. I am very tempted to just  buy the cherry that became available for immediate sale. But something tells me that the wait might be worth it.
  I will initially be powering these with a Primaluna Prolouge 1 Int-amp and a Rotel pre and NAD 272 combo. I will keep whatever sounds better and sell the other system.
Thanks for reading guys!!!

Nuance

« Reply #226 on: 8 Sep 2009, 08:25 pm »
Hey, congrats and welcome to the Salk family!

You've got a nice backbone system there, so I look forward to which pieces(s) you keep.  Keep us posted. 

vintagebob

« Reply #227 on: 8 Sep 2009, 09:27 pm »
I didnt want to start a separate thread about this but I am very excited as I finally ordered a pair of Song towers in maple on friday! Now the long and painful wait. I am very tempted to just  buy the cherry that became available for immediate sale. But something tells me that the wait might be worth it.
  I will initially be powering these with a Primaluna Prolouge 1 Int-amp and a Rotel pre and NAD 272 combo. I will keep whatever sounds better and sell the other system.

Hey, welcome aboard!  Did you get your SongTowers with the dome or ribbon tweeter?

stc4life

« Reply #228 on: 8 Sep 2009, 09:47 pm »
Tomorrow is 09/09/09 and will be my "day 90."  Fingers crossed for good luck... aa

vintagebob

« Reply #229 on: 8 Sep 2009, 11:40 pm »
Tomorrow is 09/09/09 and will be my "day 90."  Fingers crossed for good luck... aa

OK, I'm pulling for you!  Maybe I can ride your coat tails.  I'm hoping for some good news soon as well.

floresjc

« Reply #230 on: 9 Sep 2009, 06:46 am »
I've got about 2 weeks left. The ST and SongCenter are pretty much done, and the HT2-TL's are not far behind. The drivers and amp from Rythmik are on the way to Jim now, so realistically it'll be 2-3 weeks before they are in my house. Not too bad!

vintagebob

« Reply #231 on: 9 Sep 2009, 02:28 pm »
I've got about 2 weeks left. The ST and SongCenter are pretty much done, and the HT2-TL's are not far behind. The drivers and amp from Rythmik are on the way to Jim now, so realistically it'll be 2-3 weeks before they are in my house. Not too bad!

Sounds like everything is coming together nicely.  You probably need a spreadsheet to keep track of all of the Salk and AVA gear and their delivery dates.  ; ) 

It should be a great homecoming!  :thumb:

floresjc

« Reply #232 on: 9 Sep 2009, 02:54 pm »
Nah, no spreadsheet. But my gmail makes it look like I work for UPS. All the AVA gear is home, just waiting on the speakers!

nocrapman

« Reply #233 on: 9 Sep 2009, 05:50 pm »

Hey, welcome aboard!  Did you get your SongTowers with the dome or ribbon tweeter?
Thanks!
I got the standard options with the dome tweeter!

nocrapman

« Reply #234 on: 9 Sep 2009, 05:52 pm »
Hey, congrats and welcome to the Salk family!

You've got a nice backbone system there, so I look forward to which pieces(s) you keep.  Keep us posted.

Thanks!
Cant wait to hear how the ST sound on those very different systems - Tube vs SS!!
Did you ever get to compare the STs with the WAF-1s?

vintagebob

« Reply #235 on: 12 Sep 2009, 02:13 pm »
UPDATE

So I ordered an AVA Insight DAC as well as an AVA Insight Preamp (EC) to handle the Airport Express, turntable and probably the OPPO as a CD transport.  I have an old Panasonic RP-91 DVD player that I may use as the CD transport instead.  Shoot, I could even use my old Panasonic LaserDisc player.  It always sounded good with CDs.

I've also been ripping my CD collection to AIFF and I'm about 70% done.  When I got my Beatles Mono set I just ripped all of the CDs and put it away.  The convenience of the Airport Express/iPhone setup is seductive!

stc4life, how did your 9/9/09 plan work out?  I didn't get any news...

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #236 on: 12 Sep 2009, 05:01 pm »
vintageb:

You are going to like the Insight DAC and the Insight preamp combination.  The detail is extraordinary, and the low end output is phenomenal.  In my system, I have better sound quality using my iMac as a source than using a CDP as a transport.  I run a toslink cable from the iMac's 3.5mm optical jack to an Inday switcher, which converts the toslink output to a digital coax output that runs into the Insight DAC's digital coax input. 

I think that you will need a toslink to coax adapter between your Airport Express' optical output and the Insight DAC's coax input.  If so, a member posted an Inday switcher for a great price on the AVA forum. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71000.0 

Otherwise, I have a spare adapter, an inexpensive monoprice version, that I would be happy to send you gratis.

vintagebob

« Reply #237 on: 12 Sep 2009, 10:08 pm »
vintageb:

You are going to like the Insight DAC and the Insight preamp combination.  The detail is extraordinary, and the low end output is phenomenal.  In my system, I have better sound quality using my iMac as a source than using a CDP as a transport.  I run a toslink cable from the iMac's 3.5mm optical jack to an Inday switcher, which converts the toslink output to a digital coax output that runs into the Insight DAC's digital coax input. 

I think that you will need a toslink to coax adapter between your Airport Express' optical output and the Insight DAC's coax input.  If so, a member posted an Inday switcher for a great price on the AVA forum. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71000.0 

Otherwise, I have a spare adapter, an inexpensive monoprice version, that I would be happy to send you gratis.

Wow, thanks!  That is amazingly kind of you.  :thumb:

But...I have already ordered one of the Monoprice adapters.  :oops:  Do you think that the Inday is a better way to go?

Thanks for your feedback on the Insight DAC & preamp.   I'm looking forward to listening to the entire AVA Insight setup.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #238 on: 12 Sep 2009, 11:55 pm »
I couldn't hear any difference with either the monoprice adapter or the Inday switcher.  I opted for the Inday switcher because I was feeding both a computer's output and a CDP's output into the same DAC.

stc4life

« Reply #239 on: 13 Sep 2009, 04:29 am »
UPDATE

So I ordered an AVA Insight DAC as well as an AVA Insight Preamp (EC) to handle the Airport Express, turntable and probably the OPPO as a CD transport.  I have an old Panasonic RP-91 DVD player that I may use as the CD transport instead.  Shoot, I could even use my old Panasonic LaserDisc player.  It always sounded good with CDs.

I've also been ripping my CD collection to AIFF and I'm about 70% done.  When I got my Beatles Mono set I just ripped all of the CDs and put it away.  The convenience of the Airport Express/iPhone setup is seductive!

stc4life, how did your 9/9/09 plan work out?  I didn't get any news...

Unfortunately, I guess 9 is not my lucky number... :cry:  I did get a great deal on a used Rythmik F12SE today thought - Too bad I don't have any other speakers to use it with.  I will need to get a SPL meter and set it up, so i guess that will keep me busy for a little while. 

Anyone else heard anything?